• Go to page :
  • 1 2 345
  • Text Only
cr3s said:   Protip: Take screen shot of the 100k or 50k application. AMEX has a history to denying pts.I was going to say the same thing. Some people have had trouble getting bonus points from AMEX in the past year or so. I'm afraid this could turn sour for some people, but good luck to all.

Delete.

Didn't get a screenshot and now you've got me worried. I got approved for the 50K AMEX Gold Card.

Does someone have a screenshot of the Gold 50K offer? Will a screen shot from another person be acceptable if they request one?

Thanks.

Deal is dead now, FYI.

100k (127.02kB)
Disclaimer
Here is a screenshot:

Someone mentioned using a broker to trade miles for gift cards... what are the best sites for that please? Doe they work with the same principle as Plastic Jungle does?

Is this still working for anyone? I can't let it go without being sure! Bummer.. :-p

I got the AMEX offers around 10am. Now just getting capital one offers and a few others.

geo123 said:   
Also remember that you must be travelling to/from countries where Global Entry is useful. For instance, if you travel to/from Canada, you need Nexus, not Global Entry.

This is incorrect. You can use Global Entry when returning to the US from Canada.

txrandom said:   geo123 said:   
Also remember that you must be travelling to/from countries where Global Entry is useful. For instance, if you travel to/from Canada, you need Nexus, not Global Entry.

This is incorrect. You can use Global Entry when returning to the US from Canada.

It's possible that he meant places other than airports. Then he is correct.

Does anyone have a Gold screenshot? TIA

RushnRockt said:   txrandom said:   geo123 said:   

Right, the only time that GOES is useful when you are entering the US from Canada is when you go through customs at a US airport. If you cross the border in your car, you need NEXUS. Likewise, if you are flying to the US through a major Canadian city, you will go through customs in that city in Canada and will need NEXUS, not GOES.

It also goes without saying that when you are entering Canada, you need NEXUS, not GOES.

bharatiya said:   geo123 said:   bytem3 said:   Has anyone been hit with a credit report pull (soft or hard) just from entering information on their precheck page (not from applying for the card)?Yes, I did not enter my SSN but still got a soft inquiry from CreditCards.com on my TransUnion report (they don't have to have your SSN to pull credit).
Why did you enter the correct name and address if you were only trying to see the offers?
I knew what offers were there and was trying to apply.

It's just a soft inquiry anyway.

DAMN IT!!! I should have pulled the trigger this morning...it's gone now. All I get are Cap One offers...

I called AMEX and they confirmed my 100k bonus. I would do it before activation.

bigdinkel said:   I called AMEX and they confirmed my 100k bonus. I would do it before activation.

If you already got the card, activation or not, you got the ding, it doesn't matter.

geo123 said:   RushnRockt said:   txrandom said:   geo123 said:   

Right, the only time that GOES is useful when you are entering the US from Canada is when you go through customs at a US airport. If you cross the border in your car, you need NEXUS. Likewise, if you are flying to the US through a major Canadian city, you will go through customs in that city in Canada and will need NEXUS, not GOES.

It also goes without saying that when you are entering Canada, you need NEXUS, not GOES.

From the Global Entry website, Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Thus obtaining Global Entry provides zero benefit when entering a foreign country like Mexico or Canada. But Global Entry still provides benefit when returning to the United States from Canada or Mexico. At border crossings the Global Entry card can be used to return to the United States and allows access to NEXUS/SENTRI lines. In major Canadian and other airports that provide US border preclearance, Global Entry can be used as well. More information can be found here. I've traveled from YYC to IAH and used Global Entry just fine. Also, GOES is the Global Online Enrollment System and distinct from the Global Entry program.

LaChupacabraj said:   Does anyone have a Gold screenshot? TIAHere you go.

txrandom said:   From the Global Entry website, Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Thus obtaining Global Entry provides zero benefit when entering a foreign country like Mexico or Canada.I don't understand what you are agreeing or disagreeing with. My point is that if you frequently travel to and from Canada, you need NEXUS, not GE. NEXUS will expedite your entry into Canada, while GE will not. NEXUS will expedite your entry into the US from Canada, while GE generally will not.

But Global Entry still provides benefit when returning to the United States from Canada or Mexico. At border crossings the Global Entry card can be used to return to the United States and allows access to NEXUS/SENTRI lines.http://www.globalentry.gov/faq.html#11 "Global Entry members, who wish to drive their vehicle in the SENTRI lanes, must register their vehicle with CBP and schedule an appointment at a SENTRI enrollment center to have a 7-point vehicle inspection conducted. For more information on SENTRI and the location of SENTRI enrollment centers, please go to http://www.sentri.gov. There are no additional requirements for a member to use the NEXUS lanes coming into the U.S. However, Global Entry cards will not be valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks"

Also, GOES is the Global Online Enrollment System and distinct from the Global Entry program.That's a fair point.

Signed up for the Gold card, does it automatically show up in your online account? I already have a AMEX blue card, so I didn't create a user after approval.

geo123 said:   You also get access to Fine Hotels and Rewards (FHR), which, depending on your travel pattern, can be enormously valuable or completely useless. As I've previously posted, FHR is very valuable if you stay at luxury hotels that participate in FHR and have very short stays there (1-2 nights) during high occupancy periods. If you do not, FHR is unlikely to work for you.

Thanks for the clarification on TripIt Pro; I assumed it was not included anymore but had not researched it. I will have to check out the FHR program, which I have not used as of yet, but I had received some positive feedback on it from others.

For Global Entry, I thought if your family members where travelling with you, they could essentially cut the line at immigration (YMMV on angry passengers attacking them); obviously they can't use the machine. Has never mattered for me but I thought I recalled reading that when I signed up; if that's not true its probably only useful to international business travelers. I love the benefit (as I don't check bags), but it also does you less good when you have checked bags as you still have to wait for them after going through the immigration line, so you get potentially no benefit.

As an update to everyone on the YMMV nature of the airline reimbursement for gift cards, I have used the credit to successfully get reimbursed for $200 AA gift cards for the last 3 years (in one $200 charge at a time). Each time the credit has posted to my account in 3 or 4 days. I cannot speak to the ability to get GC purchases credited back with the other airlines.

geo123 said:   I don't understand what you are agreeing or disagreeing with. My point is that if you frequently travel to and from Canada, you need NEXUS, not GE. NEXUS will expedite your entry into Canada, while GE will not. NEXUS will expedite your entry into the US from Canada, while GE generally will not.

I'm disagreeing with the bolded text. GE will expedite your entry into the US from Canada just as NEXUS will. I don't want fellow users to believe that getting Global Entry won't help with travel from Canada to the US especially when they can get Global Entry for free. NEXUS would be ideal since it works both ways, but most users likely won't sign up for it since it's not covered.

arkleseizure said:   
For Global Entry, I thought if your family members where travelling with you, they could essentially cut the line at immigration (YMMV on angry passengers attacking them); obviously they can't use the machine. Has never mattered for me but I thought I recalled reading that when I signed up; if that's not true its probably only useful to international business travelers.

Officially no. But YMMV with infants. Looks like it was more favorable while it was still in the pilot stage.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-issues/12...

I just paid cash for my application and thought of getting it for my wife with the credit, but I don't see me springing for my two kids, so my wife will probably pass on it as we don't live in a city with a major airport in it.

Does anybody know how to retreive a saved application?
I filled the first of three parts today then saved it, it stated that I would rec. an email with a link to finish but that never came and it was about 10AM (EST).
Looked all over the AMEX site but nothing.
Thanks!

How did this promo die in less than 24 hrs.???

Fatwallet effect and AMEX saying HOW MUCH ARE WE GIVING THEM!?!?

Anybody have a screen shot for the Platinum application page?

foglem said:   Fatwallet effect and AMEX saying HOW MUCH ARE WE GIVING THEM!?!?

More like the SD/FT effect...

I think it is harder but still a good deal.

Sesq said:   geo123 said:   
- $100 reimbursement for Global Entry fee (potentially a pain to get to the interview if you don't live near a major airport, but very useful nonetheless)This can be useful or completely worthless. It's not just about getting the interview. First, if you don't travel internationally, there is no reason to waste your time with Global Entry.

Global entry can be used to get you in TSA Pre-Check.

This can be a great benefit of GE, or a total flop, it just depends on what airport you are flying from frequently, and which airlines. Having GE saved me an hour wait in security one busy day at CLT when I happened to be flying on US Air because they were so much cheaper than Delta, who I have platinum (and thus Precheck for DL). I was able to add my known traveler number to my US Air ticket and go through the pre-check line in about 2 minutes.

Implementations of it elsewhere, unfortunately in ATL, suck ass.

My home airport is PWM, so I've never had a security line longer than 10 minutes (or about 20 people, we move slower here). We do fly to visit family in hub and other major cities, though - PHL, PHX, SAN are all guaranteed once a year for us at least. I need to look into whether an infant can piggyback with me. If that's the case, I'll sign up for GE and pay the $100 for my wife, especially since we plan to attempt international travel in the fall.

sjwaste said:   My home airport is PWM, so I've never had a security line longer than 10 minutes (or about 20 people, we move slower here). We do fly to visit family in hub and other major cities, though - PHL, PHX, SAN are all guaranteed once a year for us at least. I need to look into whether an infant can piggyback with me. If that's the case, I'll sign up for GE and pay the $100 for my wife, especially since we plan to attempt international travel in the fall.

For Global Entry, each person using it must have their own Global Entry card. Previously children could not sign up for it, and families couldn't use it. They have gotten rid of the age requirement now. So, if your infant has a passport for international travel, they can sign up for global entry as well.

My recall is AMEX refunds annual fee prorated, at least they did on a gold card of mine a couple years ago. So the $450 fee is not as onerous if you spend fast. Maybe they don't fulfill until month 4 but even so that's like really only $150 of fees for $1000 in bonus.

ucfzf10 said:   moledude said:   Does anyone know for the airport lounge access privilege, can you bring guests with you?Yes. See the terms & conditions. The Platinum member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests.

I swear I also remember seeing this, but now I cant find it anywhere.

Got this from the AMEX site now:

After you enroll, your membership in Priority Pass Select will provide you entry to over 600 international and domestic lounges in 100 countries, regardless of which carrier or class you are flying. Guests may enter with you for a fee of $27 per person. This is one of the many great travel benefits on your Card. Enter your American Express user ID and password, check the I agree box to signify you have reviewed, understand, and agree to the Terms and conditions (click to view) below, and click the Verify button.

No mention of spouse and kids entering for free. Does anyone have the link to what is posted above that spouse and children under 21 can enter for free.

ETA: I found it here

I am confused. Can someone please help me understand.

Are Platinum Card Access and Priority Pass Select two different things?

All Platinum travel related perks can be found here

They keep changing the terms and conditions. Now it says "...may join you" the as complimentary guests is now removed from the wording.

newbietx said:   I am confused. Can someone please help me understand.

Are Platinum Card Access and Priority Pass Select two different things?

All Platinum travel related perks can be found here

Yes, they are different. Platinum Card Access applies only to Delta, AA and US lounges, and the first two only if you're flying with them that day. Priority Pass has an agreement with most of the lounges in the world. The only thing that is confusing me is that most cards that give Priority/Lounge Club membership include a limited number of free visits (2-3). I can't believe AMEX Platinum gives unlimited Priority Pass visits.

Yoksel said:   Yes, they are different. Platinum Card Access applies only to Delta, AA and US lounges, and the first two only if you're flying with them that day.Correct. If you enter a participating lounge with your Platinum card, you can bring in your entire family or two guests for free.

Priority Pass has an agreement with most of the lounges in the world.Don't we wish. In fact, domestically, you will hardly ever find a participating lounge (also remember that United clubs cannot be accessed with Priority Pass paid for by US-based credit cards -- the card will say Priority Pass Select or Lounge Pass to show that United clubs are excluded). The value of PP is when you travel internationally, but even then you'll only have access to a relatively small number of lounges out there.

The only thing that is confusing me is that most cards that give Priority/Lounge Club membership include a limited number of free visits (2-3). I can't believe AMEX Platinum gives unlimited Priority Pass visits.Practically all premium cards give unlimited Priority Pass visits to the primary member. Some even include guest visits.

You are thinking of Priority Pass cards issued by regular cards without an annual fee. Those cards do only give you a limited version of PP, which either includes no free visits or includes very few free ones.

newbietx said:   Are Platinum Card Access and Priority Pass Select two different things?Yes, they are completely different. With Delta, AA and US, you enter their lounges by presenting your same day boarding pass with the same airline (with US, it can be any airline), your Platinum Card and your ID.

Priority Pass is a completely separate program and comes with a PP card. You enter a participating lounge with your PP card (which looks like this: http://www.prioritypass.com/ but yours will have a big "SELECT" logo on it or it'll say "Lounge Pass" instead to show that you can't use it to enter United lounges) and your ID -- it doesn't matter what airline you are flying.

Geo123 & Yoksel thank you. I spent some more time on the website and found out the same. Appreciate the responses. Too bad the stateside lounges (except US air) are specifically for flying on those airlines only (bummer). And the international ones will not take the spouse and kids complimentary, bummer again. Tad bit disapointed but I think I will live.

Thanks again!

Got my gold card today (next day air) that was fast! No mention of the 50k points though in the welcome package or online when I activated the card.

Got my card today, very fast. Any idea if the MR bonus should be in the paperwork somewhere? It's not mentioned in mine, but I did take screen shots when I signed up. I'm really considering prepaying another quarter at day care to hit the $3000 spend req fast and take advantage of the 30% BA Avios bonus before that runs out. Do the MR bonus points generally hit the account instantly? I thought I read somewhere else that they did, but I obviously don't have first hand experience.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014