• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Figured out a slightly faster way of getting to the VAN flash app. Use this URL:
https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do?SYNC_TOKEN=

*UPDATE* Per scripta's reply below, you don't even need the "?SYNC_TOKEN=" part, so this URL works as well:
https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do

If already logged into your Citi account, the URL above should simply launch the VAN pop-up flash app, the end.

If not yet logged in to your Citi account, it should prompt you to login. Upon logging in, it should redirect to the "Account Home" page. At that point, either overwrite the current URL w/ the one above, or paste the URL above into a new browser TAB / browser WINDOW (of the same browser session).

Tested the above in IE9 only.

*EDIT* The above is slight a variation of what Gpz1100 previously posted in this thread:

Gpz1100 said:   1) login to CitiCards.com
2) tools/services, get virtual account number
3) click green launch now button
4) toggle agree and click accept
5) on the next screen, record the url for the launch button.

https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do?SYNC_TOKEN={some token hash here}

save that to a favorite

Next time

1) Login to CitiCards.com
2) click on favorite from #5 above. The VAN interface will open in a new tab/window.

It's not as robust as a direct link, but does eliminate a few clicks in between.

only my instructions leave out a saved "SYNC_TOKEN" value (as Citi appears to generate a new one each time)

Ads by Google
rated:
don't need the "?SYNC_TOKEN=" in that URL.

rated:
Doesn't work for me. If I log in and then enter that URL it just prompts me for login/pass again. I am using latest Firefox.

rated:
Ah... this link (https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do) only works when logged in to creditcards.citi.com, which is the login site for accountonline.com. It does NOT work when logged in to online.citibank.com, which just uses technological trickery to move your logon info between citibank.com and accountonline.com if you wish to view your credit cards from your banking profile.

rated:
That's the only place I log in to and it does not work for me. I log in to CitiCards.com then enter that URL in the address bar and it just gives me the login page.

rated:
Please re-read my post -- I edited it for clarity.

rated:
Also this might not work if you combined your banking and credit card logins into one some time ago. I've kept mine separated, and I'm using my original citicards credentials to login, and the link works for me.

That may be the culprit.

rated:
Still not working for me. The only account I have with Citi is credit cards.

Log in to creditcards.citi.com then cut and paste in the https URL above, get a login screen again.

rated:
Good try....but does not work....It may work with IE if you are indeed getting success, but that means for us non-windoze folks, we need to get IE in wine or some other way to emulate its runtime.

Tried Chrome and FF, no dice.

rated:
2devnull said:   Good try....but does not work....It may work with IE if you are indeed getting success, but that means for us non-windoze folks, we need to get IE in wine or some other way to emulate its runtime.

Tried Chrome and FF, no dice.
Tested the procedure in FF 17 under Win7x64. Worked fine, although I have FF plug-in NoScript installed, so needed to allow at least the following sites w/ scripting access via NoScript:

  • citi.com
  • accountonline.com

Initially it seemed like another site being used by the login page, iesnare.com, also needed scripting access, but the procedure ended up working fine even w/ that site being denied access.

To recap the procedure:

1) Launch FF
2) If NoScript (or some other plug-in blocking scripting) is installed, permit scripting for citi.com and accountonline.com
3) Navigate to: https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do
4) If prompted to login, successfully login. (If unable to do so, then this process likely won't work for you)
5) Once logged in, paste the URL in step #3 back into your browser session (either in the SAME WINDOW or into a NEW TAB of the same session)

*EDIT* Fixed step numbers.

rated:
Just doesn't work for me on Firefox. I don't have anything blocking javascript.

Every time I cut and paste that URL in and press return it gets rewritten like this:
https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanNext.do?SYNC_TOKEN=3013f351f04d81e1954c06e4a411a470

With a different SYNC_TOKEN each time I either re-paste it (without the SYNC_TOKEN) or just press return in that field (with the existing SYNC_TOKEN being replaced with a new one).

rated:
Space said:   Just doesn't work for me on Firefox. I don't have anything blocking javascript.
Do you have POP-UPS blocked? If so, unblock those as the VAN application pops open in a new (small) window.

*EDIT* You can keep POP-UPS enabled so long as you add an EXCEPTION for "www.accountonline.com"

rated:
I was just informed by a Citi CSR that the Virtual Credit Card feature previously available has been discontinued for AA Citi Exec Mastercards (the high AF and emv chipped) but not other Citi Cards. They said it was some technical problem that applied only to the AA Citi Exec. They offered to open another card which I suppose is one solution but a big PITA.

Interestingly, the Citi CSR was not aware of this initially and it came out after it was escalated to a supervisor who then checked further up.

This is consistent with the online message which was "This account does not have this service" after entering login credentials on the VCC popup. I had been going around for a few days with their internal messaging. They incorrectly thought I was trying to access a closed CC I had switched the account from last summer.

Anyone else have the AAWEMC to verify?

rated:
No pop-up blockers. I even just did a "Help->Restart with Add-ons disabled" and it still did not work after that.
I log in to CitiCards.com, see all my account info, then cut in paste in that URL above and I get the screen asking me for my login info again.

rated:
Space said:   No pop-up blockers. I even just did a "Help->Restart with Add-ons disabled" and it still did not work after that.
I log in to CitiCards.com, see all my account info, then cut in paste in that URL above and I get the screen asking me for my login info again.
Then try skipping the initial step of logging into CitiCards.com. Instead, paste the URL above, login using that URL, then once logged in, paste the URL again. Does it pop open the VAN app? (You will need to login to the VAN app as well, which was always the behavior of that app).

Recap:

1. Open Browser
2. Paste this URL into browser: https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do
3. If prompted to login, do so
4. Re-paste same URL back into browser: https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do
5. You should no longer get prompted to log back in (on the web page itself)
6. VAN app should pop open (where you SHOULD get prompted to login)

rated:
Already tried that, no go.

rated:
Removed

rated:
I don't have a problem with runninq the VAN app in Firefox, as long as I sign in twice and click all the links and check all the boxes to get there.

rated:
VAN works fine with Firefox and Chrome without user agent switching.....pretty crappy Javascript code their developers used but the browsers work fine for navigating and launching the VAN pop-up. The issue is shortening the process, even ideally back to just one shortcut link to launch the pop-up as how it has worked for years.

rated:
2devnull said:   VAN works fine with Firefox and Chrome without user agent switching.....pretty crappy Javascript code their developers used but the browsers work fine for navigating and launching the VAN pop-up. The issue is shortening the process, even ideally back to just one shortcut link to launch the pop-up as how it has worked for years.

You guys are right. I figured out that it was actually javascript being disabled that caused my FF to act up. Ignore my last post.

I sort of found a work around to the process though.
I first installed the iMacros pluggin for FF: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/imacros-for-firef...
Then I created a macro named "citibank.iim" pasted in the following code: http://pastebin.com/3UKYZZzL
Replace CONTENT=USERNAME and CONTENT=PASSWORD with your own login credentials.
Next create a bookmark and set the location as: imacros://run/?m=citibank.iim

Now when you click on this bookmark, it will automatically open up Citi's website, log you in, navigate all of the links, and launch the VAN site. It is still a slow process, but it's one click. If you would rather your password not be saved in FF in plain text, you can edit the macro and remove lines 3-6. Then run the bookmark after you manually log into the Citi homepage.

rated:
^^^ I gave you green, not because I verified it, but because I think that's awesome.

Just keep in mind that with this solution your login credentials are stored on the disk in clear text. Don't get hacked.

rated:
scripta said:   ^^^ I gave you green, not because I verified it, but because I think that's awesome.

Just keep in mind that with this solution your login credentials are stored on the disk in clear text. Don't get hacked.


Thanks! I'm not too worried because this is such an obscure place for a hacker to look for my password. If they have hacked my computer, they could just as easily log my keyboard entries. It also makes no difference if my credit card is compromised. So long as you catch the fraudulent charges, you'll be refunded.

But the ideal solution would be for Citi to pull their heads out of their... and just make a single link you can go to.

rated:
For the last 2 or 3 months, I've noticed that if third-party cookies are blocked in either FireFox or Safari (MacOS), clicking on ANY link after successfully logging in to CitiCards.com (or citibankonline.com), even seconds later, usually results in a "We haven't heard from you in a while....Please sign-on again" message, along with a password prompt (a single text field for password beneath an uneditable display of "Current User ID").

Make sure third-party cookies aren't being blocked and try again (yes, this is also unacceptably annoying and probably the work of some outsourced third-world programmer that citi pays $1 per day and thinks they're getting value).

I log in to CitiCards.com first, then paste https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do (same or different tab/window, doesn't matter), and I get the VAN pop-up immediately with no problem (of course, still have to log in again on the pop-up).

You still have to log in twice, but it saves a lot of clicks and prompts if you try to follow the VAN links after logging in to CitiCards.com (look under "Benefits & Services").

TheDiggler said:   Space said:   No pop-up blockers. I even just did a "Help->Restart with Add-ons disabled" and it still did not work after that.
I log in to CitiCards.com, see all my account info, then cut in paste in that URL above and I get the screen asking me for my login info again.
Then try skipping the initial step of logging into CitiCards.com. Instead, paste the URL above, login using that URL, then once logged in, paste the URL again. Does it pop open the VAN app? (You will need to login to the VAN app as well, which was always the behavior of that app).

Recap:

1. Open Browser
2. Paste this URL into browser: https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do
3. If prompted to login, do so
4. Re-paste same URL back into browser: https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do
5. You should no longer get prompted to log back in (on the web page itself)
6. VAN app should pop open (where you SHOULD get prompted to login)

rated:
I don't have any cookies blocked and it does not work for me.

I just tried it in Firefox once more and then I tried IE8, I log in to CitiCards.com, the cut&paste in that URL, it prompts for login/password again.

rated:
I received the following reply from the customer servers (you be the judge)


From: me***********************om
Subject: Re: virtual accounts app
Date: January 10, 2013 7:10 EST

Dear Valued Client,

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We regret any confusion or inconvenience.

Please be informed that a business decision was made to remove the downloadable version of Virtual Account Numbers from Account Online.

We regret any inconvenience and frustration you have encountered with the web-based version of the Virtual Account Number software. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your suggestions and feedback. This information will help us to improve our service. Your suggestions will be considered in our efforts to provide the best possible service to our clients.

We are aware of the number of steps it takes to access the software however; this is the only option at this time.

We would also like to let you know about our free AutoPay program, which will automatically deduct payments from your designated checking or savings account each month. Your bill will be paid on time, every time. There are no checks to write, and no due dates to remember. To enroll online, please select Enroll in AutoPay from the Payments menu.

At Citi, we constantly strive to be your bank of choice. Please know that we're working every day to improve our service, and that we won't be satisfied until you are.

Thank you for using our website.

rated:
uncleziba said:   I received the following reply from the customer servers (you be the judge)


From: me***********************om
Subject: Re: virtual accounts app
Date: January 10, 2013 7:10 EST

Dear Valued Client,

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We regret any confusion or inconvenience.

Please be informed that a business decision was made to remove the downloadable version of Virtual Account Numbers from Account Online.

We regret any inconvenience and frustration you have encountered with the web-based version of the Virtual Account Number software. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your suggestions and feedback. This information will help us to improve our service. Your suggestions will be considered in our efforts to provide the best possible service to our clients.

We are aware of the number of steps it takes to access the software however; this is the only option at this time.

We would also like to let you know about our free AutoPay program, which will automatically deduct payments from your designated checking or savings account each month. Your bill will be paid on time, every time. There are no checks to write, and no due dates to remember. To enroll online, please select Enroll in AutoPay from the Payments menu.

At Citi, we constantly strive to be your bank of choice. Please know that we're working every day to improve our service, and that we won't be satisfied until you are.

Thank you for using our website.
Good 'ol CiTi. "We are aware...bla,bla,bla", don't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

rated:
uncleziba said:   I received the following reply from the customer servers (you be the judge)


From: me***********************om
Subject: Re: virtual accounts app
Date: January 10, 2013 7:10 EST

Dear Valued Client,

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We regret any confusion or inconvenience.

Please be informed that a business decision was made to remove the downloadable version of Virtual Account Numbers from Account Online.

We regret any inconvenience and frustration you have encountered with the web-based version of the Virtual Account Number software. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your suggestions and feedback. This information will help us to improve our service. Your suggestions will be considered in our efforts to provide the best possible service to our clients.

We are aware of the number of steps it takes to access the software however; this is the only option at this time.

We would also like to let you know about our free AutoPay program, which will automatically deduct payments from your designated checking or savings account each month. Your bill will be paid on time, every time. There are no checks to write, and no due dates to remember. To enroll online, please select Enroll in AutoPay from the Payments menu.

At Citi, we constantly strive to be your bank of choice. Please know that we're working every day to improve our service, and that we won't be satisfied until you are.

Thank you for using our website.


Seems pretty honest and straightforward. The translation:

1. VAN usage was minimal, no reason to spend the money to maintain the downloadable option.
2. They get that the current implementation is a nuisance, but usage is minimal, so fixing it is low on the list of priorities.

rated:
This is Citi typical BS showing the incompetence of the current leadership team and the decision making to only benefit their compensation. For them to promote AutoPay for a VAN inquiry shows they don't care about their customers and will do nothing for customer relationship. The mentality nowadays for too big to fail companies is to milk the system for their gain until they are fired or they cash out, screw the customers.

rated:
2devnull said:   This is Citi typical BS showing the incompetence of the current leadership team and the decision making to only benefit their compensation. For them to promote AutoPay for a VAN inquiry shows they don't care about their customers and will do nothing for customer relationship. The mentality nowadays for too big to fail companies is to milk the system for their gain until they are fired or they cash out, screw the customers.

Why do you think that "caring about your customers" is incompatible with "not spending money to support services that few of them use"?

If they were spending $50k/year (1/3 of a person) supporting the standalone app, and customers with an annual value of $25k will leave because they no longer support it, then it's not worth keeping it.

rated:
The problem with this argument (besides the fact that those example numbers are very conservative and inversely described as well as the fact that they didn't get rid of VAN, therefore they still support it) is that Citi has not marketed and promoted this solution throughout the years to the consumer market. If you ask 10 people, you'll be lucky if 2 knows what Citi VAN is and luckier if 1 knows how to use it efficiently and use it for the intended purpose of reducing fraud. There is also the fact that they spend millions on mass mailing/marketing budgets to solicit new customers just to loose some of them to shoddy decisions like this cripple VAN implementation in its current incarnation.

There is a big difference where greedy companies are short-sighted in focusing on what you are describing (ROIs etc) and customer loyalty and retention. VAN is a cost service to make their products and services portfolio more attractive than their competition and if they were to promote it effectively to the consumer market (instead of just the B2B API market), the ROI based on customer net value if indeed currently on the negative side would easily be positive.

Again, the issue falls on the leadership team who just don't know how to take something worthwhile and make it provide the value needed for your company.


cestmoi123 said:   
Why do you think that "caring about your customers" is incompatible with "not spending money to support services that few of them use"?

If they were spending $50k/year (1/3 of a person) supporting the standalone app, and customers with an annual value of $25k will leave because they no longer support it, then it's not worth keeping it.

rated:
I completely agree. It is almost unusable. And the vcc is only good for a max of 1 year which makes it more troublesome for ongoing payments. It seems obvious that they are trying to discourage the use of vcc. I am going to switch to discover.

rated:
I completely agree. It is almost unusable. And the vcc is only good for a max of 1 year which makes it more troublesome for ongoing payments. It seems obvious that they are trying to discourage the use of vcc. I am going to switch to discover.

rated:
You can increase the expiration date for a specific VAN up to 12 months from the current date, you can also increase the maximum dollar amount that is allowed to be charged on that VAN. So for VANs with recurring payments, I just go in once a year (in December) and extend it for another 12 months and increase the limit for the max expenditure for the year. Note that you can also have a VAN with no time/amount limits, so in that case you would not have to update anything.

I think Citi VANs work quite well, I really like them. That is why I am so upset by the change in the way you need to access them.

rated:
Citi has really gone to pot. They want to send an ID code to a phone to be able to use virtual account numbers. None of the above seem to work for me.
After "Launch" I always get the "identity code delivery options" page.

rated:
Yes. I just tried to use a VAN last night and it again asked to call me on my home phone (it had not been doing that the last few times). Since it was after midnight and I didn't want my main phone ringing and waking the house, I went in to the account and changed the phone number. Guess what? It let me change it with no verification (other than the fact I was logged in to my account)! So much for increased security!

Anyway, when I then went to the VAN app again, it did not ask to call me anymore (I think because the changed phone number was not in effect yet), now it asked some security questions to which I (luckily) remembered the answer (although you had to give it the correct upper/lower case or it did not like it).

I wonder why it just didn't ask me those questions in the first place?

rated:
I've never been asked any security questions or had to verify a phone # to use VAN (through the website or otherwise). I wonder if these questions are asked those that use VAN on occasion or rarely. I visit my account online at least a few times a week to sync charges, and have use VAN for every phone/online purchase. In a given week, log in to van at least 3-4x.

rated:
I use it at least once a month. I am wondering if it is because of some cookies that I am not retaining, maybe there are some domains that are used that are not in my whitelist.

rated:
Space said:   I use it at least once a month. I am wondering if it is because of some cookies that I am not retaining, maybe there are some domains that are used that are not in my whitelist.This is likely the reason you're being prompted for excessive verification. Once cookies are set, Citi should recogonize your browser. That you're blocking cookies other than those you whitelist is likely also why the simplified VAN ACCESS instructions aren't working for you.

Try running a temporary browser in which you ACCEPT ALL COOKIES. If it's a new browser to Citi (where none of their cookies have been set), you may need to verify yourself first via the phone call method or security questions. Thereafter though, that browser should be setup, at which point you can give the shortened VAN ACCESS method another shot.

rated:
I did try with IE8 earlier, which accepts all cookies, and it didn't work, but I will see what I can do with Firefox...

Thanks

rated:
I don't have any cookies remembered for citicards -- it's not necessary unless you want it to remember your User ID.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014