• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
I suspect OP argued with them about not getting full service for $25.

You need to go overseas to get full service for that price.

germanpope said:   You need to go overseas to get full service for that price.

That's what SiS and Crazytree always say.

germanpope said:   faw169 said:   Op, post the link to your review so we can all thumb-up your review.
Don't assume we all concluded he deserves it.

I was simply looking for advice on what to do. So far SUCKIS and maybe couple more seem to have gotten this right.
I am not seeking thumbs up of the review nor getting universal validation on FWF. Please focus on advice as to what to do from this point on if possible.

germanpope said:   I suspect OP argued with them about not getting full service for $25.
You need to go overseas to get full service for that price.

I definitely thought that they will at least measure the eye pressure. I am not sure, but it may be even malpractice not to do it routinely. Someone else I know used a similar coupon elsewhere and had both pressure measurement and dilatation done at no extra charge. See this as well:
i3ighead said:   I can see the dilation costing extra (I don't agree with this practice), but charging for an IOP (intraocular pressure) measurement is absurd and does not sound right. Sounds to me like mis-communication between you and the staff. I have never heard of an office charging to check your eye pressure as that is part of your "comprehensive" examination (be it routine or medical).

Again though we're deviating and going off tangents....

germanpope said:   nairamo said:   germanpope said:   nairamo said:   
Haven't had an eye exam in years, was due for one.

OK --- but if I was 20/20 I would just print out a chart and put it on the wall
You seem to have spent to much time on this

I disagree.
FYI, glaucoma or high eye pressure is a "silent killer" of your sight, same as high blood pressure or high cholesterol for your heart. You need to get your eye pressure checked periodically to make sure you don't have it, same as getting periodic blood pressure and cholesterol measurements. And there are many other diseases which can be silent initially...

Did you think the voucher covered this check?

people buy for a DEAL, not to make sure they are covered. Don't advertise what you can't offer and break even at least. Business responsibility, not buyers.

So who sold the voucher and where is the link to the review?

nairamo said:   
I was simply looking for advice on what to do. So far SUCKIS and maybe couple more seem to have gotten this right.
I am not seeking thumbs up of the review nor getting universal validation on FWF. Please focus on advice as to what to do from this point on if possible.

How are we supposed to give advice on what to do if we can't even tell if you're telling the truth or just presenting a VERY one sided argument?

Post the review or name of the business so that we can advise you on what to do, or realize that you're only portraying YOUR side of the situation and realize that we can only answer based on the information presented. Just remember that customers have gotten sued successfully for posting libelous reviews if they're not true, so sometimes doing nothing about a review that might be libelous could cost you in the end.

nairamo said:   
I definitely thought that they will at least measure the eye pressure. I am not sure, but it may be even malpractice not to do it routinely. Someone else I know used a similar coupon elsewhere and had both pressure measurement and dilatation done at no extra charge.

What exactly did the voucher state was included? It seems like you're making a lot of assumptions about what you paid for, what does the voucher state is offered?
FrugalFreak said:   

people buy for a DEAL, not to make sure they are covered. Don't advertise what you can't offer and break even at least. Business responsibility, not buyers.

That's possibly the biggest load of crap and why a lot of bad reviews get written by "deal" users, the deal you buy explicitly should state what is and isn't included. Making assumptions about what is covered on the part of the buyers and expecting the businesses to bend the deal to suit the customer isn't how it works. The customers buy a deal, the people offering the deal fulfill exactly what is offered.

If measuring the eye pressure isn't explicitly part of the deal, there is no reason to expect that it's covered.

B-I-N-G-O

Hehe, yeah
The owner told me to get a refund from Amazon. Amazon offered a refund for the visit a couple days later although I never contacted them for it, and I accepted. They also changed the terms of the voucher after the fact.

The problem is now that the optometry shop owner DEMANDS that I remove the review (which I BTW think is a reasonable review) or else he'll issue a new bill for the visit. This not only sounds unethical but may be illegal... I would have probably updated the review myself if he would have acted decently instead of continuing to use an arrogant and demanding tone.

Again lets KEEP IT CIVIL. I am not asking for thumbs up of the review or for interaction with the shop but rather a discussion on the best course of action with pertinent pros and cons.

That place is obviously an upsell-ripoff shop catering to vain people overpaying for eyewear , not people looking for a deal

Looks like a bad place to go. Another user left bad review on them.

If you have the free time, it could be fun to update the review with the latest threats from the office.
I'd enjoy it because i can be a vindictive a-hole when wronged.

settle down guys, this is not your ordinary store this is an Optique

Ok, so now we have access to your review. Now how about showing us his "demands"?

OP gains nothing by posting any more information than she already has.

If collections does come, ask to validate. It will disappear.

We're not at the stage of collections yet. I haven't even received a bill yet. The shop is threatening with issuing a bill IF I don't remove the review within 2 weeks. To summarize it, I have 3 options now:

1) I suck it up and remove the review, asking for a letter clearing me of any fees for the visit, <--- this is what the shop demands
2) I respond to their email, warning that should they issue this new bill I will take it up with the DA, BBB, the opticians association, the state education bureau which is the licensing authority, etc. Y.elp won't approve of their practice either. OR
3) Ignore them for now but act according to #2 above if they issue the new bill

In response to the last 2 options, the shop could suck it up OR stick me with the new bill (and open an entire can of worms for them and headaches for me).
If they do send me a new bill, I could choose to pay it (or not) while fighting them.

My initial inclination is to go with option 2 because of their continued attitude.
If anyone else can come up with any additional constructive angle or argument please share, otherwise we should all move on.

nairamo said:   germanpope said:   faw169 said:   Op, post the link to your review so we can all thumb-up your review.
Don't assume we all concluded he deserves it.

As I mentioned earlier today, the easiest way to solve this issue is to contact Amazon Local and let them know that you received a bill that was suppose to be covered by the voucher. Even thought Amazon issued you a refund the merchant ( optometrist's office) is charging you for the same service that was suppose to be covered by the voucher, Amazon will tell the merchant that they cannot charge for the same service. So let Amazon handle it for you. There is no need worry about the bill unless the optometrist did additional work that was not covered in the voucher.

Also if you want a good advice, then show us the fiint prints on the voucher and the threatening letters from the doctor. Otherwise, we are only listening to one side and cannot give you a goob advice. We just cannot automatically assume that you are right and the optometrist is wrong.

You went to a place called an "Optique", I think that about says it all.

Leave it be, move on with your life. The store won't bill you unless (until?) they find this thread and it pisses them off again.

Uso said:   Looks like a bad place to go. Another user left bad review on them.

Two bad reviews and more good reviews means it's a bad place to go? I look at other reviews by the reviewers, both negative reviews are 1-2 review posters, the 5 star reviews are people that have done a lot of other reviews.

In my opinion I would discount the 1 star reviews way before the 5 star reviews

suezyque said:   Ok, so now we have access to your review. Now how about showing us his "demands"?

This x100, especially reading the actual review in question it does almost come of as libelous.

edit: i see that info of the shop was posted, I bet this place is the next ski shop type place from a few years ago, bad reviews here they come I bet!

I think this place just found out what happens when you piss off the wrong person.

nairamo said:   2) I respond to their email, warning that should they issue this new bill I will take it up with the DA, BBB, the opticians association, the state education bureau which is the licensing authority, etc. Y.elp won't approve of their practice either. OR
3) Ignore them for now but act according to #2 above if they issue the new bill

The optometrist is gonna be pissed now that your review is listed on the top with so many TUs.

Just go ahead and file the complaints, based on the simple fact they've threatened to send you a fictitious and erroneous bill out of revenge.
It may actually save you headaches if the agencies ask the optometrist for a response soon enough.

ELIJAH PETERS OPTIQUE takes advantage of customers trying to upsell them
When they are trying to use discount coupons

They don't know fw ranks higher than yel.p on google results

Who would want to buy from them now ?

DAMN! Someone else, I assume from FW just posted a nasty review on Y.elp. Please remove it! yelp is supposed to be about real people posting their experience not some place to take vengeance!
I will have to delete all my comments above now since this is getting out of hand...

Awesome.

OP: There's nothing wrong with your original post. However, users shouldn't expect they can use the community for advice and then delete everything when it doesn't go their way.

Here's the OP:

I bought a $25 voucher on Amazon local that included a free eye exam and $200 off eyeglasses at a local shop since I haven't had my eyes checked in over 5 years. The receptionist gave me an attitude because of the coupon and the fact that I did not expect to use the second portion of the coupon since my vision seemed ok. Initially she asked me to pay an additional amount before seeing the optometrist however eventually she relented and let me proceed. The optometrist confirmed my 20/20 vision after a summary exam (without measuring eye pressure or dilating the pupils for which they wanted to charge extra). The entire visit left me with a bitter taste and I left a review on a review site explaining that.

The shop started emailing me a few days later regarding my review. They "apologized" and since I declined to return for another visit they told me to request a refund from Amazon (which contacted me a few days later and modified the voucher to exclude an eye examination alone and offered a refund which I accepted). The owner sent me an email asking with a demanding tone to remove the review, implying that they are trying to maintain 100% client satisfaction Moreover, later in the month he threatened to send me a new bill for the visit ($75) and follow up with collections unless I remove my review (all done through email).
I would probably have modified the review slightly on my own but I am now inclined to to keep it because of their continued attitude problem. Heck if I really wanted to be nasty I could even post about their threats and / or inform the review site about those threats.

I was thinking however of writing back that should they decide to issue a NEW bill more than 1 month after the fact, I will take it to the various consumer protection and professional licensing agencies. And that the review site will not be amused with their threats.
The other alternative (in order to minimize my own aggravation) would be to remove the review and ask him to send me a letter that they have no further financial demands for my visit.

As an aside, there is another negative review on the review site, which follows mine and also complains about the receptionist's attitude. Another initially negative review was modified to positive after an intervention from the shop.

I am seeking your advice regarding best course of action...

There's nothing wrong with my post but people started interfering, posting nasty reviews on y.elp. This is unhelpful at best, potentially harmful

Op there's also nothing wrong with us naming this ripoff place who threaten collections to people who use a discount voucher

As a deal hunter I find that goes against all I stand for

You clearly were not the only person treated poorly when using a discount voucher .

I have no qualms using their name when giving my opinion of stores that mistreat voucher users. Let them subpoena FW for my user info . I'll be happy to see them in court.

civ2k1 said:   OP: There's nothing wrong with your original post. However, users shouldn't expect they can use the community for advice and then delete everything when it doesn't go their way.

Good point. I don't know where these delete tantrums got started.

Apparently people think fw is a place to post a rant , being sure to leave out half the facts , and being too afraid to name the company.

Be loud. Be proud.

OP if you are concerned --- just leave a nice review now and move on --- you can't control what other people do

His review was on 11/21. Someone else made a bad review on 12/10. Maybe this is really how they treat bargain hunters with vouchers so no reason to be concerned with your review.

nairamo said:   There's nothing wrong with my post but people started interfering, posting nasty reviews on y.elp. This is unhelpful at best, potentially harmful

As the Pope said, what others do isn't your concern. If you are worried you can flag the review, yel.p will likely remove it for calling the receptionist a bitch.

New, very nasty review just posted half an hour ago. It is a regurg of the thread so it has to be someone from FW

Amen to that! Post his emails and let him and the receptionist adjust their attitudes.

US RULES ALSO DELETED HIS POST,OP MUST BE USRULES. LETS POST A REVIEW ABOUT USRULES.

Op you're going about this the wrong way trying to delete the fw thread

I'd be naming the shop in the fw thread title so anyone googling would find out about their poor customer practices behind the scenes

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.