Quicken 2013 - worth the upgrade?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Quicken sent me an email about upgrading to Quicken 2013 Deluxe for 34.99. Does anyone know if it's worth upgrading from Quicken Deluxe 2010? Will I hit their planned obsolescense "feature" with my 2010 copy this year? (having trouble finding mention of that on Quicken's site)

I've read some pretty bad reviews about the 2013 version on Amazon and elsewhere, though those seem to be reviews of an early release that had lots of bugs.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I dumped Quicken a long time ago ans switched to MoneyDance, which will import all files supported by Quicken and Micros... (more)

SanDance (May. 06, 2013 @ 4:17p) |

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Only reason I upgraded was so that I could continue downloading transactions from banks, credit... (more)

floridaed (Jun. 04, 2013 @ 10:40p) |

The feature does work. You're simply having trouble getting it to work. Big difference. Quicken does have remarkably poo... (more)

bicker1 (Jun. 05, 2013 @ 3:52a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While I can't answer if it is worth the upgrade, I can attest to fact that $34.99 is probbaly more than you need to pay to do so.

If you happen to buy TurboTax you should be able to find a combo deal with Quicken. I think i normally pay ~$20 to upgrade Quicken.

In my experience, the biggest reason to upgrade has to do with the online banking features.

It seems to me that certain online features, especially the statement downloads mysteriously stop working until you upgrade.

I'm sure there are some more advanced features that they add - but the question is do you need them.

Personally I would continue to use the version that works for you until such time that you need to upgrade.
I can't see much of a difference between 2010,2011,2012 which I have upgraded to each year - with the exception that my online banking continues to work.

damastaodisasta said:   Quicken sent me an email about upgrading to Quicken 2013 Deluxe for 34.99. Does anyone know if it's worth upgrading from Quicken Deluxe 2010? Will I hit their planned obsolescense "feature" with my 2010 copy this year? (having trouble finding mention of that on Quicken's site)

I've read some pretty bad reviews about the 2013 version on Amazon and elsewhere, though those seem to be reviews of an early release that had lots of bugs.

Yeah so I was one of those early adopters. I'd say this was by far the worst release, quality wise, Intuit has ever done. I started on 2013 R2, and had duplicate transactions, deleted transactions, corrupted files, one step updates not working..... It was a nightmare. I had the QA Manager at Intuit sending me personal emails to collecting log files highlighting the issues, I can see one of the reasons being my data file is so large (dates back to 1997) perhaps - but I've never had issues like this with Quicken previously. Intuit refunded me my $ and even informed me it was OK to continue using it.

NOW - that said, they're now on R9. And it's infinitely more stable. The mobile app is reasonable, works well for banking but not great overall for example doesn't have credit cards and can't effectively handle transfers. The duplicate/deleted transactions and file corruptions are now gone. One step update works every time. The budgeting feature is nice, as are the reports.

So net: I'd give it a safe bet to upgrade. But it only took something like 3 months for me to say that.

2010 version sunsets next year for transaction downloads (Apr 30 I think). I just bought it recently at Amazon for around $15 after $35 instant discount for package with TT Deluxe (which is ok at $45). I won't install it until I have to though...

I got 2013 for the mobile app. Its not very good and I never use it. Otherwise its just like 2012.

kesco said:   Yeah so I was one of those early adopters. I'd say this was by far the worst release, quality wise, Intuit has ever done. I started on 2013 R2, and had duplicate transactions, deleted transactions, corrupted files, one step updates not working..... It was a nightmare. I had the QA Manager at Intuit sending me personal emails to collecting log files highlighting the issues, I can see one of the reasons being my data file is so large (dates back to 1997) perhaps - but I've never had issues like this with Quicken previously.
I'm another of those early adopters and experienced a lot of problems. This is definitely one of the releases to have skipped, and I really should have because I had Quicken 2011 (not 2010, which is being sunseted).

kesco said:   NOW - that said, they're now on R9.R10 now. I found a bug ("found" is rather generous - it got dumped on me) and so yet another fix had to be released. It only affected those of us who have been using Quicken Downloaded Transactions without starting a new data file since 2005.

kesco said:   And it's infinitely more stable.Too soon to tell, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with that! My Alliant Credit union download broke a few months ago and short of a clean install and starting over I can't get it to work. If I am going to do a clean install I may as well upgreade, but I hate the fact that some accounts just stop working for no reason.

BenH said:   In my experience, the biggest reason to upgrade has to do with the online banking features.

It seems to me that certain online features, especially the statement downloads mysteriously stop working until you upgrade.

I'm sure there are some more advanced features that they add - but the question is do you need them.

Personally I would continue to use the version that works for you until such time that you need to upgrade.
I can't see much of a difference between 2010,2011,2012 which I have upgraded to each year - with the exception that my online banking continues to work.

Get GnuCash. It is free.

GnuCash also has an android app.

I just upgraded to Quicken 2013 and started getting duplicate transaction downloads for two of my financial institutions. They show there's a match, and I accept the transactions, but then next time I do one-step update they download again. I spent 3 hrs on the phone with Quicken support and the conclusion was that my data file is corrupt and I can either continue using it as is or start a new Quicken file. I have been using Quicken for 15 years and am livid that their answer is that I either live with a corrupt file (and 10 years from now I'll be downloading 100s of duplicate transactions with every update) OR I abandon 15 years worth of data (not to mention saved reports, scheduled transactions, and budgets) and start all over. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there another fix?

I got duplicate transactions on one download due to a bug (since fixed). I was given the choice of losing several days of records or manually deleting the 100s of duplicate transactions. I chose the latter.

Quicken staff are apparently very well-trained to care not one bit about how readily their data files get corrupted and to care not one bit about when their failure to provided a robust product results in customer data loss. They apparently realize that there is no real alternative (despite claims to the contrary in this thread) for what they offer, and have taken the approach that cutting their costs is better than providing quality products and services.

dpronka said:   I just upgraded to Quicken 2013 and started getting duplicate transaction downloads for two of my financial institutions. They show there's a match, and I accept the transactions, but then next time I do one-step update they download again. I spent 3 hrs on the phone with Quicken support and the conclusion was that my data file is corrupt and I can either continue using it as is or start a new Quicken file. I have been using Quicken for 15 years and am livid that their answer is that I either live with a corrupt file (and 10 years from now I'll be downloading 100s of duplicate transactions with every update) OR I abandon 15 years worth of data (not to mention saved reports, scheduled transactions, and budgets) and start all over. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there another fix?

Frustrating no doubt. Quicken prompts me to back up weekly or more, you are clicking yes to make a backup right? Try going back to one of the recent backups and see if the same problem occurs. Be careful you don't over write your current file in the process.

Given the current state of the software, it's just basic prudence to backup the file after each successful user action. We've got data going back more than fifteen years, and the ^B-return operation adds a second or two, max, to closing the application.

I've had an issue with 2013 H&B and online update of multiple accounts from the same financial institution. The issue seems to be that Quicken does not recognize that similar sub account names under different parent accounts are not the same accounts. If the sub account names are similar, Quicken then determines that they are duplicate accounts even though they are under different parent accounts, and thus will not allow on line update of those accounts.
Any work around would be appreciated!

here's more background I posted on their community help site. https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/173070-one-step-download-not-wo...

I have had duplicate downloads but haven't upgraded my 2010 version yet. Interesting to hear of all the download issues as bugs when I've still got the 2010. They did have weeks of issues where they couldn't get them through banking networks to their network. Called and was told they were close and customer service got my email and notified me when they fixed it. This is when I started getting duplicates. It took my forever to get my accounts in order before running my yearend report for tax return this year.

I've had an issue with BOFA linking for the last two weeks. I was recently issued a new credit card # for their AMEX which is probably the issue.

I've never upgraded before - do I have to pay full price? Seems like a bit of a racket to me that quicken discontinues a perfectly working system to force it's users to pay more money.

What you're paying for is continued use of the transaction download service. It costs Intuit money to maintain that system year after year.

If you just want to use the software for recordkeeping, without connecting through Quicken's service to download transactions, you don't have to pay an additional penny.

bicker1 said:   What you're paying for is continued use of the transaction download service. It costs Intuit money to maintain that system year after year.

If you just want to use the software for recordkeeping, without connecting through Quicken's service to download transactions, you don't have to pay an additional penny.

While this is true Intuit also charges the banks, credit card companies, brokers per user. They could probably give away the software for free and make it up on the other side.

harvwhitman said:   I've had an issue with 2013 H&B and online update of multiple accounts from the same financial institution.

I'll bet you did.

Kdogg said:   bicker1 said:   What you're paying for is continued use of the transaction download service. It costs Intuit money to maintain that system year after year.

While this is true Intuit also charges the banks, credit card companies, brokers per user. They could probably give away the software for free and make it up on the other side.

By that logic, they could just charge consumers double.

The reality is that they're charging a fair price for the value they're offering. It probably isn't worth it if you aren't going to use the product that way, i.e., downloading transactions, and is worth it if you are.

bicker1 said:   Kdogg said:   bicker1 said:   What you're paying for is continued use of the transaction download service. It costs Intuit money to maintain that system year after year.

By that logic, they could just charge consumers double.

The reality is that they're charging a fair price for the value they're offering. It probably isn't worth it if you aren't going to use the product that way, i.e., downloading transactions, and is worth it if you are.

No if they charge double, less users will buy the product thus less money charged to the financial company for less users. At one point Intuit was charging almost $5.00 per month per user (I do not know what it is now or the bulk pricing). That was $60 per year. The software is $40 so for a three year cycle they make $220. If they give the software away they loss the $40 but each new user brings in $180. If they double the price they get $40 more but loss $260 for every user who drops it.

I'm a MS Money user who had to switch to Quicken three years ago after that was discontinued. I do not mind paying for the software because it saves me the time to do it manual. I have one account that charges me to use it (Wells) so I do that manual and it's tedious. It's on the same sun setting schedule as Money so I'm use to paying it. My problem is that the new software is very buggy. I would have preferred to pay to continue to use my Quicken 2010.

Its been ~6 months since release and their already on update 12. I think this is more than any of their previous releases.

Kdogg said:   No if they charge double, less users will buy the product thus less money charged to the financial company for less users.Oh brother: If they charged less, they'd make less money.

The point you seem to have missed is that there is no basis for asserting that they should be giving the software away for free.

Get a grip.

I dumped Quicken a long time ago ans switched to MoneyDance, which will import all files supported by Quicken and Microsoft Office

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Only reason I upgraded was so that I could continue downloading transactions from banks, credit cards and investments. Can't do it. The feature will not work. Hundreds and I have reported it and Intuit ignores the complaints. What we need to do is find an alternative to Quicken (and to Turbo Tax)

The feature does work. You're simply having trouble getting it to work. Big difference. Quicken does have remarkably poor customer service, so it is understandable how you could get into a predicament like that and no be able to get out. We do need an alternative, if for no reason other than to give Intuit a reason to do a decent job. However, at this point, as bad as it is, Quicken is the best of the bunch.

Interestingly, I've never had, nor heard of, any significant problems with TurboTax. Sure there are the normal issues each year that you see with all tax software, but they generally get resolved no problem. Seems like Quicken and TurboTax are completely different animals. (And it makes sense: TurboTax does have significant competitors.)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.