New FWF Heavy Hitters thread

Archived From: Finance
  • 142434445 46
  • Page
  • Text Only
SpeedingLunatic said:   I have seen store managers run out the door after someone to write down their plate#. (Not WM, but I'm sure WM would do it too.)
  i have learned from my many trips to WM that they have a plain-clothed individual walking around the store keeping tabs on everyone. it would be very easy for someone like that to call the police and follow you to your car without you ever knowing they were keeping track.

makinbutter said:   
SpeedingLunatic said:   I have seen store managers run out the door after someone to write down their plate#. (Not WM, but I'm sure WM would do it too.)
  i have learned from my many trips to WM that they have a plain-clothed individual walking around the store keeping tabs on everyone. it would be very easy for someone like that to call the police and follow you to your car without you ever knowing they were keeping track.

Come to think of it, I've seen these guys stop someone at the door @ WM on the way out.

makinbutter said:   

this does little to change my impression of the money center as being some dystopian black market inside of a terry gilliam movie.  the juxtaposition of all the oddities i've seen there is profound.

theeipi said:   if it makes you feel any better, i used 15 $200 GCs at WalMart to billpay my credit cards. When I left WalMart I was immediately pulled over by cops that WalMart had called for suspiscious activity. Showed the police my WM receipt and my bestbuy receipt where i purchased the giftcards earlier that day, was done in 15 minutes, but man was I mad.
  Not to go all citizens rights, but why even talk to them? You're better off keeping your mouth shut. Turn on the recorder on your phone. Set it next to you. Ask them if you are free to go or if you are being detained. You did nothing illegal, they had no reason to question you. 

eighnull said:   
makinbutter said:   

this does little to change my impression of the money center as being some dystopian black market inside of a terry gilliam movie.  the juxtaposition of all the oddities i've seen there is profound.

Green for Gilliam reference.

isobro said:   
theeipi said:   if it makes you feel any better, i used 15 $200 GCs at WalMart to billpay my credit cards. When I left WalMart I was immediately pulled over by cops that WalMart had called for suspiscious activity. Showed the police my WM receipt and my bestbuy receipt where i purchased the giftcards earlier that day, was done in 15 minutes, but man was I mad.
  Not to go all citizens rights, but why even talk to them? You're better off keeping your mouth shut. Turn on the recorder on your phone. Set it next to you. Ask them if you are free to go or if you are being detained. You did nothing illegal, they had no reason to question you. 

If you think doing that to the police is going to end well for you, then you've never been to youtube.

corporateclaw said:   isobro said:   theeipi said:   if it makes you feel any better, i used 15 $200 GCs at WalMart to billpay my credit cards. When I left WalMart I was immediately pulled over by cops that WalMart had called for suspiscious activity. Showed the police my WM receipt and my bestbuy receipt where i purchased the giftcards earlier that day, was done in 15 minutes, but man was I mad.Not to go all citizens rights, but why even talk to them? You're better off keeping your mouth shut. Turn on the recorder on your phone. Set it next to you. Ask them if you are free to go or if you are being detained. You did nothing illegal, they had no reason to question you. If you think doing that to the police is going to end well for you, then you've never been to youtube.Record, just don't let them know you're recording.

I always bring a pile of receipts with me just in case. I'd prefer to cooperate and be on my way rather than spending the night in jail while the local deputies get up to speed on MS.

scripta said:   
corporateclaw said:   
isobro said:   

If you think doing that to the police is going to end well for you, then you've never been to youtube.

Record, just don't let them know you're recording.

But check the laws in your state first, as that might be illegal.  Or stop making it so complex.  Get the gift cards back as soon as possible, leave, and move on with your life.

scripta said:   
corporateclaw said:   
isobro said:   

Record, just don't let them know you're recording.

I would tell them this interrogation is being recorded for quality or training purposes.

tehlorax said:   scripta said:   Record, just don't let them know you're recording.But check the laws in your state first, as that might be illegal
Hmm, I thought such regulations only apply to the recording of telephone calls ?

xoneinax said:   
tehlorax said:   
scripta said:   Record, just don't let them know you're recording.
But check the laws in your state first, as that might be illegal

Hmm, I thought such regulations only apply to the recording of telephone calls ?

Prob state by state. Here's MA's two party consent law, including in-person conversations.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/massachusetts-recording-law

xoneinax said:   
tehlorax said:   

Nope.  I seem to recall that was one way police were using to fight people who record police abuse with cell phones.  All parties have to consent to audio recording in many states.

tehlorax said:   
xoneinax said:   
tehlorax said:   

Nope.  I seem to recall that was one way police were using to fight people who record police abuse with cell phones.  All parties have to consent to audio recording in many states.

I think in most states the actual law is that if you are in a public place you have no expectation of privacy, but that there is generally a caveat that if you are "disturbing" a police investigation, and since they can't violate the constitution with you recording them, any sort of recording is considered disturbing their investigation, so then it's illegal in most/every state to record the police. Even in the states where it's not illegal, try explaining that to them while you're being curb-stomped.

So, either presume it's illegal to record the police or presume that even if it's not illegal you're about to have a real shitty day if you do it.

corporateclaw said:   
tehlorax said:   
xoneinax said:   
tehlorax said:   

I think in most states the actual law is that if you are in a public place you have no expectation of privacy, but that there is generally a caveat that if you are "disturbing" a police investigation, and since they can't violate the constitution with you recording them, any sort of recording is considered disturbing their investigation, so then it's illegal in most/every state to record the police. Even in the states where it's not illegal, try explaining that to them while you're being curb-stomped.

So, either presume it's illegal to record the police or presume that even if it's not illegal you're about to have a real shitty day if you do it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/01/...

Here's an example of what I was talking about.  It seems in the end that these people got away with it (as they should have).  However, dealing with a curbstomp or a lengthy court battle may not be worth it.

eighnull said:   this does little to change my impression of the money center as being some dystopian black market inside of a terry gilliam movie.  the juxtaposition of all the oddities i've seen there is profound.

Green for using big words and stuff

I learned from a TV show that video recording, even if it contains audio, doesn't have the same legal rules and restrictions as pure audio recording.

Cops should have no expectation of privacy when executing their duties in public. Record first, deal with the legality later if you have to. Don't tell them, because they're not likely to consent and you'd just piss them off.

*IANAL and this isn't legal advice. I just think the current system is wrong and needs to be fixed.

I FWL. The only place I prefer to get my legal advice from over FWL is TV.

(edit: well isn't that emoticon cute)

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 142434445 46
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014