• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
When I tried to access my VANs from a new computer, Citi wanted to send an identification code via text or call an old phone number I used to have. I updated the phone number in my profile but it still wanted to text/call the old phone number. I tried a different computer at home and got the same results. This leads me to believe Citi is blocking me via IP address. Also, I can access Citi VANs from work. Before I got the new computer, I've never had any problems accessing my virtual numbers. When I called Citi about this, they said it takes 14 days for an updated phone number to take effect in their system. I think it's a load of crap and I'm blocked from accessing my virtual numbers at home.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   When I tried to access my VANs from a new computer, Citi wanted to send an identification code
via text or call an old phone number I used to have. I updated the phone number in my profile but it still wanted to text/call
the old phone number. I tried a different computer at home and got the same results.
They didn't require it when I tried
VAN on Wednesday but did ask for an ID code when I tried it yesterday. I use e-mail instead of text or voice phone for the
ID code.

rated:
These measures sound like Citi is concerned that some unauthorized person might be using the account, in case you've been hacked. I've used the new desktop app five times in less than a month, and haven't had to get an ID code. From what we have seen so far, they seem to have set up guidelines for when to require a code. That leads me to believe they might have had security problems on the previous platform, and have stricter guidelines now for its use. Without more information from posters it's impossible to guess why some customers have been required to get a code and others haven't. Maybe it's the amount of the purchase. Tell us how much you charged when you didn't need the code and how much when you did need it. In my own case I changed my phone number of record in January. I visited all my online financial sites, including Citi, and brought my personal info up to date. My phone number isn't a landline or cell phone. It's my Google Voice number. I do not want to be getting calls from them to my cell phone asking me to upgrade to the protection they sell. If you've recently updated your number of record it might help to call them from that number, nothing complicated, just a quick check on your balance might do it.

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   qcumber98 said:   When I tried to access my VANs from a new computer, Citi wanted to send an identification code
via text or call an old phone number I used to have. I updated the phone number in my profile but it still wanted to text/call
the old phone number. I tried a different computer at home and got the same results.
They didn't require it when I tried
VAN on Wednesday but did ask for an ID code when I tried it yesterday. I use e-mail instead of text or voice phone for the
ID code.
I can't choose email because it's not one of the options. Instead, my third option is "I can't receive a call or text at this time" which tells me to try again later. It's really bizarre.

rated:
I received a letter from Citi today informing me that the downloadable version is available.
The letter has my credit card number ( all digits ) in boldface and highlighted on top !.

The reason I use virtual card number is to protect the number, yet Citi tries to give away my number. Luckily my mail didn't get lost, which also happens quite a lot lately, and I noticed it before I toss the letter in the recycle bin.

rated:
susushea said:   I received a letter from Citi today informing me that the downloadable version is available.
The letter has my credit card number ( all digits ) in boldface and highlighted on top !.

The reason I use virtual card number is to protect the number, yet Citi tries to give away my number. Luckily my mail didn't get lost, which also happens quite a lot lately, and I noticed it before I toss the letter in the recycle bin.

LMAO, WTF?!

rated:
I'm running the web based version on firefox. Fonts appear very small.

Being a flash app, the normal font enlargement (ctrl- + or control - - (minus)) doesn't work. Any suggestions on increase the font size?

rated:
The "new" web based VAN worked fine for a few weeks. I was one who complained vociferously to them about doing away with the Web based method.

For the last week or 2 I can no longer use the Web version without having a VAN number called to me or texted...

WHAT AN ANNOYANCE.

It's about as much of an annoyance as the need to log in twice, etc.

It used to be so convenient and I'd use it all the time. My last web purchase I went ahead and used another CC.

Anybody have an information about what's going on?

I wonder if they're concerned about the number that's created being compromised somehow....

rated:
I'm able to get past the security code verification part - but after I tell it I want to generate a new VCC (with or without time & amounts), it fails to connect to the server. Been happening for the past 2 weeks for both the desktop and web version. Tried it on several computers and different IPs. No luck

rated:
mav14 said:   I'm able to get past the security code verification part - but after I tell it I want to generate a new VCC (with or without time & amounts), it fails to connect to the server. Been happening for the past 2 weeks for both the desktop and web version. Tried it on several computers and different IPs. No luck

Same here. WTF?! It's becoming very annoying to use.

rated:
The web based app works better for me versus the old one. I was never able to log out, that button wouldn't do anything. I've had zero issues logging in since creating a URL shortcut to the VAN page.

rated:
hapollo8 said:   mav14 said:   I'm able to get past the security code verification part - but after I tell it I want to generate a new VCC (with or without time & amounts), it fails to connect to the server. Been happening for the past 2 weeks for both the desktop and web version. Tried it on several computers and different IPs. No luck

Same here. WTF?! It's becoming very annoying to use.

Its actually gotten worse now - I can't even get past the login screen.

rated:
I believe we should all call Citi and politely convey the message that we are moving to a different card until this VAN issue is fixed. I am getting server not available even after getting a verification code.

rated:
bluesky99 said:   I believe we should all call Citi and politely convey the message that we are moving to a different card until this VAN issue is fixed. I am getting server not available even after getting a verification code.

I'm not calling them. Mine has worked perfectly almost every time I have tried to use it. Only once did it fail to connect right away when I wanted it to, and I have used it a lot. That one time I was able to connect a few minutes later. Failing to connect happened to me more often with the old desktop app. But even with the old one that was a rare occurrence. I am very happy it is back and very satisfied with it. I never needed a verification code. For me it is working better than before.

rated:
Saki33 said:   bluesky99 said:   I believe we should all call Citi and politely convey the message that we are moving to a different card until this VAN issue is fixed. I am getting server not available even after getting a verification code.

I'm not calling them. Mine has worked perfectly almost every time I have tried to use it. Only once did it fail to connect right away when I wanted it to, and I have used it a lot. That one time I was able to connect a few minutes later. Failing to connect happened to me more often with the old desktop app. But even with the old one that was a rare occurrence. I am very happy it is back and very satisfied with it. I never needed a verification code. For me it is working better than before.
Same experience here though the 3rd time I used it I had to use a code. After that it has worked flawlessly.

rated:
Saki33 said:   bluesky99 said:   I believe we should all call Citi and politely convey the message that we are moving to a different card until this VAN issue is fixed. I am getting server not available even after getting a verification code.

This has been my experience also. It works better than before, I am able to logout of the web app, and the URL shortcut works all the time. Ive never needed a verification code. I suspect that something isn't right with those users browsers or accounts. Maybe call Citi and find out what might be causing that. Do you have cookies enabled? Do you have an adblocker running? Does this happen all all browsers?

rated:
After a quick check, I found that I have, since April 22, used the new desktop app 35 times without a problem, and without ever needing a verification code. There was just one incident during that time, a failure to connect that was successful a few minutes later.

I have not yet needed to use the browser-based version. The desktop app is far more convenient. My experience with the old browser app was that there was no problem with Adblocker+, but I did have to make an exception with the pop-up blocker.

rated:
Wait, for those that keep having issues, are you using the web app or the desktop app?

rated:
I wonder if certain IP addresses raise a red flag for citi and require this activation code nonsense. I'm on a residential cable connection and have only seen the code request once in the last few months. Haven't seen it sense, and this was the first time in probably a decade of using the VAN system.

rated:
I believe that the verification code is somehow tied to IP address, but I'm not sure how. On my work laptop, I can always connect without a verification code from the office, but I always need one from home.

I called Citi to see if I could get someone to explain this to me in the hopes that I could eliminated the verification code process at home, but no one I spoke to had the faintest idea what triggers the verification code process.

rated:
The web based VAN worked fine for a few weeks but it has not worked for last 3 months. Calling Citi was no help at all. The guy said some people have the issue while others do not have the same issue. He implied it was my system or my PC that is malfunctioning. It is hard to believe because I have switched to Discover and easily get their VAN. the only problem is I am unable to set a $ and time limit. It is still tied to the vendor so there is some safeguard.

Sometime I am lucky enough to get a request for verification code from the server and even if I get passed the security code verification part I do not get a VAN- after I tell it I want to generate a new VCC (with or without time & amounts), it fails to connect to the server. Been happening for both the desktop and web version. Tried it on several computers and different IPs. No luck

rated:
bluesky99 said:   Tried it on several computers and different IPs. No luck

Same network?   Maybe something is blocking verification?

rated:
I just used web-based version from my work computer, using IE9, worked just fine.  Note per splash screen that it doesn't seem to like/support browser other than IE or Safari.

rated:
Citibank will block your use of VAN (virtual account numbers) for 14 days if you change any of your contact information even if it is for the specific purpose of receiving their verification code phone call.

rated:
IW said:   The "new" web based VAN worked fine for a few weeks. I was one who complained vociferously to them about doing away with the Web based method.

For the last week or 2 I can no longer use the Web version without having a VAN number called to me or texted...

WHAT AN ANNOYANCE.

It's about as much of an annoyance as the need to log in twice, etc.

Oh, no, it's much more annoying than that.

I've been using ChittyBank VCCs for many years. While there have been occasional problems, until lately they have been minor (their automated "fraud detection" system cries wolf a lot, but has yet to catch any genuine fraud involving my account). Aside from the peace of mind, using VCCs has even saved me from at least one erroneous charge (that I know of - there may be more). But when they decided to get rid of the PC-based applet and force everyone to use the web version, what was once a great service started an apparent death spiral from which I fear it will never recover.

Just a few minutes ago I tried using the PC-based app to generate a VCC. For the first time ever in maybe a decade of using VCCs I was prompted to select a delivery method for an identification code. I was not given an email option, but my phone number was in the list, so I selected it and clicked OK, only to be presented with an error dialog ("we've encountered a problem processing your request.") with error code 1037. So I logged in again and repeated the steps, same error. I tried it a third time and it worked - my phone rang and an automated computer voice gave me an 8-digit code. I went back and entered the code, only to receive the same error code 1037 dialog. I repeated the process 3 or 4 more times, but never got any farther. Eventually I gave up and used a Discover VCC.

My guess is the people who design and implement the back ends for these applications and the ChittyBank web site aren't very good at their jobs - and of course nobody is around to fix bugs on the weekend.

This is quite sad, as up until recently ChittyBank's VCC approach was better than Discover's; Discover's "Secure Account Numbers" don't let you pick a dollar amount cap or an expiration date - the virtual cards you generate all expire on the same date as your real Discover card does. Plus Discover got rid of their PC-based app, so you're stuck with the web-based app and logging in twice, but at least it works. Like others have said, the only reason I keep this card is for the virtual credit card feature; if they make it difficult (or impossible) to use, this card is gonig into the shredder.

rated:
No issues here...

"Chitty"? smh

rated:
spydermonkey said:   No issues here...

"Chitty"? smh

Same here.

rated:
tuphat said:   I just used web-based version from my work computer, using IE9, worked just fine.  Note per splash screen that it doesn't seem to like/support browser other than IE or Safari.
  It also worked for me with Firefox, but no go with Chrome.  The same for Discover.

rated:
Is there any other credit card that offers all of the features of the ChittyBank Virtual Account Number ( VAN ) / Virtual Credit Card ( VCC )???
I will happily switch if there is.
The frequency of the Chitty website being down or the virtual service being down is getting impossible to tolerate.

rated:
Agreed. I tried getting a VAN from work today, but the only option for delivering the needed security code was to my home phone number – even though I've had a work number listed in my profile for years. I added a cell number to my profile, but that wasn't an option for my security code. I called Customer Service, who after a long phone tree tried to put me through to Technical Support. To the CS rep's credit, she stuck with me for ages, only to come back and say Technical Support seemed to be down... I called back tonight from home; rep said that they never use work numbers; and that the new cell number might take 2 weeks to become a security number option. Arghh...

Now that I'm home, I finally got my security number, but every time I try to generate a VAN, I get the "Sorry, we are unable to connect to the server" message. I've tried a few times this year, but the last time I was able to successfully generate a VAN was February. Citi VAN's aren't just unusable, they're an incredible source of frustration. I spent over $50K on my Citi card last year, and have been with them forever, but am ready to switch.

rated:
What they tell you is 14 days. But it is really 16 to 19 days, because even if you inform them of your new number on day 1, they may not "register it" for up to four days (two business days and possibly two weekend days).
So to satisfy "their rules," you may be out of service for nearly 3 weeks.
Perish the thought that they call or write to you on the next business day to verify your change and put you back in service quickly.
And they sometimes block your ip address from accessing your account altogether and not many people understand how to "release" and "renew" an IP address from their provider.
Heaven help you if you are a big spender with a fixed IP address. You might be permanently locked out.
Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

rated:
Well, looks like they "upgraded" the stand-alone VAN app (and I think the old one no longer works because it told me to get the new one).

I don't understand why, but they made it twice as big so it covers up much of the screen, including the web browser when you're trying to juggle them around to use them both (drag and drop), and when you get to the screen where it displays the card number and expiration date, etc. they made it so you need a magnifying glass to see them. I have no idea what they were thinking when they made these changes... Anyway, at least it still works, so I won't complain too much...

rated:

rated:

rated:
Received this email today:

"Dear    ,

Why we’re writing to you

One of our servicing priorities at Citi® is to make you aware of changes impacting your account. We’re pleased to inform you that Virtual Account Numbers has been upgraded to make it easier and more convenient to use. When you use the web-based version of Virtual Account Numbers, you will no longer need to:

• Accept terms and conditions each time
  • Check System Requirements each time
  • Log in to use your Virtual Account Number when you are already logged in to your account

We’ve made these changes based on your feedback. So keep letting us know what you think we can do better, and we’ll keep trying to improve your website experience."

The provided link, www.virtualaccountnumbers.citicards.com, takes you to a VAN login page, but you still have to choose between launching the web based version or downloading the desktop tool. When I launched the web version, my account verification failed so I had to log in twice anyway. I logged out and tried the email link again but got an error on the pop-up their was a server error, please try again later. The third attempt worked fine. Even without the login errors, this email link has too many steps. I'm sticking with the shortcut link posted by Gpz1100.

rated:
^^Thanks!

We go through this nonsense everytime citi gets the bright idea to fix what's not broken!@#   Too bad they can't just leave well enough alone.  As always, one of us here finds a quicker way in without the multiple clicks.

Until next time

rated:
The site is so broken now the launch button does not work. The link posted previously give a log on page that does not recognize the credentials.
LINK1 
LINK2

This is when you have un-qualified developers who know shite about security development. 

rated:
FWIW, I got it to work by clearing cache, going in and out several times, and finally I can get it to log me in at the new screen posted previously. I really hate that UI. They seem to add a new feature of generating a number from your Thank You rewards.

rated:
It's glitchy but still functions and can generate numbers.

rated:
Well...the web shortcut is dead. Citibank has gone nuts. This is idiotic making van not working so close to the holidays. Every browser that I have tried gives me problem in my Citibank account. I keep calling for new codes and the codes are worthless. I tried sending a message and that doesn't even work. It is just insane. If you call Citi no one knows what is going on. So much for holiday shopping with my card. Does anyone on the board have any info. Is your citi web account working?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014