• Text Only
spydermonkey said:   Thanks for the review David. Ive heard that BofA also has some type of virtual number system. Anyone know how it compares to Citi? (Dollar amounts, time limits, etc)Incredible... a Senior 2K member who hasn't taken the time to read through the thread. BOA's program has been well discussed in here. Read the thread.

TheDiggler said:   spydermonkey said:   Thanks for the review David. Ive heard that BofA also has some type of virtual number system. Anyone know how it compares to Citi? (Dollar amounts, time limits, etc)Incredible... a Senior 2K member who hasn't taken the time to read through the thread. BOA's program has been well discussed in here. Read the thread.



http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1246425/m17546443/#m1754...

This morning I tried to generate a virtual number from my Citi credit card account, but the link was no longer there. I finally found it after a query. You now have to log into

www.virtualaccountnumbers.citicards.com

to access the online virtual account numbers. From there the same tedious process is initiated.

Saki33 said:   This morning I tried to generate a virtual number from my Citi credit card account, but the link was no longer there. I finally found it after a query. You now have to log into

www.virtualaccountnumbers.citicards.com

to access the online virtual account numbers. From there the same tedious process is initiated.


Everything still works for me as before. The two links do it:

https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do
login,then open https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do (in a new tab)

uncleziba said:   Saki33 said:   This morning I tried to generate a virtual number from my Citi credit card account, but the link was no longer there. I finally found it after a query. You now have to log into

www.virtualaccountnumbers.citicards.com

to access the online virtual account numbers. From there the same tedious process is initiated.


Everything still works for me as before. The two links do it:

https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do
login,then open https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do (in a new tab)


I just checked it again, and indeed the link to "Get a Virtual Account Number" is under Benefits and Services/Account Servicing Tools. I had looked under Benefits and Services, just as I always do, and it was not there earlier this morning. However, now that I have the direct link to the Virtual Account Numbers web site it saves me two clicks toward launching the app.

I take it you can do this in IE and on Windows? I just can't go from first link to the last like you can on Linux using Chrome. I am curious how you are doing it so I can try to emulate it on my platform. Help is appreciated.

2devnull said:   I take it you can do this in IE and on Windows? I just can't go from first link to the last like you can on Linux using Chrome. I am curious how you are doing it so I can try to emulate it on my platform. Help is appreciated.

are you talking to me?

I can't do this in IE. Instead of the applet the second link opens "Receive Confirmation" page and just sits there. I didn't know anybody still uses IE

I'm using Chrome on Windows and put the two links on the bookmark bar. Click first link, login, leave that tab open. Then right-click on the second link "Open in a new Tab" and it just works... I guess this is one of those YMMV

uncleziba said:   2devnull said:   I take it you can do this in IE and on Windows? I just can't go from first link to the last like you can on Linux using Chrome. I am curious how you are doing it so I can try to emulate it on my platform. Help is appreciated.

are you talking to me?

I can't do this in IE. Instead of the applet the second link opens "Receive Confirmation" page and just sits there. I didn't know anybody still uses IE

I'm using Chrome on Windows and put the two links on the bookmark bar. Click first link, login, leave that tab open. Then right-click on the second link "Open in a new Tab" and it just works... I guess this is one of those YMMV


yes, sorry forgot to use the quote button. I tried this on Chrome on Linux and still have the same issue with the login form coming up in the new tab. I think it may probably be a setting in Chrome to share the session cookie across tabs or something similar.

Saki33 said:   uncleziba said:   Saki33 said:   This morning I tried to generate a virtual number from my Citi credit card account, but the link was no longer there. I finally found it after a query. You now have to log into

www.virtualaccountnumbers.citicards.com

to access the online virtual account numbers. From there the same tedious process is initiated.


Everything still works for me as before. The two links do it:

https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do
login,then open https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/VanWebConfirm.do (in a new tab)


I just checked it again, and indeed the link to "Get a Virtual Account Number" is under Benefits and Services/Account Servicing Tools. I had looked under Benefits and Services, just as I always do, and it was not there earlier this morning. However, now that I have the direct link to the Virtual Account Numbers web site it saves me two clicks toward launching the app.


None of these are working for me now. I get an error with the first after login and can't login to the second. The third doesn't work after logging into to either of the first 2. Wop wop

fostytou said:   

None of these are working for me now. I get an error with the first after login and can't login to the second. The third doesn't work after logging into to either of the first 2. Wop wop


Ditto for me also. Very odd that it works for some and not others.

Finally, I gave up with Citi. I just apply Bank of America MasterCard and they have a service, ShopSafe, which allows me to hit a card generator URL from bookmark and login to get my number easily as Citi Web VirtualNumber before.

Just checked.. My shortcuts still working. Requires double login, but is doable.

I use FF v 13.01.

Gpz1100 said:   Just checked.. My shortcuts still working. Requires double login, but is doable.

I use FF v 13.01.


Ah, maybe its a Chrome thing, I'm using the latest version. I know Chrome is more security conscious, so maybe that's the case.

The link given by a user earlier in the thread, i.e.:
https://www.accountonline.com/VAN/webcard/CitiUS3.swf?langcode=en&base=https://www.accountonline.com/VAN/webcard/&GeneralError=General+Error&loginAssetLib=loginlib.swf&loadProfiles=true&cfg=config.prod.txt&Issuer=1&brand=Citi
does work for me in ie9, with accountonline in the trusted zone and making sure all reasonable security setting are set to prompt and nothing to disable (unless really stupid)
And when I mean it works, I mean so far it has not require me to do the send code crap, will see if it persists properly....

Been scratching my head on this for a few days, thank you for doing the leg work, citibank is really a bunch of incompetent idiots....

thanks.. it works with IE.. or Chrome with "IE multi tag" plugin.

I am using bank of america's ShopSafe feature, so far so good as old Citi VirtualNumber with better % Cash Back for other stuffs I may switch back to Citi if I am not happy with Bank of America one day. However, thanks for your information.

Well, I see that there was a lot of activity in this thread since I last looked at it in early February (for some reason I stopped getting notifications of new replies for this thread). I saw that some people got an email in mid-February about the stand-alone VAN app coming back in the second quarter (I got no such email then), but I now just got the below email. When I first saw the subject, I completely thought the mail was going to be about the total elimination of VANs, thankfully that was not the case (I guess I'm a pessimist ).

The email is similar to the one sent in February, but at least we know they haven't forgotten .

Changes to Virtual Account Numbers
	
Dear XXXX XXXX,

Why we’re writing you
One of our servicing priorities at Citi® is to make you aware of changes impacting your account. We are pleased to inform you that the downloadable version of our Virtual Account Numbers software will soon be available again for your use. We apologize for any inconvenience the temporary suspension of this service may have caused you.

We will notify you once it is available for your use and include instructions on how to re-download the updated version. The updated version will include enhanced security for your protection.

How to contact us
We appreciate your business and each opportunity to serve you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-347-4934, or contact us online at www.citicards.com.

Sincerely,

Matt Jenkins, Head of Service Delivery 

I was going to post the same thing when I received the email a couple days ago (forgot). I wonder if the URL shortcuts will work again. Anyone find out why they stopped working? I emailed Citi multiple times about this and they kept replying back thinking I was talking about the downloadable app. I kept stating I was referring to the URL shortcut and "flash" website. They seemed clueless...

I started using Discover virtual Account. Its not as complicated to use. I did get an e-mail from CITI saying they were going to re-establish the downloadable version and would let me know when it's ready.

I got an email that the Citi VAN downloadable app will be available on 21 April 2013.

Thanks for the info!

I wonder why I am not getting some of these emails?

I received two paper copies via regular mail for each of my accounts, but no email.

New downloadable app now available.

Also, link to web based version works too.

I was able to get mine by first going through all the click BS, then just saved the actual link that opened up the web based app as a favorite. Using firefox


https://www.accountonline.com/VAN/webcard/webcard.jsp?loginlib=l... TOKEN KEY]

Gpz1100 said:   New downloadable app now available.

Also, link to web based version works too.

I was able to get mine by first going through all the click BS, then just saved the actual link that opened up the web based app as a favorite. Using firefox


https://www.accountonline.com/VAN/webcard/webcard.jsp?loginlib=l... TOKEN KEY]


sound effects off option doesn't seem to work, otherwise looks just like the old app. Gee I wonder what took them so long...

Just noticed the new downloadable desktop version from Citi when I went to the web site for the web based version. I installed it and it looks and works just like the discontinued version. It retrieved all of my old virtual numbers. I was unhappy that the B-of-A desktop version, ShopSafe, allowed overcharges to the limit I placed on the virtual number. I never had that happen with Citi. One time when using a Citi virtual number I purchased additional minutes from AT&T, but the tax had increased by $0.25 that I had not allowed for. The card was refused. That is how I expect the limit feature to work. I know that when using a Citi virtual number with dollar limit no one can hit me with undisclosed charges.

https://www.accountonline.com/VAN/webcard/webcard.jsp?brand=Citi

dupe, sorry

(sigh) You still need a code for every transaction,even need a code to download the program. I don't see using it. I used to love this little program but I think the people at Citi have gone into the twilight zone on us. They are really not in touch with their customer's needs.

makora said:   (sigh) You still need a code for every transaction,even need a code to download the program. I don't see using it. I used to love this little program but I think the people at Citi have gone into the twilight zone on us. They are really not in touch with their customer's needs.

I don't understand what you mean by codes. I downloaded the Citi desktop, installed it, and used it. It downloaded, installed, looks, and works just like the old one--simply, easily, quickly. It stays on top, and you can drag and drop the number without spaces. I can't imagine anything easier, and much more convenient than using the web-based app.

makora said:   (sigh) You still need a code for every transaction,even need a code to download the program. I don't see using it. I used to love this little program but I think the people at Citi have gone into the twilight zone on us. They are really not in touch with their customer's needs.

Code???

Yes, an identification code to download the program. It gave me a choice of calling my house and so on. I can't download the program or use the website van without an identification code. I don't know how anyone got one without a code.

I'd call up customer service and ask to talk to their web support dept.

I wasn't asked for any code to download the program or access the web app. There has to be something on your account that's causing it.

Yes, I tried it again with a different web browser. I tried it with 4 different web browser and it still ask for an identification code to download the program. No dice it won't let me have the desktop unless I let them call me as shown on the drop down list of choices. It tells me the code is only good for 10 minutes and only for this transaction. So much for being happy that they brought back the Citi desktop. Is the same old thing for me here, with the code.

I talk to someone at Citi yesterday and they didn't know anything about anything about virtual numbers and such. But they did tried to sell me something. : )

^^You didn't speak to the right people then

Take a screen shot of this code request. It should only be asking for a login and password which is the same as what you use to access your account.

I just got off the phone with Citi web dep. The guy guided me to the spot and I was told I need a code. Simple. I should be so honor for such a treat but I don't feel honor. : ) You guys are so lucky that you were not chosen by the Citibank Gods for such an honor. : ) I give up!


The guy told me everyone needs a code.

makora said:   Yes, an identification code to download the program. It gave me a choice of calling my house and so on. I can't download the program or use the website van without an identification code. I don't know how anyone got one without a code.

Did you choose to call your house or cell? Did you get the call?

I let them call me and got a code number to input so I was allowed to download the program. I started the program and it work. Of course I was told the code is only good for this transaction. I will see later. I will test it later to see if it will let me in after the 10 minutes after this particular code number expires.
I chose my house land line. It was not a live person just a program giving out the code.

What a waste, tried to use the new web app, as soon as a log in it says error code 1045 contact customer service, same thing with the downloaded app, after call customer service multiple times they each time said the problem will be corrected in the next 1-2 hours, and still the same thing. Just using BofA Shopsafe now I guess.

I was prompted for verification code to do the download. I let the robot call my landline and provide the code. The verification and download and install and a quick test of the downloaded program all worked. Then to download the software to a second computer, I was not prompted for a code (even though the second computer had never had the CitiCards app on it). I figure their security system is sending the download only to machines that they "trust" for some reason. I do not expect to have to provide a verification code again, unless something changes on my end (e.g. I change out a hard drive or do something else that makes me look different.)

As for what changed in the program: They would not let me download the program with Chrome ("unsupported browser") but they did let me download it with Firefox, so maybe that means that they now support Firefox form-filling. I do not recall their supporting this before, although I could be wrong about that because I rarely use Firefox, but mostly use Chrome. So with no significant functional changes, and no upgrade to support current browsers like Chrome, I am guessing that the main reason for their making this change in such a disruptive and secretive way was to fix a serious security bug that was costing them money and/or threatening to disclose customer information to malefactors.

I'm expecting the downloadable form of the Discover Card SOAN program to become available again. I expect this because it disappeared around the same time as the Citi downloadable VAN disappeared. That, and the fact that Discover also began requiring double login for its Web based version, makes me think that both banks may be branding a service that is provided by some third party vendor to both of them. Either that, or else both banks somehow coincidentally were found to be subject to the same security defects in both their downloadable and their Web versions.

It's been a long time since I used the Discover downloadable VAN, but the reason I stopped using it was that Citi's let you put an absolute limit on the amount and limited the number to just one month; Discover didn't do that. ShopSafe lets you set a limit, but then allows it to go over that limit.

It does seem strange that some users are having to get a code to download the desktop app, unless their accounts had been flagged for some reason. I would have expected Citi would want to make it easier for people to get it, considering the liability benefit to them.

Today I received a notice in the mail that Citi's desktop VAN was available again. I had already discovered it for myself 12 days ago, but at least they are notifying people.

Saki33 said:   ~snip~Today I received a notice in the mail that Citi's desktop VAN was available again. I had already discovered it for myself 12 days ago, but at least they are notifying people.I too received snail mail notice today but knew of it many weeks ago from this thread.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014