• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
ProfessorEd said:   
So does this mean that for those who have $100 in the account (once the minimum to avoid fees), can now reduce it to a nominal amount and still expect to get free TurboTax each year?

I did the free TurboTax deal last year, and then withdrew $99, leaving $1 in the account just to keep it open. A few days ago I went through the steps outlined in the OP and I will be getting TurboTax free again this year. So YES, it looks like you can withdrawal your money and continue to get the deal each year.

I have not seen any wording on either website this year that it is limited to the first 10,000 users or anything of the sort that was seen in previous years.

I was able to do this last year with no problems, but this year all I see is a $20 off option. I don't see anything that's free. I have a savings account still with $100 in it from last year.

Edit: Works now. Had to re-add the account for some reason.

Just registed for Fed and State (NY) and both are free!

NY forms are available.

Could someone please post the prices of the various options (editions, state vs. no state, online vs. download)? I know it's a lot to ask, but it would really help decide whether to sign up for a State Farm account if I could compare the price of what I want (deluxe+state+e-file download) with the prices available elsewhere.

TaxAct fee is $13 for both fed and state filing plus telephone support. thinking about creating State Farm account.

psm321 said:   Could someone please post the prices of the various options (editions, state vs. no state, online vs. download)? I know it's a lot to ask, but it would really help decide whether to sign up for a State Farm account if I could compare the price of what I want (deluxe+state+e-file download) with the prices available elsewhere.

Basic
Online: FREE Federal
Download: FREE Federal & State

Deluxe
Download: $20.00 Federal & State

Premier
Online: $20.00 Federal
Download: $30.00 Federal & State

Home & Business
Online: $30.00 Federal
Download: $40.00 Federal & State

All of the online versions say "State additional", but when I click on them, "TurboTax State with Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business: Only FREE per state".

For all of the online versions, you can "Start for free, pay when satisfied" (ie, use it for free, pay when/if you file).

See http://turbotax.intuit.com/microsite/personal-taxes/ for complete descriptions of the different products (even though it will show the full prices if not logged in to State Farm).

[ETA: corrected Basic download price]

TurboTax for Business 2012, a $100+ product everywhere else, is now available at that same link for $50. It's what you need for S corp, C corp, etc. Downloaded it without incident.

psm321 said:   Could someone please post the prices of the various options (editions, state vs. no state, online vs. download)? I know it's a lot to ask, but it would really help decide whether to sign up for a State Farm account if I could compare the price of what I want (deluxe+state+e-file download) with the prices available elsewhere.

Given that you apparently can open an account for a low amount ($25), I think and then keep it open with only $1.00, the cost of having TurboTax available this way is low. For what you want, it is going to be hard to be the forgone interest on $1.00 for a few days. I have been keeping $100 with them for this for several years (recently reduced to $1.00) and getting what you want. I believe I had to pay $20 to download it, which I believe was a good price.

ProfessorEd said:   psm321 said:   Could someone please post the prices of the various options (editions, state vs. no state, online vs. download)? I know it's a lot to ask, but it would really help decide whether to sign up for a State Farm account if I could compare the price of what I want (deluxe+state+e-file download) with the prices available elsewhere.

Given that you apparently can open an account for a low amount ($25), I think and then keep it open with only $1.00, the cost of having TurboTax available this way is low. For what you want, it is going to be hard to be the forgone interest on $1.00 for a few days. I have been keeping $100 with them for this for several years (recently reduced to $1.00) and getting what you want. I believe I had to pay $20 to download it, which I believe was a good price.
Thanks. I don't care about the interest on small amounts (I'm not a rate chaser)... I was just more concerned about the hassle of opening the account. I went ahead and did it anyway and got what I need. Thanks to downhillskier for providing the info! (I had also found the price for the version I wanted in another thread so I signed up before he posted, but still a helpful reference!) This is my first year back on TurboTax since the DRM thing... got tired of the bugginess of H&R Block, hopefully this will be better.

Their website still shows a minimum balance requirement of $100 for the savings account unless you have a direct deposit. There doesn't appear to be any minimum for free checking:

The following monthly Minimum Balance Fees will be waived if the account receives adirect deposits via an Automated Clearing House (ACH) credit during the statement cycle

Consumer Accounts
Interest Checking and Money Market Accounts:
$10 fee; $500 minimum average daily balance.

Savings accounts:
$3 fee; $100 minimum average daily balance when primary account holder is age 18 or older.

Business Accounts
Business Checking Account:
$10 fee; $3,000 minimum average daily balance

Business Savings Account:
$3 fee; $100 minimum average daily balance

Business Money Market Savings:
$10 fee; $500 minimum average daily balance

downhillskier said:   
Basic
Download: Buy Download

Deluxe
Download: $20.00 Federal & State

Premier
Online: $20.00 Federal
Download: $30.00 Federal & State

Home & Business
Online: $30.00 Federal
Download: $40.00 Federal & State

I see Home & Business Online priced at $74.99 now for some reason via the State Farm link, even though all other product pricing is same as above (so I know I'm using the right link). Even the download version is still $40, but the online jumped to $74.99. Weird.

So only the TT online version is free, but download version still has to pay?

bbmak said:   So only the TT online version is free, but download version still has to pay?

The download for the Basic version is Free - bad cut/paste on my part (I'll fix my post).

I think I've downloaded the Deluxe version for free in the past, though it might have been the basic version (it has been a while).

TT Dlx download is $20 + tax thru StateFarm link.
It was $20 last year also, but was free before that.

My father, brother and I sometimes "share" our TTax disk. This has been done via a single installation on a single PC (we visit each other often enough) or by just passing the disc around when we're done with it. Can you similarly share the download version here? Or should we stop being cheap and just fork over $20/ea or use the free online option?

If you can share the download, what's to stop someone from just buying it and then posting it on some file sharing site for the general public to download and use at no charge?? Surely there is something which limits this.

Anyone know if the free checking resulted in a hard credit pull?

What a scam: state efile is another $19.99 if you bought the download version!!

I had to double check with Statefarm because I already paid $20 to download the TurboTax Deluxe, which says clearly "Federal and state included". Silly me forgot to click the fine print where it says Federal efile is free, state is included but efile will cost $19.99. Well guess I'll make a contribution to USPS after all.

The online version is still free and free for efiling both state and fed, although I prefer the safety and security of installing offline software on my own computers (I use dropbox to share the data file between them).

Yeah that's a disappointing discovery, but TurboTax has been charging extra for state e-file for a long time now, maybe since the beginning, not sure. I think most people do just print it out and mail it in. I think the product description is cleverly worded to make it seem like it includes e-file for both. It's subtle, the product name is written "Federal + e-file + State" not "Federal + State + e-file." The latter, by distributive property, could reasonably be expected to mean e-file for both, which I think is why they wrote it in the first way that could easily be misread as the second. I agree, it's deceptive. There are a hundred ways they could have avoided this kind of confusion that wouldn't make them as much money.

Well til not all is lost about free state efile: at least in my state (CA) they offer free efile with a pretty lenient income qualification: free for up to $169,730 (single) or $339,464 (married filing jointly).
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/online/calfile/qualifications.shtml

Sadly no capital gain/loss (1099-B) or Roth conversion (8606) allowed so I am still out of the woods. But may be useful for some folks who can just copy over the data from TurboTax on to CalFile and efile for free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.