Help with credit collections

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My husband who was ill passed away with VA being responsible for the bills. Although I have informed everyone that has sent me a bill by writing, some are still calling and bothering me. Some have been turned over to bill collectors. It has only been five months since my husband has passed away, but my phone is ringing off the wall with 1-800 numbers wanting money from me. I have not been allowed to grieve my husband's death, because of all the calls that keep me in an aggravated state of mind. Some have informed me that they cannot submit the bills because the hospital records have not been sent to the VA. I have contacted the VA and talked to representative here in my home town to get the medical bills and records straightened up. I am at my wit's end with these problems. Some bills are being paid by VA, other's have not. Where do I go from here? I would appreciate any help that I could receive from you, but please don't respond with negative thoughts, I do not need this at this time. My husband was in the VietNam War and it took years to kill him, but the VA is responsible. The problem is that they billed Medicare instead of the VA, leaving me a big deductible to pay. They did this with me telling them that the VA is responsible for the bills.I truly, do not know what steps to take next. The VA respresentative has been so kind to me, but does not know the answer either.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The executor of his estate should settle his affairs

Tell the callers he has passed away, and to stop calling you. Keep a record of who calls and when, and what you tell them. Then at some point take this log to an attorney, who will sue for debt collection violations.

And more importantly, sorry for your loss.

I have no answer to you for your situation, but I am truly sorry for your loss.

Call your representative or senator. They will gladly get with the VA to settle this issue.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014