• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
satchelsofgold said:   That is a storm door. A screen door is essentially screening attached to a frame, to let air in but keep bugs out. A storm door should keep out the elements well enough until the landlord can fix it on Wednesday, if you plug the gaps.

The landlord referred to it as a screen door. I'm not good with doors so the picture might be slightly incorrect. It looks similar.

I will update the topic to make sure this is clear, that it's not merely a screen but mostly glass with gaps on top and bottom and kind of crappy sides that don't seal air out either.

OliverQuackenbush said:   that is a christmas gift of exceedingly kindness (the gift of a door)This is so great.

Crazytree said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   that is a christmas gift of exceedingly kindness (the gift of a door)This is so great.

Christmas gift gone wrong maybe.

Gauss44 said:   satchelsofgold said:   That is a storm door. A screen door is essentially screening attached to a frame, to let air in but keep bugs out. A storm door should keep out the elements well enough until the landlord can fix it on Wednesday, if you plug the gaps.

The landlord referred to it as a screen door. I'm not good with doors so the picture might be slightly incorrect. It looks similar.

I will update the topic to make sure this is clear, that it's not merely a screen but mostly glass with gaps on top and bottom and kind of crappy sides that don't seal air out either.

When there is glass it's called a storm door. A screen door is fiberglass screen material that lets air through . A glass storm door with one centimeter gaps is not really anything unusual . It needs some weatherstripping and that should eliminate most of the problem .

It will likely never be as good as the former wooden door

ask yourself: what does chemotherapy drugs have to do with anything?
sure we can feel generally bad for him, not sure it makes him more or less entitled to top quality american made Anderson doors and windows than other tenants who shiver in the cold.

another question to ask yourself: how often is he coming out of the shower per day? how often do the contractors come in while he is nude? does he schedule the time he comes out of the shower around anticipated visits by contractors? you make it sound like this happens multiple times per day? maybe this is a strange way they are flirting. pics please.

OliverQuackenbush said:   ask yourself: what does chemotherapy drugs have to do with anything?
sure we can feel generally bad for him, not sure it makes him more or less entitled to top quality american made Anderson doors and windows than other tenants who shiver in the cold.

another question to ask yourself: how often is he coming out of the shower per day? how often do the contractors come in while he is nude? does he schedule the time he comes out of the shower around anticipated visits by contractors? you make it sound like this happens multiple times per day? maybe this is a strange way they are flirting. pics please.

1. Has to do with a sense of decency.

2. I assume once.

3. Hopefully rarely and never again. I've heard that the contractors tend to show up in the mornings which IS when people shower. I read a review where another tenant (female that time) complained about the same thing. They really should make arrangements with tenants before showing up.

4. No.

5. No.

It sounds like they just forgot to put or didn't have the door weather stripping, its cheap to buy and easy to install go to your local hardware. This really isn't a big problem. I have had to do it many times. And your neighbor will appreciate it very much. The landlord may not have understood what the problem was. I didn't get it until I saw the pictures

Ecuadorgr said:   Gauss44 said:    Maybe weather stripping would help the glass door which has gaps of less than an inch on the top and bottom but probably over a centimeter and doesn't seal well anywhere around the edges.

Kudos for mastering both metric and imperial units.

You know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France?

kahuna

A few thoughts.
1.If you want to help your friend, first be clear what he wants. He may want his door fixed, but may NOT want to move more. If that is the case, you use different tactics to get the door fixed than you would if your friend wanted to get out of the lease and move.

2.Your friend needs to look at his lease and see what form complaints must be made in. Most require complaints/repair requests be made in writing unless an emergency.

3. Read your state's landlord tenant law. Often, legal aid or tenant group will have an online pamphlet explaining tenant rights. There may be some important notice requirements you need to follow.

4. In many states, if after you complain about a problem that makes the premises uninhabitable,and give the landlord the notice required by your state's laws to repair the problem, you can repair or cause it to be repaired and deduct the amount from your rent. This is not a move to take lightly.

5.In most states it is illegal to retaliate against tenants who complain or make repairs themselves and withhold the cost from the rent, but the LL will likely make your friend miserable or ignore the law, knowing your friend will not likely sue.

6. Even if you think the law is on your friend's side, judges still interpret that law. One judge may find a very drafty door with gaps, makes the premises uninhabitable, wherea another judge may see it as a minor issue and then see your friend as a whiny tenant. The difference can be that stark.

7. I'm guessing your friend is of limited means; if so, contact the legal aid office in your area. They usually have excellent attorneys and it won't cost your friend anything. There are also legal groups to help people suffering from cancer with problems they encounter.Also, acontacting a cancer advocacy group might help. they may call on your tenant's behalf and shame the LL into providing a weathertight door.

8. The LL/tenant laws in my state require the loser to pay the prevailing party's attorney fees. If this is the case in your state, you may be able to find a consumer or tenant's right atty that will take your case on a contingency basis, meaning the atty agrees to only be paid if he wins.

9. If LL is rude on the phone check your state's laws about recording conversationsand record calls or in person visits from LL if your state is a one party consent state.

10. Call local code or building inspection officials and file a complaint. This can often be done anonymously by email or phone call.

11. If it is cold and windy where your friend is, perform and record a demonstration of this fact. Hold a lit candle or hang a piece of ribbon in front of the door to show how badly the drafts are coming in.

12.Anytime you have a problem that could escalate to litigation or complaint to a govt agency, Collect all the evidence you can. Take lots of pictures. Try to get unbiased witnesses who would be willing to testify if necessary. Collect as much evidence as possible.

13. Practical advice:
Hang a heavy blanket over the entire door opening until the LL comes to repair.

Help your friend stay as stress free as possible. It affects the immune system.

Make soup. Bring him a Snuggli and a pair of socks.

Watch a funny movie and laugh.

Talk about what you are grateful for. He should be grateful for having a friend like you to look out for him.
Peace.

noless said:   A few thoughts.
1.If you want to help your friend, first be clear what he wants. He may want his door fixed, but may NOT want to move more. If that is the case, you use different tactics to get the door fixed than you would if your friend wanted to get out of the lease and move.

2.Your friend needs to look at his lease and see what form complaints must be made in. Most require complaints/repair requests be made in writing unless an emergency.

3. Read your state's landlord tenant law. Often, legal aid or tenant group will have an online pamphlet explaining tenant rights. There may be some important notice requirements you need to follow.

4. In many states, if after you complain about a problem that makes the premises uninhabitable,and give the landlord the notice required by your state's laws to repair the problem, you can repair or cause it to be repaired and deduct the amount from your rent. This is not a move to take lightly.

5.In most states it is illegal to retaliate against tenants who complain or make repairs themselves and withhold the cost from the rent, but the LL will likely make your friend miserable or ignore the law, knowing your friend will not likely sue.

6. Even if you think the law is on your friend's side, judges still interpret that law. One judge may find a very drafty door with gaps, makes the premises uninhabitable, wherea another judge may see it as a minor issue and then see your friend as a whiny tenant. The difference can be that stark.

7. I'm guessing your friend is of limited means; if so, contact the legal aid office in your area. They usually have excellent attorneys and it won't cost your friend anything. There are also legal groups to help people suffering from cancer with problems they encounter.Also, acontacting a cancer advocacy group might help. they may call on your tenant's behalf and shame the LL into providing a weathertight door.

8. The LL/tenant laws in my state require the loser to pay the prevailing party's attorney fees. If this is the case in your state, you may be able to find a consumer or tenant's right atty that will take your case on a contingency basis, meaning the atty agrees to only be paid if he wins.

9. If LL is rude on the phone check your state's laws about recording conversationsand record calls or in person visits from LL if your state is a one party consent state.

10. Call local code or building inspection officials and file a complaint. This can often be done anonymously by email or phone call.

11. If it is cold and windy where your friend is, perform and record a demonstration of this fact. Hold a lit candle or hang a piece of ribbon in front of the door to show how badly the drafts are coming in.

12.Anytime you have a problem that could escalate to litigation or complaint to a govt agency, Collect all the evidence you can. Take lots of pictures. Try to get unbiased witnesses who would be willing to testify if necessary. Collect as much evidence as possible.

13. Practical advice:
Hang a heavy blanket over the entire door opening until the LL comes to repair.

Help your friend stay as stress free as possible. It affects the immune system.

Make soup. Bring him a Snuggli and a pair of socks.

Watch a funny movie and laugh.

Talk about what you are grateful for. He should be grateful for having a friend like you to look out for him.
Peace.

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully it wont come down to the force of law. I really just want the LL to treat him better. I'm thinking his best bet might be to write a letter about the door and include a paragraph about wanting a pleasant relationship with LL but it's difficult when (long list here) is going on. Your prompt attention is appreciated...

king0fSpades said:   Ecuadorgr said:   Gauss44 said:    Maybe weather stripping would help the glass door which has gaps of less than an inch on the top and bottom but probably over a centimeter and doesn't seal well anywhere around the edges.

Kudos for mastering both metric and imperial units.

You know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France?

They call it a .113 kilogrammer with cheese.
Or maybe 0.000113 ton with cheese
Forget that Royale business.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   The security doors are usually the outside doors, not the inside door

I can't imagine any contractor , no matter how incompetent , would put a screen door in front of a security door

I've seen it done both ways, in New England and in Texas the screen doors are most commonly on the outside.

lonestarguy said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   The security doors are usually the outside doors, not the inside door

I can't imagine any contractor , no matter how incompetent , would put a screen door in front of a security door
I've seen it done both ways, in New England and in Texas the screen doors are most commonly on the outside.
Agree, I grew up in the midwest, the screen door (or storm door) was always the outside door. I can't imagine having an ugly screen door facing the interior of the house.

To a lot of people Christmas brings stress rather than joy. Maybe the landlord's in-laws were visiting with their 14 cats, the wife demanded a piece of jewelry worth more than his car, and he waited in line for an hour at the post office just to be told they couldn't take the packages because the wrapping paper was too thin, right before your neighbor called to complain about a 1 cm gap above the new door he just purchased.

What state is this in?

Should likely fail a habitability standard as SIS mentioned.

jerosen said:   What state is this in?

Should likely fail a habitability standard as SIS mentioned.

Not after op provided additional details that there is actually a steel door with deadbolt and now an outside glass storm Door.

How about some pics of these doors and gaps???

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014