• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just a heads up for anyone that owned Bank of America stock between October 10, 2008 and held until at least January 12, 2009.

There is a 2.3 billion dollar class action lawsuit settlement that you can apply for. Bank of America failed to disclose to shareholders billions of dollars in losses at Merrill Lynch while shareholders were voting on the merger. Additionally, several billion in bonuses were paid out during these hefty losses.

I suspected this is one of those scenarios where the class action lawyers walk away with a fortune and everyone else gets pennies but it looks like I'll get several hundred dollars (hopefully). Based on all the stockholders on those dates, the minimum settlement will be around $0.40 per share owned during those dates. It will likely be much higher as not everyone will file.

The website for more information is Link. The deadline to file is April 25, 2013.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
harthebar you are probably not monitoring this thread any longer. If you are and you are still confused and need help y... (more)

jbrownster5 (Apr. 17, 2013 @ 3:06a) |

You will also need printed COPIES, not originals, of your brokerage statements confirming the purchase and sales transac... (more)

jbrownster5 (Apr. 17, 2013 @ 3:14a) |

I would think so. You are only listing purchases and sales during the class period. Any holdings before opening trading... (more)

jbrownster5 (Apr. 17, 2013 @ 3:33a) |

At least someones going after those BOA Axxholes. My local bank just refused to cash a BOA check on the grounds that BOA wouldn't honor several of there own checks from the last few months that were cashed at my local bank. Anyone can keep stock in BOA if they so choose but its a bad sign when other banks start refusing BOA checks on those grounds.
Edit to say green for the OP for the heads up.

i received one of those packages about the settlement. The challenge is they are asking for all these details that I do not have like when and how many shares were purchased. They obviously must already know that info to include me in settlement so why would they ask me to provide evidence of it?. its too much work for 40 cents per share.

xit said:   its too much work for 40 cents per share.
BAC hit $3/share around that time. If you're saying some paperwork isn't worth a 10%+ payout, it probably wasn't a big enough stake to matter in the first place (and the payout could be higher too).

Purchase information should be kept on hand for the Tax Police anyway. Kept for many years and was good for free $75 in the OTC Brokers settlement--good money before you young folks were out there trading.

Imjusthappytobehere said:   At least someones going after those BOA Axxholes. My local bank just refused to cash a BOA check on the grounds that BOA wouldn't honor several of there own checks from the last few months that were cashed at my local bank. Anyone can keep stock in BOA if they so choose but its a bad sign when other banks start refusing BOA checks on those grounds.
Edit to say green for the OP for the heads up.

Couldn't agree more. How they sleep at night is beyond me. Where are the government regulators? I reported B of A to my AG for the delaying tactics to liquidate an account. Going on 3 months now, on a similar transaction that took less than a week at Vanguard. (ie 7 to 10 days for a "journal" transaction, 7 business days to issue a check on sold stock, four rejections on opening a new account on forms they "helped" me fill out) Sicken to say the least.

xit said:   i received one of those packages about the settlement. The challenge is they are asking for all these details that I do not have like when and how many shares were purchased. They obviously must already know that info to include me in settlement so why would they ask me to provide evidence of it?. its too much work for 40 cents per share.

It's the total amount that matters. Since BofA stock is so cheap, even a minimal 10k would get you tons of share, and a sizable payout from this lawsuit.

Is this targeted?

I have a total of 38 shares. Have had that amount since before 2000. Would it be worth my effort?

burgerwars said:   I have a total of 38 shares. Have had that amount since before 2000. Would it be worth my effort?

Only if you read first phrase of OP

I bought and sold thousands of shares of BAC during that time , made quite a bit on the daily movements

Do I add up all the shares I owned in total ? It could easily be over 20,000 as I used to buy and sell a few thousand at a time - I haven't kept any

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I bought and sold thousands of shares of BAC during that time , made quite a bit on the daily movements

Do I add up all the shares I owned in total ? It could easily be over 20,000 as I used to buy and sell a few thousand at a time - I haven't kept any

I believe you had to be on record as a shareholder on the dates of October 10, 2008 and held until at least January 12, 2009. It usually takes 3 business days for settlement... so any shares you had and held onto between those dates should qualify. I believe Oct 10th was the date the Merrill deal was announced and Jan 12th was the day shareholder voting took place... so they are trying to compensate based on people who were defrauded from the lack of disclosure from the merger.

I always thought the rushed Merrill Merger was so Bank of America could position themselves and claim too big to fail when they stuck their hand out asking for a bailout. It didn't seem to make any business sense.

AugustFour said:   Is this targeted?
Is this a serious question?

Is there a stock registry that lists all the stocks purchased and sold by an individual?

I just received the same BOA Securities class action lawsuit papers.

I am a successor trustee for a trust - but I am having trouble locating the individual's previously held BOA assets.

Most of the individual's personal papers were lost in Katrina. It's been a bit of a mess.

Any suggestions?

IrateConsumer said:   Is there a stock registry that lists all the stocks purchased and sold by an individual?

I just received the same BOA Securities class action lawsuit papers.

I am a successor trustee for a trust - but I am having trouble locating the individual's previously held BOA assets.

Most of the individual's personal papers were lost in Katrina. It's been a bit of a mess.

Any suggestions?

There is a registry that in corporate records but I don't think it's publicly available information. They use this to send out information to shareholders on voting, annual meetings, dividend payments, etc.

Your best bet is to try and figure out which brokerage was used and get the information from them.

HI ,I JUST GOT MY SETTLEMENT PACKAGE.....I BOUGHT 600 SHARES ON 12/12/08 AND SOLD THEM ON 1/12/09 AND BOUGHT ANOTHER 600 SHARES ON 1/4/09 AND SOLD THEM ON 2/5/09 I HAVE KNOW CLUE HOW TO FILL OUT THESE BOXES....DID ANYONE UNDERSTAND IT, CAN I JUST SEND THEM MY .....PORTFOLIO AS PROFF OR CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHICH FORM TO FILL THANKS

harthebar said:   HI ,I JUST GOT MY SETTLEMENT PACKAGE.....I BOUGHT 600 SHARES ON 12/12/08 AND SOLD THEM ON 1/12/09 AND BOUGHT ANOTHER 600 SHARES ON 1/4/09 AND SOLD THEM ON 2/5/09 I HAVE KNOW CLUE HOW TO FILL OUT THESE BOXES....DID ANYONE UNDERSTAND IT, CAN I JUST SEND THEM MY .....PORTFOLIO AS PROFF OR CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHICH FORM TO FILL THANKS
It's very easy if you just read the instructions step by step....

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I bought and sold thousands of shares of BAC during that time , made quite a bit on the daily movements

They ask for both purchase history and sales history going 4 months past the class period. No clue what they base an invidiual's claim on, but I filled it out and sent it in anyways (same situation as you, although maybe just 20% of your volume).

I got another class action securities lawsuit letter in the mail, but this one is for Citicorp. I haven't had time to read it, but they look similar. Anyone else?

I just got the boa letter also will fill it out during the next few weeks and mail it out.

i dont find it that easy i understand ..fill out my name......im really not a stock person ,just made a bad investment at the wrong time..i bought a totlal of 1200 shares from 12-12-08 to 1-12-09 and 1-04-09 to 2-05 -09 it seems most of the pages are the same....im so confused what to fill out....anyway ,how much am i looking to get back.....and when will they pay us .... what pages would you fill out......help sos .mayday

can you tell what pages to filll out..there is one section that has 2.50 5.00 7.50 10.00 and so on..i dont get that..

So after you fill out the forms and provide the necessary documentation==how long does it takes to get the settlement $$$$ I have never did this before --always ignored these but I have the time now that I am retired

any thoughts ????

dalliedog ,did you have a hard time filling out forms...i am having a really hard time,i dont understand this...what papers do i fill out....they all look the same......can you give me a pointer

I got a settlement check the other day for $10.53 for 1,388 shares I had, filled out the paper work for that about 5-6 months ago. Now just got this new paperwork, I take it this is a different class action case? Don't want to bother if it's $10.53 again but at $.40c that could be $455. And it was not "around $3 a share" at that time, I paid $23.90 on 11/5/08 .

I also just got the second check from the last BAC settlement. I got somewhere around $10 in total and they split it 80% up front and then distributed the remaining 20% when closing out the settlement. The silly thing is that it was in my Roth, so I had to bring a $2 check to Scottrade, and they had to overnight it at their expense to the home office (their policy due to account security issues). I'm not sure how much this will be worth to me... hopefully more than $10 this time!

Filled out mine last night and yea looks like you list each buy but also have to list each sell, also have to show proof of what you still owned as of 4/29/09. So not sure if you get anything if you no longer had any then or if you can't show losses. Mine was pretty simple, bought 1,388 on 11/05/08 and still have it. This is in a UTMA for my daughter so maybe by the time she goes off to college in 4 years it will be back to the $33k i paid....well at least for graduate school

RS4Rings said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I bought and sold thousands of shares of BAC during that time , made quite a bit on the daily movements

Filled out mine last night and yea looks like you list each buy but also have to list each sell, also have to show proof of what you still owned as of 4/29/09. So not sure if you get anything if you no longer had any then or if you can't show losses. Mine was pretty simple, bought 1,388 on 11/05/08 and still have it. This is in a UTMA for my daughter so maybe by the time she goes off to college in 4 years it will be back to the $33k i paid....well at least for graduate school

did you estimate what you would get. Mine was similar to yours ....1 buy and still holding. It looked to me like I got nothing because it was based on subtracting something from the basis so if basis was low enough, delta was negative. Is that how you read it?

kaneohe said:   RS4Rings said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I bought and sold thousands of shares of BAC during that time , made quite a bit on the daily movements

did you estimate what you would get. Mine was similar to yours ....1 buy and still holding. It looked to me like I got nothing because it was based on subtracting something from the basis so if basis was low enough, delta was negative. Is that how you read it?

I don't have a clue what a "delta" even is? I have no idea what I will get back, will just wait and figure better than nothing

RS4Rings said:   kaneohe said:   RS4Rings said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I bought and sold thousands of shares of BAC during that time , made quite a bit on the daily movements

I don't have a clue what a "delta" even is? I have no idea what I will get back, will just wait and figure better than nothing

There were some guidelines in the mailing for estimating what you might get. If you bought and held , in the formula was a term for your cost basis less some #.
The difference is what I'm calling the delta. In my case it was negative so I assumed that meant I would get 0.

harthebar said:   dalliedog ,did you have a hard time filling out forms...i am having a really hard time,i dont understand this...what papers do i fill out....they all look the same......can you give me a pointerdont just look at the papers, actually read them. Start on page 1 and follow the instructions. Some parts you can skip if they do not apply to you, like if you never bought/sold any of the options, you wouldn't fill out that section.

Do they count reinvested dividends as a separate "buy" that needs to be listed?

kaneohe said:   RS4Rings said:   kaneohe said:   RS4Rings said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I bought and sold thousands of shares of BAC during that time , made quite a bit on the daily movements

There were some guidelines in the mailing for estimating what you might get. If you bought and held , in the formula was a term for your cost basis less some #.
The difference is what I'm calling the delta. In my case it was negative so I assumed that meant I would get 0.

I went back and looked at the paperwork, I think I found that estimating info but can't get by the first couple lines before my head feels like it's going to explode. So guessing if my situation is like yours i'm looking at nothing also?

RS4Rings said:   kaneohe said:   RS4Rings said:   kaneohe said:   RS4Rings said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I bought and sold thousands of shares of BAC during that time , made quite a bit on the daily movements

I went back and looked at the paperwork, I think I found that estimating info but can't get by the first couple lines before my head feels like it's going to explode. So guessing if my situation is like yours i'm looking at nothing also?

Since you already filled out the form, might as well send it in...........maybe you'll get lucky! besides your cost basis is prob different than mine.

Yep, also received that one. Fun days..looking through old records for proof! burgerwars said:   I got another class action securities lawsuit letter in the mail, but this one is for Citicorp. I haven't had time to read it, but they look similar. Anyone else?

I got a check for the 20% Funds of some BAC settlement, my share was a whopping $2.48

harthebar you are probably not monitoring this thread any longer. If you are and you are still confused and need help you have until the 25th of april. You can post back here and I will take the time to write up a detailed explanation. You will only need to fill out page 2 claimant information, page 5 and 6 about the stock purchases and page 12 where you sign the forms. The sections with 2.5, 5,7.5 etc are for call options, which don't pertain to your situation.
I can go into more detail about how to fill out pages 5 and 6 if you need help. Just post back before the 25th.

You will also need printed COPIES, not originals, of your brokerage statements confirming the purchase and sales transactions.

propcgamer said:   Do they count reinvested dividends as a separate "buy" that needs to be listed?

I would think so. You are only listing purchases and sales during the class period. Any holdings before opening trading on sept 18, 2008 or anything held after close trading april 21, 2009 is listed as totals only (though you do need documentation for all the purchases to confirm your total).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014