• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Have not seen it being mentioned. Use Dec12Get200 to open account and get $200 bonus. An easy 2%. Even works with custodian account.

http://content.sharebuilder.com/mgdcon/jump/consumer/xsell/dmt/d...

Fine Print said: You must have a U.S. Tax I.D. (Social Security Number) to open a ShareBuilder Account. Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. limits one promotional award per unique Customer or custodial beneficiary. Not valid with IRA or Education Savings Accounts. Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. will deposit a $200 bonus approximately 4-6 weeks after your first $10,000 deposit. The $200 bonus from Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. is not available for withdrawal for 120 days after it is awarded to your account. Assets transferred into the account to qualify for this promotion must remain in the account (minus any losses related to trading or market volatility) for at least six (6) months or your award may be reclaimed by Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time and to refuse or recover any promotion award if Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. determines that it was obtained under wrongful or fraudulent circumstances, that inaccurate or incomplete information was provided in opening the account, or that any term of Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc.'s Account Agreement has been violated. Offer expires 01/10/2013.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Update on how they froze accounts on customers since 2008, at least, after they took our $10,000 and then claimed to fin... (more)

ProfessorEd (Feb. 16, 2013 @ 10:25a) |

deleted

AugustFour (Feb. 16, 2013 @ 11:17a) |

Looks like the bonus is now at $100, and you need at least $5,000 and it needs to be in the account for at least 6 month... (more)

bankdealsrule (May. 05, 2013 @ 1:15p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I don't see anything requiring you to be a "new" customer. I have a Sharebuilder account I opened about 2 years ago for a bonus, has been sitting at $0 balance for a while now. Anyone else sign up for this, having an existing account already?

same question: as an existing shareholder, can i apply for this offer?

Can any of the 10k be lost if you don't trade?

My guess is you get the typical SIPC / FDIC insurance depending on their sweep option.

Sharebuilder account holders. Any ideas if Sharebuilder offers NTF funds? Like money market / bond funds?

The $200 bonus from Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. is not available for withdrawal for 120 days after it is awarded to your account. Assets transferred into the account to qualify for this promotion must remain in the account (minus any losses related to trading or market volatility) for at least six (6) months or your award may be reclaimed by Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time and to refuse or recover any promotion award if Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. determines that it was obtained under wrongful or fraudulent circumstances, that inaccurate or incomplete information was provided in opening the account, or that any term of Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc.ís Account Agreement has been violated. Offer expires 01/10/2013.

"Capital One ShareBuilder, Inc. limits one promotional award per unique Customer or custodial beneficiary."

Not clear if this rule includes any previous awards or just applies to this offer.

Does anybody have experience receiving multiple ShareBuilder bonuses for the same name ?

Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle to commit 10,000 for 6+ months to pick up $200. Maybe it's worth it if you are planning to do more than just park your money there. I prefer my money either liquid, or invested with the possibility of getting a decent return, and this is neither.

Of course this is liquid and decent return. They are not asking you to make any trades. Just deposit the money there and leave it, no need to buy any stocks. $200 makes is 4% annual return... pretty decent I think.

Kinasharma01 said:   Of course this is liquid and decent return. They are not asking you to make any trades. Just deposit the money there and leave it, no need to buy any stocks. $200 makes is 4% annual return... pretty decent I think.

You can also get a 1/2% interest on the 10k while it sits there. Just switch your Cash Sweep Preference from money market fund to FDIC insured.

Go to Accounts, Overview, Profile & Settings, Account Settings, Cash Sweep Preference, Edit.

I guess this is a good place to post this:

I opened a SB account last year for a bonus. Deposited whatever was required (I don't even think there was a minimum, just opening the account) via ACH, received bonus, waited however long I had to wait to keep the account opened, and then attempted to close the account, transferring the money to a different account than I funded from. Everything looked like it was going through. Then received a secure message from them:
"There's been a change of plans. Your recent request for funds could not be completed as instructed. Instead, the disbursement was completed as an electronic transfer to the originating checking/savings account. For details, see the icon to the right." This was at least a few months after opening.
I replied asking what was going on, and that I was concerned that they were just doing as they see fit with my withdrawal. I got this response:
"I understand you concern over the message you received about your funds request. We do not transfer funds wherever we like but there are certain guidelines that govern brokerage account. For one these are not transfer account. You cannot transfer money into the account, not use the account at all, and request to transfer the funds to a different bank. This follows the patten of money laundering (I am not suggesting that this is what you are doing, only that you are subject to these rules that prevent money laundering).
I'm not sure what my point is. But I guess, if you're only depositing funds for the bonus and doing no other transactions, it might make sense to withdraw to a $0 balance to the account you funded from. Then close the account. HTH.

Good looking out BBB.

Edit... Wait a minute

KYBOSH said:   Edit... Wait a minute..Edit... lol...

Edit: I give up ... It's late!

Okay okay okay okay.... 2% after the 1st 6 month and not much more after that.

Ha!

You guys should just buy some kind of diversified stock mutual fund. Obviously, the value could drop but it's not like cash is getting you much of anything these days. Could try to find a fund that is a lot of dividend paying stocks/ utilities, which will tend to be less volitile.

One downside, though, is if Sharebuilder charges you to then transfer those investments out of the account. Given that they are stocks or mutual funds, they may charge a fee to move the assets to another broker.

Silverthunder said:   it's not like cash is getting you much of anything these days.This thread includes a way to earn 4% on $10k cash...

These guys screwed me out of 2 bonuses last year. The first bonus was denied because my initial deposit was mysteriously delayed a few hours so that it did not post before the deadline. And the second bonus was denied because I'd already signed up for the first bonus, even though I never got it!

1099?

Yes they will send 1099. At least every year in the past they have for accounts with over $10 in bonuses, dividends, interest. This is the first tax year cycle that capital one has owned them but I would assume it would continue.

BingBlangBlaow said:   Silverthunder said:   it's not like cash is getting you much of anything these days.This thread includes a way to earn 4% on $10k cash...

I'd really like to know what calculator you are using as $200 is 2% of 10k.

tjguitar85 said:   BingBlangBlaow said:   Silverthunder said:   it's not like cash is getting you much of anything these days.This thread includes a way to earn 4% on $10k cash...

I'd really like to know what calculator you are using as $200 is 2% of 10k.

I was actually doing it in my head. You have to keep the $10k in the account for 6 months to earn $200. That's a 4% annual rate.
Would you rather earn $200 on $10k over 6 months, or $225 on $10k over 12 months?

ETA: On a lot of bonuses, I don't really consider the annual rate of return. Some checking bonuses posted in the last year or so have been as good as $150 or so for just opening an account. Maybe you have to deposit $25, but the bonus hits immediately and there is no minimum amount of time to keep the account open. In that case, I'm not going to think of it as 7,200% (if you kept the $25 in there for a month). I just think of it as $150 for doing whatever it takes to open/close the account. But when we're talking about a $10k investment for a 6 month period, the rate starts to matter. In other words, it starts to approach 0%. I can just leave $10k in my GLCU RCA and earn the same $200 over the next 6 months. Sure, there's a little work to be done to earn it (and it's not guaranteed), but it's not worth opening this account for this bonus (which I might not be eligible for because of past bonuses anyway).

I opened it for the bonus. Easy $$. I had been wanting to put some more $$ into a mutual fund anyway, so now I'll just buy the ETF version and get $200 for it. This is a way better deal than the ones posted at http://thefinancebuff.com/huge-bonus-offers-from-brokers-fidelit...

1. One kind of bonus per customer is enforced. 2. This is a 1099 form reward. 3. Got mine promptly before. 4. No way to safely earn more than 0.5% annualized on free cash (more than credit unions generally tho.) 5. Transferring securities out to another broker through ACAT is a few bucks. 6. If you want to buy and hold one stock once, $4 commission is the best use of this. 7. Otherwise, brokerage aspects are somewhat lacking as compared with the competition, not for traders. 8. Designed to buy 12 securities directly per month, dollar-cost-averaged to fractional shares tracking all the paperwork. Investor-oriented diversified Dividend Reinvestment and Stock Purchase Plan for small portfolios.

Where does it say that funding the $10k can be done by 1/17 rather than 1/10?

I opened an account and received confirmation. Does anyone know if the following trade promotion can be stacked?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1245267/

I clicked on the link and it is showing me my current promo code of Dec12Get200.

dbl118 said:   Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle to commit 10,000 for 6+ months to pick up $200. Maybe it's worth it if you are planning to do more than just park your money there. I prefer my money either liquid, or invested with the possibility of getting a decent return, and this is neither.

The 4% annual return is decent for a risk free investment, but only moderately impressive.

It is attractive for someone who would be planning to invest anyhow. He just invests $10,000 through them that he would have invested through another brokerage. One spends $4.00 to buy something he might have bought anyhow on a Tuesday and then pays the commission to sell after the required holding period, although you may chose to hold it there indefinitely, and you are approximately $200 richer (minus commissions and the trouble of opening the accounts).

It looks like you can open custodial accounts for your children with each getting the $200, and if you were planning to give them substantial money anyhow (possibly to reduce income tax on the earnings and reduce inheritance taxes), or if they already have the money in a UTMA you control. This may leave them $200 better off than they would be otherwise. Of course, this involves actual gifts which they can spend at a relatively early age (usually 21, but depending on state law).

I called them.

I had opened an account in 2005 I believe, and I recall there was some incentive. I had been left with an account with a position of less than $11 value, and with a roughly $10 fee to sell, it had been sitting.

The representative could not tell me whether I could open a new one for certain, saying the terms seemed to prevent it, but he had seen some slip by. He thought if it was a problem, I might not be able to open the account, or at least would get a warning, but he was not certain, and that it might refuse the $200 when the date came around.

He did say while the opening deadline was the 10th, you did have to the 17th to fund it.

I discussed custodial accounts and he seemed to think new one would get the $200,since the child would be the owner. Several sons have accounts with values of under $6.00. Their positions can be sold a special commission rate which leaves them with $.01 in cash. Thus, the positions have been held in case they either become worth something, or someday they offer a special deal to get rid of such accounts.If sold all of these positions would generate a capital gains loss which would have some value as an offset to other capital gains.

I asked when accounts got sent to the state as abandoned, and he said occasional contact (logging in) prevented that even if there was no activity.

I discussed how the child who was the owner would get the money at 21 (the age limit where I live) and there appeared some paper work (proof of age, and normally the custodian (typically a parent) also did some. He did not know what happened when the parent was not alive, incapacitated, or did not co-operate. It did occur to me that if you did give a child $10,000 or more, you might be able to keep the account secret and not fully cooperate if at 21 they seemed likely to waste the money, rather than using it for a purpose you had planned (such as college).

As far as custodial account goes, I suggest you clean out the $10K on things like non-reimbursed after school programs, enrichment programs, piano lessons etc. I believe you can even use it on laptops for the kid(iPad?). Just make sure you keep good record of how you use the money. Since kids have $950 exemption, the $200 is pretty much tax free.

Using the account for such things is a possibility for those that do not wish to leave the $10,000 to a child at 21. The total work in managing the account (including the record keeping) to be perfectly legal would be large. If you were to take this approach, having a separate Orange account from when you write checks for such expenses could be done, but you could easily tie up funds in a low return bank account in order to be in a position to write a series of small checks as expenses come up.

The above strategy is most feasible when they are under age 21, but incurring college expenses. Then, a $10,000 account might easily be exhausted by a few bills.

Also, in a financial emergency, you could legally use the funds for such things that benefit your kid freeing your other funds up for other purposes(there are some legal issues here regarding the things that you are legally required to provide such as food, with the details probably varying state to state).

In general, opening $10,000 custodial accounts is probably only sensible if it is part of a long term plan to give wealth to your kids, which raises not only tax issues, but ones of how you think they will handle the money at age 21 or so (hard to predict, especially when the kids are still very young).

I had the following conversation with them.

?Doug A.: It looks like you have received a promotion in your Individual Account ending in xxxxxxx952.

. . . .

XXXX: So that would keep me from been3fitting from the promotion?

XXXX: If I opened a new joint account with my wife, would I qualify?

Doug A.: Yes there is one cash promotion per unique account type.

Doug A.: That would be a valid account type for that promotion."

There may be others who have benefited from promotions in previous year, who might be able to open joint accounts for this promotion.

I called to ask about the funding deadline, and they told me it is the same as the application deadline--01/10/2013. Why isn't the funding deadline specified in writing anywhere? I wouldn't be surprised if they later tried to not honor the promotion for people who opened before 01/10 but funded between 01/11 and 01/17.

I have seen the 1/17 deadline somewhere during the opening process. I don't think I can find it now. But I don't think there is a mistake. If you have an ING Orange Saving. The funding will complete the next day.

kickerstarter said:   I have seen the 1/17 deadline somewhere during the opening process. I don't think I can find it out. But I don't think there is a mistake. If you have an ING Orange Saving. The funding will complete the next day.

I was taking screenshots of all screens during the application process and was specifically looking for 1/17 funding deadline. It wasn't mentioned anywhere.

BingBlangBlaow said:   Silverthunder said:   it's not like cash is getting you much of anything these days.This thread includes a way to earn 4% on $10k cash...

And get accused of money laundering LOL

gacobacov said:   kickerstarter said:   I have seen the 1/17 deadline somewhere during the opening process. I don't think I can find it out. But I don't think there is a mistake. If you have an ING Orange Saving. The funding will complete the next day.

I was taking screenshots of all screens during the application process and was specifically looking for 1/17 funding deadline. It wasn't mentioned anywhere.

I found it. It is in the email I received:

Invest in stocks, mutual funds and more.

Stock reports? Check. Customizable alerts? Check. Trade on the spot? Check. Most people don't know you can get all this at ShareBuilder, plus an easy-to-use website to boot. Not to mention that $200 bonus. Take a close look. You might find a new broker while you're at it.

Portfolio guidance based on your investing goals: You know where you want to go, so try the tools that offer investing ideas to help you get there.
Website ranked #1 for usability in 2011 (see below for details): Digestible research makes decisions easier. Powerful yet straightforward tools help analyze investment choices and your portfolio.
Free instant transfers. Move money in a flash between your ING DIRECT and ShareBuilder accounts. Even see all your balances on one page.

Start investing today. If you open an account with promotion code DEC12GET200 by 1/10/13 and make a deposit of $10,000 or higher by 1/17/13, you'll get a $200 bonus.

Thanks, maybe I should call them and get them to confirm that.

ProfessorEd said:   I called them.

I had opened an account in 2005 I believe, and I recall there was some incentive. I had been left with an account with a position of less than $11 value, and with a roughly $10 fee to sell, it had been sitting.

The representative could not tell me whether I could open a new one for certain, saying the terms seemed to prevent it, but he had seen some slip by. He thought if it was a problem, I might not be able to open the account, or at least would get a warning, but he was not certain, and that it might refuse the $200 when the date came around.

He did say while the opening deadline was the 10th, you did have to the 17th to fund it.

Several sons have accounts with values of under $6.00. Their positions can be sold a special commission rate which leaves them with $.01 in cash. Thus, the positions have been held in case they either become worth something, or someday they offer a special deal to get rid of such accounts.If sold all of these positions would generate a capital gains loss which would have some value as an offset to other capital gains.

I asked when accounts got sent to the state as abandoned, and he said occasional contact (logging in) prevented that even if there was no activity.

/Q]

I went ahead and opened a joint account. I signed up for the advantage plan which gives a month free for up to 12 scheduled purchases. I plan to cancel so I pay nothing going in. Going out will cost a little less than $10. I chose to invest in a total market index ETF, IYY, and set it up for next Tuesday, choosing a funding plan that takes the money from my bank account that day automatically.

The reason for that choice (rather than another well diversified total market fund) was that it appears I can transfer small positions may family already has to this account. It appears one in my own name can be done on line. With a mailed in forms (notarized) it appears I can move three positions owned by sons to the account, with I spending the value of the accounts on each of them (I am confident there will be a way to spend about $6.00 for each of them), which I must do since the accounts are theirs. When I liquidate the IYY, it will only cost but $10, while otherwise the commissions would have essentially consumed the value of all of the accounts.

While getting the form notarized will be a nuisance, I have 6 months, and I will probably be in a bank at some point during that time. Otherwise, my sons would either lose their small investments, or would have the trouble of redeeming them for a few dollars or less ($.01 if sold today).

Skipping 15 Messages...
Looks like the bonus is now at $100, and you need at least $5,000 and it needs to be in the account for at least 6 months.
http://content.sharebuilder.com/mgdcon/jump/Web/welcome/allWT/WS/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.