• filter:
  • 1 234546
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
With the year about to wrap up, I figured it was a good time to restart a heavy hitters thread (the previous one, http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1066749/ , I can't seem to post to). So, who is making more $1,000.00 or more per month and how are you doing it?

I missed the Chase AARP card (still very sad about that). Still had a good year; I earned out just over $14,000 for the year, with at least $1000 to be paid out in 2013 (but earned in 2012). No special tricks, just the standard ones employed by most of us (like MC/Visa GCs from the supermarket using AMEX Blue). It was an everyday grind, with lots of new credit inquiries that have took me out of the game for a couple months while I wait for my credit to improve.

I hope I can make more and spend less time doing it next year (spent about 300 hours in research+implementation time to get to $14,000). To be honest, this is the real reason I started this thread; for those of us spending hours every week on FWF, what strategies do you use to minimize research time here and maximize rewards? I have tried using the filters from the left hand side of the start page, but they don't work so great and I missed deals that way.

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Green for using big words and stuff

longwood8 (Apr. 01, 2014 @ 4:18p) |

I learned from a TV show that video recording, even if it contains audio, doesn't have the same legal rules and restrict... (more)

scripta (Apr. 01, 2014 @ 5:35p) |

I FWL. The only place I prefer to get my legal advice from over FWL is TV.

(edit: well isn't that emoticon cute)

BingBlangBlaow (Apr. 01, 2014 @ 9:02p) |

rated:
No one can post to the old thread because it's been archived.

rated:
We started putting cameras and mics in everything from tvs and computers to toilets so we don't miss out on any deals.

rated:
brandon032586 said:    So, who is making more $1,000.00 or more per year and how are you doing it?

$1000 per year? Standards have really gone down. People save that much swiping their keychain card at the supermarket.

rated:
Heavy hitters (as I used in the prior thread) is $1000/month , not per year

3 good cc bonuses yield more than $1000/year anyone can accomplish that

rated:
See my sign up bonus aor thread. It gave me $4300 in value. Started 9/20. So that's $1400/month for the last three months. About time to tee up tee up my wife's aor.

rated:
brandon032586 said:    who is making more $1,000.00 or more per year and how are you doing it?
A popular route to profitability starts with any CC paying 5%, buying whatever cash equivalents arent yet disallowed, and redeeming them at a cost of around 3%. then, as you described, its just lots of logistics and hard work. Whether that makes $1000/year, month, or whatever depends on your credit limit mostly.

rated:
Sorry, I did mean $1000/month. Will look at the AOR thread as that seems interesting.

rated:
I owe a big thank you to the SIS and the original thread, as it motivated me to find new and better ways to maximize profits. The information in that thread combined with easy access to high CB cards, my total profit post fees/costs was ~35-40 this year. I'm hoping future promos open up so the next two years can be as good as the past 2.

rated:
ironfist99 said:   I owe a big thank you to the SIS and the original thread, as it motivated me to find new and better ways to maximize profits. The information in that thread combined with easy access to high CB cards, my total profit post fees/costs was ~35-40 this year. I'm hoping future promos open up so the next two years can be as good as the past 2.

Wow, $40,000! I have heard rumors of people making six figures off of FW stuff, but even 40 grand sounds insane. Any one particular bonus that stood out, or was it just a consistent bonus from different Cards?

rated:
we ALL owe a big thank you to SIS. between his smarts and his generous sharing, he should win fatwalleter of the year!

and thanks to everyone else in the fatwallet community! wishes for a merry christmas, happy healthy and a prosperous new year!

rated:
brandon032586 said:   ironfist99 said:   I owe a big thank you to the SIS and the original thread, as it motivated me to find new and better ways to maximize profits. The information in that thread combined with easy access to high CB cards, my total profit post fees/costs was ~35-40 this year. I'm hoping future promos open up so the next two years can be as good as the past 2.

Wow, $40,000! I have heard rumors of people making six figures off of FW stuff, but even 40 grand sounds insane. Any one particular bonus that stood out, or was it just a consistent bonus from different Cards?

$40,000?

$40,000/0.05 = $800,000 spent.

How?

rated:
Looking4morecents said:   brandon032586 said:   ironfist99 said:   I owe a big thank you to the SIS and the original thread, as it motivated me to find new and better ways to maximize profits. The information in that thread combined with easy access to high CB cards, my total profit post fees/costs was ~35-40 this year. I'm hoping future promos open up so the next two years can be as good as the past 2.

$40,000?

$40,000/0.05 = $800,000 spent.

How?

Just to clarify - he said this was AFTER fees and other costs were accounted for. So the actual Cash Back/rebate amount had to have been (perhaps significantly) more than $40k.

rated:
^^ which means the spend likely had to be higher than 800k....

rated:
I have not been paying much attention this year, so have just a minimal amount of Cash Back. Need to get back in the game.

rated:
Haven't technically hit the $1k/month mark because the last 6 months have been more on the AOR/CC bonus side of things...

Since the end of July for me, first AOR:
106k American Airline miles
51k Southwest points
$250 in Penfed gift cards

In the middle of my wife's first AOR which will result in:
110k AA miles
40k US Air miles
50k Marriott points + 1 free night + $75 statement credit
85k AMEX Membership Reward points

Also got $100 in Small Biz Saturday free spend, plus about $100 in statement credits from AMEX Sync over the last 6 months.

We will eventually use the AA miles for 1st class tix to Europe worth ~$4-6k, so for about 6 months of spend that's about $1k/month...

Add to that about $120/month in RCA/HY account interest...

Looking to really ramp it up this year. Once wife's AOR is done I'll line up my 2nd... but looking for more ideas. Just found a good GC deal that I'm going to ramp up my risk and hope it works out!

rated:
^^^ if you're ramping up on AORs for Europe. You and you wife should look into the usbank club Carlson card. 2 apps= 160k pts. If you your Europe in a bunch of 2 night stays... That's 6-8 niights at least.

rated:
Old thread was classic, thanks SIS.

BTW, am I the only one who has ever wondered when Staples is going to offer SIS a cash payout for his password, just to retire his FW screen name?

rated:
Speaking of Staples...I didn't necessarily make $1000 a month from any one deal but it was from a combination of things. For example, each month I picked up at least $80 from Staples by recycling catridges on mine and my wife's account. Most months it was over $100 due to small money makers and FAR stuff. Some months I did CC bonuses and bank sign up bonuses. One month, I got into selling the Monster cereals that someone had mentioned here. I bought about 30 at $1.50 and sold each one on eBay for $12 each so that was a couple hundred for that month.

In that way, I probably hit $400 - $500 a month. Not the $1000 that the heavy hitters are getting but my point is that sometimes a whole bunch of small deals can add up each month. It's good to have a small list of these recurring easy small deals for some of the dryer months.

ph12321 said:   Old thread was classic, thanks SIS.

BTW, am I the only one who has ever wondered when Staples is going to offer SIS a cash payout for his password, just to retire his FW screen name?

rated:
I ain't gonna kill a golden goose but I'm getting 5% interest on a liquid bank account up to a max of 50k with no requirements for debit card use etc $208/mo

Then I still have a grandfathered 5% CashBack card for drug stores that sell vanilla pudding. $200 mo

Chase ink for Amazon payments. $150/mo

Apply for 4 cards per year offering ~$300 bonus. $100/mo

Total net about $650/mo

rated:
i must really be missing something here, i have a 5% cb card and having a hard time charging enough to make $$$. currently rebuilding credit so no AOR for now I always find these threads helpfull but just not doing a good enough job of "reading between the lines". Would appreciate if someone care to PM me details of their "tricks". these of course would be kept confidential.

rated:
07pilot4me said:   i must really be missing something here, i have a 5% cb card and having a hard time charging enough to make $$$. currently rebuilding credit so no AOR for now I always find these threads helpfull but just not doing a good enough job of "reading between the lines". Would appreciate if someone care to PM me details of their "tricks". these of course would be kept confidential.

Um, the tricks are all over the boards. In general, you cannot make $12,000 in a year without at least a few good CC sign up bonuses. Unless you spend a crazy amount each year.

A perhaps better statistic for comparison is (free money from FWF stuff)/(total income from the year). Making $12,000/year means a whole lot less if your salary is $250,000 a year, and a hell of a lot more (and probably harder) if your w2 income is only $30,000 a year.

rated:
badsister said:   we ALL owe a big thank you to SIS. between his smarts and his generous sharing, he should win fatwalleter of the year!

and thanks to everyone else in the fatwallet community! wishes for a merry christmas, happy healthy and a prosperous new year!

Thank you for the warm wishes.
I just want to see everyone make money.

Even though the 5% bank accounts have dwindled , the ability to make giant sums from unllmited cc rewards programs has never been better.

rated:
07pilot4me said:   i must really be missing something here, i have a 5% cb card and having a hard time charging enough to make $$$. currently rebuilding credit so no AOR for now I always find these threads helpfull but just not doing a good enough job of "reading between the lines". Would appreciate if someone care to PM me details of their "tricks". these of course would be kept confidential.

Send it over, I would be glad to take 5% cb card off your hands.

rated:
Hit $760k in spend on my last month of AARP spending in the spring.
Hit $700k in spend last month on AMEX BCP.
Roughly 40-50% net profit level.
Still churning a few much lower volume targets but at higher profit margins. Haven't paid for gas since summer.

All activities except the last one are well documented on fwf.

rated:
Venturion said:   Hit $760k in spend on my last month of AARP spending in the spring.
Still churning a few much lower volume targets but at higher profit margins. Haven't paid for gas since summer.

Not even a penny per gallon? I am aware of an undocumented program where this is possible. I would be doing it myself but the stores are well outside my area. What's you CL with AMEX BCP? That is an astronomical number.

rated:
Venturion said:   Hit $760k in spend on my last month of AARP spending in the spring.

Wait, 40-50% profit, there very few deals that I have seen that give that much profit. How is that possible?

I use AMEX BCP, and the best deals I get are around 18% when my grocery store runs GC specials.

If you really are making that much profit, does it matter if the card gives 5-6% Cash Back?

rated:
nm

rated:
Brandon, 40-50% net profit on the Cash Back, not the purchase volume.

rated:
Vanilla, I do pay about a few pennies per gallon. It's like $1.25 to $1.90 total per fillup.

My bcp cl is $100k thanks to the aor clr days. Been thru one FR without problem a few years ago.

rated:
Venturion said:   Vanilla, I do pay about a penny per gallon. It's like $1.25 to $1.90 total per fillup.

My bcp cl is $100k thanks to the aor clr days. Been thru one FR without problem a years ago.

I'm assuming this deal has something to do with the numerous grocery store "pump reward" programs. Unfortunately for me the local store caps the max off at 1 dollar per gallon of gas.

rated:
I agree that $1K per month is the minimum for Heavy Hitters.

That said, those of us who want to expend less effort can easily hit $3 - 5K per year.

I've made in that range between credit card sign-ups and ink cartridge (Office Max, Staples & Office Depot) recycling alone in each of the past three years. I sign up for any credit card where I can get at least $250 from sign up with minimal restrictions (i.e. $1,000 or less in purchases to receive the bonus).

Cartridges bring in about $1K with credit cards about $4K on average.

rated:
Where do you get all those ink cartridges?

rated:
mastroadam said:   Where do you get all those ink cartridges?

eBay.
I got 600 unused empty carts for like $45.
So that's like an extra $74/month for me from OD, OM and Staples.

rated:
I found a local source that seems to be OK with my heavy hitting. They have to know about it... I mean they have sent me hand addressed packages filled with my "rewards".

For me the experience has gone like this...

1. Find a potential/theoretical target that could be used for extra income.
2. Test the waters by doing a few small purchases/transactions/referrals etc.
3. Scale up moderately for a few months. Just enough where I could create an excuse that would give plausible deniability if I were confronted about it.
4. Become shameless... make identical/similar transactions every day - sometimes multiple times per day. Huge amounts... maxing out credit card limits, then going back for more. Use unconventional means... involve family/friends etc.

I still get the feeling that I'm a lot more conservative with my heavy hitting than a lot of people here. It seems like a lot of people find a theoretical source of heavy hitting income, test it briefly, then go straight to being shameless, hoping to scrape together as much as possible as quickly as possible before being shut down.

rated:
I feel like I missed out on a lot of deals. Should have paid more attention to SIS's threads among others. I took advantage of a few credit card deals, but never netted more than 1k-2k/year. I use about 30k on credit cards/year for business and personal. As many others have mentioned, I am thankful we have unselfish people on this forum that shows the ropes on how to profit by doing a little work. I hope that we can all benefit from the new deals in 2013. If I can net $1k/month, I'd be using that money towards reducing my giant debt. I have no credit card balances from purchases and try to live a balanced life. I figure, the quicker I reduce my debt, the more money I save in the long run. I often dream about posting a thread about my current situation and see what kind of advice I can receive from FWers. But I'm rather embarrassed and just not comfortable asking strangers about financial advice.

I've read a few successful threads and it's amazing to see how people go about solving their financial problems whether it's through stroke of luck or through hard work and perseverance.

rated:
A lot of heavy hitters also have businesses, etc that allows them to significantly increase their CB/rewards. And good for them for taking advantage of this.

As an office professional, I'm content with earning 5k UR every month with minimal effort and spend.

rated:
Venturion, Do you file taxes for the $$ you make on what you do?

rated:
jqsmooth said:   

I often dream about posting a thread about my current situation and see what kind of advice I can receive from FWers. But I'm rather embarrassed and just not comfortable asking strangers about financial advice.

e.

No need to be embarrassed here - we don't know you. That's the beauty of a finance forum - we can discuss financial topics with each other that may be too embarrassing to tell family or friends

Plus we usually give better financial tips than most family or Friends

Skipping 1778 Messages...
rated:
I FWL. The only place I prefer to get my legal advice from over FWL is TV.

(edit: well isn't that emoticon cute)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 234546
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014