• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Start Farm has posted their annual offer of free TurboTax.

Go to http://www.statefarm.com/tax/

Login to your State Farm account you would see link to free Turbo Tax online software.

Copying from last years thread:

How to fulfill "registration" provision. This is the key.

1. Log into your TurboTax account after you have gone through the State Farm link that tejalajmera posted. (If you used the TurboTax software last year, it will ask you if you want to import last years info...yes)

2. Go to the "Print & File" tab which is the last tab at the top of the 2010 return that is started.

3. Click on "print/save for your records" & enter your information. (name, address, phone #, email, etc.)
You should see the following:
Enter Your Registration Information
You don't have to pay to use TurboTax Online - Deluxe, but you must provide registration information before you can print your return.

4. Hit "submit/continue" at bottom right
You should see:
TurboTax Registration Complete.
Select Continue to File My Return and we'll walk you through the final steps.

5. You are now Registered and can now log out to complete your taxes another day or at the final hour.

***Please note that simply logging into your TurboTax account via the State Farm link does NOT register you...

They do not appear to have the forms yet, but they can start walking you through the questions.

Since they appear to lack forms now, this is not really suitable for doing last minute tax planning, such as trying to see what difference is made by certain moves you could make this year.

You must have a State Farm checking account for this offer. It pays no interest and requires $100 to set up. I have found that tying up $100 at 0% interest was worth the saving on TurboTax each year.

Member Summary

Turbotax 2012
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
What a scam: state efile is another $19.99 if you bought the download version!!

I had to double check with Statefarm bec... (more)

nanotube (Feb. 28, 2013 @ 1:23a) |

Yeah that's a disappointing discovery, but TurboTax has been charging extra for state e-file for a long time now, maybe ... (more)

dumpsterDiva (Feb. 28, 2013 @ 6:35a) |

Well til not all is lost about free state efile: at least in my state (CA) they offer free efile with a pretty lenient i... (more)

nanotube (Feb. 28, 2013 @ 2:12p) |

If you don't already have a personal checking account with State Farm, all you need is $25 to open one linky

No min. balance required, you can fund with credit card (Visa/Mastercard only) and you will need a drivers license to complete application online.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While they should take the information from previous years filings, at least for me they got my first name spelled wrong on the registration (Email confirmation they sent me).

I think the problem came from having several TurboTax accounts, and I logged into with credentials for an incorrect one that had not been used for a return. Thus be sure you get the right TurboTax account in setting this up.

Also, it is not clear whether you can get a downloadable free version this year, which is needed to go form by form.

Any idea whether state filing is still also free via State Farm?

They don't have the forms yet for my state (CA), so I'm currently not seeing any state filing price details on the Registration page.

$100 Checking account the only way? or do any credit products work?

Also will TT.com work with mint.com (unlike previous years?) I'm really looking for an integrated online/ software financial product...

MidnightLight said:   Any idea whether state filing is still also free via State Farm?

They don't have the forms yet for my state (CA), so I'm currently not seeing any state filing price details on the Registration page.

State is free in the online versions. On the page where it lists all the versions side by side, click on the "State Additional" links and the cost of the state is crossed out and replaced with FREE.

Does anyone know if this is TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, or Premium?

ablang said:   Does anyone know if this is TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, or Premium?

It is TurboTax Online Deluxe.

anyone know what the cheapest way to get TT is if you're not a State Farm customer?

hebron1427 said:   anyone know what the cheapest way to get TT is if you're not a State Farm customer?

Usually most banks have discounted prices this time of the year. If you are a BofA, Citi or Chase customer, you can try from there as well.

hebron1427 said:   anyone know what the cheapest way to get TT is if you're not a State Farm customer?Free for vanguard flagship customers

Click on "view your order summary" on the home page to confirm you are registered. I was able to register for federal, but California State is not available yet.

Won't catch me again. 2 years in a row did this. Then filed. Then had to pay full Turbo Tax retail to Intuit to get it working. Many hours trying to get refund, 1st year did, 2d didn't.

snork615 said:   Won't catch me again. 2 years in a row did this. Then filed. Then had to pay full Turbo Tax retail to Intuit to get it working. Many hours trying to get refund, 1st year did, 2d didn't.

If you follow OPs instructions for registering it now and then follow State Farm's instructions to subsequently login to TurboTax thorough their website and not directly it works great. No issues for me -- on my 5th year free without any difficulty.

vickh said:   $100 Checking account the only way? or do any credit products work?
No CC products qualify AFAIK. Checking or Savings account. Best $100 you will "spend".

hard pull?

OP, please put checking account holder in title. Many people got State Farm for insurance but very few got their checking account.

uutxs said:   vickh said:   $100 Checking account the only way? or do any credit products work?
No CC products qualify AFAIK. Checking or Savings account. Best $100 you will "spend".

This used to work if you had a State Farm credit card. Don't know if it still does, they cancelled my card for non-use.

Edit: Account opened fine in the end -- they did not like that I had chosen the "fund by credit card" option, and sent a letter that I had to open with a check. No big deal.

Heads up -- I'm a State Farm Insurance customer and was just declined for the checking account... will receive a letter in 5-7 days regarding why (have not been declined for a checking account ever that I can recall). No Chex systems issues that I'm aware of (although I'll have to check now) -- only one new account in the last 90 days (around 85 days ago maybe). Wouldn't tell me the "decline" reason over the phone either (and probably not happy to be working the day after Christmas!).

Recently moved, so that's my best guess, YMMV.

cameron2003 said:   Click on "view your order summary" on the home page to confirm you are registered. I was able to register for federal, but California State is not available yet.

The instructions above don't work for me anymore: I only get a "File" tab (no more "Print & File" tab) and it refuses to proceed since the state forms (California) are missing and there seems to be no way to get to the "Print & Save for your records" or registration step.

How did you register ?

I have the State Farm Visa and no other accounts with State Farm. I previously had insurance with them but have cancelled it all. I can still login to my credit card account and get the free TurboTax deal.

jumi said:   ablang said:   Does anyone know if this is TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, or Premium?

It's not just the TT online version. You can download the TT basic software for free through this offer also or the Deluxe (or higher version) for a discounted price.

ZenNUTS said:   OP, please put checking account holder in title. Many people got State Farm for insurance but very few got their checking account.

Not just checking account holders. As another mentioned, credit cards may qualify as well. I have only a small IRA CD with them, and been using the Deluxe version for free for the past two years (2011 and 2012).

uutxs said:   vickh said:   $100 Checking account the only way? or do any credit products work?

Just make sure you actually activate the ATM card and stuff. I opened a checking account last December for TurboTax, funded with $100 but never activated the card or transferred money and when I tried to log in yesterday I found out it was inactivated due to possible fraud and I had to talk to their security department (am I expecting any wire transfers, etc) before they would reinstate it.

Does anyone know if they provide tax filing for 1040NR? I filled in the form by myself early this year. It was really a headache. But I got my over 10% AGI back.

haoniukun said:   Does anyone know if they provide tax filing for 1040NR? I filled in the form by myself early this year. It was really a headache. But I got my over 10% AGI back.
This link says they don't.

uutxs said:   haoniukun said:   Does anyone know if they provide tax filing for 1040NR? I filled in the form by myself early this year. It was really a headache. But I got my over 10% AGI back.
This link says they don't.

Thank you.

jimbocobb said:   jumi said:   ablang said:   Does anyone know if this is TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, or Premium?

It's not just the TT online version. You can download the TT basic software for free through this offer also or the Deluxe (or higher version) for a discounted price.

Perhaps you could explain just how to do this. A downloaded version gives you access to the forms which is more convenient for many users,and gives you the assurance that you have it without worrying that you did something wrong and will have to pay full price, or that they will erase your files. (I was very late one year due to Katrina, and found that I could not access the online data I had entered earlier)

Is there a maintenance fee of $10 for balances less than $500?

It seems so:

The following monthly Minimum Balance Fees will be waived if the account receives adirect deposits via an Automated Clearing House (ACH) credit during the statement cycle

Consumer Accounts
Interest Checking and Money Market Accounts:
$10 fee; $500 minimum average daily balance.

ProfessorEd said:   jimbocobb said:   jumi said:   ablang said:   Does anyone know if this is TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, or Premium?

Perhaps you could explain just how to do this. A downloaded version gives you access to the forms which is more convenient for many users,and gives you the assurance that you have it without worrying that you did something wrong and will have to pay full price, or that they will erase your files. (I was very late one year due to Katrina, and found that I could not access the online data I had entered earlier)

When I login to statefarm.com and click on the TurboTax link, I see options for "Do your taxes over the Web" and "See TurboTax Online Products". If I click on "See TurboTax Online Products" I see an option to "Buy Download" and if you click on the "Basic Federal" it shows $29.99 with a line through it and beside it, it says FREE. If you buy it from that link, it is FREE, and you get to download it and install. I have been doing this for at least the last 3 or 4 (maybe 5) years.

incognito2 said:   Is there a maintenance fee of $10 for balances less than $500?

It seems so:

The following monthly Minimum Balance Fees will be waived if the account receives adirect deposits via an Automated Clearing House (ACH) credit during the statement cycle

Consumer Accounts

IDK; stick with savings account.

incognito2 said:   Is there a maintenance fee of $10 for balances less than $500?

It seems so:

Consumer Accounts

That's for the Interest Checking account. Just get their Free Checking account instead, which has no minimum balance or maintenance fee.

jimbocobb said:   ProfessorEd said:   jimbocobb said:   jumi said:   ablang said:   Does anyone know if this is TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, or Premium?

When I login to statefarm.com and click on the TurboTax link, I see options for "Do your taxes over the Web" and "See TurboTax Online Products". If I click on "See TurboTax Online Products" I see an option to "Buy Download" and if you click on the "Basic Federal" it shows $29.99 with a line through it and beside it, it says FREE. If you buy it from that link, it is FREE, and you get to download it and install. I have been doing this for at least the last 3 or 4 (maybe 5) years.

The above works.

If you are likely to eventually want the downloaded version, which I suggest, it is probably best to get it now. If done in the above way, it will not pick up all of the online information you had entered, as I discovered.

If you try to enter say stock data, the online version asks if you want to upgrade and appears to quote the $20 price. This may save some of the data you had earlier entered.

I am trying to do some last minute calculations while there is still time to change some totals, but it would be nice to also start on what will be the final form now. Being able to access the forms is very convenient for those that know some tax law and know what they want to do.

ananthar said:   cameron2003 said:   Click on "view your order summary" on the home page to confirm you are registered. I was able to register for federal, but California State is not available yet.

The instructions above don't work for me anymore: I only get a "File" tab (no more "Print & File" tab) and it refuses to proceed since the state forms (California) are missing and there seems to be no way to get to the "Print & Save for your records" or registration step.

How did you register ?

The CA form is there now so you should be able to do both.

hebron1427 said:   anyone know what the cheapest way to get TT is if you're not a State Farm customer?

this may be OT and need its own thread, but I found a download version of TT on Amazon for about $13 less than what's being offered on intuit's website. Still not free, but cheaper. Anyone do this before and know anything about it?

I see now that you can open a free checking account with State Farm, 25$ to open but no minimum and no monthly fee.

But will this make you eligible for free Turbo Tax?

I am in the process of opening a Savings Account, which has a minimum of $100

A revising update: account opened fine in the end -- they did not like that I had chosen the "fund by credit card" option, and sent a letter that I had to open with a check. Not a big deal, and I just gained access to TurboTax for free through statefarm.com (just needed the checking account number).

Floydian said:   

Heads up -- I'm a State Farm Insurance customer and was just declined for the checking account... will receive a letter in 5-7 days regarding why (have not been declined for a checking account ever that I can recall). No Chex systems issues that I'm aware of (although I'll have to check now) -- only one new account in the last 90 days (around 85 days ago maybe). Wouldn't tell me the "decline" reason over the phone either (and probably not happy to be working the day after Christmas!).

Recently moved, so that's my best guess, YMMV.

incognito2 said:   I see now that you can open a free checking account with State Farm, 25$ to open but no minimum and no monthly fee.

Yup, the free TurboTax offer is available for Free Checking customers. Did it myself for the past couple of years.

Was having problems after I opened my free bank account but it turns out I had to wait 30 minutes for my account to be updated to use this. Thanks OP!

PS: looks like it's only a $25 minimum for the free bank account instead of $100. Even better!

MidnightLight said:   incognito2 said:   I see now that you can open a free checking account with State Farm, 25$ to open but no minimum and no monthly fee.

Yup, the free TurboTax offer is available for Free Checking customers. Did it myself for the past couple of years.

So does this mean that for those who have $100 in the account (once the minimum to avoid fees), can now reduce it to a nominal amount and still expect to get free TurboTax each year?

Skipping 20 Messages...
Well til not all is lost about free state efile: at least in my state (CA) they offer free efile with a pretty lenient income qualification: free for up to $169,730 (single) or $339,464 (married filing jointly).
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/online/calfile/qualifications.shtml

Sadly no capital gain/loss (1099-B) or Roth conversion (8606) allowed so I am still out of the woods. But may be useful for some folks who can just copy over the data from TurboTax on to CalFile and efile for free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014