• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Friends: I remember a few years ago when there was an obscure tax credit for "4-wheeled electric cars" of $4500, I think it was, and the definition of "electric cars" was expansive enough to include certain tricked-out golf carts. Suddenly there was a booming business in golf carts that cost - funny enough - $4500. I missed out on that deal.

But the recent DodgeTheFiscalCliff authorization bill contains some similar stuff, and it occurs to me that the braniacs here on FW mat have identified even more.

I'm particularly interested in this one, which might result in me scoring an electric scooter this year

If you have found a tasty tax break in the FiscalCliff bill - let's help each other out....

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I wonder if the costs of converting a car to biodiesel, and the equipment needed to do it, on a residential property would qualify? Could make an incentive to pick up a used 340D.

Isn't the 2-3 wheeled vehicle a %10 tax credit with a maximum of $2500?

I am curious what this might include
"credit for energy-efficient existing homes"

jrockmn said:   I am curious what this might include

Second that. Those Costco LED bulbs might look more appealing if they qualify for tax credits/rebates.

Does anyone know if CA replenished the electric vehicle fund? I believe it was a $900 credit, stacked with the fiscal cliff motorcycle deal it would be a decent discount (I'm considering an electric scooter for commuting in the South Bay).

PMonkeyDishwasher said:   jrockmn said:   I am curious what this might include

Second that. Those Costco LED bulbs might look more appealing if they qualify for tax credits/rebates.

yeah is cash for caulkers making a comeback??

Cash for clunkers was a flawed plan from the start. It took a lot of decent cars off the road, and put them in junkyards to keep other gas guzzlers on the road longer.

The issue I see with having a credit for any converted vehicle, is that any gasoline car made after the 1980s could easily be converted to e85 (or methanol), and according to some, ethanol costs more to make than it saves, and it's just bad for engines. So anyway, the retrofit stuff could be easy, but then you could have tons of people doing it, but it wouldn't guarantee they actually always run the vehicle on used vegetable oil or ethanol or whatever it is. Or the retrofit could be botched up and create death traps and we just shouldn't delve into all of that.

It's going to get a lot more into politics, but a total revamp of the tax system would solve the issues. Change who pays, what they pay, change what deductions will still exist, etc.

Cash for clunkers also saved the auto industry
Getting rid of the cheap used car market had spurred lots of new car purchase , ESP since the auto loan credit freeze thawed out and it's once again easy to get 0% or 1.9% financing

Now as a buyer of cheap used cars , I'm pissed the supply dried up. But I'm also happy the auto industry didn't collapse and there are safer cars on the Road. I'm not even talking about mpg or anything else - many of the clunker cars were rolling death traps as people did not care for them - with bald tires, bad brakes etc. those idiotic car owners are the same ones that cause accidents , and I'm happy they are mindlessly tooling around in newer cars with good tires brakes etc

Cash for clunkers also hurt the poor. A 10-year-old Honda Civic suddenly became $10,000.

vickh said: yeah is cash for caulkers making a comeback??
thumpergeek said:   Cash for clunkers was a flawed plan from the start.
Two different things. Vickh was asking about energy efficiency credits.

greling said:   Cash for clunkers also hurt the poor. A 10-year-old Honda Civic suddenly became $10,000.
Not true, -first hand experience, -twice. And I can work a deal like nobody else.

If you got 10G's for a 10-year old civic, then either it was garaged in the south and driven aboput 500 miles a year for 10 years, or your dealer buried the discount you would have otherwise gotten annyhow in telling you it was worth that.

greling said:   Cash for clunkers also hurt the poor. A 10-year-old Honda Civic suddenly became $10,000.
That's why we ended up with a new 2012 Civic. A used one of a 3 years and 60+k was withing a few grand of new. But that's alright, it will stay in the family for 10 years, 200k or totaled. Every time we found one listed at or below market price it had a horrible car fax history. It has been a great car pumping out 35+ mpg for my wife city and 41+ mpg at 70mph on the highway. Now only if we didn't buy it 2 weeks after they were out we could have saved a few grand buying a 2012 near when they 2013s came out.

FWIW, that was a problem well before cash for clunkers thanks to the people over-inflating the value of certain cars, Hondas and Toyotas in particular.

Back to the topic please...

I have a 10 year old Civic. It is available at the deeply discounted price of $9,000, if you would like to purchase. I might even throw in a GPS at that price.

PMonkeyDishwasher said:   jrockmn said:   I am curious what this might include

http://energytaxincentives.org/

My new ENERGY STAR windows will qualify. Yay!

There are no lighting systems included under this program. But for the most part, upgrading your light bulbs from Compact FLourescent will start saving you money after 10 months or so of regular use.

looks like they're related to
•Windows , insulation, air sealing homes and duct sealing ;
•Air conditioners, heat pumps, furnaces and water heaters.

•New and retrofitted commercial buildings that use half the energy of a building built to model codes, scheduled to extend until 12/31/13
•Plug-in electric drive vehicles scheduled to extend until 12/31/16
•Combined heat and power systems scheduled to extend until 12/31/16
•On-site renewable energy systems including ground-source heat pumps, scheduled to extend until 12/31/16
•Fuel cells and microturbines scheduled to extend until 12/31/16

There are also two additional credits. Not for the typical FWF member though. One is for home builders that reduce energy compared to the 2006 IECC (which is feasible and cost effective) in new construction, the other is for manufacturers of refrigerators, washers&dryers, and dishwashers.

to follow up on that. It looks like they just re-upped the old 2009 and 2010 tax credits. WHich referenced the 2009 IECC. It was brand new and no local jurisdictions had adopted it. Now the 2009 IECC or equivalent is adopted in 40 or so states (some states are starting to adopt the 2012 IECC which has been published for 2 years).
So the government just gave everyone a tax credit for obeying the law.
nice...

imbatman said:   PMonkeyDishwasher said:   jrockmn said:   I am curious what this might include

http://energytaxincentives.org/

My new ENERGY STAR windows will qualify. Yay!

There are no lighting systems included under this program. But for the most part, upgrading your light bulbs from Compact FLourescent will start saving you money after 10 months or so of regular use.

looks like they're related to
•Windows , insulation, air sealing homes and duct sealing ;
•Air conditioners, heat pumps, furnaces and water heaters.

•New and retrofitted commercial buildings that use half the energy of a building built to model codes, scheduled to extend until 12/31/13
•Plug-in electric drive vehicles scheduled to extend until 12/31/16
•Combined heat and power systems scheduled to extend until 12/31/16
•On-site renewable energy systems including ground-source heat pumps, scheduled to extend until 12/31/16
•Fuel cells and microturbines scheduled to extend until 12/31/16

Just FYI for anyone considering a new air conditioner: According to that site, the tax credit is $300 for anything at least 16 SEER.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014