• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I bought a $25 voucher on Amazon local that included a free eye exam and $200 off eyeglasses at a local shop since I haven't had my eyes checked in over 5 years. The receptionist gave me an attitude because of the coupon and the fact that I did not expect to use the second portion of the coupon since my vision seemed ok. Initially she asked me to pay an additional amount before seeing the optometrist however eventually she relented and let me proceed. The optometrist confirmed my 20/20 vision after a summary exam (without measuring eye pressure or dilating the pupils for which they wanted to charge extra). The entire visit left me with a bitter taste and I left a review on a review site explaining that.
The shop started emailing me a few days later regarding my review. They "apologized" and since I declined to return for another visit they told me to request a refund from Amazon (which contacted me a few days later and modified the voucher to exclude an eye examination alone and offered a refund which I accepted). The owner sent me an email asking with a demanding tone to remove the review, implying that they are trying to maintain 100% client satisfaction Moreover, later in the month he threatened to send me a new bill for the visit ($75) and follow up with collections unless I remove it (all done through email).
I would probably have modified the review slightly on my own but I am now inclined to to keep it because of their continued attitude problem. Heck if I really wanted to be nasty I could even post about their threats and / or get the review site involved.

I was thinking however of writing back that should they decide to issue a NEW bill more than 1 month after the fact, I will take it to the various consumer protection and professional licensing agencies. And that the review site will not be amused with their threats.
The other alternative (in order to minimize my own aggravation) would be to remove the review and ask him to send me a letter that they have no further financial demands for my visit.

As an aside, there were initially 2 other negative reviews on the review site, one of which follows mine and also complains about the receptionist's attitude. The other review was modified to positive after an intervention from the shop.

I am seeking your advice regarding best course of action...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Amen to that! Post his emails and let him and the receptionist adjust their attitudes.

kap10flirt (Dec. 30, 2012 @ 10:24p) |

US RULES ALSO DELETED HIS POST,OP MUST BE USRULES. LETS POST A REVIEW ABOUT USRULES.

OliverQuackenbush (Dec. 30, 2012 @ 10:25p) |

Op you're going about this the wrong way trying to delete the fw thread

I'd be naming the shop in the fw thread title so ... (more)

SUCKISSTAPLES (Dec. 30, 2012 @ 10:26p) |

OP:

I bought a $25 voucher on Amazon local that included a free eye exam and $200 off eyeglasses at a local shop since I haven't had my eyes checked in over 5 years. The receptionist gave me an attitude because of the coupon and the fact that I did not expect to use the second portion of the coupon since my vision seemed ok. Initially she asked me to pay an additional amount before seeing the optometrist however eventually she relented and let me proceed. The optometrist confirmed my 20/20 vision after a summary exam (without measuring eye pressure or dilating the pupils for which they wanted to charge extra). The entire visit left me with a bitter taste and I left a review on a review site explaining that.

The shop started emailing me a few days later regarding my review. They "apologized" and since I declined to return for another visit they told me to request a refund from Amazon (which contacted me a few days later and modified the voucher to exclude an eye examination alone and offered a refund which I accepted). The owner sent me an email asking with a demanding tone to remove the review, implying that they are trying to maintain 100% client satisfaction Moreover, later in the month he threatened to send me a new bill for the visit ($75) and follow up with collections unless I remove my review (all done through email).
I would probably have modified the review slightly on my own but I am now inclined to to keep it because of their continued attitude problem. Heck if I really wanted to be nasty I could even post about their threats and / or inform the review site about those threats.

I was thinking however of writing back that should they decide to issue a NEW bill more than 1 month after the fact, I will take it to the various consumer protection and professional licensing agencies. And that the review site will not be amused with their threats.
The other alternative (in order to minimize my own aggravation) would be to remove the review and ask him to send me a letter that they have no further financial demands for my visit.

As an aside, there is another negative review on the review site, which follows mine and also complains about the receptionist's attitude. Another initially negative review was modified to positive after an intervention from the shop.

I am seeking your advice regarding best course of action...
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

they cannot bill you for something you already paid (redeemed a voucher) for
ignore any contact

Leave it up

Honest reviews that don't get bought into silence are needed.

While upselling was the clear goal of their voucher , the fact you had no need for glasses makes their conduct of asking you for more money reprehensible

Instead of threatening to report them to professional licensing agencies , just do it

nairamo said:   I am seeking your advice regarding best course of action...

Forward the emails to AmazonLocal and move on.

Life is too short to waste time on this.

Alcibiades said:   they cannot bill you for something you already paid for
ignore any contact

The voucher was refunded
I already responded to their intitial email, nothing else since, but they threaten with a new bill and collections...

BEEFjerKAY said:   nairamo said:   I am seeking your advice regarding best course of action...

Amazon already refunded the voucher, doubt they will do anything else...

I think the dr strategy was to get you to return the voucher so he can claim the voucher wasn't used and you are liable for the regular bill

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I think the dr strategy was to get you to return the voucher so he can claim the voucher wasn't used and you are liable for the regular bill

Yes I think so too. I shouldn't have accepted the refund that was offered by Amazon on their own initiative (I assume prompted by the shop) This is like chess
In any event the owner was the one that suggested me to get a refund so he shouldn't be able to turn around now and issue a new bill for the same visit.
What is particularly damaging for his case is that he's clearly stating in the email that unless I remove the review they'll issue a bill...

It's not your fault they didn't write the terms of their offer correctly. They could have initially included the terms "must purchase glasses", but they didn't. That's a lesson they have now learned.

If you have the ability to go back and revise your existing review, I would go back and add in all these details as well. I would write to the office explain the office and explain that you will be including all these details in the review as well and any future details as well, so it would be in their best interest to stop digging a deeper hole. Finally, I would say that this is final communication I'll be having, if you wish to issue a new bill a send it to collections, that's your choice and you reserve the right to litigate in small claims as needed, but don't threaten anymore, just do it or don't.

I can't imagine they'll actually go through with it. I believe any judge reviewing this case would rule in your favor in half a second. The terms of the agreement were written by them and thus will always be viewed with any "doubt" leaning towards you, since you didn't write the terms.

I can see the dilation costing extra (I don't agree with this practice), but charging for an IOP (intraocular pressure) measurement is absurd and does not sound right. Sounds to me like mis-communication between you and the staff. I have never heard of an office charging to check your eye pressure as that is part of your "comprehensive" examination (be it routine or medical).

The whole thing sounds like poor communication between the 2 parties rather than any wrong doing. I am interested in the fine print in that deal if you have a PDF of it. We have ran these deals in the past and always had good results. Most issues occur from the patient not reading the fine print when purchasing or the office not including all of the info.

I highly doubt the office will do anything (idle threats), but your review will hurt them financially. I recommend that you leave it up if it everything you said was true, but know that it will hurt the small business owner if it was undeserved.

I know that isn't a deal with us since we don't run that steep of a promo.

Take a dump in a paper bag, place it outside the office before they open. Address it to the receptionist. Reply to the owner and tell him he can go pound sand. This isn't worth your aggravation, as you've eluded in your OP, nor is it worth getting in a pissing match over. If they bill you, make sure you have those emails handy.

Edit: Green to i3igHead for sharing some professional insight.

I think you both deserve each other.

If you have this stuff in emails, forward it all to the AMA. This moron is performing extortion, and he's doing it in writing.

You are not going to change this dude. Do what you feel is right and move on.

Crazytree said:   I think you both deserve each other.

Leaping lizards batman, the world moves on despite this petty ocular squabble.

StevenColorado said:   If you have this stuff in emails, forward it all to the AMA. This moron is performing extortion, and he's doing it in writing.

Optometrists are not eligible to be members of the AMA as they are not medical doctors.

OP, don't threaten, post the full text of the emails to the review site so prospective customers can be aware of what these shysters are up to.

BTW, who sold the "voucher?" The eye glass folks or some 3rd party?

germanpope said:   Leaping lizards batman, the world moves on despite this petty ocular squabble.

Clearly there must be some way they can see eye-to-eye on this?

I'd love to see the "honest and fair" review the OP did.

If he's anything like a lot of "voucher" users, he gamed the company, got what he wanted, left a terrible review for probably no reason, and then got a refund on his voucher.

The company probably tried to apologize and "make things right" for any perceived "issues" but the OP is a typical voucher user that will find any reason to leave a terrible review and use any reason possible as a slight in order to get stuff free.

OR I could be wrong and the OP will post his yelp review to prove that he fairly reviewed the business and didn't just attack them for the heck of it.

If I am wrong there is no reason for the OP to NOT post the yelp review, because how can we tell the business to pound sand if they're justified in saying that the review is unfair and possibly libelous?

Yes, I too would like to see the review and subsequent communications. This is a he said, she said, until further review.

This is why I never trust reviews from all those review sites. There are potential bad reviews that get changed.

Anytime, I post a negative review I get hounded by the business to change it. So, I bet a lot of folks just delete the bad review or change the review to positive.

Post link to review, post emails on public blog, email the eye doctor about all the links and ask for his inputs into the threads.

BEEFjerKAY said:   nairamo said:   I am seeking your advice regarding best course of action...

Good advice. I don't understand why this is an issue someone has to waste time. Just report to Amazon and stop worrying about it.

suezyque said:   Yes, I too would like to see the review and subsequent communications. This is a he said, she said, until further review.

Very true.

SS7Man said:   Post link to review, post emails on public blog, email the eye doctor about all the links and ask for his inputs into the threads.Don't forget pics of the receptionist.

ciscovpn said:   This is why I never trust reviews from all those review sites. There are potential bad reviews that get changed.

Anytime, I post a negative review I get hounded by the business to change it. So, I bet a lot of folks just delete the bad review or change the review to positive.

But does that mean one should cast a blind eye to online reviews?

BEEFjerKAY said:   ciscovpn said:   This is why I never trust reviews from all those review sites. There are potential bad reviews that get changed.

But does that mean one should cast a blind eye to online reviews?
An eye for an eye will make this whole forum unreadable.

germanpope said:   Crazytree said:   I think you both deserve each other.

Leaping lizards batman, the world moves on despite this petty ocular squabble.

Why do I have a feeling that there is more than one side to this story?

Several clarifications in response to some of the questions above:

I basically used the voucher for the eye exam without buying glasses (they found my vision to still be 20/20). The verbiage on the Amazon local voucher was changed AFTER my visit to exclude usage for "eye exam only". It now basically forces you to buy eyeglasses at $200 discount when using the voucher. I presume the shop called Amazon to modify the terms of the voucher.

Their beef with me is the review; they are now trying to use the threat of sending a new bill for the eye exam visit in order to make me remove the review.
The review I left is I believe, fair; it talks about the patronizing treatment and incomplete service I received with the voucher. I gave them 2 out of 5 stars Another reviewer (after me) also complained about the receptionist rudeness (and gave them 1 star

Another family member used a similar voucher for another establishment (also went for an exam and didn't buy glasses) and was thrilled with the entire experience.

Amazon's policies are VERY clear that merchants cannot offer a refund or concession in order to have a review deleted or modifies.

The customer can choose to delete the review if they made a mistake, but the merchant is not allowed to bribe them. If a merchant tries to retaliate for a review which seems to have been done, I agree--forward it to Amazon.

Their account will quickly go from good status, to poor status. 87% of sellers have good or excellent status on their internal system. The sellers with poor status get booted quickly.

The dr position is going to be that the vouchers were not good for an eye exam alone

Therefore they reversed the voucher and billed op for an exam-only cost

Clarifications in response to some questions above:

I basically used the voucher for the eye exam without buying glasses (they found my vision to still be 20/20). The verbiage on the Amazon local voucher was changed AFTER my visit to exclude usage for "eye exam only". It now basically forces you to buy eyeglasses at $200 discount when using the voucher. I presume the shop called Amazon to modify the terms of the voucher, but I still have the original copy.

Their beef with me is the review; they only want 5 star reviews and are now trying to use the threat of sending a new bill for the eye exam visit in order to make me remove the review. Their tone and demeanor continues to be arrogant and demanding which pisses the heck out of me.

The review I left is I believe, fair; it talks about the patronizing treatment and incomplete service I received with the voucher. I gave them 2 out of 5 stars Another reviewer (after me) also complained about the receptionist rudeness as well as other things (and gave them 1 star A third reviewer upgraded from 3 to 5 stars after the shop pacified the customer. They also have several 5 star reviews

Another family member used a similar voucher for another establishment (also went for an exam and didn't use the glasses discount part) and was thrilled with the entire experience.

Lastly, the review was NOT left on Amazon but another review site. I couldn't find any other way to leave a review for Amazon local deals...

OP, just update your review to make it more accurate

Indicate that you got a satisfactory resolution but you don't agree with the way you were treated and move on

You personal integrity is undoubtedly worth more to you than showing up the other guy. So take care of it. And be done.

One more question --- why did you even bother them if you are 20/20?

germanpope said:   One more question --- why did you even bother them if you are 20/20?

I talked about it in the original wall of text Haven't had an eye exam in years, was due for one.

nairamo said:   germanpope said:   One more question --- why did you even bother them if you are 20/20?

I talked about it in the original wall of text Haven't had an eye exam in years, was due for one.

OK --- but if I was 20/20 I would just print out a chart and put it on the wall

You seem to have spent to much time on this

germanpope said:   nairamo said:   
Haven't had an eye exam in years, was due for one.

I disagree.
FYI, glaucoma or high eye pressure is a "silent killer" of your sight, same as high blood pressure or high cholesterol for your heart. You need to get your eye pressure checked periodically to make sure you don't have it, same as getting periodic blood pressure and cholesterol measurements. And there are many other diseases which can be silent initially...

nairamo said:   germanpope said:   nairamo said:   
Haven't had an eye exam in years, was due for one.

I disagree.
FYI, glaucoma or high eye pressure is a "silent killer" of your sight, same as high blood pressure or high cholesterol for your heart. You need to get your eye pressure checked periodically to make sure you don't have it, same as getting periodic blood pressure and cholesterol measurements. And there are many other diseases which can be silent initially...

Did you think the voucher covered this check?

Op, post the link to your review so we can all thumb-up your review.

faw169 said:   Op, post the link to your review so we can all thumb-up your review.

Don't assume we all concluded he deserves it.

Skipping 36 Messages...
Op you're going about this the wrong way trying to delete the fw thread

I'd be naming the shop in the fw thread title so anyone googling would find out about their poor customer practices behind the scenes

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014