• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I'll start it off (I'm sure people can beat this handily).

Man, I was churning Paypal when it had no fees for a grand a month on my Schwab 2% and NextCard. That's right, NextCard beotches.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This reminds me of the folks changing $20 bills in the post office stamp machines to try and find an error dollar coin w... (more)

makinbutter (Feb. 04, 2013 @ 4:17p) |

Anyone found the hack for glu coins on big time gangsta

miozap (Feb. 27, 2013 @ 3:03p) |

Anyone remember the Chase BT checks that earned miles? Those were nice for a while.

TravelerMSY (Feb. 27, 2013 @ 5:09p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Charter One

mattun said:   I'll start it off (I'm sure people can beat this handily).

Man, I was churning Paypal when it had no fees for a grand a month on my Schwab 2% and NextCard. That's right, NextCard beotches.

you are also posting in the heavy hitter thread, why do we need a separate one - isn't this just another version of that in gansta' style.

Agreed, just post in the HH thread.

what is OG?

AOR's from 2006

imbatman said:   what is OG?

original gangster

imbatman said:   what is OG?

O.G. Original Gangster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.G._Original_Gangster
O.G. Original Gangster is the fourth album by Ice-T. Released in 1991, the album has been praised by many as the artist's best. The album introduces the band ...

Only for you imbatman. Others would have recd. "google"

Thanks. I'm on vacation and lazy.
Already got "red" from the wife for getting on FW.

Us FWFers are all alike. Too good.

imbatman said:   Thanks. I'm on vacation and lazy.
Already got "red" from the wife for getting on FW.

That made me laugh out loud literally.

what is duplicate gangster?

Was using Citibank's C2it service -- defunct since ** 2003!! ** to move PayPal money around and pick up the 1.5 (2?) % on the transaction...

who can beat that?

im gunna go to albertsons and get $100 in giftcards and get a $20 grocery coupon, with which i will buy some fried chicken. how og is that? fried chickennnn!!

Gangsta ~ Gangnam. I think this is close enough - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQKCLvtLN0.

Sorry, couldn't resist

boden11 said:   Was using Citibank's C2it service -- defunct since ** 2003!! ** to move PayPal money around and pick up the 1.5 (2?) % on the transaction...

who can beat that?

I remember those guys. What was it - $1k or $1500/day, and only at 1% for me then. Of course with inflation/decline of the dollar, I guess 1% then is about 1.5% now :/.

mattun said:   I'll start it off (I'm sure people can beat this handily).

You want OG?

I was sending PayPal money to my Xcom bank account, and the PayPal security dude threatened to come to my house with federal agents .

That was in 1999-2000, before Xcom (Elon Musk) bought PayPal

tajar96 said:   mattun said:   I'll start it off (I'm sure people can beat this handily).

you are also posting in the heavy hitter thread, why do we need a separate one - isn't this just another version of that in gansta' style.

Not even close, this is about old tactics and not even Heavy Hitter tactics. For whatever reason I fondly remembered my NextCard last night which made me think of starting this.

This thread gets a green for Entertainment Value....beeetchezzzzz

So, this is like Pre-Heavy Hitters thread. Wouldn't that be Heavy Hitters 2011 or 2010 threads then.

Speaking of "fondly remembering" - where is the AARP card or envaulted perhaps. Sigh.

didYOUsearch...wow!

and to top it off, SIS did not even mention that was his old userID :p

tajar96 said:   So, this is like Pre-Heavy Hitters thread. Wouldn't that be Heavy Hitters 2011 or 2010 threads then.

Speaking of "fondly remembering" - where is the AARP card or envaulted perhaps. Sigh.

You're missing the whole OG not necessarily Heavy Hitter thing, right? 90's, 80's, 70's?

You want to go back to the 80s?

Bofa had a rewards program where cash advances would earn points. For the top valued items (a trip to London and an Apple IIc system, you could pay the cash advance fees and still come out way ahead

I was a teenager. I convinced my mom to cash advance her card every day till we got enough points to get that Apple system . Cost about $180 in fees but was worth far more. I used that computer throughout college and law school.

Then I met another longtime fwf vet who did this same promo/ but he got the top prize of the London trip

Stop, Hammer Time
Disclaimer
AOL had a credit card that earned points toward free AOL service. It also had free balance transfers that posted and earned points as purchases.

That's right, I didn't pay a penny to talk to your momma in the AOL chat rooms at 56k plus got an extra month of float. Suck on THAT!!!!

80s? Okay I kind of vaguely remember this since I was still a teen (13?). Well, BMG sold music CDs in catalogs where they often advertise 8 CDs for the price of 1 or like 12 CDs for a penny and pay shipping/handling, etc. Any ways, the CDs would always come with a referral card and I think you get a free CD for each person you refer (sell out) but you just have to pay shipping charges on it which was around $2 a disc. Well, CDs at the time were easily $12-$15 each so I referred myself repeatedly so I can get more referral cards and pretty much got all the music I wanted in my teen years for $2-ish/disc. Sadly, I still have most of those discs today. I think it eventually evolved into DVD movies and I did it for the movies too.

AMC Theatres had the MovieWatcher cards. You get a voucher for popcorn or a drink or a popcorn + drink whenever you reach certain points. At the larger milestones (50 points or 100 points) you get a movie night package which consist of a voucher for a ticket, popcorn, and drink. Found out that in the 90s that their system did an network-update at the end of the day so I could double dip by going to multiple theaters before the end of the day if purchasing a ticket that would push me over the milestone. There are several AMC theaters less than 10 miles from home and got multiple sets of movie night packages on each milestone. The best part is that I get points from all the locations visited following the daily update so I'm several tickets ahead (instead of one) towards the next milestone.

I've still got my movie watcher card

Not terribly old, but kinda gangsta... Remember citi credit protector signups with the $100 gas rebate? You could turn in any gas receipts for the $100, not just your own. Rinse and repeat for awhile before they shut it down. I made $1200 fishing other people's gas receipts out of the trash at the gas station...

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   You want to go back to the 80s?

Bofa had a rewards program where cash advances would earn points. For the top valued items (a trip to London and an Apple IIc system, you could pay the cash advance fees and still come out way ahead

I was a teenager. I convinced my mom to cash advance her card every day till we got enough points to get that Apple system . Cost about $180 in fees but was worth far more. I used that computer throughout college and law school.

Then I met another longtime fwf vet who did this same promo/ but he got the top prize of the London trip

Then came the 90s trru early 00s and BofA issued AAA card with 3% awards on tc purchases. Awards were paid out by regular bank checks payable to AAA. They were supposed to be redeemed for luggage and other accessories but participants found it more convenient to deposit checks directly to their bank accounts. Downside was 5 trips a week to AAA store to buy tcs ... For years on.

x.com Titanium Debit Visa
Disclaimer
SUCKISSTAPLES said: I was sending PayPal money to my Xcom bank account, and the PayPal security dude threatened to come to my house with federal agents .

That was in 1999-2000, before Xcom (Elon Musk) bought PayPal
I still got my X.Com Debit Visa. I never got any visits from federal agents though, haha.

1984, I rode my bike between various McDonalds and got the free Olympic scratch cards. Then the Soviet block dropped out. Freaking gold mine. The US seemingly scored a medal in 99.9% of the cards, often multiple times. My uncle would "volunteer" to pick up lunch for his coworkers and use the winning cards to pay. We split the profits.

points.com in early 90s got you points by clicking websites. Found out I could just change the web address by one number. I got greedy and killed it right before I got a free trip. Of course they probably figured it out when I went from a stick of gum in rewards to a plane ticket in a week. I am sure I was the only one that even got close to getting the big reward.

Other time was when you could put a tool bar that put ads on your web browser and they paid you to surf. But it was also a pyramid scheme. This was early 90s. We had computers on campus running all the time. Got like 15 dollars before they folded.

Still as before with SIS and a few of us others it started in elementary school reselling goods. LOL

umcsom said:   points.com in early 90s got you points by clicking websites. Found out I could just change the web address by one number. I got greedy and killed it right before I got a free trip. Of course they probably figured it out when I went from a stick of gum in rewards to a plane ticket in a week. I am sure I was the only one that even got close to getting the big reward.

Other time was when you could put a tool bar that put ads on your web browser and they paid you to surf. But it was also a pyramid scheme. This was early 90s. We had computers on campus running all the time. Got like 15 dollars before they folded.

Still as before with SIS and a few of us others it started in elementary school reselling goods. LOL

AllAdvantage FTW!!!!!!!

My first check from all advantage was $75.
It was also my only check.

Radio contest c. 1976-1978, when I was in 9th and 10th grade. The radio station would have a bill - a $10 bill on the overnight show and a $20, $50 or $100 during the day. Callers guessed the serial number digit by digit. Whoever got the last digit - i.e., the full serial number - won the bill. They gave hints and took the first four callers every hour. I used two phone lines and on the overnight show usually got in all four calls. Won $10 night after night and occasionally won daytime, but pesky school too often got in the way. Because of me they instituted a you can win only once every 7 days at night and 30 days for daytime rule, so I enlisted friends to use their names and split the proceeds. A 14 year old serial winner evidently wasn't the target demographic, so they killed it and went to a sweepstakes-type contest. Probably didn't hit $1,000, but close to it.

Got over $2,000 from pay to surf banners from All Advantage and about a billion others -- cashfiesta, spedia.net, cybergold, etc ad nauseum. At one point I think like 1/2 my screen was banners with a special mouse automation program that would just randomly move the mouse and rotate about 30 webpages out. Thanks for the ad money! Too bad they don't pay you to watch TV with all the crap on it now adays...thank god for bittorrent...

I got thousands and thousands of dollars in "stuff" from Cyberrebate. It made for an AMAZING Christmas one year where I bought an amazing amount of stuff and gave presents to just about everyone I knew

When they went BK, there was still about $3000 owed to me in rebates. I was able to do a successful chargeback to recover all funds and of course I got to keep all the stuff. Felt sorry for the people who dealt with ridiculous card companies that were insisting things be returned.

I was on their site shopping the day it went down for good. At one point I refreshed and got that message that it was down for maintenance or something. I was sooooo close to buying a Palm V for some outrageous amount like $1000+ or so to get a 100% rebate back on it. I never got that Palm V

Hahahah cyberrebate. What a scam. PS2 for $20000? ok! Pfft.

Skipping 153 Messages...
Anyone remember the Chase BT checks that earned miles? Those were nice for a while.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014