diamond purchase on cruiseline

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
glxpass said:    I can't think of any merchandise aboard ship that would be a smart buy (or even an OK buy) and that I couldn't buy cheaper on land (in a "regular" store, not portsiide shopping, which many passengers do upon disembarking).A life preserver, maybe?

civ2k1 said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   I am on a cruise right now and they are offering me a really beautiful timeshare. They are so nice they even comped the cost of my cruise and are paying for all my meals. Should I pull the trigger.

Don't pull the trigger, but how did you get this deal?

I AM GOING TO PULL THE TRIGGER ON BUYING THE TIMESHARE!!!

They sent me a ticket in the mail, a free cruise ticket, I am so lucky I have never won anything before.

I really think I should pull the trigger on this timeshare deal. I guess my free cruise ticket was just a one-way ticket from Miami to Nassau. They just dropped us off in Nassau and told us that those who are smart enough to buy the timeshare get another free ticket back home on the "luxurious" cruise ship. I think the ship smelled moldy like the MGM Grand, but hey, its free!

This timeshare presentation is going on 7 hours. I hope they let us leave soon, I am getting sleepy. They told me I could go home only after I buy the timeshare and get one of my friends to take the next cruise. So please call 1-800-971-3233 in the next 72 hours to claim your free cruise. Cabins are booked on a first-come, first-served basis; so call now to claim yours.

I just saw some of the locals unload some 2-person foot-powered paddle boats for those among us who are too stupid to buy one of these fabulous timeshare packages.

Sonofspam said:   glxpass said:    I can't think of any merchandise aboard ship that would be a smart buy (or even an OK buy) and that I couldn't buy cheaper on land (in a "regular" store, not portsiide shopping, which many passengers do upon disembarking).A life preserver, maybe?

Wait until you actually need the life preserver.... The bidding gets something fierce, I hear people were going overboard on the Titanic.

/Zing

technolich said:   Sonofspam said:   glxpass said:    I can't think of any merchandise aboard ship that would be a smart buy (or even an OK buy) and that I couldn't buy cheaper on land (in a "regular" store, not portsiide shopping, which many passengers do upon disembarking).A life preserver, maybe?

Wait until you actually need the life preserver.... The bidding gets something fierce, I hear people were going overboard on the Titanic.

/Zing

Ummmmmm I am afraid you will have to walk the plank for that one

TOO SOON

OliverQuackenbush said:   civ2k1 said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   I am on a cruise right now and they are offering me a really beautiful timeshare. They are so nice they even comped the cost of my cruise and are paying for all my meals. Should I pull the trigger.

Don't pull the trigger, but how did you get this deal?

I AM GOING TO PULL THE TRIGGER ON BUYING THE TIMESHARE!!!

They sent me a ticket in the mail, a free cruise ticket, I am so lucky I have never won anything before.

I really think I should pull the trigger on this timeshare deal. I guess my free cruise ticket was just a one-way ticket from Miami to Nassau. They just dropped us off in Nassau and told us that those who are smart enough to buy the timeshare get another free ticket back home on the "luxurious" cruise ship. I think the ship smelled moldy like the MGM Grand, but hey, its free!

This timeshare presentation is going on 7 hours. I hope they let us leave soon, I am getting sleepy. They told me I could go home only after I buy the timeshare and get one of my friends to take the next cruise. So please call 1-800-971-3233 in the next 72 hours to claim your free cruise. Cabins are booked on a first-come, first-served basis; so call now to claim yours.

I just saw some of the locals unload some 2-person foot-powered paddle boats for those among us who are too stupid to buy one of these fabulous timeshare packages.

Thanks, OQ!

I just called and booked my trip, departing on April 1. Not sure when I'm coming back, though.

Thank you all .. OP here. I successfully restrained myself from the temptation to buy it. Thanks to you all who pulled me out.
But now that wifi got the taste of "The Alexandrite" and she loves it, I have to look for a good deal. Appreciate any pointers ... not the eBay please.

I am looking for some suggestions from people who have firsthand experience in buying this stuff.. as investment.

Greatness said:   Crap. Pass on it. They did the same when I was on NCL a few months ago. If they do no get you on the fleecing of their "duty free" jewelry, tobacco or alcohol, they'll get you with their hand spray...

Thank you for your input. I did.

VerbalK said:   Isn't internet access on cruise ships a rip off?
Not if it rescued you from a jewelry purchase of 15k

leedsutd67 said:   Think about it do you really know what your buying. The only way to buy is from well established local jewelery store and remember there is a big mark up on diamonds

Well I am 100% sure I will not be sure what I am buying even when I got to local store to buy the same item. I wonder how one approach in that scenario to buy an expensive stone as investment and get a good deal to its worth.

The only thing I'll buy on a ship or the carribbean is a good watch. Citizens and Tags have pretty good prices on ships, maybe better than the island stores.

VerbalK said:   Here is a .87 Alexandrite...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-87CT-NATURAL-ALEXANDRITE-DIAM...

Man, reading cruiseship discussion boards, rarely have I seen a larger collection of folks so eager to be separated from their money.

Yes, But the Emeralds International guy said 90% of the stones sold outside are duplicate/synthetic. "Mark Henry" is authentic seller of this depleting stone. He says in next 5 - 10 years all the mines in Brazil are going to vanish and no more of this beautiful stone could be bought without paying 10 times more than today's price.

Not sure how much of it is crap but i guess there is some truth to it.

billrubin said:   VerbalK said:   Isn't internet access on cruise ships a rip off?Perhaps, but far less than overpriced jewelry. Plus maybe he found someplace with free Internet access in port (which I'd like to know about, BTW, since I am going to Nassau on a cruise).

You are right Bill .. worth it if it helped to make a right decision. I paid the charges. $20.. for 30 mins.

VAIndigo said:   Yes, But the Emeralds International guy said 90% of the stones sold outside are duplicate/synthetic. "Mark Henry" is authentic seller of this depleting stone. He says in next 5 - 10 years all the mines in Brazil are going to vanish and no more of this beautiful stone could be bought without paying 10 times more than today's price.

Not sure how much of it is crap but i guess there is some truth to it.
I'd look for some evidence of it online before believing it. All of those "International" jewelry chains (Diamonds, Emeralds, Crapazite) are partners with the cruise lines.

technolich said:   Ah cruise ships, notoriously bad deals to begin with(given all the extra staff you have to pay to have around and having to deal with the massive number of people they somehow cram on to the ships), amplified by notoriously bad mass produced junk peddled as "valuables".Not true.. cruises can be great deals. Of course if you drink heavily or eat at all of the surcharged restaurants it can get pricey. But it doesn't have to be. And even the largest ships don't have to seem all that crowded.

VAIndigo said:   Thank you all .. OP here. I successfully restrained myself from the temptation to buy it. Thanks to you all who pulled me out.
But now that wifi got the taste of "The Alexandrite" and she loves it, I have to look for a good deal. Appreciate any pointers ... not the eBay please.

I am looking for some suggestions from people who have firsthand experience in buying this stuff.. as investment.

I doubt if buying diamonds as a retail investment is a wise decision.

Buying on the cruise ship is not economical!
Have fun on the ship, lounging around, eating, reading and just plain relaxation.
When you dock on the islands, go shopping. Watches, tanzinite, gems! But, do your homework beforehand, know prices.
I have a beautiful tanzinite ring that I purchases many years ago on a cruise. Had it appraised here and the value was tremendous. I wear it constantly!
I have bought watches for relatives. Shop off the ship, and the value can be unbeatable...

I haven't been on a cruise ship in 10 years, but I remember the art auctions. The guy would say that the next piece would triple in value in the next year. I thought, he probably can only get away with saying that in the middle of the ocean. I wouldn't buy most things offered on a cruise ship, not even the drinks, but then again I am rather frugal.

uutxs said:   VAIndigo said:   Thank you all .. OP here. I successfully restrained myself from the temptation to buy it. Thanks to you all who pulled me out.

I doubt if buying diamonds as a retail investment is a wise decision.

Estate and yard sales for jewelry. Most of it will be crap, but that's the only way you're going to find something that is undervalued. And if you want to buy diamonds, try cheated-on divorcees on CraigsList.

FWIW, as a former door-to-door salesperson, we classified the world into "Buyers" and "Everyone Else." Selling to "Everyone Else" requires some skill (and usually a good product). "Buyers" already want to buy, they just want the salesperson to give them some rationalizations and affirm the buyers' ability to discover great deals. This is why, if I did 10 sales pitches in a day, I would ALWAYS sell to AT LEAST one prospect. You, my friend, are a "buyer." At least you will make some salesperson's day.

Every word out of a salesman's mouth is a lie.

bullcity said:   
Estate and yard sales for jewelry. Most of it will be crap, but that's the only way you're going to find something that is undervalued. And if you want to buy diamonds, try cheated-on divorcees on CraigsList.

If you want to "price compare" - look at BlueNile or similar. But again, don't touch a stone in a foreign port unless you really know what you're doing.

I agree, jewelry is a horrible investment.

Appraisals are ridiculously marked up. Wholesale price for legitimate GIA / EGL stones is a fraction of what you see Zales or other crap-stone pushers quoting.

I've bought two diamonds on eBay. One I sent back because it's grading didn't match what came to me in the mail.
The other was a great deal, probably 50% of wholesale.
The few other purchases I'm made were CL or friends that were getting divorced and realized what they were being offered by jewelers... The setting was never a factor, I targeted the stone specifically.

Could I make money doing it? Maybe, but it'd be hard.

Good luck with the norovirus and legionaire's disease.

Just for reference;

Text

Looks like they are trying to get you to pay ~4x the actual value of the stone.

To their credit its actually a valuable stone, and is getting rarer, which I knew nothing about. At that price you are nothing but a sucker.

CptSavAHo said:   Just for reference;

Text

To their credit its actually a valuable stone, and is getting rarer, which I knew nothing about. At that price you are nothing but a sucker.

Your post demonstrates the problems when a novice attempts to buy gemstones, particularly colored stones, particularly expensive colored stones.

Without knowing anything about the cut, color, color change, origin, treatment, provenance of the stone OP was offered, we have no idea what it might be worth. It could be worth literally $5 if it's a cheap lab stone. It could be worth $16,000 if it has perfect color, 100% color change and a precision cut, and is certified by a respected lab as natural and untreated. I'm guessing though that it is closer to the $5 end.

Quick buy a timeshare as well while they are duty free! So much great value and savings to be had. Great investment potential!

crazypalooza said:   OP, you just made me feel better about spending $2+ on a bottle of water at an attraction on my vacation.
I would say $2 for a bottle of water is a good price compared to what could be charged in such situations

pattyB said:   Buying on the cruise ship is not economical!
Have fun on the ship, lounging around, eating, reading and just plain relaxation.
When you dock on the islands, go shopping. Watches, tanzinite, gems! But, do your homework beforehand, know prices.
I have a beautiful tanzinite ring that I purchases many years ago on a cruise. Had it appraised here and the value was tremendous. I wear it constantly!
I have bought watches for relatives. Shop off the ship, and the value can be unbeatable...

Appraised by who, and were they willing to buy it at a fair discount to that value?

OP right after you make the diamond purchase don't forget to sign up for any timeshare deals they may have. Those are also a sure shot investment, much like diamonds and ponzi schemes!

ETA: Just saw that DamnoIT beat me to it

CptSavAHo said:   Just for reference;

Text

Your link takes to the gems which are from India. From what I was told they don't appraise as much as the Brazil ones. Brazil ones are supposed to be much better in color change

nwill002 said:   crazypalooza said:   OP, you just made me feel better about spending $2+ on a bottle of water at an attraction on my vacation.
I would say $2 for a bottle of water is a good price compared to what could be charged in such situations

Or what could happen if he drank tap water in some countries........

So OP did you end up buying it and if so what did it appraise for when you got home?

I feel like we are being trolled. Or this thread is one big joke and I missed the cue.

barbcole said:   pattyB said:   Buying on the cruise ship is not economical!

Appraised by who, and were they willing to buy it at a fair discount to that value?

I had it appraised by a jewelery shop in my home town.
In a couple days I'm leaving on a 10 days cruise. My husband needs a new watch. Watch out island shops, I'm in the market!

I don't consider an appraisal to be the equivalent of a cash offer to buy, especially for jewelry.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. i would guess you'll have trouble getting $.10 on the $1 back from your investment. you will never hear the words "precious stone" and "investment" in the same sentence from anyone but a retail jeweler. If it was increasing 10% a year AND getting rarer, why would they sell it to you???

OP: I would get off the internet. Stay away from the shops and simply enjoy your vacay. Anything you see there, you can likely find cheaper back home. I've been to over 100 countries, and almost every single one of them claimed to be a good place to buy gold and precious stones.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014