diamond purchase on cruiseline

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
On Norwegian cruise right now to Bahamas. There is a heavy push for diamond purchase and arguing that duty free and other reasons make perfect sense.

Anyone has good experience with NCL purchase? Does it make sense to bou aboard or in Nassau in NCL suggested shops?

I was told by this guys about "Mark and Henry" Alexandrite. Emerald as the best investment buy. Anyone know about it? They are saying this company best known for this emerald appraises and sends certificate every year and they are appraising up 10% every year.
Thinking of pulling the trigger on one. 0.87 ct alexandrite. For 16k. But little hesitant at this time.

Anyone has experiance with it?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I had it appraised by a jewelery shop in my home town.
In a couple days I'm leaving on a 10 days cruise. My husband needs... (more)

pattyB (Jan. 19, 2013 @ 11:02a) |

I don't consider an appraisal to be the equivalent of a cash offer to buy, especially for jewelry.

kranky (Jan. 19, 2013 @ 6:57p) |

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. i would guess you'll have trouble getting $.10 on the $1 back fr... (more)

jcb193 (Jan. 19, 2013 @ 7:10p) |

• Also categorized in:

I've never heard of jewelry being worth even as much as you paid for it retail later on, let alone appreciating in value.

Rest assured they will mark up the jewelery to above and beyond the price you find on land, with duty.

Crap. Pass on it. They did the same when I was on NCL a few months ago. If they do no get you on the fleecing of their "duty free" jewelry, tobacco or alcohol, they'll get you with their hand spray...

There is a reason for the heavy push on jewelry sale. The reason is that they make money from each purchase.

Isn't internet access on cruise ships a rip off?

Think about it do you really know what your buying. The only way to buy is from well established local jewelery store and remember there is a big mark up on diamonds

Here is a .87 Alexandrite...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-87CT-NATURAL-ALEXANDRITE-DIAM...

Man, reading cruiseship discussion boards, rarely have I seen a larger collection of folks so eager to be separated from their money.

There have been lots of horror stories about these type purchases. Person buys the diamond jewelry at a shop in the islands, duty-free (not entirely depending on the full details), and gets home. Go to add their expensive purchase to homeowners insurance, which normally requires a rider which requires an independent assessment of the jewelry. Take it to a licensed expert who tells them they actually paid $$$$$ for junk, or at least a stone FAR below what it was graded in the store.

Do people get genuine deals in these situations? I'm sure it happens from time to time. But unless you really know your stuff to know if you're getting ripped off, it may not be worth the risk.

Do you know anything about buying colored stones? Know which certfying labs are legit and which aren't? How to ensure you get a natural, untreated stone and not a lab-created or treated stone? Can you recognize with your own eyes the best (most desirable) color and the strongest color change?

VAIndigo said:   On Norwegian cruise right now to Bahamas. There is a heavy push for diamond purchase and arguing that duty free and other reasons make perfect sense.

Anyone has good experience with NCL purchase? Does it make sense to bou aboard or in Nassau in NCL suggested shops?
In case you didn't know, the "approved" shops in each port of those that have agreed to give a kickback to the cruise line in exchange for being listed. And I can't imagine any jewelry that is sold on the ship itself being a good deal.

I see they're now pushing Alexandrite instead of Tanzanite. I have my own name for all of it -- Crapazite.

VerbalK said:   Isn't internet access on cruise ships a rip off?Perhaps, but far less than overpriced jewelry. Plus maybe he found someplace with free Internet access in port (which I'd like to know about, BTW, since I am going to Nassau on a cruise).

First time on a cruise ?

Enjoy the beach and stay away from jewelry

billrubin said:   VerbalK said:   Isn't internet access on cruise ships a rip off?Perhaps, but far less than overpriced jewelry. Plus maybe he found someplace with free Internet access in port (which I'd like to know about, BTW, since I am going to Nassau on a cruise).

I was there in April (on an NCL cruise) - no jewelry purchased! If I remember correctly, there was free WiFi in the port building (after you walk off the docks, before you reach the shops). But lots of people are trying to use it, so it can be slow.

Get back to the states and go to Costco......

lonestarguy said:   Get back to the states and go to Costco......Yep, you can get a better deal if you happen to be in Tel Aviv, but Costco is reasonable overall

Unless you're in the wholesale or mining business or really know what you're doing, you don't make money on jewelery. After subtracting the huge retail markup, jewelery appreciates at the rate of inflation in the best case. Diamond rings liquidate for 10c on the dollar, 25c if you're lucky. Diamonds can be manufactured and only maintain a high price due to efforts to control the worldwide supply (a monopoly which is probably going away). Jewelery is not a good investment (unless the sh*t really hits the fan, martial law or revolution happens and then gold jewelry may be useful, if you don't get killed for it).

OP, you just made me feel better about spending $2+ on a bottle of water at an attraction on my vacation.

Diamonds as a good an investment? I highly doubt it.

parquedematthew said:   Diamonds as a good an investment? I highly doubt it.
My father made a fortune on diamonds.... did I mention he owned a chain of retail stores that relied on idiots paying way more than the things were worth?

This has to be a great, profitable scam. A boat full of suckers, the ideal captive market, all ready to spend the money burning a hole in their pocket based on dubious information provided as a sales pitch delivered by people the passengers have never met, know nothing about, and have little chance for redress from after the cruise.

Sonofspam said:   This has to be a great, profitable scam. A boat full of suckers, the ideal captive market, all ready to spend the money burning a hole in their pocket based on dubious information provided as a sales pitch delivered by people the passengers have never met, know nothing about, and have little chance for redress from after the cruise.Exactly how they did so well with art auctions for many years.

ops a troll me thinks

harruin said:   I've never heard of jewelry being worth even as much as you paid for it retail later on, let alone appreciating in value.I have (family heirloom) platinum art deco jewelry that is worth probably 100's of times more than what it originally cost.

Crazytree said:   harruin said:   I've never heard of jewelry being worth even as much as you paid for it retail later on, let alone appreciating in value.I have (family heirloom) platinum art deco jewelry that is worth probably 100's of times more than what it originally cost.

Jewelry that doubles as art has that potential. Your normal diamond wedding ring will never appreciate in that manner.

Crazytree said:   I have (family heirloom) platinum art deco jewelry that is worth probably 100's of times more than what it originally cost.

Bet you didn't buy it on a cruise ship...

Ah cruise ships, notoriously bad deals to begin with(given all the extra staff you have to pay to have around and having to deal with the massive number of people they somehow cram on to the ships), amplified by notoriously bad mass produced junk peddled as "valuables".

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   First time on a cruise ?

Enjoy the beach and stay away from jewelry

Stay away from art auctions, too. Park West is notorious, but almost any art auction on a cruise is guaranteed to be a ripoff. I can't think of any merchandise aboard ship that would be a smart buy (or even an OK buy) and that I couldn't buy cheaper on land (in a "regular" store, not portsiide shopping, which many passengers do upon disembarking).

We bought art on a cruise once. Actually, we won it free in a drawing. We had to pay to have it shipped home and I think the shipping costs were $75. In other words, more than the lousy 'art' underneath it was ever worth. Even free, it was overpriced. That said, we still have it, it reminds us of our honeymoon, and on that level it wasn't a complete waste of money.

Cruiselines lose money on the cabins/included meals/free activities. If no one bought excursions, alcohol, art, gambling, etc, and went to the 'extra special' restaurants, etc., they would be hemorrhaging money.

When we cruise we buy our own excursions from local outfitters. We bring our own wine on board and pour a glass in our room and bring it to dinner. We do only the free activities. We don't go to the extra restaurants or coffee shops, we don't buy art and jewelry, we don't pay money to do mass wine tastings, etc. My wife does buy soft drinks, but at the end of a week on board our total bill was just tips/gratuities plus those soft drinks.

Greatness said:   If they do no get you on the fleecing of their "duty free" jewelry, tobacco or alcohol, they'll get you with their hand spray...

What's wrong with the alcohol?
It's much cheaper than I can buy at home, Carnival will even price match the prices in port.

I don't usually buy diamonds, but when I do it's always on a cruise ship.

LordB said:   Crazytree said:   harruin said:   I've never heard of jewelry being worth even as much as you paid for it retail later on, let alone appreciating in value.I have (family heirloom) platinum art deco jewelry that is worth probably 100's of times more than what it originally cost.

Jewelry that doubles as art has that potential. Your normal diamond wedding ring will never appreciate in that manner.
I got them appraised from one of the few jewelers here in LA that still does art deco-style platinum work. Wife's ring looks like a masterpiece from the 1930's... covered in pave filigree. While the value of these rings likely exceeds their purchase price due to market fluctuations in the price of platinum... the reason I bought them was because the work was highly unique and certainly has an intrinsic artistic value that is not present in other ring sets of comparable price. I have been told I have a very good eye for quality.

NxN2005 said:   I don't usually buy diamonds, but when I do it's always on a cruise ship.

Stay blingy, my friend.

psychtobe said:   We bought art on a cruise once. Actually, we won it free in a drawing. We had to pay to have it shipped home and I think the shipping costs were $75. In other words, more than the lousy 'art' underneath it was ever worth. Even free, it was overpriced. That said, we still have it, it reminds us of our honeymoon, and on that level it wasn't a complete waste of money.

Cruiselines lose money on the cabins/included meals/free activities. If no one bought excursions, alcohol, art, gambling, etc, and went to the 'extra special' restaurants, etc., they would be hemorrhaging money.

When we cruise we buy our own excursions from local outfitters. We bring our own wine on board and pour a glass in our room and bring it to dinner. We do only the free activities. We don't go to the extra restaurants or coffee shops, we don't buy art and jewelry, we don't pay money to do mass wine tastings, etc. My wife does buy soft drinks, but at the end of a week on board our total bill was just tips/gratuities plus those soft drinks.
yes with some cruises under $40 per person per day , they can be the best vacation values if you do your own shore excursions and don't buy the extras .

Many of my cruise line stateroom bills have been under $50 at checkout ... I think I heard once the average stateroom bill is $3-4000

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   psychtobe said:   We bought art on a cruise once. Actually, we won it free in a drawing. We had to pay to have it shipped home and I think the shipping costs were $75. In other words, more than the lousy 'art' underneath it was ever worth. Even free, it was overpriced. That said, we still have it, it reminds us of our honeymoon, and on that level it wasn't a complete waste of money.

yes with some cruises under $40 per person per day , they can be the best vacation values if you do your own shore excursions and don't buy the extras .

Many of my cruise line stateroom bills have been under $50 at checkout ... I think I heard once the average stateroom bill is $3-4000

What kind of strategy do you use to find hot deals on cruises? Do you bring alcohol on board?

I am on a cruise right now and they are offering me a really beautiful timeshare. They are so nice they even comped the cost of my cruise and are paying for all my meals. Should I pull the trigger.

OliverQuackenbush said:   I am on a cruise right now and they are offering me a really beautiful timeshare. They are so nice they even comped the cost of my cruise and are paying for all my meals. Should I pull the trigger.

Don't pull the trigger, but how did you get this deal?

VerbalK said:   Isn't internet access on cruise ships a rip off?

I think when I was on a Carnival cruise a few years ago there was a group of computers at $10 for 20 minutes. The connection wasn't even that fast.

I would avoid the urge to buy stuff on a cruise. When I was on one, it was just one sales pitch after another to buy junk. Save your money. You're better shopping for the same when you get home.

brettdoyle said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   psychtobe said:   We bought art on a cruise once. Actually, we won it free in a drawing. We had to pay to have it shipped home and I think the shipping costs were $75. In other words, more than the lousy 'art' underneath it was ever worth. Even free, it was overpriced. That said, we still have it, it reminds us of our honeymoon, and on that level it wasn't a complete waste of money.

What kind of strategy do you use to find hot deals on cruises? Do you bring alcohol on board?

Just check Expedia let's you search by price per day
Then actually booking use cruise compete.com to get the best price

I don't drink on the cruise , since im with my gf or family. The only time I drink is socially- getting together with friends , in Vegas, etc .

Skipping 34 Messages...
It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. i would guess you'll have trouble getting $.10 on the $1 back from your investment. you will never hear the words "precious stone" and "investment" in the same sentence from anyone but a retail jeweler. If it was increasing 10% a year AND getting rarer, why would they sell it to you???

OP: I would get off the internet. Stay away from the shops and simply enjoy your vacay. Anything you see there, you can likely find cheaper back home. I've been to over 100 countries, and almost every single one of them claimed to be a good place to buy gold and precious stones.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014