• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have a neighbor sick on chemotherapy drugs. His landlord just replaced his outside door with a lousy screen door on Thursday with huge gaps on the top and bottom that let winter air right in to the apartment. My neighbor has been asking for those gaps to be fixed since the problem started on Thursday, 4 days ago. (Thursday was when that his outside door was replaced by a screen door.) Today he finally got a hold of the landlord who he's been calling since Thursday. I was there to hear the call. He told the landlord he was on sick on chemotherapy drugs and that the door had gaps on the top and bottom letting outside air in. The landlord was rude, refused to even look at the door until Wednesday and hung up. What should he do? Write negative reviews? Call an attorney? Stay in a hotel and try deducting that from rent?

Further, this real estate company/landlord has been known to start construction on his unit and in his walkway completely unannounced. Contractors just barge into his apartment sometimes catching him coming out of the shower. I am sick of watching this and would like to do something about it as well.

Edit: The screen door is primarily glass as explained below. It may or may not qualify as a storm door. I'm not good with doors. I just noticed that it has huge gaps that let in winter air and doesn't insulate much at all.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What state is this in?

Should likely fail a habitability standard as SIS mentioned.

jerosen (Dec. 25, 2012 @ 3:25p) |

Not after op provided additional details that there is actually a steel door with deadbolt and now an outside glass stor... (more)

SUCKISSTAPLES (Dec. 25, 2012 @ 3:34p) |

How about some pics of these doors and gaps???

lotusgardener (Dec. 26, 2012 @ 1:08p) |

  • Also categorized in:

Contractors shouldn't be able to barge into his apartment unannounced. He needs a lawyer.

Does the neighbor live alone?
What did your neighbor say when you asked? His social worker?
Why do you think the neighbor hasn't moved if the condition is so deplorable?

Do you really know the whole story?
Mind your own business?

Is he behind on rent? Sounds like LL is trying to get rid of him.

DeGlass said:   Does the neighbor live alone?
What did your neighbor say when you asked? His social worker?
Why do you think the neighbor hasn't moved if the condition is so deplorable?

Do you really know the whole story?
Mind your own business?


Yes.

Neighbor doesn't have a social worker. I witnessed the whole thing. They gave him a screen door instead of an outside door and refuse to even look at the problem until Wednesday. There is no excuse for not giving him a reasonable outside door in the middle of winter.

The unit, other than front door, is fine and in a nice neighborhood.

Yes.

No.

bbr said:   Is he behind on rent? Sounds like LL is trying to get rid of him.

He's not behind on rent and has a nice job. From reading reviews, this might be their standard way of treating tenants.

Gauss44 said:   bbr said:   Is he behind on rent? Sounds like LL is trying to get rid of him.

He's not behind on rent and has a nice job. From reading reviews, this might be their standard way of treating tenants.

So the neighbor is fully capable of taking care of himself.

Are you prepared to take him in when the LL kicks him out?
Why don't you go get him a door if you really mean to help instead of being an InterWeb superhero?

DeGlass said:   Gauss44 said:   bbr said:   Is he behind on rent? Sounds like LL is trying to get rid of him.

He's not behind on rent and has a nice job. From reading reviews, this might be their standard way of treating tenants.

So the neighbor is fully capable of taking care of himself.

Are you prepared to take him in when the LL kicks him out?
Why don't you go get him a door if you really mean to help instead of being an InterWeb superhero?


I think the landlord should take responsibility. The point I would like to make is that this tenant should be treated better. There should be a way to achieve this without having the tenant kicked out.

I just can't believe a landlord would replace a front door with only a screen door , leaving the home insecure and open to the weather

If that's really true , call the health department , the residence is uninhabitable . Also call a tenants rights attorney

Is this a landlord, or a company with a property manager?

Hint#1 - drop the sob story about being on chemo, etc. And I just mean "sob story" as in how it comes off, immediately setting the tone that you are asking for special accommodations due to personal circumstances, rather than merely expecting the landlord to fulfill his obligations presumably according to the lease.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I just can't believe a landlord would replace a front door with only a screen door , leaving the home insecure and open to the weather

If that's really true , call the health department , the residence is uninhabitable . Also call a tenants rights attorney


There are two doors but both doors have holes in them. One is a screen door (now or since Thursday), and the other is a metal door. Both have holes where outside air flows right in. My best guess is that whoever replaced the door described in the topic overlooked that part (inaccurately thinking that the metal security door sealed, which it doesn't).

The second door, left out of the topic, is one of those metal doors used in urban areas for security, I think. It has holes and doesn't seal but it does lock so security might be fine. Hopefully this makes better sense.

Yep
Whether you are on Chemo or not, a landlord cannot replace your front door with just an open screen door

How about calling a few local TV/radio stations with that sob story?

Gauss44 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I just can't believe a landlord would replace a front door with only a screen door , leaving the home insecure and open to the weather

If that's really true , call the health department , the residence is uninhabitable . Also call a tenants rights attorney


There are two doors but both doors have holes in them. One is a screen door (now or since Thursday), and the other is a metal door. Both have holes where outside air flows right in. My best guess is that whoever replaced the door described in the topic overlooked that part (inaccurately thinking that the metal security door sealed, which it doesn't).

The second door, left out of the topic, is one of those metal doors used in urban areas for security, I think. It has holes and doesn't seal but it does lock so security might be fine. Hopefully this makes better sense.

Good job leaving the fact there are two doors out of the topic .

So really it sounds like you are just complaining about weatherstripping gaps.

Get some $5 weatherstripping and fix it if you are such the concerned neighbor

sensia said:   How about calling a few local TV/radio stations with that sob story?

I think there are better places to find slum lord stories, starting with online reviews. I could be wrong but don't think my neighbor wants to be the center of a media story.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Gauss44 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I just can't believe a landlord would replace a front door with only a screen door , leaving the home insecure and open to the weather

If that's really true , call the health department , the residence is uninhabitable . Also call a tenants rights attorney


There are two doors but both doors have holes in them. One is a screen door (now or since Thursday), and the other is a metal door. Both have holes where outside air flows right in. My best guess is that whoever replaced the door described in the topic overlooked that part (inaccurately thinking that the metal security door sealed, which it doesn't).

The second door, left out of the topic, is one of those metal doors used in urban areas for security, I think. It has holes and doesn't seal but it does lock so security might be fine. Hopefully this makes better sense.

Good job leaving the fact there are two doors out of the topic .

So really it sounds like you are just complaining about weatherstripping gaps.

Get some $5 weatherstripping and fix it if you are such the concerned neighbor


The gaps on the metal door are more like 4 inches and within the body of the door. Maybe weather stripping would help the glass door which has gaps of less than an inch on the top and bottom but probably over a centimeter and doesn't seal well anywhere around the edges. I don't know anything about doors or construction. When I posted the topic, I didn't think that it mattered whether there was one inadequate door or ten. Now I see that it helps explain things. While I am willing to help fix the physical problem of the door, I am more concerned about how the tenant is being treated.

Look. There's this thing called Christmas tomorrow.

Unless something or someone is on fire, ain't no one going to do anything about this until Wednesday.

- No handyman service
- No health and human services agency
- No attorney
- No third-string local news anchor staffing a newscast no one will be watching

Not even, it appears, you.

BEEFjerKAY said:   Look. There's this thing called Christmas tomorrow.

Unless something or someone is on fire, ain't no one going to do anything about this until Wednesday.

- No handyman service
- No health and human services agency
- No attorney
- No third-string local news anchor staffing a newscast no one will be watching

Not even, it appears, you.


This is part of my problem with the timing of replacing his door unannounced on Thursday, 4 days ago.

Dude, swing by a hardware store and get some pink insulation to shove in the gaps or stuff them with old towels until after the holidays. I'm not sure if the landlord or a maintenance worker did the door replacement (and there's tons of issues with what you're describing as notice) but more than likely they didn't have the right trim and weren't motivated to solve all that at the time.

What you can do, is help your neighbor and provide a temporary fix that can be easily removed when a more permanent fix is available. It's not really your problem but, if you must, you can alleviate the symptom.

Maybe the guy has enough battles going on right now that he doesn't need to make new ones with crummy landlord.

ChefJoe said:   Dude, swing by a hardware store and get some pink insulation to shove in the gaps or stuff them with old towels until after the holidays. I'm not sure if the landlord or a maintenance worker did the door replacement (and there's tons of issues with what you're describing as notice) but more than likely they didn't have the right trim and weren't motivated to solve all that at the time.

What you can do, is help your neighbor and provide a temporary fix that can be easily removed when a more permanent fix is available. It's not really your problem but, if you must, you can alleviate the symptom.

Maybe the guy has enough battles going on right now that he doesn't need to make new ones with crummy landlord.


We'll definitely do that much. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gauss44 said:    Maybe weather stripping would help the glass door which has gaps of less than an inch on the top and bottom but probably over a centimeter and doesn't seal well anywhere around the edges.

Kudos for mastering both metric and imperial units.

Dunno how to get the LL to come faster, but in the meantime...

1. Who pays the heating bill? If it's the LL, crank the thermostat!

2. Does the screen door seal around the edges? If yes, grab some cardboard and duct tape, cover or replace the screens, lock the door to keep it from blowing open.

3. Does the metal door seal around the edges? See #2, or go to the hardware store and get a can of "Great Stuff" spray foam insulation for about $5. You may have to layer it in there to fill a 4" gap (never heard of a metal door with gaps in the middle, btw). Bonus points for you if you come back the next day with a box cutter to trim it, sand paper to smooth it, and a little paint to match the color of the door.

4. If neither door seals around the edges, someone already mentioned weatherstripping (the cheap option), or as long as there's another exit he can use, you could get a window insulation kit - basically saran wrap that you tape around the edges of the moulding then hit it with a hair drier to seal it shut.

I hope the ghost of Christmas future visits your neighbor's LL tonight!

SomeOtherChick said:   Dunno how to get the LL to come faster, but in the meantime...

1. Who pays the heating bill? If it's the LL, crank the thermostat!

2. Does the screen door seal around the edges? If yes, grab some cardboard and duct tape, cover or replace the screens, lock the door to keep it from blowing open.

3. Does the metal door seal around the edges? See #2, or go to the hardware store and get a can of "Great Stuff" spray foam insulation for about $5. You may have to layer it in there to fill a 4" gap (never heard of a metal door with gaps in the middle, btw). Bonus points for you if you come back the next day with a box cutter to trim it, sand paper to smooth it, and a little paint to match the color of the door.

4. If neither door seals around the edges, someone already mentioned weatherstripping (the cheap option), or as long as there's another exit he can use, you could get a window insulation kit - basically saran wrap that you tape around the edges of the moulding then hit it with a hair drier to seal it shut.

I hope the ghost of Christmas future visits your neighbor's LL tonight!


Thanks, I like the idea of spray-on foam. Only drawback is it sounds permanent and I dunno if LL will approve. If he doesn't maybe LL will use that as an excuse not to fix door properly or replace it. Or he might try to charge the tenant.

I agree dont use foam, just something temporary till the landlord can get to it

A screen door is not designed to keep out the weather
Or be weathertight.

What kind of door was there before, that was replaced by the screen door ?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I agree dont use foam, just something temporary till the landlord can get to it

A screen door is not designed to keep out the weather
Or be weathertight.

What kind of door was there before, that was replaced by the screen door ?


A wooden door that sealed tight. The wooden door had lots of windows though so it might have been mistaken as a screen door based entirely on appearance.

figure out a way to plug it up --- if there is a will, there is a way

you say in your first post "his outside door was replaced by a screen door" that is an exact quote, i copy and paste. then you later admit you are a dirty rotten rat liar troll when u say that instead of replace door, he was kind enough to add extra door. so he have extra door then landlord put extra door and mr cancer all mad? that is a christmas gift of exceedingly kindness (the gift of a door) and u just come on here and talk trash with your misleadings and lies saying theres nothin but just some flimsy vinyl screen between his living room and the outside all snow all blowing in icecikles everywhere where u get the nerve on xmas to talk such trash come at us with this drama for petes sake, your lies r strictly for the birds homslice.

Someone hit the egg nog too early

OliverQuackenbush said:   you say in your first post "his outside door was replaced by a screen door" that is an exact quote, i copy and paste. then you later admit you are a dirty rotten rat liar troll when u say that instead of replace door, he was kind enough to add extra door. so he have extra door then landlord put extra door and mr cancer all mad? that is a christmas gift of exceedingly kindness (the gift of a door) and u just come on here and talk trash with your misleadings and lies saying theres nothin but just some flimsy vinyl screen between his living room and the outside all snow all blowing in icecikles everywhere where u get the nerve on xmas to talk such trash come at us with this drama for petes sake, your lies r strictly for the birds homslice.

No, you need to reread.

Gauss44 said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   you say in your first post "his outside door was replaced by a screen door" that is an exact quote, i copy and paste. then you later admit you are a dirty rotten rat liar troll when u say that instead of replace door, he was kind enough to add extra door. so he have extra door then landlord put extra door and mr cancer all mad? that is a christmas gift of exceedingly kindness (the gift of a door) and u just come on here and talk trash with your misleadings and lies saying theres nothin but just some flimsy vinyl screen between his living room and the outside all snow all blowing in icecikles everywhere where u get the nerve on xmas to talk such trash come at us with this drama for petes sake, your lies r strictly for the birds homslice.

No, you need to reread.


No, needs a re-tread. The wheels have come off.

as the band journey says:

the wheels at op's apartment keep on turning
i dont know where he'll be tomorrow (when hes evicted for complaining so much)

OliverQuackenbush said:   as the band journey says:

the wheels at op's apartment keep on turning
i dont know where he'll be tomorrow (when hes evicted for complaining so much)


Next verse?

Before this thread gets completely off track, this is the way I read it. Op please correct me if I'm wrong.....

Apartment has 2 exterior doors - 1 security door (I imagine this to be the ornamental type that allows air to flow through) and 1 normal solid door that has a bunch of windows. The maintenance man comes by and removes the solid/window door and replaces it with a flimsy door similar to a screen door. This does not present a security risk but does make make the apartment drafty.

There are only 2 scenarios that would make sense to me. 1. The landlord is ready for the tenant to move out (undesirable tenant) and doesn't want to go through the eviction process. Or 2. They needed the door for another unit. Either the other unit didn't have the security door or that tenant was being a PITA and this was a way to get them to shut up.

This is based on the limited info contained in this post. I doubt we or the OP has the entire story, so it's likely I'm way off base with my post. But hey, it's Christmas and this response is helping me stay away from my in-laws. Thanks OP!

bbr said:   Before this thread gets completely off track, this is the way I read it. Op please correct me if I'm wrong.....

Apartment has 2 exterior doors - 1 security door (I imagine this to be the ornamental type that allows air to flow through) and 1 normal solid door that has a bunch of windows. The maintenance man comes by and removes the solid/window door and replaces it with a flimsy door similar to a screen door. This does not present a security risk but does make make the apartment drafty.

There are only 2 scenarios that would make sense to me. 1. The landlord is ready for the tenant to move out (undesirable tenant) and doesn't want to go through the eviction process. Or 2. They needed the door for another unit. Either the other unit didn't have the security door or that tenant was being a PITA and this was a way to get them to shut up.

This is based on the limited info contained in this post. I doubt we or the OP has the entire story, so it's likely I'm way off base with my post. But hey, it's Christmas and this response is helping me stay away from my in-laws. Thanks OP!


Yeah, 2 doors total (now a screen door with gaps followed by a metal security door with holes and gaps). The original first door, the wooden door, had loose windows and the wood was rotten. It needed to be replaced. LL didn't say when it would be replaced and didn't even talk about replacing it for months, then came unannounced Thursday before Christmas. That's when the wooden door was replaced with a screen door that has gaps over a centimeter high between the top of the door and the doorway and the bottom of the door and the step. The doorway is an odd size so I'm not sure that the original door is in use at all.

The problem that I have is not the apparent goof of a lack of a sealing door. It is the lack of response since Thursday in the winter considering everything else mentioned.

The security doors are usually the outside doors, not the inside door

I can't imagine any contractor , no matter how incompetent , would put a screen door in front of a security door

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   The security doors are usually the outside doors, not the inside door

I can't imagine any contractor , no matter how incompetent , would put a screen door in front of a security door


The screen door is certainly outside the security door. I have no idea why that is unless a regular outside door wouldn't fit behind the security door which is probably the case. I believe that the metal door is, in fact a security door. The metal door is large, very old looking, and has a deadbolt. The metal is directly connected to brick walls.

Pics?
I think that's the first time I've said that not about an OPs wife/gf and meant it.
Pics of the doors would answer a lot of questions for folks here.

imbatman said:   Pics?
I think that's the first time I've said that not about an OPs wife/gf and meant it.
Pics of the doors would answer a lot of questions for folks here.


I didn't take a picture of it but let me see what I can find online.

The metal door looks a lot like this one, except there's a 4" gap at the top and bottom and barred windows carved in probably with a metal cutter: http://depositphotos.com/2928873/stock-photo-An-old-arch-and-a-m... The hinges are exactly like the picture and the door way is brick. But it's a deadbolt, not a pad lock. If you are good at visualizing: The metal door's gaps on the sides, top, and bottom are sort of hidden when the door's shut because it has a larger frame than the screen door which is in front of it (if looking at it from outside).

The screen door looks a lot like the bottom door here (scroll down) http://kateanddally.typepad.com/kateanddally/2008/10/in-celebrat... except the bottom of the door is over a centimeter above the concrete step. When the door shuts, that centmeter+ gap stays there letting in whatever. (We temporarily plugged it but now you can't use the door.

That is a storm door. A screen door is essentially screening attached to a frame, to let air in but keep bugs out. A storm door should keep out the elements well enough until the landlord can fix it on Wednesday, if you plug the gaps.

Skipping 18 Messages...
How about some pics of these doors and gaps???



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014