• Go to page :
  • 123 4 5
  • Text Only
You mean for the money, right? If so, I completely agree.

The Centurion offers benefits that are head and shoulders above those of AMEX Platinum, but the same can be said about its annual fee, especially now that they've limited the number of authorized users (the authorized user loophole used to be one that plenty of people took advantage of, as the AU annual fee was relatively small compared to the benefits) and increased annual fees.

Yes, for the money. The Centurion benefits are indeed superior, but AMEX is not banging on my door to take one of those cards just yet. This month, I'm making a shift from the public sector to the private sector, so my travel expenses may rise - and I may be able to use a personal card for them - but almost definitely not to that spend threshold, unfortunately. Looking back, I'm honestly just happy to have swam ashore from the Titanic that was the law school class of 2009! Actually, I need to see if Sallie Mae will still take one off payments on a credit card. They used to, and I can definitely hit my min spend that way!

Precisely. I always get these "premium" cards for their benefits but never put any purchases through them, as their reward structure is almost universally pathetic.

Having said that, there are situations where putting purchases on AMEX Platinum does make financial sense. If you are a frequent traveler, for instance, you can often easily get 2 to 2.5 cents per MR and more. If a lot of your charges are business expenses and you either get reimbursed for them or deduct them from your taxes, you avoid tax issues by using cards that issue MR's (which you then transfer to frequent flyer miles) or frequent flyer miles.

Platinum has few opportunities to earn more than 1X per $, but I plan to take advantage when I can get 2X MR on the way in. The MR points themselves can definitely be worth over 2 cents per if redeemed opportunistically. I'm going to miss the 30% BA Avios bonus, but I'm hoping the next one is with another Star Alliance partner or Delta. In that case, next fall's trip to Europe will be in business for us.

Actually, to make a broader statement, Platinum's ability to transfer MR to a wide variety of airline partners (some instantly) is probably one of the biggest strengths of that card. I know I won't be redeeming that 100k bonus for $1000 in gift cards. Hmm, now I hope Air Canada is the next bonus offer so I don't have to drive down to Boston.

I know I've asked you a ton of questions already, but if you're still reading, have you used any of the travel assistance benefits? The last time I flew through PHL, my luggage got shredded, which was kind of a hassle.

also, is it worth paying the $175 AF for up to 3 AU's on the card? They get most of the same privileges including their own Priority Pass but the one benefit that is common (shared) is the annual $200 airline incidental charge. That is locked down at $200 for the entire account.

If AMEX does do the next SBS then each of these AU's can nett $25 a piece + even with one redemption each (valued at $27) at a participating lounge with a Priority Pass (internationally) may nearly recoup the $175 fee, hmmmm. What do you guys think?

geo123 said:   RushnRockt said:   txrandom said:   geo123 said:   
Also remember that you must be travelling to/from countries where Global Entry is useful. For instance, if you travel to/from Canada, you need Nexus, not Global Entry.

This is incorrect. You can use Global Entry when returning to the US from Canada.

It's possible that he meant places other than airports. Then he is correct.
Right, the only time that GOES is useful when you are entering the US from Canada is when you go through customs at a US airport. If you cross the border in your car, you need NEXUS. Likewise, if you are flying to the US through a major Canadian city, you will go through customs in that city in Canada and will need NEXUS, not GOES.

Not true. Toronto and Montreal certainly have Global Entry kiosks (for entry to the US - agreed, doesn't help for entry into Canada).

NEXUS is $50 per applicant (minors are free) and includes Global Entry, FYI. I've read elsewhere that it's a charge from GOES that triggers the AMEX reimbursement, so you and your spouse could both apply and get the $100 reimbursement.

The catch is that NEXUS enrollment centers are basically at the borders only. The closest to me is in Calais, Maine, a 4 hour drive. Link for locations.

cestmoi123 said:   Not true. Toronto and Montreal certainly have Global Entry kiosks (for entry to the US - agreed, doesn't help for entry into Canada).Do they? I travel to Canada several times each year and just very recently flew out of YYZ. For the life of me I do not remember ever seeing any GE kiosks in YYZ and also do not remember seeing them in YUL (although it's been a little while since I flew out of YUL). I wasn't specifically looking for them, so it's certainly possible that I missed them, but all that I remember seeing there is NEXUS.

sjwaste said:   The Centurion benefits are indeed superior, but AMEX is not banging on my door to take one of those cards just yet.Is that the only thing that's stopping you from getting the Centurion? The $7,500 initiation fee (they just increased it from $5,000) and $2,500/year after that is not a deterrent?

This summer they also changed the maximum number of authorized users to 2 (it was previously up to 99) and are now charging $2,500/year for each one (it was previously $1,500/year, which was actually a fantastic deal for quite a few people).

Actually, to make a broader statement, Platinum's ability to transfer MR to a wide variety of airline partners (some instantly) is probably one of the biggest strengths of that card. I know I won't be redeeming that 100k bonus for $1000 in gift cards.Precisely.

I know I've asked you a ton of questions already, but if you're still reading, have you used any of the travel assistance benefits? The last time I flew through PHL, my luggage got shredded, which was kind of a hassle.I've never used any of its travel assistance benefits. In order to qualify under its baggage insurance plan, you have to have purchased your ticket with your AMEX Platinum and I just don't do that.

geo123 said:   sjwaste said:   The Centurion benefits are indeed superior, but AMEX is not banging on my door to take one of those cards just yet.Is that the only thing that's stopping you from getting the Centurion? The $7,500 initiation fee (they just increased it from $5,000) and $2,500/year after that is not a deterrent?

This summer they also changed the maximum number of authorized users to 2 (it was previously up to 99) and are now charging $2,500/year for each one (it was previously $1,500/year, which was actually a fantastic deal for quite a few people).

I cross each bridge as I get to it To be honest, if someone offered to sign me up as an AU, I still don't think I could justify $1500, let alone $2500. If it were a deductible business expense, maybe, but even then the only additional benefit I'd personally gain is US Platinum status. DL Gold is nice, but I fly Delta once a year. Oh and I think Cent would give me a free car seat with Hertz!

geo123 said:   cestmoi123 said:   Not true. Toronto and Montreal certainly have Global Entry kiosks (for entry to the US - agreed, doesn't help for entry into Canada).Do they? I travel to Canada several times each year and just very recently flew out of YYZ. For the life of me I do not remember ever seeing any GE kiosks in YYZ and also do not remember seeing them in YUL (although it's been a little while since I flew out of YUL). I wasn't specifically looking for them, so it's certainly possible that I missed them, but all that I remember seeing there is NEXUS.

It's been a while, but I've been through YUL and YYZ and I think I do remember seeing them. FWIW, both are listed on the Global Entry locations list.

If you're close to the border or plan to travel to one of those locations, though, it'd be better to double dip on the benefit and apply for two on NEXUS.

sjwaste said:   DL Gold is nice...As an fyi, as of, I believe, a year or two ago, you now get Delta Platinum with your Centurion membership.

They still haven't been able to restore the SPG Platinum benefit, which used to come with the Centurion and for a lot of people easily justified the annual fee by itself (especially since the annual fee at the time was "only" $1,000). So, the Centurion still only comes with the same SPG Gold that AMEX Platinum gives you.

geo123 said:   cestmoi123 said:   Not true. Toronto and Montreal certainly have Global Entry kiosks (for entry to the US - agreed, doesn't help for entry into Canada).Do they? I travel to Canada several times each year and just very recently flew out of YYZ. For the life of me I do not remember ever seeing any GE kiosks in YYZ and also do not remember seeing them in YUL (although it's been a little while since I flew out of YUL). I wasn't specifically looking for them, so it's certainly possible that I missed them, but all that I remember seeing there is NEXUS.

I believe the kiosks are there now, the airports are listed on the Global Entry website. Last time I went through YYZ was 8 months or so ago, and they didn't have the kiosks up and running, but the sign directed GE passengers to go through the Nexus line, so the effect (much faster) was the same.

geo123 said:   sjwaste said:   DL Gold is nice...As an fyi, as of, I believe, a year or two ago, you now get Delta Platinum with your Centurion membership.

They still haven't been able to restore the SPG Platinum benefit, which used to come with the Centurion and for a lot of people easily justified the annual fee by itself (especially since the annual fee at the time was "only" $1,000). So, the Centurion still only comes with the same SPG Gold that AMEX Platinum gives you.

They've gotten FHR more price-competitive, though, which is nice. That bridges some of the gap in not having status, since you get an available room upgrade plus some credits that I'm likely to use when traveling with a child. We're planning a trip to Scottsdale (to visit inlaws officially, but I've managed to finagle the dates to coincide with Spring Training) and FHR is quoting me the same as the refundable options through Kayak and the hotels themselves. The only thing is, for some reason the Fairmont is not on the FHR roster in Scottsdale and they have ALL of the baby stuff you'd ever need - we'd basically just have to check a car seat and enough food to get to the hotel. Ah the little things I never thought I'd care about a year ago.

I'm not sure that hotel status is incredibly important to me other than the occasional late checkout, but SPG gold or booking through FHR covers that. Airline status, on the other hand, means you get treated like a human being. I'd say airline status plus pre-check eligibility in some way makes air travel a whole lot more convenient and potentially pleasant. For that, It's nice to get status on multiple airlines with Centurion. I'm pretty sure that I'd be willing to put out $1000 for those benefits, but I'm guessing so would a lot of people, which is why the price went up.

US Silver would be fine for me. Out of PWM, they almost always have seats in first available. They try to sell them for $99 at check-in and I've never not been presented with that offer. Silver would pretty much put me in one of those seats every time. I think some people have gotten Trial Preferred reimbursed with Platinum - that with a mileage run might be what I do.

I was reimbursed for the $200 incidental by purchasing 2x$50 and 1x$100 gift card at AA.com. Purchase on 1/9/2013 and received credit statement on 1/11/2013.

I have no idea what to spend them on so I may try to eBay those GC.

SS7Man said:   I was reimbursed for the $200 incidental by purchasing 2x$50 and 1x$100 gift card at AA.com. Purchase on 1/9/2013 and received credit statement on 1/11/2013.

Well, airfare is a good place to start Buying GCs helps if you're flying an airline where you have status and wouldn't otherwise incur incidentals. If you eBay them, you're going to end up with less than the full value of that $200 since you'll sell at a discount. And that's before eBay + PP take 12% or so. Any plans to fly AA? Do those gift cards even expire?

I know one can only change the designated airline between January 1st and 31st but can I hold off selecting the airline for the first time until later in the year? I'm not sure which airline I will be using more often.

SS7Man said:   I was reimbursed for the $200 incidental by purchasing 2x$50 and 1x$100 gift card at AA.com. Purchase on 1/9/2013 and received credit statement on 1/11/2013.

Did you buy on the 9th or was it charged on the 9th? I purchased a $50 in the 13th, they do not activate the gift card until the 17th, and just charged me today. Anyone else experience this delay?

Data point: I made my purchase on Monday, Jan. 14, got the points today.

note, I got 100k way before the 3k points that won't clear until end of Feb for me.

Can someone help me? I went ahead and applied for a PRG and was instantly approved. My issue is that I can't find any information about getting the bonus I applied for. For me I was awarded 30000 points for spending $3000 in 3 months. I can't find anything on this. I called AMEX 3 times each time getting a different answer, first was no bonus, second was call new member services, third was wait 72 hours and the offer will pop up. Its been 72 hours sense my approval I applied on Tuesday. So far I've got nothing.

My DW applied for the PRG with the 50K offer and no Annual Fee for first year. I just saw the latest activity (statement hasn't been generated yet) and the $175 fee has been charged. Did anyone else see this?

I have the gold and wasn't charged an annual fee.

ucfzf10 said:   My DW applied for the PRG with the 50K offer and no Annual Fee for first year. I just saw the latest activity (statement hasn't been generated yet) and the $175 fee has been charged. Did anyone else see this?Sent secure message to confirm the offer & no AF. They confirmed & refunded the AF.

ucfzf10 said:   My DW applied for the PRG with the 50K offer and no Annual Fee for first year. I just saw the latest activity (statement hasn't been generated yet) and the $175 fee has been charged. Did anyone else see this?

I got charged the $175 annual fee as well. I called in and the rep confirmed that the annual fee will be removed in a day or two. It was credited back the next day.

Fuerza said:   Can someone help me? I went ahead and applied for a PRG and was instantly approved. My issue is that I can't find any information about getting the bonus I applied for. For me I was awarded 30000 points for spending $3000 in 3 months. I can't find anything on this. I called AMEX 3 times each time getting a different answer, first was no bonus, second was call new member services, third was wait 72 hours and the offer will pop up. Its been 72 hours sense my approval I applied on Tuesday. So far I've got nothing.

Talking with AMEX a few days ago I ended up losing the bonus offer. What happen for me is that I used the short application which caused the bonus removal. I did get the no annual fee for the first year so I plan to hold onto the PRG.

What I'm curious about is there a possibility of getting an upgrade with a bonus offer or just waiting out for the next AMEX Platinum 100k bonus?

duplicate

whodini said:   brandon032586 said:   Data point: I made my purchase on Monday, Jan. 14, got the points today.
note, I got 100k way before the 3k points that won't clear until end of Feb for me.

The points balance shows as zero on the main account info page, but if I click on Go to Membership Rewards link, pick my Platinum membership account (I have 2 active), the points show up under "pending".

Fuerza said:   Fuerza said:   Can someone help me? I went ahead and applied for a PRG and was instantly approved. My issue is that I can't find any information about getting the bonus I applied for. For me I was awarded 30000 points for spending $3000 in 3 months. I can't find anything on this. I called AMEX 3 times each time getting a different answer, first was no bonus, second was call new member services, third was wait 72 hours and the offer will pop up. Its been 72 hours sense my approval I applied on Tuesday. So far I've got nothing.

Talking with AMEX a few days ago I ended up losing the bonus offer. What happen for me is that I used the short application which caused the bonus removal. I did get the no annual fee for the first year so I plan to hold onto the PRG.

What I'm curious about is there a possibility of getting an upgrade with a bonus offer or just waiting out for the next AMEX Platinum 100k bonus?

Can you describe what you mean by the short app? Did you click the link that showed the bonus points offer to get to the applicaation or did you go somewhere else to app?

Short app means after clicking through to the bonus offer page there is something that says something like "already signed up for AMEX? Take a shortcut by logging in first." most likely logging in invalidates the sign up bonus.

I got PRG one and half years ago and still have it.

I applied the Platinum and got instant approval. Now, I've spent 3k but I still don't see the 100k posted.

Am I out of luck?

sunspotzsz said:   I got PRG one and half years ago and still have it.

I applied the Platinum and got instant approval. Now, I've spent 3k but I still don't see the 100k posted.

Am I out of luck?

Probably, they seem to be strictly enforcing the bonus eligibility rules (an open PRG card disqualifies you from getting a Platinum bonus according to those rules).

You can still get your $200 airline credit and cancel to get out of the annual fee.

dl73 said:   sunspotzsz said:   I got PRG one and half years ago and still have it.

Am I out of luck?

Probably, they seem to be strictly enforcing the bonus eligibility rules (an open PRG card disqualifies you from getting a Platinum bonus according to those rules).

You can still get your $200 airline credit and cancel to get out of the annual fee.

thanks man. I did already got the $200 airline credit. I hate to cancel it now and get annual fee back.

whodini said:   whodini said:   brandon032586 said:   Data point: I made my purchase on Monday, Jan. 14, got the points today.

The points balance shows as zero on the main account info page, but if I click on Go to Membership Rewards link, pick my Platinum membership account (I have 2 active), the points show up under "pending".

Is anybody able to use their points yet? My 50K still show as "pending" but it doesn't specify a date as to when they actually become available.

Used 50k out of 100k for an air ticket.

I used a Miles Broker to trade my points for cash ($1250), Gift Card trading service to exchange the AA gift card for Amazon GC (at 84% value), and expect my card fee to be refunded like in the past. I used my remaining points above 100k from my $3k minimum spending with purchases on Amazon for another $25. I should net ~$1400. I also called Members Rewards to request for points acceleration posting which they can accommodate instantly. Many braved people at SD reported they were able to get both the Platinum/Gold points.

As an FYI, I compared gift card sale options for airlines and found SW to be the highest thru Plastic Jungle (84% cash, 88.2% Amazon).

SS7Man said:   I used a Miles Broker to trade my points for cash ($1250), Gift Card trading service to exchange the AA gift card for Amazon GC (at 84% value), and expect my card fee to be refunded like in the past. I used my remaining points above 100k from my $3k minimum spending with purchases on Amazon for another $25. I should net ~$1400. I also called Members Rewards to request for points acceleration posting which they can accommodate instantly. Many braved people at SD reported they were able to get both the Platinum/Gold points.

Do you do anything special to get that fee refunded?
Do you plan to use it heavy?
$450 is a lot of goodwill.

I had applied for the PRG and the bonus points posted as soon as the spending requirements were met.However with the statement I got charged the $175 annual fee.
I called in and had a hard time getting it waived.First the rep asked me where i found the offer.After answering she put me on hold and said that she couldn't see the introductory offer on my account.When i insisted, she put me on hold again.This time she said that the offer was valid only for people who applied between 11/1 and 12/31.

I repeated that i have the screenshot of the offer and there was no mention of any expiry date on the offer.I was put on hold for the 3rd time.This time the rep said that she "found" the offer and the the annual fee will be removed in a day or two.So if they refuse to waive the fee just keep trying.

I got two gold cards with this offer and got tagged with the $175 fee on each of them. Secure email to CS and they replied within the hour with a credit back on both accounts. Check your statements.

Wish AMEX would team up with Southwest. I bought a RT ticket from Phx to Chicago for 237 after taxes but they won't xfer the miles to Southwest. Oh well.

KYBOSH said:   SS7Man said:   I used a Miles Broker to trade my points for cash ($1250), Gift Card trading service to exchange the AA gift card for Amazon GC (at 84% value), and expect my card fee to be refunded like in the past. I used my remaining points above 100k from my $3k minimum spending with purchases on Amazon for another $25. I should net ~$1400. I also called Members Rewards to request for points acceleration posting which they can accommodate instantly. Many braved people at SD reported they were able to get both the Platinum/Gold points.

Do you do anything special to get that fee refunded?
Do you plan to use it heavy?
$450 is a lot of goodwill.

It sounds like its their policy but who really knows and not believe everything you read on the net. I see a lot of people saying the fee is non-waivable and some says its pro-rated. I think its a matter of when you cancel. So I have canceled pretty much immediately after getting my first billing statement. I paid immediately the day I received my statement. The fee is fully refunded and all I did was asked during cancelation for verification that I am getting the full fee to be refunded. The first rep I spoke to said it was pro-rated but she cannot cancel accounts and transferred the call to the cancellation dept. The cancellation dept said its to be fully refunded.

I'm done with this deal. Good luck to everyone else!

parmenides said:   I got two gold cards with this offer and got tagged with the $175 fee on each of them. Secure email to CS and they replied within the hour with a credit back on both accounts. Check your statements.

I also got a gold card and was charged the fee. I got it reversed with a phone call. I met the $1000 spend more than a week ago and haven't gotten the bonus.

I signed up for the AMEX Platinum 100K MR after $3000 in 3 months offer. On getting the card last month, I called AMEX and checked on this offer. They confirmed that this sign-up offer was valid on my card. I am close to reaching the $3000 required for the offer and so called them again today to confirm the offer. They did a complete about turn on me. They said that it was only valid for new card members and since I already had a Gold card, it was not valid. After quite an extended conversation, the rep put put in a ticket to have it looked into.

Is anyone facing similar issues?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014