• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
When I logged into my mint.com account there was a link to betterment. If you click it you can see the offer. I opened an account with them before so I'm not eligible for this.

A special offer just for Mint.com customers
Bonus Offer +
$25

when you open a Betterment account with $250
Hide

The offer is valid only for new individual non-IRA accounts with Betterment. To qualify for the bonus, you must make an initial deposit of $250 within 90 days of signup and not withdraw that initial deposit for 90 days. Your participation is subject to the following terms and agreements: This promotion is not valid with any other offers and is non-transferrable. Offer available to U.S. Residents only. Betterment reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time, to limit account bonuses you are eligible to receive, and to refuse or recover any promotion award if Betterment determines that it was obtained under wrongful or fraudulent circumstances, that inaccurate or incomplete information was provided in opening the account, or that any terms of the Betterment Account Agreements have been violated.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

I'm not eligible either. It was an easy $25 when I did it though. And the bonus actually posted a few days before the initial deposit even went through!

is this offer supposed to show when you log on to Mint account? i did, but nothing happened?

credit check? deposit via CC?

It showed when I clicked the link to bettermint from mint.com It didn't show up in mint.com

This is what you see in mint.com:
Happy New Year

You could earn even more with an investment account. Get a Betterment account that automatically invests your savings into a mix of stocks and bonds.

AugustFour said:   is this offer supposed to show when you log on to Mint account? i did, but nothing happened?

Thanks! But this is no free account:

Annual Fee: 0.35% | 0.25% | 0.15%
Minimum Balance: $0 | $10,000 | $100,000
Monthly Deposit: $100/mo. minimum | Optional | Optional

What if I don't have $10,000 to invest and I can't deposit $100 per month?

The Betterment Builder account is marked by a commitment to growth, and requires automatic deposit of at least $100 per month. You still have complete access to your money and can withdraw at any time, without a penalty.

If you can't make a commitment to use auto-deposit for at least $100 per month, you'll be upgraded to the Better plan. Customers in the Better plan that do not have at least $10,000 in their account will pay $3 per month in lieu of the annual fee.

The $10,000 minimum is across all of your Betterment goals (including IRAs). The $100 per month auto deposit is also across all goals, and, can be set at any frequency (i.e., weekly, bi-weekly, monthly) as long as the monthly total is at least $100.

I opened a separate thread on Betterment at:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1254257/

only to learn the $100 offer that had attracted me was no longer available. I did discuss their somewhat unique product there. Here is a general comment on their $25 offer which is apparently still available through various routes.

Although labeled a brokerage (which legally it is), the firm really offers a unique product which is a cheap way to hold a diversified, regularly rebalanced portfolio. They charge annual fees rather than commissions. On the $10,000 investment it is to be .25% per year (which is $25 per year, or $2.25 per month). Smaller accounts cost you $3.00 per month.

For the bonus hunter, the smaller $250 investment would appear to yield an extra 10% in value, which over 2 months is 60% per year. A slightly better way to look at it would be you get an extra $25, reduced by perhaps $6 in fees (I am figuring you will be there for 3 months, with the first month free). This reduces the profit to perhaps $19, and the annualized extra return to 30%.

However, for this small bonus the more relevant question is the return on your time, and it is only $19 for the work of opening the account, funding it, and closing it. This is not very high, unless you really need money, or do want to try out their rather unique service service.

Since that initial posting, it has become clear that they sensibly limit you to one bonus, which hopefully (for them) is enough to induce you to try out their service. I personally do expect to try them.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014