• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Check your account. Doesn't seem to be targeted. My brother also got this.

****, Kick off the new year with 2% CashBack Bonus on up to $250 in purchases when you use your Discover card from Tuesday, January 1 through Tuesday, January 15

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Only thing i see is a $15 statement credit offer when you charge $150 on Expedia.com.

KYBOSH (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 9:43p) |

nvm

jucus (Jan. 01, 2013 @ 3:25a) |

only thing under Rewards options was the quarterly 5%:
January March 2013 Restaurants and Movies

so this extra 2% is tar... (more)

yurgreat (Jan. 01, 2013 @ 7:52p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP. Just signed up.

Looks like these promotions are getting worse for 2013. Limit of only $250. They used to be unlimited for the specified day(s).

dataadmin said:   Looks like these promotions are getting worse for 2013. Limit of only $250. They used to be unlimited for the specified day(s).

To be fair, this promotion lasts for two weeks, rather than a single day. You can spend a lot of money in two weeks, so I don't blame them for putting a cap on it.

Its a $5 incentive, max. Not worth it

Hmmm... I can't find it. Maybe it's targeted?

unnamedone said:   Hmmm... I can't find it. Maybe it's targeted?Same here.

Nada. Definitely targeted.

I don't think it is targeted. It is on all 4 of our accounts just like the previous 2% offers. Some of the accounts have it in the upper right with the Cash Back sign-ups. Some have a special banner on the bottom.

maddybeagle said:   I don't think it is targeted. It is on all 4 of our accounts just like the previous 2% offers. Some of the accounts have it in the upper right with the Cash Back sign-ups. Some have a special banner on the bottom.Nope, still no sign of it anywhere on either of our accounts.

None here. Appears targeted.

None here either.

Not targeted. Discover annoys me, as they don't consistently display rewards banners across all accounts.

After you log in, click on "Account Profile" on the top right side of the page, scroll down to the "Rewards Options" section, which is near the bottom of the profile page. All your offers (signed up or not) will be displayed there.

This section does not exist for business accounts. I suppose there are other account/card types that may be excluded as well.

HotSalami said:   Not targeted. Discover annoys me, as they don't consistently display rewards banners across all accounts.

After you log in, click on "Account Profile" on the top right side of the page, scroll down to the "Rewards Options" section, which is near the bottom of the profile page. All your offers (signed up or not) will be displayed there.

This section does not exist for business accounts. I suppose there are other account/card types that may be excluded as well.

It is targeted. I see the following on one but no the other one:
" Double CashBack Bonus Day Promotion

January 1 - 15 - 2% CashBack Bonus

Signed up

Starts January 1 "

HotSalami said:   Not targeted. Discover annoys me, as they don't consistently display rewards banners across all accounts.

I did check there, and there's nothing other than the 4th qtr 2012/1st qtr 2013 5% offers and a 2% offer on cable, etc.

Might not be so bad if it can stack with the other 5% categories.

Anybody know if the "send money" transactions count?

Discover should only be used with shopdscover 5% and online promotion. For everything else use unlimited 2% from fidelity AMEX.

On only $250 of spending? Sure, I'll take advantage of it and meet the cap.. but it's just silly. They over-hype these promotions.

king0fSpades said:   Discover should only be used with shopdscover 5% and online promotion. For everything else use unlimited 2% from fidelity AMEX.

I usually take advantage of any 2% transactions with Discover because of the ability to purchase Staples or Sam's Club gift card at a discount with that Cash Back. To me, 2% back at Discover is worth >2%

king0fSpades said:   Discover should only be used with shopdscover 5% and online promotion. For everything else use unlimited 2% from fidelity AMEX.
The grocery store I often go to doesn't accept AMEX. But they accept Discover. It seems to me that Discover is more widely accepted than AMEX around the place where I live.

imatechie said:   Check your account. Doesn't seem to be targeted. My brother also got this.

****, Kick off the new year with 2% CashBack Bonus on up to $250 in purchases when you use your Discover card from Tuesday, January 1 through Tuesday, January 15

I don't find this offer after I login.

jrtang said:   Anybody know if the "send money" transactions count?

Yes it works.

BTPlayer said:   It is targeted. I see the following on one but no the other one:
Are they both "More" cards (vs. Business, Escape, Student, Miles, Open Road, Motiva, It, Ghetto, et al) ???

dup

ellory said:   Its a $5 incentive, max. Not worth it
Well, it's not worth a lot of fussing over, but if you are going to make $250 of purchases within the timeframe and don't have better options, of course it's worth it. It's still free money.

Why is quoted post above post getting so much green? How idiotic. FW sure has a lot of nonsensical reactions from people.

To whomever said $5 "wasn't worth it."

You're clicking one link. That doesn't seem like a lot of work to get an extra $5.

imatechie said:   Check your account. Doesn't seem to be targeted. My brother also got this.

It is targeted, title should be changed.

coolchicagoguy said:   None here. Appears targeted.
I'm from Chicago too and didn't get it either (my wife was denied as well). I guess they don't care about their hometown.

I expressed my displeasure about being denied somewhere else so I won't rehash it but I will say that I have let Discover know that this 30 year customer is pretty upset that they don't see fit to give me (potentially) $5. Not that it will make a bit of difference to them but at least I'll get some pleasure out of keeping my Discover card in my wallet while I use my other cards for basically everything I buy.

Hmm, I was able to sign up for it and I don't make a lot of purchases with my Discover so I am finding it hard to believe it's targeted. And 2% will always be worth it with Shopdiscover.

dollarshort said:   Hmm, I was able to sign up for it and I don't make a lot of purchases with my Discover so I am finding it hard to believe it's targeted. And 2% will always be worth it with Shopdiscover.
Do you think the (at least) seven of us who posted that we didn't get the offer are too stupid to find it?

I get this message after using a special link, since the offer is not anywhere on my account.

OOPS. WE'RE SORRY.
Your account is ineligible for this Double promotion. On the bright side, here is another way you can earn extra rewards

Shows up on mine. And I've used the last three 2% bonus offers and use the card regularly, so if it's targeted, I can't even guess what criteria they used. Maybe they're just rolling it out slowly, so not everyone could see it right away?

bru20 said:   dollarshort said:   Hmm, I was able to sign up for it and I don't make a lot of purchases with my Discover so I am finding it hard to believe it's targeted. And 2% will always be worth it with Shopdiscover.
Do you think the (at least) seven of us who posted that we didn't get the offer are too stupid to find it?

I get this message after using a special link, since the offer is not anywhere on my account.

OOPS. WE'RE SORRY.
Your account is ineligible for this Double promotion. On the bright side, here is another way you can earn extra rewards

Geez, I never implied anyone was stupid. I spend very little on my Discover card so it is unlikely that I would fall into the bracket of having this offered to a select few. If you don't see it, why not call and ask why it's not available?

dollarshort said:   bru20 said:   dollarshort said:   Hmm, I was able to sign up for it and I don't make a lot of purchases with my Discover so I am finding it hard to believe it's targeted. And 2% will always be worth it with Shopdiscover.

OOPS. WE'RE SORRY.

Geez, I never implied anyone was stupid. I spend very little on my Discover card so it is unlikely that I would fall into the bracket of having this offered to a select few. If you don't see it, why not call and ask why it's not available?

The point of many promotions like this would be to encourage more card usage so you'd probably be a perfect target for this promotion...

Side note: Checked my account and I did receive this offer (Discover is my primary card)

• king0fSpades said:   Discover should only be used with shopdscover 5% and online promotion...+1

• Thrilla said:   I usually take advantage of any 2% transactions with Discover because of the ability to purchase Staples or Sam's Club gift card at a discount with that Cash Back. To me, 2% back at Discover is worth >2%A *LONG* time ago (in a galaxy far, far away {RollEyes}), the Staples offer was MUCH better than '$25 Gift Card for $20' (I'm too old now to REMEMBER exactly what it was, but, it was a good deal - maybe $50 for $25?) Also, the last time (*YEARS* ago!) that I used Discover for a Staples 'Certificate', IIRC, it had an Expiration Date.

I never know when a Staples Deal that I'd be interested in will pop up. Thus, when the NEED the '$25 for $20' arises, I can never get it fast enough to use on the current Hot Deal.

Am I missing something?

Staples Redemption
Disclaimer

Staples Redemption
Disclaimer
TakeTheActive said:   
  • king0fSpades said:   Discover should only be used with shopdscover 5% and online promotion...+1

• Thrilla said:   I usually take advantage of any 2% transactions with Discover because of the ability to purchase Staples or Sam's Club gift card at a discount with that Cash Back. To me, 2% back at Discover is worth >2%A *LONG* time ago (in a galaxy far, far away {RollEyes}), the Staples offer was MUCH better than '$25 Gift Card for $20' (I'm too old now to REMEMBER exactly what it was, but, it was a good deal - maybe $50 for $25?) Also, the last time (*YEARS* ago!) that I used Discover for a Staples 'Certificate', IIRC, it had an Expiration Date.

I never know when a Staples Deal that I'd be interested in will pop up. Thus, when the NEED the '$25 for $20' arises, I can never get it fast enough to use on the current Hot Deal.

Am I missing something?

It depends if Staples is a convenient location to you. I work three blocks from a Staples and pass by 2 more on the way home so it's an easy matter for me to take advantage of deals that pop up. I've churned a few hundred dollars in Staples GCs in the past month and put another few hundred on my Chase Ink Plus. A lot of the strategies and deals can be found in HD threads. If the right inspiration strikes you, you might be able come up with a few creative uses for them yourself.

Attached images so you know that I'm not blowing smoke...

I had this right on the front page of my Discover "Gas" account (do they still call it 'Open Road'?). NOT present under my older, regular flavor Discover card.
I just recently completed a $200 bonus CB with $3500 spend by 12/31 offer on the Open Road, so I may as well take this $5 as well.

ellory said:   Its a $5 incentive, max. Not worth it
It's free money. I'd reach down to pick up a five dollar bill.

TakeTheActive said:   A *LONG* time ago (in a galaxy far, far away {RollEyes}), the Staples offer was MUCH better than '$25 Gift Card for $20' (I'm too old now to REMEMBER exactly what it was, but, it was a good deal - maybe $50 for $25?) Also, the last time (*YEARS* ago!) that I used Discover for a Staples 'Certificate', IIRC, it had an Expiration Date.
It was two for one -- I also recall $25 Cash Back for a $50 certificate. You were limited to one certificate per transaction per the certificate fine print, but my Staples never enforced that. Those were the days! LOL
TakeTheActive said:   I never know when a Staples Deal that I'd be interested in will pop up. Thus, when the NEED the '$25 for $20' arises, I can never get it fast enough to use on the current Hot Deal.
They happen every Thursday. If you consume what Staples sells, the Cash Back system gives you 20% off their best sales. Just put the gift cards in your glove box.
TakeTheActive said:   Am I missing something?
I think you are.

$20 in Cash Back buys a $25 Staples gift card. You can spend these like cash. So, let's say you bought a TV at Best Buy for $400 via ShopDiscover. You'd get $20 Cash Back which would be worth $25 at Staples. That's free money. You'd have to earn $35 dollars to buy the merchandise you paid for with a click on a shopdiscover link. Where can you earn $35 per minute tax free?

Staples has a rewards program. Lots of stuff is 'free after rewards' during the year. For instance, you could have gotten two 20 packs of Duracell batteries free after rewards seven times last year. You could have also gotten a $25 gift card from Duracell for purchasing $100 worth of batteries. If you bought all seven sets of batteries, you would have 280 batteries (AA or AAA), a $25 gift card, $196 in rewards, and $196 towards premier status -- all for $196. Paying for this with your Discover card would earn you $1.96 in Cash Back.

When your rewards check comes in, you can spend it on anything at Staples (BUT you will not earn rewards or Cash Back on items purchased with rewards). You have a couple months to spend the check (six months for premier members). If you need something, that's great, but if you do not need something, it's easy to monetize rewards by buying stuff that is free after rebate. 8.5x11 Photo paper is frequently free after rebate. Imagine how many photos you would print if only ink was free (keep reading), but a lot of software is also free after rebate -- anti virus, tax software, etc. These often have crazy rebate limits like no more than ten per household. So you use your rewards to buy ten copies of some antivirus software and they send you a visa gift card that you can spend at WalMart or market basket.

So you took the rewards you earned for buying the batteries and purchased antivirus software which you installed on all your computers. Now, for your $196 you got 280 batteries (AA or AAA), a $25 gift card, $196 in rewards, $196 in groceries, virus protection for all your computers, and $196 towards premier status. (Had you spent that gift card at Staples, say, on a kindle fire hd, you would now have $392 towards your premier status.)

If a new years resolution is to organize your life, boxes and storage containers and binders are free after rewards in January. If you got all the free after rewards items on the front page of next week's ad, you would spend $215. (Another ad will come soon with different boxes.) Free, sturdy boxes with covers and handles that are all the same size and shape.

Then there's paper. Reams are free after rebate or rewards all year and boxes are free after rewards a couple times a year. Photo paper is free or nearly free ($1) after easy rebate about once a month.

Let's talk about ink and printers. Staples lets you recycle 10 ink carts per month for $2 each in rewards. Premier members can recycle 20. $2x10x12=$240/yr. $2x20x12=$480 per year. Staples does not care what ink carts you recycle or where you get them. You can collect them at work or buy them on eBay.

Throughout the year, Staples runs double and triple rewards when you buy HP ink in the same day you recycle, so, if you have an HP printer, you will never pay for ink again. Or paper. Wouldn't it be cool to get a color printer with a lifetime supply of ink and paper for $95? Use the $5 off $25 in next week's ad to grab the HP Officejet Pro 8100, get a box of ink carts off eBay, and get the two $1 after easy rebate reams of paper in next week's ad and you will be on your way.

None of this happens automatically. You have to get a Discover card, think to use shop discover, sign up for a Staples rewards, look for deals in the ads, and show up once a month with a box of ink cartridges. On the other hand, it's pretty nice to buy a computer or a tablet with rewards and not ever worry about the cost of paper or ink.

In the last two years, I've redeemed $1440 in Cash Back as $1800 in Staples gift certificates. That's my new i5 desktop ($400), my wife's i5 laptop ($400), my son's i5 laptop ($450), and three kindle Fires ($600)! During the same period, I received $934 in rewards. That's two more kindle Fires ($400) and $500 that I spent outside the store (Visa gift cards and rebates). At the same time I did not pay for paper or ink.

See what you spent on ink and paper last year. Think about computers and other Staples products you might purchase in the next year. Calculate 5% of what you spent at Best Buy, WalMart, Home Depot, and Lowes last year. Maybe spending a couple hours a month working Staples and Discover could be a lucrative part time job for you!

Happy spending!

The $50 for $25 was back in the days before the quarterly 5% of certain categories. It took several thousand in spending to reach the max of 1% CashBack. So, they were giving double reward but really it was based on a poor Cash Back percentage. Many visa/mastercard cc's were giving 1% so it wasn't worth it at all to use Discover. That's why they changed incentive strategy. Now, they can't afford to double rewards with the 5% quarterly categories.

Skipping 13 Messages...
jatan1986 said:   Was able to signup from the account profile page

only thing under Rewards options was the quarterly 5%:
January March 2013 Restaurants and Movies

so this extra 2% is targeted

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014