Discover IT card

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Looks like a discover card with 1% on other categories vs the paltry amount they give now.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/

Trying to see what is removed from the standard discover card. So far I see no 0% BT opportunities.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Who said anything about general use? My Discover IT will still get very targeted use; it will just see a little more ac... (more)

cpaynter (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 7:26p) |

If you do not use the card for general use, the Discover IT doesn't give you any more CashBack than the Discover More.

HiLine (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 7:43p) |

Not true. ShopDiscover purchases earn regular CashBack in addition to the ShopDiscover %. So with the IT card, you get... (more)

cpaynter (Jan. 23, 2013 @ 10:12p) |

archived thread on this card
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1206823/
Discover is starting to change their non bonus rewards to 1%. Be careful which application page you use.

The front page doesn't show any BT offer, but clicking on the terms and conditions gets you this:

"APR for Balance Transfers 0% intro APR for 14 months from date of first transfer, for transfers under this offer that post to your account by April 10, 2013.
After the intro APR expires, your APR will be 10.99% to 19.99% based on your creditworthiness. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate."

So yes, 0% BT for 14 mo. til April 10.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the BT fee: "Balance Transfer 3% of the amount of each transfer."

The new Discover IT card offers a full 1% Cash Back on non 5% category purchases. Is it true of existing Discover cards or are they still on that stupid .25% for the first $3000 spent tier system?

You're aware Discover has various cards, each with a different Cash Back structure right?

cashbackcardsonly said:   The new Discover IT card offers a full 1% Cash Back on non 5% category purchases. Is it true of existing Discover cards or are they still on that stupid .25% for the first $3000 spent tier system?

The More card still has that limitation. I called and switched my More card to the It card. The It card seems just a little better than the More card since it offers the 1% CashBack minimum on everything and still has the same 5% bonus categories.

I don't even see the Discover More card on their website anymore. Anyone know if they're just planning to switch existing cardholders to the "It" card (which basically seems like a slightly better "More" card)?

All Discover personal cards were discontinued in favor of the IT. The IT is basically the More card without the $3000 0.25% tier.

It's about time they got rid of that tier system. I only used my Discover card on their 5% categories and for on-line purchases, other wise it was hidden away to prevent accidental usage. Still have better cards in my wallet, but it won't hurt as much to use the Discover card now.

hadron said:   I don't even see the Discover More card on their website anymore. Anyone know if they're just planning to switch existing cardholders to the "It" card (which basically seems like a slightly better "More" card)?

I don't think they're switching anyone automatically. I had to request that they switch us to the new 1% card. They seemed happy to do it.

The strange thing about the It card is that there are no raised letters or numbers on it. In fact, it doesn't have anything printed on the front side. Your name and account number are printed on the back side above your signature. I guess this makes sense since no one uses the old carbon copy slider machines any more. It makes the card a little thinner in your wallet.

dataadmin said:   The strange thing about the It card is that there are no raised letters or numbers on it. In fact, it doesn't have anything printed on the front side. Your name and account number are printed on the back side above your signature. I guess this makes sense since no one uses the old carbon copy slider machines any more. It makes the card a little thinner in your wallet.
Seems to be the new style. The Chase Sapphire Preferred has it, but that card is thicker and heavier.

Just FYI: I converted my More to an It earlier today via online chat no problem. Then, live chat was unavailable after I was done, so I couldn't convert my fiance's card. I just logged into my fiance's account to convert via live chat, and was told by "Gabe" that it wasn't possible via live chat. I told him, typing for my fiance, that "my fiance (me) just converted his to an It card via live chat today," and Gabe told me it was impossible. So I X'ed out on Gabe, and got Jacy. Jacy was more than happy to help me and it took all of 30 seconds.

So, if you get someone via live chat saying "no," then close the window and try to find someone else.

bozo007 said:   dataadmin said:   The strange thing about the It card is that there are no raised letters or numbers on it. In fact, it doesn't have anything printed on the front side. Your name and account number are printed on the back side above your signature. I guess this makes sense since no one uses the old carbon copy slider machines any more. It makes the card a little thinner in your wallet.
Seems to be the new style. The Chase Sapphire Preferred has it, but that card is thicker and heavier.

That's got metal sandwiched in between plastic, no?

The Marriott w/ chip, CSP, and the Slate are all like this--with the numbers "engraved" into it, versus embossed.

gloreglabert said:   All Discover personal cards were discontinued in favor of the IT. The IT is basically the More card without the $3000 0.25% tier.

What's funny is that if I log into my Discover IT account and look at the CashBack FAQ, it still indicates that the .25%/$3000 tier applies and that purchases at Sam's Club and WalMart always only get 1%. I was confused by this, since I switched an old Miles card to the IT specifically to take advantage of the 1% on everything, then once the conversion was done (but before I got my card), I logged into my account, which showed that my account was now IT, and it still showed the .25% stuff. I figured I must have been misinformed about the 1%, but the Miles card had been pretty useless anyway, so what the heck. Then today I got the new cards (via FedEx, no less), and the mailer with the cards indicated 1% on everything. When I called to activate I asked specifically about the tier and was told, no more tier; it's 1% from the first dollar, and no exclusions for Sam's or WM. Still when I log on to my Discover account, it shows the new IT card, but still the .25% rewards information.

So I'm happy I made the switch, and will take advantage of the 1%. I don't plan to make this a primary card in my wallet, but it will be choice for whatever the 5% quarterly categories are (supplemented by our Discover More cards if we bump into the cap) and whatever monthly or holiday specials pop up, and it'll be my top card for spending at Sam's Club, and also small purchases + cash over at WalMart.

Chris.

I don't understand why $22.5 max per year can get people so excited.

HiLine said:   I don't understand why $22.5 max per year can get people so excited.

Explain? Discover was not my primary card. I used it only for 5% categories and 5% minimum on-line purchases and made over $100 last year.

HiLine said:   I don't understand why $22.5 max per year can get people so excited.
Because $22.50 is $22.50. I pay my mortgage on the 15th instead of the 1st each and every month because I earn an additional .72 in interest in my account. If I decided to short my payment .72, they wouldn't let me slide, so why not maximize one's earnings, particularly while playing by the rules?!

People do a lot more for far less...

First of all, sign-up bonuses are usually in the hundreds, so $22.50 per year is relatively insignificant. Second of all, there are many cards out there that offer at least 1.5% Cash Back on everything. It's hard to imagine the $22.5 per year difference makes people turn to Discover for general use all of a sudden.

HiLine said:   First of all, sign-up bonuses are usually in the hundreds, so $22.50 per year is relatively insignificant. Second of all, there are many cards out there that offer at least 1.5% Cash Back on everything. It's hard to imagine the $22.5 per year difference makes people turn to Discover for general use all of a sudden.

Who said anything about general use? My Discover IT will still get very targeted use; it will just see a little more action than before. $22.50 is $22.50. If I could make a 2 minute chat to customer service and get $22.50 more out of one of my BofA, Chase or Citi Cards, I'd do that too.

Chris.

If you do not use the card for general use, the Discover IT doesn't give you any more CashBack than the Discover More.

HiLine said:   If you do not use the card for general use, the Discover IT doesn't give you any more CashBack than the Discover More.

Not true. ShopDiscover purchases earn regular CashBack in addition to the ShopDiscover %. So with the IT card, you get the ShopDiscover + 1% instead of .25%. Also, Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa or AMEX. So if you don't happen to have a MasterCard that gives a good % at Sam's, the Discover IT is a good alternative, and would give you 1% instead of .25%.

Chris.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014