• Go to page :
  • 12 3 4
  • Text Only
Why would you need to heat hot water?
To keep it from cooling down?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   If the work is done and you haven't paid just tell them to pound sand. Your only agreement was $827 and they need to prove otherwise

The tenant signature doesn't matter


Thanks for the advice. I said show me the quote last week. They couldn't find any quotes or phone recordings or papers I signed.

dyam45 said:   Sis is right. I'd verbally offer a take $1027 or pound. If they take it, put it in writing and to write on the check in the memo too "to settle all debt for services rendered. " Then Id go talk to The Home Depot manager about your experience and tell them to drop the plumber for someone honest.

Great advice! I got Home Depot involved and stopped talking to the plumber. He hasn't texted me in weeks and HD has been great working with me.

Glitch99 said:   DellFanBoy said:   I feel like I should only have to pay $1027.
If this is going to become a battle of feelings, you will lose. But if you are going to focus on the facts, listen to SIS.


Note to self - have no feelings. I took my feelings out of it and followed the advice given.

BadMFwallet said:   Ouch, two weeks ago I put in a 60 gallon that I got from them. They quoted $300 over the phone for a basic install and I knew the vent pipe had to be changed out to 4" and the connector for the chimney had to be changed, besides rerouting the gas and water, Im glad I did'nt let them come near it.

The install went well but the actually cost is what is killing me. Next time I'll do more shopping around.

MaxRC said:   DellFanBoy said:   
My 2 options I think are:

1) Have the heater removed and reinstall my old 1.
2) Go to small claims court. Will I need a lawyer?
LOL, yea, tell them come and get the heater out and put your old one back in. In the mean time, shop for a cheaper install. But I doubt they are going to go with option 1.


They pretty much never even discussed option 1 with me. LOL

LordB said:   dyam45 said:   Sis is right. I'd verbally offer a take $1027 or pound. If they take it, put it in writing and to write on the check in the memo too "to settle all debt for services rendered. " Then Id go talk to The Home Depot manager about your experience and tell them to drop the plumber for someone honest.

Wording on the check memo line has no legal standing.

OP be careful of armchair lawyers here (myself included). They can get you in alot of trouble with incorrect advice. Personally I would go into Home Depot and tell them they need to take care of this. Home Depot has alot more to lose and they can pressure the contractor since they are the ones who give them work etc.

Personally I would pressure Home Depot to honor the original price of the $827 and only give up the higher amount if you really feel you need to after negotiation, but YMMV.


Thanks for the sound advice. I told HD to honor the original price. See my final thread for how it ended....

DealCrzy said:   Why would you need to heat hot water?

LOL that was a good one! I've always called it that!

BenH said:   others have pretty much said it - but focus on th facts:

- Is there a quote signed by you agreeing to the higher amount? If not - you didn't agree to it.

- Tenant should not have authority to authorize work, so doesn't matter what they agreed to/signed (check your local laws on this).

- Offer to pay them the lower amount. If they accept, get it in writing that the amount is for all services/parts rendered and have them sign it. It may not stand on the check, but a separately signed document is valid.

You may want to escalate this to Home Depot corporate as well via a written letter CC'd to the BBB and the State Attorney General.


Thanks for the sound advice Ben! I've gone with the HD route. Thanks again. Green for you!

unnamedone said:   You probably want to tell your tenant not to sign stuffs like this next time.

And what did they do for $1027/$1500?


I've didn't even know the tenant signed the work. I'm out of state otherwise I would have signed up for the job.

henry33 said:   What state are you in? I think in general, if the amount is over $500, you need a written contract. As you didn't sign anything but only verbally agreed to the lesser amount, mention that and see what happens.

Also in general, I usually pay a licensed plumber anywhere from $100-$200 to install a water heater depending on what it needs, typically it's a little more if it needs a new vacuum breaker, need furnace cement for the vent pipe, new shut off valves etc. My handyman tells me he's even put them in for about $50, he just uses shark bite fittings for the hot and cold water so there's no soldering of pipes.

You can probably find some cheap ones on craigslist, just ask for their license number and check with the state to see if their license is still active.

In the future, you can try changing the anode rod, there's an old thread about it here somewhere. They're about $12 and if you change them on a regular basis (every 3-5 years) it'd have been much cheaper than $1027.

As for small claims, if you haven't paid them, let them take you to small claims and have them provide the contract. Tell them that it's not your signature and you never agreed to that amount.


Henry Ewing! Thanks for the advice. I pretty much said I'm ready to go to small claims court.

king0fSpades said:   If you are in rental prop business, have a pool of plumbers ready. That will save you a lot of money. I had brand new heaters installed for around $550(heater and labor).

Spade king! You are correct. I've learned my lessons and started researching plumbers even before I need them. I'm about saving money in 2013. No more HD installs for me. LOL Green for you. No talking across the table.

LAwoodtiger said:   Sometimes, the responses from a child corresponds with logic (and hopefully legality):

You're saying that I owe $1500? Prove it.


LA Tiger! Soooooo simple. But sooooo useful. I pretty much said show me the calls, quotes, etc. They had nothing. It was like out a movie. GREEN FOR YOU!

BEEFjerKAY said:   dyam45 said:   If they take it, put it in writing and to write on the check in the memo too "to settle all debt for services rendered. "

Didn't that go out of fashion with 78 rpm records?

You could write "to acknowledge payer as rightful heir to the Hapsburg Empire" and have much the same effect.


Not sure what 78 RPM means but thanks Beef for your help!

Grobe said:   If the plumbing company says they cannot install it because of the size of the tank why didn't you simply get another tank which would fit?

Grobe - Green Grobeeeeee - Thanks for your help. The tank was a 30 Gallon short. I got a taller tank hence why it didn't fit.

qcumber98 said:   BEEFjerKAY said:   dyam45 said:   If they take it, put it in writing and to write on the check in the memo too "to settle all debt for services rendered. "

Didn't that go out of fashion with 78 rpm records?

You could write "to acknowledge payer as rightful heir to the Hapsburg Empire" and have much the same effect.


I think it was on the tv show, "The People's Court". /shrugs/


I love that show. Thanks Qcumber!

joey791 said:   Here is Home Depot's info on their website

Water Heater Installation and Repair

Installation Process Facts

12/1 - Called Home Depot (Contracted to a local plumbing company) and got a quote for same day installation of $827 (communicated via phone from sales rep).

From the installation process facts

Q: Can I get a price without an in-home consultation?
A: Our authorized service provider will provide a quote over the phone and approximate the total cost of the job. However, the provider will conduct an on-site inspection to ensure the installation meets local code. Additional charges may apply. Final charges will be reviewed with you and no work will begin until your approval is given.

12/7 - The local plumbing company comes to do the installation and cannot do it due to the size of the tank. The new estimate was an additional $200 for permits and minor work. New total is $1027. (All communicated from the plumber)

See above(they are still doing what they say on their site and following it to a t).

Also about the permits under the in home consultation facts

Q: What is a permit and why do I need it?
A: Permits are governed by local cities and municipalities and required to ensure that a local plumbing inspector is dispatched to the site as a third party to review the workmanship of the installer. This is meant to ensure that the install has been executed safely and in line with local city and state plumbing codes and ensures that the quality of workmanship by our licensed professional installers meets plumbing standards.


Q: Do water heaters require permits?
A: Permits are required on most water heater installs and pricing varies by state, city and municipality. Our installation professionals can review the permit process and pricing with you and answer any questions you have.


12/14 - I call the plumber back to "Okay" the work and ask him to send the final quote. No response on quote but responds about other things.

With the last communication, yes I like things on paper also but your final quote from the plumber stands at 1027 and you okay this amount. You post no response on quote but responds about other things-was he doing more work for you? What was he responding too, did he look at anything else, how much time was involved? This is a big piece of the puzzle that could make up the difference.

12/20 - Plumber does the work and calls me to sign off on the job for $1500! I explained thats not what I was told and we go back and forth for an hour. Apparently the tentant signed the contract.

You gave a verbal ok, but the tenant signed the paperwork, sounds like the tenant owes you the difference of what you were quoted.


Really you have no options, no matter if they were the responsible party or not the tenant signed the bill, at any point did you tell the plumbing company to not deal with the tenant only you with the paperwork?

Not trying to be the devil's advocate but I work in the HVAC industry and see people trying to get out of bills for ridiculous stuff all the time, also this is a good lesson on never use a brick and mortar store for anything but go to a trusted contractor.



Joey - Thanks for sticking to the facts. Your post grounded me. Green!

CptSavAHo said:   First, what is the deal around here with landlords having significant work done to their properties and not being present to inspect/delegate/etc the work? At the very least the tenant should have known to inform you when they arrived to do the work.

Second, you're lucky. The tenant isn't authorized to sign for the work and they should have confirmed it before accepting the signature. $1500 is nuts for a hot water heater install, as owner occupant I did a like-for-like replacement that required no permit for a GE 50k btu 40gal heater and it was $480 installed myself.


I was out of state and had no choice. I know I should sell the property or something but it makes a profit monthly and I like the extra income. The $1500 is nuts. I agree but I'm willing to pay the $1000 since I'm out of state and have no other choice. See how the thread ends....thanks again Captain!

OliverQuackenbush said:   LordB said:   dyam45 said:   Sis is right. I'd verbally offer a take $1027 or pound. If they take it, put it in writing and to write on the check in the memo too "to settle all debt for services rendered. " Then Id go talk to The Home Depot manager about your experience and tell them to drop the plumber for someone honest.

Wording on the check memo line has no legal standing.

OP be careful of armchair lawyers here (myself included). They can get you in alot of trouble with incorrect advice. Personally I would go into Home Depot and tell them they need to take care of this. Home Depot has alot more to lose and they can pressure the contractor since they are the ones who give them work etc.

Personally I would pressure Home Depot to honor the original price of the $827 and only give up the higher amount if you really feel you need to after negotiation, but YMMV.


Dear op: only a fool fails to request a written estimate for work to be performed. Since you are clearly not a fool, I will assume you requested a written estimate for the work to be performed. Correct me if I am wrong about that. Anyway, consumer protection laws vary from state to state. In my state, if you requested a written estimate, then you are responsible for paying no more than 110% of the written estimate. You should check the laws in your state.

LordB is right, you should be wary of advice given by armchair lawyers including LordB himself, since his advice is erroneous. In certain circumstances, "payment in full" text on the memo line is an offer of settlement and cashing the check constitutes acceptance of the offer to settle. It is enforceable when the party making the offer of settlement has a reasonable basis to claim the amount tendered constitutes full performance on his/her part. In the circumstances op sets forth, it sounds like op has a reasonable basis to claim he owes much less than he was billed for.

Again, check the state consumer protection laws in your jurisdiction regarding written estimates.

A lawyer is always recommended unless the fee you pay the lawyer is more than the lawyer will help you save. However, in this case, you might be pleasantly surprised to find that consumer protection laws in your state might allow you to obtain an award of attorneys fees from the wrongdoer if you win your case. If this is the case and you decide to retain an attorney, make sure the retainer agreement provides that you owe nothing, win or lose. Thus, the only attorney who will take your case is one who is confident he/she will win, since he/she must recover fees from the wrongdoer or work for free. There are many many unemployed people in every profession, including attorneys, so it shouldn't be to hard to find an attorney willing to work for free just so he/she can build a client base or make a name for themselves.
Even if my advice is all wrong, you are out only $700, a drop in the bucket for wealthy gentlemen like ourselves.


Olie- Thanks for the advice.

Mickie3 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   If the work is done and you haven't paid just tell them to pound sand. Your only agreement was $827 and they need to prove otherwise

The tenant signature doesn't matter


Unless you specifically authorized the tenant to act as your agent, their signature is no better than that of a drunk at the corner bar.

Ask HD politely to please furnish the contractor 4 - 40 lb bags of sand so they may start immediately to pound it.


Mickster - Thanks for the advice. Never heard of pound the sound reference before this but it actually worked. So simple. thanks for the advice mate.

cocaine said:   DealCrzy said:   Why would you need to heat hot water?

FTW! For those who don't know what a "hot water heater" is... it is installed just next to the regular water heater and is used to heat hot water.

To be serious though... I just had my water heater replaced... the first thing the plumber asked... "do you own the house?" I don't THINK you have to worry about what your tenant signed.

I would concur with the angle of keep trying to pressure Home Depot.


Coke - Thanks for the advice and joke. Sound advice. Green for you my friend.

StevenColorado said:   The plumber knew about all permits when the quote was made. He decided to see if he could screw you for an extra $200. You told him he could have it. Then he got greedy and went for more.

Go in person to HD and speak to the manager. Tell him you agreed to $827 and don't intend to pay a penny more, and ask what their process is to get subcontractors. They'll honor the original quote and chew the sub.



Steve - You are 100% right. I felt like since I was out of state he was taking me for a ride. I mean from $827 to $1020 to $1500. It was like WTF is going on here. Green for you. I went back to HD.

StartByServingOthers said:   After pulling that on me I would refuse to pay more than $827. They raised the price on you once and you went a long with it. Then they tried to screw you.

If they want paid they'll take $827. If not, keep dealing with Home Depot


Start - You are going to love the ending. Thanks mate green!

acroBios said:   This is how they operate. A few relatives have had water heaters installed though Home Depot, Lowes etc.. over the last couple years. In each case, there is a reasonable quote at the store or over the phone and then the installer comes out and it doubles because of code changes or other issues that IMHO do not warrant the increase and should be predictable in the first place given the average life of a water heater.

DellFanBoy said:   Hello FWers,

I currently had a hot water heater installed on 12/20. Below is the timeline to this mess.

12/1 - Called Home Depot (Contracted to a local plumbing company) and got a quote for same day installation of $827 (communicated via phone from sales rep) .
12/7 - The local plumbing company comes to do the installation and cannot do it due to the size of the tank. The new estimate was an additional $200 for permits and minor work. New total is $1027. (All communicated from the plumber)
12/14 - I call the plumber back to "Okay" the work and ask him to send the final quote. No response on quote but responds about other things.
12/20 - Plumber does the work and calls me to sign off on the job for $1500! I explained thats not what I was told and we go back and forth for an hour. Apparently the tentant signed the contract.
12/21 - I get a call from the sales department and they tell me that I owe $1500. I explained I didn't agree to that and I called Home Depot back to have them become the middle man.
12/27 - The plumbing company now sends Home Depot and me an email with a quote from 12/7 for $1500. I never saw this quote in my life. This is actually the first time I've ever seen a quote from these people.

So now I owe $1500 for a $300 40 gallon water heater. I feel like I should only have to pay $1027. I have text message record of me asking for the final price and no reply. What options do I have? I haven't signed anything nor have I've given any payment. I'm totally willing to pay but I want to pay the amount I thought I was going to pay.

My 2 options I think are:

1) Have the heater removed and reinstall my old 1.
2) Go to small claims court. Will I need a lawyer?


Bios - Thanks for the advice!

wcjrjr said:   Mr DELLFANBOY.

When I read water heater in the tag line I jumped right on it.
I am a retired installer that worked for many years for H/Depot, Sears, Lowes, Montgomery Ward and Did Rheem Water heater service calls. I have installed all kinds of water heaters, probably around 4000.
For the record HD contracts out the water heaters. I was a subcontrator to the subcontractor. I was personally licensed, insured, and had the PA license at the end.
I will make some statements but some may not be 100% right because I do not know where you are located, what size of tank you ordered, what size was installed, and was it gas or electric. Gas issues were always more money than electric.
For any install I contacted the buyer directly to set up the install. I qualified the existing tank, gallons, size in height and other conditions. All I got for taking the wrong tank out and not installing it
was $35.. That did not cover anything, I lost money. There were times when even after all the pre arrival question, the tank was wrong.
Some places do require permits, a nice money grab. If a permit was needed I filled it out, got a customers check made out to the thieves and gave them a copy of the form. When I arrived at the job the only thing I took into the house was myself. I looked the site over very closely. Any extras were discussed with the person there. If there was an additional fee, for extra work beyond a permit fee a quote was given, written up and THE CHECK, PAYMENT requested. If they said they were only a tenant told them to call the landlord. I would call the store tell them the situation and the store dealt with the tenant, owner or whatever. I did not start the job until the store gave approval. I also did not hang around too long waiting for the store to get absent landlord approval. They paid nothing for hang around time. Many of my problems were with getting the old tank out. You cant take a 30 gallon tank up too many steps filled. It weighs over 300 pounds. Plus two people and a hand truck, well you get the drift.
As far as the extra charges I can not answer except to say that if this was a power venter model, where the chimney is pvc pipe that exits out the side of the building then there were always issues. You can request the contractors name and license information from the store, they have to give it to you.
I was also a landlord for over 35 years with multiple units so I know about tenants. I personally would do the following--get all your ducks in a row, call the store manager where the job started from. Get the final bill in writing, email is legal. I do not like texts. If you cant get it done there at the store, go to CORP. You can go to small claims, Judge Judy style, but that is a little bit more complicated. I will not go into that here.

A lot of people, and clowns replied to your post, but in the end it is up to you to resolve your problem.
I hope this helps you resolve your issue. Just for a note, of all the places I did tanks for Lowes was the absolute best. Sears sucked, and M/Ward is gone!!!!!


WC JR. Thanks sooooo much! This helped my perspective.

uutxs said:   DellFanBoy said:   12/20 - Plumber does the work and calls me to sign off on the job for $1500! I explained thats not what I was told and we go back and forth for an hour. Apparently the tentant signed the contract.
What exactly did the tenant sign. Did tenant actually approve the contract or did they sign a piece of paper saying something to the effect that the work was completed (typically done at the end of the job).


U Texas - Not sure what he signed. Never saw the paper.

joey791 said:   wcjrjr said:   Mr DELLFANBOY.

When I read water heater in the tag line I jumped right on it.
I am a retired installer that worked for many years for H/Depot, Sears, Lowes, Montgomery Ward and Did Rheem Water heater service calls. I have installed all kinds of water heaters, probably around 4000.
For the record HD contracts out the water heaters. I was a subcontrator to the subcontractor. I was personally licensed, insured, and had the PA license at the end.
I will make some statements but some may not be 100% right because I do not know where you are located, what size of tank you ordered, what size was installed, and was it gas or electric. Gas issues were always more money than electric.
For any install I contacted the buyer directly to set up the install. I qualified the existing tank, gallons, size in height and other conditions. All I got for taking the wrong tank out and not installing it
was $35.. That did not cover anything, I lost money. There were times when even after all the pre arrival question, the tank was wrong.
Some places do require permits, a nice money grab. If a permit was needed I filled it out, got a customers check made out to the thieves and gave them a copy of the form. When I arrived at the job the only thing I took into the house was myself. I looked the site over very closely. Any extras were discussed with the person there. If there was an additional fee, for extra work beyond a permit fee a quote was given, written up and THE CHECK, PAYMENT requested. If they said they were only a tenant told them to call the landlord. I would call the store tell them the situation and the store dealt with the tenant, owner or whatever. I did not start the job until the store gave approval. I also did not hang around too long waiting for the store to get absent landlord approval. They paid nothing for hang around time. Many of my problems were with getting the old tank out. You cant take a 30 gallon tank up too many steps filled. It weighs over 300 pounds. Plus two people and a hand truck, well you get the drift.
As far as the extra charges I can not answer except to say that if this was a power venter model, where the chimney is pvc pipe that exits out the side of the building then there were always issues. You can request the contractors name and license information from the store, they have to give it to you.
I was also a landlord for over 35 years with multiple units so I know about tenants. I personally would do the following--get all your ducks in a row, call the store manager where the job started from. Get the final bill in writing, email is legal. I do not like texts. If you cant get it done there at the store, go to CORP. You can go to small claims, Judge Judy style, but that is a little bit more complicated. I will not go into that here.

A lot of people, and clowns replied to your post, but in the end it is up to you to resolve your problem.
I hope this helps you resolve your issue. Just for a note, of all the places I did tanks for Lowes was the absolute best. Sears sucked, and M/Ward is gone!!!!!


Chain store work sucks-We actually would do the stores themselves, every call we had an 8 page form that we had to fill out and if one spot was not filled out or filled out incorrectly they would dispute the charges and not want to pay. You were then required to get a store managers signature on all 8 pages before you left(non carbon) and they loved to call us before quitting time and then try to hide out to keep from signing the invoice and paying the bill. I actually made 2 hours overtime on a 1 hour call one time waiting in front of the managers office to get my paperwork signed because I couldn't get him to answer the intercom in the store.


Seriously! thanks!

ScrawneyWallet said:   $1500 for a water heater!? Do any of the following words appear on the cover of the owner's manual: gold-plated, tactical, tungsten, graphite, HDMI, Rolls-Royce...?

LOL! It was suppose to be much less than that. I know I know....

dyam45 said:   LordB said:   dyam45 said:   Sis is right. I'd verbally offer a take $1027 or pound. If they take it, put it in writing and to write on the check in the memo too "to settle all debt for services rendered. " Then Id go talk to The Home Depot manager about your experience and tell them to drop the plumber for someone honest.

Wording on the check memo line has no legal standing.


You are correct. Just more to show so in court if it ends up there. You have the unprovable verbal contract that only you can defend. You need a statement to end it at $1027 as my post stated. The words written in plain english on the check indicating the debt is clear to both parties and that you wrote the check for that intent and for no other purpose. The OP will need more than a unsupportable verbal quote to fight future claims and or collections and right now the OP has little. The plumbing people have all the cards and can send him to collections after they get his $1027 just for spite if they feel the desire to.


Dayum - Thanks for the advice!

amhidogha said:   DealCrzy said:   Why would you need to heat hot water?
Good catch! Maybe because it wasn't hot enough.


too funny. Thanks again mate. Green.

dcg9381 said:   DellFanBoy said:   
1) Have the heater removed and reinstall my old 1.
2) Go to small claims court. Will I need a lawyer?


1) This incurs more cost.
2) If you get sued, you should go to court. It'll be small claims. As long as you have documentation, I wouldn't hire an attorney.

The bigger risk that I see is that the contractor liens your home. You can then do nothing and wait for the lien to expire or you can sue to have it removed.

Personally, I'd send a registered letter with a check in it for the agreed amount - along with a copy of the estimate and the verbal increase. The plumber can take it or leave it. The registered payment certainly demonstrates good faith.

$1k for a water heater install is ridiculous... Assuming it's not in a complicated location. If additional work was required to bring the install to code, I'd understand.. but a replacement? Sheesh.


DCG - Thanks for the advice. Calmed my nerves about court. Seriously - Thank you.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Unless the tenant was paying for the repair, the fact they signed something is meaningless

The plumber could have your neighbor sign the invoice , doesn't make it enforceable against you


Staples - Best arm chair lawyer of the year. Seriously. Thanks for the advice. This was a non issue as you mentioned.

chrislk1986 said:   Might be worth investing in some classes to enable you to do your own plumbing/electrical work. Depending on which state you live in and the work you plan on doing, you won't be paying the extra 200-400% for the labor and permit costs. At the very least, maybe you have a skilled friend who walks "you" through the process and maybe said friend finds a case of beer in his trunk or $50 in his glove box.

I'm out of state

chrislk1986 said:   cristinaaaron said:   Not going to address the contractual aspects here....they've been addressed. Going to deal with the advice in this thread to buy the heater and do a self-install, take a couple classes and do it, or to find a "skilled friend" to do this. That is very dangerous advice.....these heaters are basically a pressure vessel that if improperly installed can and will destroy your home.....best case would be a water leak.....worst case would be a gas leak or if something messed up the thermostat and relief which would literally blow your house apart to the studs or improper venting which would result in carbon monoxide issues. A lot of handymen and weekend warriors have installed these....many times improperly. You're rolling the dice.

You're also assuming this is a gas water heater. And don't you ever watch mythbusters? You have to really try hard to cause the pressure relief system to fail. What if it is a gas unit? Well, after you properly install it, you're gonna want to make sure there are no leaks by using some soapy water and applying it to the connection to see if there are any leaks. As far as venting goes, not much harder then putting a vent on your dryer.

It really isn't as complicated/dangerous as people like you make it out to be, but it's good to have a skilled/knowledgeable person around to do the work for a fraction of the price. You might even learn to DIY.

So yes. Let's be reliant upon other people because we are scared. When in reality most people can go out, take a class and learn the basics of a trade and become partially self sufficient. Think about it. If you own rental properties, it is really a good idea to be able to fix things yourself, especially if you are concerned about an extra $450+ charge for installed water heater.

YouTube Link for Gas Water Heater install, looks easier than I had ever imagined.


It was an electric.

DellFanBoy said:   BEEFjerKAY said:   dyam45 said:   If they take it, put it in writing and to write on the check in the memo too "to settle all debt for services rendered. "

Didn't that go out of fashion with 78 rpm records?

You could write "to acknowledge payer as rightful heir to the Hapsburg Empire" and have much the same effect.


Not sure what 78 RPM means but thanks Beef for your help!


BeefJerKAY, sounds like you need to update your out of date reference to something more recent like CDs?

LAwoodtiger said:   scammerG said:   jaimelobo said:   ScrawneyWallet said:   $1500 for a water heater!? Do any of the following words appear on the cover of the owner's manual: gold-plated, tactical, tungsten, graphite, HDMI, Rolls-Royce...?you forgot "Bose" or "Monster".

or "Tankless"


Exactly. The nice ones start at $1000 (Bosch, Rinnai, or Takaji) for the tank alone.


I thought about tankless but the price was way too much.

tyrone3971 said:   Grobe said:   If the plumbing company says they cannot install it because of the size of the tank why didn't you simply get another tank which would fit?

40 gallon is typically the smallest that would get put in. Unless it was a fattie when you needed a skinny or in the rare instance you find a 30 I don't buy the it didn't fit. Why didn't the new one fit?


Just too tall.

jnheinz said:   DellFanBoy said:   Hello FWers,

I currently had a hot water heater installed on 12/20. Below is the timeline to this mess.

12/1 - Called Home Depot (Contracted to a local plumbing company) and got a quote for same day installation of $827 (communicated via phone from sales rep) .
12/7 - The local plumbing company comes to do the installation and cannot do it due to the size of the tank. The new estimate was an additional $200 for permits and minor work. New total is $1027. (All communicated from the plumber)
12/14 - I call the plumber back to "Okay" the work and ask him to send the final quote. No response on quote but responds about other things.
12/20 - Plumber does the work and calls me to sign off on the job for $1500! I explained thats not what I was told and we go back and forth for an hour. Apparently the tentant signed the contract.
12/21 - I get a call from the sales department and they tell me that I owe $1500. I explained I didn't agree to that and I called Home Depot back to have them become the middle man.
12/27 - The plumbing company now sends Home Depot and me an email with a quote from 12/7 for $1500. I never saw this quote in my life. This is actually the first time I've ever seen a quote from these people.

So now I owe $1500 for a $300 40 gallon water heater. I feel like I should only have to pay $1027. I have text message record of me asking for the final price and no reply. What options do I have? I haven't signed anything nor have I've given any payment. I'm totally willing to pay but I want to pay the amount I thought I was going to pay.

My 2 options I think are:

1) Have the heater removed and reinstall my old 1.
2) Go to small claims court. Will I need a lawyer?


I'd go talk to the HD manager and tell them you will pay them $827. End of story, this stuff is so shady. It's all about the original quote. If that manager can't fix this problem, ask them for their manager's #. They probably deal with this crap all the time from the sounds of it. This is why I'm deathly afraid to ever contract out any work in my house to HD/Lowes.


Sounds advice! thanks.

marabout said:   unnamedone said:   You probably want to tell your tenant not to sign stuffs like this next time.

As a tenant, if I've been waiting 19 days (OP's timeline) for a water heater and someone finally shows up to install it, I'm going to sign anything that gets the job done!


haha - I should have stated the current heater worked sometimes and would randomly shut off.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   lonestarguy said:   I may have found a good way to price shop for water heaters. I looked at my city's online permit site, they lists the permits by month, including for water heater replacement. The info includes the cost of the improvement. I found that a few plumber were consistently high, like in the $1000-$1500 range. Another, who happened to be the one my builder used when my home was constructed, ranged between $400-$600. It also lists the phone# of each of the plumbers. This might be a good way to comparison shop perhaps if the numbers are accurate.
Yep one of the counties where my rentals are located has an online permit system like that where I can see the roofer bill, plumber bill etc

Great info sources


Best advice in the THREAD! THANK YOU.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.