• Text Only
makora said:   Does anyone on the board have any info. Is your citi web account working?

††
Just tried in a Firefox 25.0.1 session running for the past 2 days without exiting and 18 tabs currently open... and it worked perfectly. I was able to log on the first try in a new tab via the link posted by Gpz1100, and generated a VAN with a time and dollar limit with no issues. Maybe you need to clear your cookies, exit and relaunch, or reboot entirely. Having said that, I often have the same problem you are experiencing now... both the web and desktop system is just plain unstable.

makora said:   Well...the web shortcut is dead. Citibank has gone nuts. This is idiotic making van not working so close to the holidays. Every browser that I have tried gives me problem in my Citibank account. I keep calling for new codes and the codes are worthless. I tried sending a message and that doesn't even work. It is just insane. If you call Citi no one knows what is going on. So much for holiday shopping with my card. Does anyone on the board have any info. Is your citi web account working?
††
The old or new web shortcut? †The one posted by Gpz1100 works for me


Just tested using the link I provided earlier.† Firefox v25.† Generated a number successfully.

Might need to empty the flash cache too.† Don't recall offhand how to do that -- google to the rescue.

I'm not sure I like the new layout, so I actually just launch the desktop app when I need a #.

Only time I've ever had issues with the web interface was at work. Since the site didn't recognize my location, I had to get a code sent to my phone. I use Chrome on all my computers.

I have tried with it IE, Firefox 25.01, Palemoon and Opera. I clean everything. Ran CCleaner and nothing! Dunno. I shouldn't have so many problems just to get into Van, send them messages and so on. Really appreciate the input. If this is not fix by next week I guess I will have to go the Discover Card way. Thanks.

makora said:   I have tried with it IE, Firefox 25.01, Palemoon and Opera. I clean everything. Ran CCleaner and nothing! Dunno. I shouldn't have so many problems just to get into Van, send them messages and so on. Really appreciate the input. If this is not fix by next week I guess I will have to go the Discover Card way. Thanks.

Where are you located?

Using any type of firewall?

Using any ad blocker or NoScript?

Give Chrome a try, portable version if you don't want to install it.

makora said:   I have tried with it IE, Firefox 25.01, Palemoon and Opera. I clean everything. Ran CCleaner and nothing! Dunno. I shouldn't have so many problems just to get into Van, send them messages and so on. Really appreciate the input. If this is not fix by next week I guess I will have to go the Discover Card way. Thanks.
††
Have you tried the desktop software or is that not an option for you? If possible, also try accessing it from a different computer. When VAN gets beyond buggy for me from time to time I get a sneaking suspicion that it is account specific when it works for others but still fails to work for me after I've exhaustive every troubleshooting method and then the problem magically resolves with no rhyme or reason.

I tried the link posted by Gpz1100, it tells me that I inputing the wrong ID or password, which I'm not. I usually use the desktop app but every time I go into my account and go into the virtual link I'm asked to get a code. I'm called, input the code. I'm taken to the page either to use the web or download the desktop version, which by the way is what I want. Press the button to download and it doesn't work. It is just a pasted button without any way to click and download. I have been working on this for the last three days. I have tried with 5 different computers. I have even tried it with my virtual Oses. Nothing! I go into my account to send them a message and I get kicked out of my account. I'm planning to call tomorrow. I just might get lucky and get someone that speaks English because the last time was so bad I could not understand a word. It is not that I have anything against our friends in India, but is very frustrating to say the least not to be able to converse with a person that doesn't have such a thick accent.

Tomorrow is another day, I'll see what it will bring.

Thanks

makora said:   I tried the link posted by Gpz1100, it tells me that I inputing the wrong ID or password, which I'm not. I usually use the desktop app but every time I go into my account and go into the virtual link I'm asked to get a code. I'm called, input the code. I'm taken to the page either to use the web or download the desktop version, which by the way is what I want. Press the button to download and it doesn't work. It is just a pasted button without any way to click and download. I have been working on this for the last three days. I have tried with 5 different computers. I have even tried it with my virtual Oses. Nothing! I go into my account to send them a message and I get kicked out of my account. I'm planning to call tomorrow. I just might get lucky and get someone that speaks English because the last time was so bad I could not understand a word. It is not that I have anything against our friends in India, but is very frustrating to say the least not to be able to converse with a person that doesn't have such a thick accent.

Tomorrow is another day, I'll see what it will bring.

Thanks

††
So frustrating. I feel your pain. Please let us know how things turn out.

Well,this morning I've decided to add another browser to my list. I installed Waterfox with a pristine profile. I signed in into Citi and click the message link. It worked! lol I did a chair dance and began to compose!: ) I sat there wrote about my woes gave information about my OS and the browsers I used and their versions. Described the look of the webpage and so on. As I was about to send I was kicked out!!!!! All that composition gone down the toilet because they haven't heard from me in whatever seconds they have set in the idiotic webpage.
I just sat there with my mouth open and shouting NO! Staring at the screen to put in my password! After screaming at the screen a few "colorful metaphors" in five different languages I went about signing in again, by now my sanity completely gone. This time when I signed in I went straight for the link for Van. Clicked the desktop version and waited for the page to load,(I think my quota of prayers is done for this year.), it offered me the "setup" file. I just stare at it. I kept thinking the bastard webpage is teasing me! LOL!! Yes, this have become personal since I lost my sanity. I click to download the file, installed it, crossed my fingers and signed into the Van desktop. Yes, it works. Well, until they decide to move the damn furniture again. Hopefully not until after the holidays.

That is my Story and I'm sticking to it! : )

makora said:   
That is my Story and I'm sticking to it! : )

††
spydermonkey said:   
makora said:   I have tried with it IE, Firefox 25.01, Palemoon and Opera. I clean everything. Ran CCleaner and nothing! Dunno. I shouldn't have so many problems just to get into Van, send them messages and so on. Really appreciate the input. If this is not fix by next week I guess I will have to go the Discover Card way. Thanks.

Where are you located?

Using any type of firewall?

Using any ad blocker or NoScript?

Give Chrome a try, portable version if you don't want to install it.

††

Hmm, had a strange occurrence using the new VAN app for the first time. I tried to buy something at OfficeDepot.com and entered my VAN CC number and it would not accept it. Just kept saying to check that I entered everything correctly. I ended up entering the same VAN in Paypal and then checked out using Paypal at the OfficeDepot.com site. This worked and I can see the hold on my CC.

Anyone else have a problem using VANs at OfficeDepot.com?

I just logged into my VANs via the Online / Browser method (Win7/IE9) and all of my Transaction History and Active Numbers are gone:

  • THERE ARE NO TRANSACTIONS TO VIEW
    .
  • THERE ARE NO ACCOUNT NUMBERS TO VIEW

CitiCard Tech Support, Davin, informed me that they are aware of the problem, there is an open Trouble Ticket, and to try again in 24 hours.

Just a FYI for anyone else trying to pay some bills today...

2devnull said:   
This is when you have un-qualified developers who know shite about security development.†

††
QFT

I have a two-pronged strategy for working around ChittyBank's incompetence:

1) Since I do most of my online shopping on Amazon, I generate 2 or 3 VANs with 6-month expiration dates and sufficiently large spending caps and store them in my Amazon profile. Then when placing an order I simply re-use the same VANs over and over again. The reason I need more than one is Amazon uses different merchant names depending on whether the item is sold by Amazon itself or sold by one of their Marketplace vendors. Other parts of Amazon (Kindle, Prime, and perhaps others) use still more merchant names. Mildly annoying, but it works.
2) For other online merchants, if I need to generate a VAN but the ChittyBank web site is borked, I switch to my backup account (Discover) and generate a SAN (Secure Account Number) instead. SANs aren't as flexible as VANs, but the Discover web site is orders of magnitude more reliable than ChittyBank's; I can't recall an instance where I could not generate a SAN when I needed one.

Friday, 11/29/13, I received the same two errors that I was receiving on Thursday, 11/28/13. But today, Saturday, 11/30/13, I saw my Active Numbers and Transaction History *ONCE*! Then I got 'Error 1030'. I spoke with Arla in Tech Support who put me on hold for several minutes while she conferred with her supervisor Elizabeth, an Account Manager. After unsuccessfully resetting my account, Arla opened a new Trouble Ticket but was unable to give me any kind of "Will be Fixed By Date". At this point, Arla was in a big rush to end the call while I was still writing down names, titles and 'promises'.

After hanging up the phone, I tried to log on with Chrome 25. The first time I got a 'System Error', no 'Error 1030'. The second time I got the "Call me at my home number and give me a CitiCard ID Code good for 10 minutes" screen. I did and it worked - for a short time. I saw my Active Numbers and Transaction History but when I went to use an Active Number, I got an error. I switched back to IE9 and again reached the "CitiCard ID Code good for 10 minutes" screen. This time I was able to get as far as USING the existing Active Number. When I tried to change the Amount and Months, the Amount was pre-filled with the Transaction History Total instead of the VAN Remaining Balance. I entered my new desired Amount and 12 for the Months, clicked GENERATE and it errored out.

I appears to me that when the background "LAUNCH Web-Based Version" screen asks for your PW due to lack of recent activity, the Pop-Up window for VANs seems to die. Just a hunch at this point in time - as a retired Programmer/Analyst, it appears like someone might be using the SAME COOKIE for both screens and when the LAUNCH screen times out, the VAN Pop-Up Window starts erroring out. Anyhow, signed back in to the LAUNCH screen, got back to the VAN screen, was presented with a third "CitiCard ID Code good for 10 minutes" screen, entered it and this time I was able to complete my transaction of updating the Amount and Expiration Date of an exisiting Active VAN.

Thinking I was now on a roll, I attempted to update the Amount and Expiration Date of a second existing Active VAN and got another 'Error 1030'. Enough fun for one day - I'll try my luck again tomorrow. At least now I can pay ONE bill. LOL!

Is anyone else experiencing any problems?

I was having issues in recent days, even with the link I posted earlier.† It would let me enter my login/pass, then get jammed up at the verifying information screen.† Erased every cookie that contained citi or accountonline and tried again.† This time it let me log in just fine.†

Citi programmers need to find other things to fix... er break!

For the first time ever I was prompted to call Citi because of a problem with my account when I tried to generate a VAN with dollar limit. I closed the standalone app and reopened. The second time it worked flawlessly. It might not work for you, but if you have a similar problem try rebooting the standalone app before calling them.

CITI did something and my virtual account app no longer works. It's trying to send me to some webpage and I get 404 not found. are we back at square one?

You may need yet another update because a few minutes ago Citi said the version I updated last week was obsolete. † The latest online and downloaded vrsions seem OK.

IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING ISSUES LOGGING INTO CITIBANK FOR A "VAN"...

After 10 days of not being able to log in, random browser errors, clearing cookies, different browsers, home & office attempts etc., I called Citigroup. After two transfers to a senior tech, it was explained to me that if anything at all is updated or changed on your account (phone #, address, zip, name, almost anything), this "flags" the account for a "VAN hold" for at least 14 days. You will NOT see any message indicating this anywhere online.† I should also note I tried BOTH the browser and the citivan.exe download.† When attempting to open the download, I got the message to update it with a link that then redirects to a "we've encountered an error".

So if you logged in and noticed you needed to update your account profile information, and you did, you're probably out of luck generating a virtual account number for a couple weeks. Hope this helps someone who was as frustrated with the "errors and redirects" as I was.

It happened to me again. I had just generated a VAN for a purchase at eBay and tried to generate another VAN in the same session. I got the notice that there was a problem with my account, including an error number, and to call them. I did the same as the other time this happened. I exited the Citi VAN app and restarted it. Again, no problem after rebooting.

And the drama deepens, now I need a code for every virtual number I use. I think whomever is running this whole thing at citi is swimming in the dark, deep end of the universal pool. Welcome to the darkside! : )

I'm working with a team to deliver a new VAN solution and would love to hear from this passionate and devoted community. How do you use VANs currently? How can they be better? Would you sign up for a new credit card that had these features? Please reach out to me at andrew@getfinal.com - I very much look forward to hearing from you.

My last four uses have been code, code, code, then no code over the last week. I was becoming resigned to the fact I was going to need a code every time, and the last one surprised me.

andrew9659 said:   I'm working with a team to deliver a new VAN solution and would love to hear from this passionate and devoted community. How do you use VANs currently? How can they be better? Would you sign up for a new credit card that had these features? Please reach out to me at andrew@getfinal.com - I very much look forward to hearing from you.
††And†the "team" you work with is...

retrac said:   
andrew9659 said:   I'm working with a team to deliver a new VAN solution and would love to hear from this passionate and devoted community. How do you use VANs currently? How can they be better? Would you sign up for a new credit card that had these features? Please reach out to me at andrew@getfinal.com - I very much look forward to hearing from you.
††And†the "team" you work with is...

††
Based on the WhoIs, not Citibank.

You can just look at the website for getfinal.com to see where this person is from.

Thanks retrac, spydermonkey, and Space for your comments. You are correct - you can find information about us at getfinal.com. We're currently working on the technology but hope to have more information on our website in the near future. We're a technology company working with banking partners to provide this technology - either as a new credit card product or to their existing customers. If you have some time, it would be helpful to understand why you use the VAN product and how we could make a better and more secure credit card that fits your needs. Please don't hesitate to email me at andrew@getfinal.com or join our pre-launch list to get first access to our card and updates at www.getfinal.com.

So now andrew9659 is PMing ...

"retrac, would love to hear how we can make a better and more secure digital credit card for your needs. Would you be willing to talk to me via email or phone/Skype?"

"Cheers,
Andrew
andrew@getfinal.com"


Um, sure

retrac - I messaged you because I would like to learn your thoughts on VAN products because: 1) you are engaged in a forum about Citi's VAN and 2) you have responded to past comments related to my post.†If you're not interested, no problem.

We're building a company and product that puts customers' needs first. We find that the best way to learn what a customer's (and potential customer's) needs are is to talk to them directly. I would like anyone who is interested in a secure digital credit card to take me up on that offer at any time. My contact info is above, as retrac posted.

andrew9659 said:   retrac - I messaged you because I would like to learn your thoughts on VAN products because: 1) you are engaged in a forum about Citi's VAN and 2) you have responded to past comments related to my post.†If you're not interested, no problem.

We're building a company and product that puts customers' needs first. We find that the best way to learn what a customer's (and potential customer's) needs are is to talk to them directly. I would like anyone who is interested in a secure digital credit card to take me up on that offer at any time. My contact info is above, as retrac posted.

††
How would your virtual card be a novel idea from Mastercard's Orbiscom who invented and patented virtual credit card numbers?††

I couldn't agree more. †Their phone verification won't work if you have forwarded your number. †That makes it unusable if you are travelling abroad with a foreign sim card. †Just when you would most like the safety of VAN. †I'm going to look for an alternative right NOW!

Is anybody else having trouble getting Citi's VAN to work lately?† I've tried both the downloadable version, and the website using IE, Firefox, and Chrome.† When I select the option to generate a number, it pops open†a new window and the progress bar shows its loading.† But then it stops partway, and the window goes blank, and never comes back.† Its been broken for me since last weekend, and I have pop-up blockers disabled.

ekazoh said:   Is anybody else having trouble getting Citi's VAN to work lately?† I've tried both the downloadable version, and the website using IE, Firefox, and Chrome.† When I select the option to generate a number, it pops open†a new window and the progress bar shows its loading.† But then it stops partway, and the window goes blank, and never comes back.† Its been broken for me since last weekend, and I have pop-up blockers disabled.
††Using the downloaded version & having no prob's Knock on Wood

Anyone else getting an issue where you're getting a message stating the billing zip code entered does not match the one on the card? I've tried changing it even but no matter what I do it looks like Citi is now inserting 4 digits after the 5 digit zip code. Tried 'Zip Code-0000', 'ZipCode0000' and other variations and can't seem to get it to work. This only started happening the last few days.

I'm not sure in what context you are getting that, but the VAN app seems to be working fine for me.

Maybe they need your Zip+4?

If you don't know what your Zip+4 is, look at your address on any letter you've gotten from a business, they usually use the Zip+4.

DBL185 said:   Anyone else getting an issue where you're getting a message stating the billing zip code entered does not match the one on the card? I've tried changing it even but no matter what I do it looks like Citi is now inserting 4 digits after the 5 digit zip code. Tried 'Zip Code-0000', 'ZipCode0000' and other variations and can't seem to get it to work. This only started happening the last few days.
††
Who is asking you for your zip code? †Ive never been asked for a zip code via VAN website.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014