Excel Budget for 2013!

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
For the past few years, I've shared a budget I created in Excel. Here is the latest version which is pretty much last year's version, but hopefully mostly bug free.

This budget is quite flexible but is meant to be fairly manual, and should not be compared to Mint / Yodlee / Latest iPhone app. It is a way to record each transaction you make, categorize it, and really get a good view of your spending habits, WITHOUT having to share your personal financial data with any web service.

It is excel protected so that the formulas in the sheet don't get messed up. Password is "jginsing" for anyone that wants to look under the hood.

Let me know of any bugs or questions on features.

100% free of charge.. this is Fatwallet!

For those that want to put in the effort, it can be a really great tool - it has been for me. For those that don't, at least take the New Year to think about budgeting in general and look into the various tools out there.

Happy budgeting!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Thanks for the budget! I've been filling it out faithfully all month long. It's sobering to see where my money goes beca... (more)

c0rinne (Jan. 31, 2013 @ 12:03a) |

Can you share it in google doc? I do not have Microsoft office suite.

Update: NVM. I import it to my google doc

bbmak (Jan. 31, 2013 @ 12:06a) |

There are line items for each tax thats taken out, but I just put the net income on my spreadsheet, makes it easier to d... (more)

lotusgardener (Feb. 02, 2013 @ 5:06p) |

thank you bro .. for this one..
Happy New Year...

deleted ..double post 1st day

The 'redistribute' is a neat add!

This is an excellent tool. I used the 2012 version and it was great.

Thank you! We appreciate your sharing.

Thx op! Mint has been giving me a lot of problems syncing my accts properly lately, this saves me from having to start from scratch

Here is a copy of the worksheet I have used for the past 6 years to help meet my goals.

Thanks for sharing this folks.

Someone alerted me to a bug... updated a new version in the original post.

What does RD and Type mean? What's their purpose?

Edit: I suppose one future improvement would add the feature that allow one spouse to have uneven income and/or working in March instead of January. for people that are in-between jobs.

cr3s said:   What does RD and Type mean? What's their purpose?

Edit: I suppose one future improvement would add the feature that allow one spouse to have uneven income and/or working in March instead of January. for people that are in-between jobs.

If you hover over RD and Type, there is a pop up that has a description.
RD - Redistribution type - you can set the unused portion of your budget to be redistributed over the remaining months. For instance, you might want to budget 2k for travel over the year, but won't be using it every month.
Type - that's for income, if it's set use A (Automatic) and you don't need to put an entry in each month. If it is different each month, use M (manual) and you put an entry each month for the income. This might help you for your uneven income issue.

Naft11 said:   cr3s said:   What does RD and Type mean? What's their purpose?

If you hover over RD and Type, there is a pop up that has a description.
RD - Redistribution type - you can set the unused portion of your budget to be redistributed over the remaining months. For instance, you might want to budget 2k for travel over the year, but won't be using it every month.
Type - that's for income, if it's set use A (Automatic) and you don't need to put an entry in each month. If it is different each month, use M (manual) and you put an entry each month for the income. This might help you for your uneven income issue.

Thanks for the follow up. I'm using Open Office (too cheap to buy XLSX) and do not see the description. This explanation really helps a lot.

Thanks OP.

barsotti0 said:   Here is a copy of the worksheet I have used for the past 6 years to help meet my goals.

Holy OCD, Batman! I may start using this in conjunction with my Excel Checkbook. Let's see where (or on whom ) I'm really overspending.

Green for the awesome spreadsheet and making my life easier!

Green. This looks like a really nice tool. Thank you for sharing!

awesome

Am I the only one stilling using Microsoft Money for all of this?

Green for you, OP! We have been using this spreadsheet tool for the past several years since the birth of our first son. It was instrumental toward getting our finances in check while we adjusted to being a single-income household. Thanks for continuing to maintain this each year.

I have used the PearBudget spreadsheet for about 6 years running. They offer an online budgeting tool now (for a monthly service fee) but I prefer their original spreadsheet which was always given for free. I like how it categorizes expenses as Regular, Irregular and Variable. Aesthetically pleasing is a bonus.

It has been written about in the Wall Street Journal, etc.

Big time green! I'm going to try to convert my budget to this. DH will love it, too! I need monthly accounting; he wants a big picture budget.

You rock! Big Green!

Naft11 said:   Someone alerted me to a bug... updated a new version in the original post.

Thank for the spreadsheet, very useful!

I'm not sure if I have the latest version, but it seems that for January, if you use redistributable = "Y", the budgeted amount, and hence, the remaining amount, doesn't calculate correctly.

sublimebri said:   Am I the only one stilling using Microsoft Money for all of this?

Probably one of the few. MS dropped support and updates for the product years ago. I still miss it and greatly preferred it over Quicken.

I used the Money software to track all the activity on my accounts though, which is a large part of what was lost when MS quit supporting it. So stuck with Quicken now.

Thanks for the budget! I've been filling it out faithfully all month long. It's sobering to see where my money goes because I've already been budget obsessed since last Jan., and particularly since this past May.

Question: for the paychecks. Do you input the amount made each month before taxes are taken out and then include the taxes as a separate line item or only the adjusted amount?

Can you share it in google doc? I do not have Microsoft office suite.

Update: NVM. I import it to my google doc

c0rinne said:   Thanks for the budget! I've been filling it out faithfully all month long. It's sobering to see where my money goes because I've already been budget obsessed since last Jan., and particularly since this past May.

Question: for the paychecks. Do you input the amount made each month before taxes are taken out and then include the taxes as a separate line item or only the adjusted amount?

There are line items for each tax thats taken out, but I just put the net income on my spreadsheet, makes it easier to deal with.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014