• Go to page :
  • 1 2 345
  • Text Only
Can someone elaborate on how exact to get th $200 incidental travel fee?

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/PlatinumAirlineChoice. Only the Basic Card member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. It can take up to 48 hours post enrollment and airline choice for the benefit to be effective. Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until December of each calendar year at which time they may change their airline choice for the following calendar year. Card members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees that do not qualify for statement credits are wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners (incidental transactions must be charged by the Card member's airline choice). The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be eligible. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card members on the enrolled Card account are eligible for statement credits. Each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits, regardless of the number of Cards on the Account. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the account. Card members can call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card members are responsible for payment of all charges until the statement credit(s) posts to the account. To be eligible for this benefit, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance

Does anyone know for the airport lounge access privilege, can you bring guests with you?

Is anyone having success going to "shorter application?"

moledude said:   Does anyone know for the airport lounge access privilege, can you bring guests with you?Yes. See the terms & conditions. The Platinum member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests.

failed at "shorter" application -- np with full application.

bigdinkel said:   
Is there a way that we can make our 100,000 points be worth much more than $1000?

Google Rewards2Cash. I have done one transaction with them for over 50K points and received a check within a week. Since it was my first transaction, I was a little worried - but it all worked out. The way they handle the AMEX point is that they ask you transfer to some Delta FF miles account to some other person. I suppose that person is either buying or is a front for a travel agency. Then these points probably get used for a high value airline ticket. If you are way too worried, split your transactions (which is what I should have done).

I hate Delta - truly lousy for regular awards. But take a look at the other partners - may be you can find better value by transferring the points to some program and using them yourself.

Cmoz said:    Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days

I have the Gold as an additional cardholder. Any opinions on whether that would disqualify from the bonus offer? Thanks!

greyknight17 said:   mattun said:   Cmoz said:   Skipped SSN and was led to this app page (pay attention to bolded section, for emphasis):

* Receive 100,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend $3,000 in your first 3 months of Card membership.1
Annual Membership Fee is $450.2
* Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days

Okay, dumb question. I cancelled my Gold a month ago. It's 90 days from cancellation, not application right?
Didn't try this, but I would say no. You had the product within the last 12 months. I wish I waited for this instead of applying for it 2 months ago for 50K.

Yoksel said:   Nice! Thanks OP! I've been waiting for the 100K offer for a while but never thought a Gold card could disqualify My Gold card is business version though so I'm wondering if it's still a reason for disqualification.You should be fine as it's treated differently from personal cards. I'm actually waiting for a good PRG Business CC offer.

I called in; they confirmed that business lines are separate from personal. Lady tried to get me to apply over the phone WITHOUT the 100,000 bonus offer after confirming that I am eligible, lol.

I just applied for AMEX bcp a week ago....Do you think they will approve me for another AMEX so soon?

ucfzf10 said:   moledude said:   Does anyone know for the airport lounge access privilege, can you bring guests with you?Yes. See the terms & conditions. The Platinum member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests. Correct, that is if you fly a participating airline and enter that airline's lounges with AMEX. Alternatively, if you use Priority Pass (or Lounge Club, as it's called now), it doesn't matter what airline you are flying as long as the lounge accepts Priority Pass/Lounge Club, but then only you get in for free and you must pay for your guests, including family members.

Please note that you cannot get into the United clubs with either AMEX Platinum or the version of Priority Pass/Lounge Club that comes with this card (or any other US based credit card), as United instead pushes its own cards.

zeiwui said:   Can someone elaborate on how exact to get th $200 incidental travel fee?You select one major airline and that selection stays locked in for a year. Then, incidental charges from that airline, such as luggage fees, drinks/meals ordered on board are automatically reimbursed.

With some airlines people have had success purchasing gc's from those airlines, but that's YMMV.

What gift cards are available? I don't travel much. And is it definitely 50k points = $500 in gift cards?

can I pay rent with this CC?

arkleseizure said:   - Lounge accessRight, this and FHR is the primary reason that people get this card.

- $200 annual reimbursement for expenses on a particular airline (my 2013 reimbursement just posted today)Right. Please note that AMEX rolled out this benefit when United pulled out as a participating airline. In other words, this is valuable as long as you can live without United lounge access and without being able to transfer MR's to United.

- $100 reimbursement for Global Entry fee (potentially a pain to get to the interview if you don't live near a major airport, but very useful nonetheless)This can be useful or completely worthless. It's not just about getting the interview. First, if you don't travel internationally, there is no reason to waste your time with Global Entry.

Second, in order to use Global Entry lanes, ALL members of your travelling party must be Global Entry members. If you are married and travel with your spouse, this means that he/she will need to pay the fee as well, which won't be reimbursed as the CC will be only in your name (authorized users are $175 for up to 3 AU's). Further, if you have kids and travel with them, you'll have to enroll them (you used to not be able to enroll kids under 18, but they recently changed that).

Also remember that you must be travelling to/from countries where Global Entry is useful. For instance, if you travel to/from Canada, you need Nexus, not Global Entry.

- Free year of TripIt Pro (not sure if this is still true)This is no longer a benefit.

- SPG Gold status (not great, but better than nothing)Right. You also get the National Emerald Club Executive membership.

You also get access to Fine Hotels and Rewards (FHR), which, depending on your travel pattern, can be enormously valuable or completely useless. As I've previously posted, FHR is very valuable if you stay at luxury hotels that participate in FHR and have very short stays there (1-2 nights) during high occupancy periods. If you do not, FHR is unlikely to work for you.

Was approved for the AMEX Gold. Thanks OP

bytem3 said:   Has anyone been hit with a credit report pull (soft or hard) just from entering information on their precheck page (not from applying for the card)?Yes, I did not enter my SSN but still got a soft inquiry from CreditCards.com on my TransUnion report (they don't have to have your SSN to pull credit).

How are people getting approved? I just keep hitting the error page on American Express regardless of which browser I use.

Is there a way to see how the point redemption actually works? I'm just curious as to what kind of travel amount 50k points actually translates to (one domestic, multiple domestic, one international, etc.).

rowdy117 said:   Is there a way to see how the point redemption actually works? I'm just curious as to what kind of travel amount 50k points actually translates to (one domestic, multiple domestic, one international, etc.).

there is a WHOLE thread on it
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1219801/

There are literally millions of options since you can transfer the points to multiple partners, so all million or so options are not discussed in that thread.

skagen said:   Thanks a bunch! In for 2 Golds, I am awash with points, so I was happy to just take the 50K from the gold with no fee and easy spend requirement.

2 cards for same person, or 1 each for 2 pax?

geo123 said:   
- $100 reimbursement for Global Entry fee (potentially a pain to get to the interview if you don't live near a major airport, but very useful nonetheless)This can be useful or completely worthless. It's not just about getting the interview. First, if you don't travel internationally, there is no reason to waste your time with Global Entry.

Global entry can be used to get you in TSA Pre-Check.

Here is a write up.

Current members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS programs are already eligible to participate in the TSA Pre✓™ concept if they are flying on a participating airline at a participating airport. Those passengers need to place their PASS ID in the ‘Known Traveler Number’ field while booking their reservation. Interested passengers who are not eligible through their airline and are not already a member of a CBP Trusted Traveler program may still be able to opt-in to TSA Pre✓™ by applying for one of the CBP eligible programs. Click here to learn more: globalentry.gov.

Translation: You can apply for PreCheck via one of those frequent flyer programs. I believe you originally needed to have elite status/be invited to apply via one of those programs, but the United program does not seem to have the requirement that you were invited. It just says that anyone who is a US citizen and has a MileagePlus account can apply. It does go on to say that “frequent flyers and members of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (USCBP) Global Entry™, NEXUS, or SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs are most likely to be eligible for expedited screening.” Click on the airline links above for each program’s details. If you have Global Entry, SENTRI, or NEXUS, you are also eligible. You need to enter your Trusted Traveler number into your frequent flyer account and opt-in for PreCheck. You can get that number in your GOES account or on your GE card.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommypoints/2012/10/05/tsa-pre-che...

sjwaste said:   Is there a direct link to the AMEX app? I'm leery of giving my personal info to whoever this 3rd party is. Can I put in some BS?

I'm going to reply to myself and say that I just filled it out with my real info and no SSN. It's worth some junk mail for the 100k bonus. I got the same offers as everyone else. I took the Plat offer and was instantly approved, so I should have the card in 1-3 days.

I used Chrome in incognito mode. Disabled all extensions (I use Adblock plus a couple others to reduce advertising trackers). The card itself does not yet show up under my AMEX account, but I assume it will after I activate and/or register it.

FWIW, I have 3 other AMEX cards - SPG, HHonors and Blue Cash. I'll probably ask them to put my SPG limit somewhere else and convert or remove that card, since I don't want two cards with annual fees.

Well, now I'm just getting offers from Capital One, so I'm wondering if this is dead. No idea why everyone else was able to get it to work. Tried Chrome Incognito as well.

Another data point: Was approved at 9:21am CST.

Protip: Take screen shot of the 100k or 50k application. AMEX has a history to denying pts.

Delete

I tried everything. 100k app does not show up. bummer.

Matched deals are gone
Disclaimer
100k app showed up but is now gone .

Gives me only 25K for Platinum

geo123 said:   bytem3 said:   Has anyone been hit with a credit report pull (soft or hard) just from entering information on their precheck page (not from applying for the card)?Yes, I did not enter my SSN but still got a soft inquiry from CreditCards.com on my TransUnion report (they don't have to have your SSN to pull credit).
Why did you enter the correct name and address if you were only trying to see the offers?

cr3s said:   Protip: Take screen shot of the 100k or 50k application. AMEX has a history to denying pts.I was going to say the same thing. Some people have had trouble getting bonus points from AMEX in the past year or so. I'm afraid this could turn sour for some people, but good luck to all.

Delete.

Didn't get a screenshot and now you've got me worried. I got approved for the 50K AMEX Gold Card.

Does someone have a screenshot of the Gold 50K offer? Will a screen shot from another person be acceptable if they request one?

Thanks.

Deal is dead now, FYI.

Disclaimer
Here is a screenshot:

Someone mentioned using a broker to trade miles for gift cards... what are the best sites for that please? Doe they work with the same principle as Plastic Jungle does?

Is this still working for anyone? I can't let it go without being sure! Bummer.. :-p

I got the AMEX offers around 10am. Now just getting capital one offers and a few others.

geo123 said:   
Also remember that you must be travelling to/from countries where Global Entry is useful. For instance, if you travel to/from Canada, you need Nexus, not Global Entry.

This is incorrect. You can use Global Entry when returning to the US from Canada.

txrandom said:   geo123 said:   

This is incorrect. You can use Global Entry when returning to the US from Canada.

It's possible that he meant places other than airports. Then he is correct.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.