• Go to page :
  • 1234 5
  • Text Only
skrisna said:   I signed up for the AMEX Platinum 100K MR after $3000 in 3 months offer. On getting the card last month, I called AMEX and checked on this offer. They confirmed that this sign-up offer was valid on my card. I am close to reaching the $3000 required for the offer and so called them again today to confirm the offer. They did a complete about turn on me. They said that it was only valid for new card members and since I already had a Gold card, it was not valid. After quite an extended conversation, the rep put put in a ticket to have it looked into.

Is anyone facing similar issues?


Had the same thing happen to me, and escalating did not help. I ended up canceling the card and getting my yearly fee refunded.

Just wanted to update - hit my spending threshold over the weekend and my points went into pending status by the end of the day yesterday.

If you're at all concerned that the 100k bonus isn't noted on your account, calling plat customer service (put in your cc# then keep saying representative to the IVR) is the easiest way to figure it out. They can look up the award promos and confirm it. They can also accelerate posting once they're pending, at least that's what they told me they'd do if I needed to redeem them quickly.

I'm pretty impressed with the platinum CS line. They also helped me with my other AMEX products, including reallocating my SPG line to another card and closing it.

I'll be trying the lounge access, US at DCA, in a couple of weeks. I'll post back if the lounge dragon has any issue allowing access with a Platinum card.

sjwaste said:   Just wanted to update - hit my spending threshold over the weekend and my points went into pending status by the end of the day yesterday.

If you're at all concerned that the 100k bonus isn't noted on your account, calling plat customer service (put in your cc# then keep saying representative to the IVR) is the easiest way to figure it out. They can look up the award promos and confirm it. They can also accelerate posting once they're pending, at least that's what they told me they'd do if I needed to redeem them quickly.
I sent them a secure email once I paid the balance; the points moved from pending to available a few hours later.

kjgco said:   sjwaste said:   Just wanted to update - hit my spending threshold over the weekend and my points went into pending status by the end of the day yesterday.

If you're at all concerned that the 100k bonus isn't noted on your account, calling plat customer service (put in your cc# then keep saying representative to the IVR) is the easiest way to figure it out. They can look up the award promos and confirm it. They can also accelerate posting once they're pending, at least that's what they told me they'd do if I needed to redeem them quickly.
I sent them a secure email once I paid the balance; the points moved from pending to available a few hours later.


I just logged in again to check my balance and my points were posted and available. I didn't even have to ask. So I guess they either noted it when I called or they become available very quickly once earned. I know the usual statement-based MR points take about a month to post, but bonuses could be different.

Either way, I'm very happy.

SS7Man said:   KYBOSH said:   SS7Man said:   I used a Miles Broker to trade my points for cash ($1250), Gift Card trading service to exchange the AA gift card for Amazon GC (at 84% value), and expect my card fee to be refunded like in the past. I used my remaining points above 100k from my $3k minimum spending with purchases on Amazon for another $25. I should net ~$1400. I also called Members Rewards to request for points acceleration posting which they can accommodate instantly. Many braved people at SD reported they were able to get both the Platinum/Gold points.

Do you do anything special to get that fee refunded?
Do you plan to use it heavy?
$450 is a lot of goodwill.


It sounds like its their policy but who really knows and not believe everything you read on the net. I see a lot of people saying the fee is non-waivable and some says its pro-rated. I think its a matter of when you cancel. So I have canceled pretty much immediately after getting my first billing statement. I paid immediately the day I received my statement. The fee is fully refunded and all I did was asked during cancelation for verification that I am getting the full fee to be refunded. The first rep I spoke to said it was pro-rated but she cannot cancel accounts and transferred the call to the cancellation dept. The cancellation dept said its to be fully refunded.

I'm done with this deal. Good luck to everyone else!


How long did it take to get the refund of the annual fee? The very rude lady (honestly, I guess I deserved it for the this sign up bonus) told me that the annual fee would not be prorated when I canceled. Is it because I already paid the annual fee that they won't prorate the cancellation?

Might be one of the few that's keeping the card for the year and hoping for a double dip on the $200 credit come next January... Anyways, received the 100k right after the $3000 in spend posted to my account. I've used the card 5 or 6 times at Delta lounges (departure and arrival airports) without issue with a Delta boarding pass. Also used it for the Baltimore "generic" lounge, which worked fine too. Haven't had the chance to use the priority pass as of yet, but it's in the wallet just in case.

brandon032586 said:   SS7Man said:   KYBOSH said:   SS7Man said:   I used a Miles Broker to trade my points for cash ($1250), Gift Card trading service to exchange the AA gift card for Amazon GC (at 84% value), and expect my card fee to be refunded like in the past. I used my remaining points above 100k from my $3k minimum spending with purchases on Amazon for another $25. I should net ~$1400. I also called Members Rewards to request for points acceleration posting which they can accommodate instantly. Many braved people at SD reported they were able to get both the Platinum/Gold points.

Do you do anything special to get that fee refunded?
Do you plan to use it heavy?
$450 is a lot of goodwill.


It sounds like its their policy but who really knows and not believe everything you read on the net. I see a lot of people saying the fee is non-waivable and some says its pro-rated. I think its a matter of when you cancel. So I have canceled pretty much immediately after getting my first billing statement. I paid immediately the day I received my statement. The fee is fully refunded and all I did was asked during cancelation for verification that I am getting the full fee to be refunded. The first rep I spoke to said it was pro-rated but she cannot cancel accounts and transferred the call to the cancellation dept. The cancellation dept said its to be fully refunded.

I'm done with this deal. Good luck to everyone else!


How long did it take to get the refund of the annual fee? The very rude lady (honestly, I guess I deserved it for the this sign up bonus) told me that the annual fee would not be prorated when I canceled. Is it because I already paid the annual fee that they won't prorate the cancellation?


UPDATE: Not only did they refund me the annual fee, it was not prorated! I got the full 450 back even after two statements have passed.

Any existing PRG card holder got the 100k?

So after receiving my 100k membership rewards points bonus, I downgraded to an AMEX Green card with a lower annual fee and got a prorated refund of the $450 annual fee I already paid. A month or two has gone by... I called this morning to ask an unrelated question and was told at the end of the call that there's an offer on my account to upgrade to Platinum, spend $3k and receive another 100k membership rewards points bonus. (I would have to pay the $450 annual fee again.) I told the CSR that was the same offer I originally signed up for, but she said it was coded for the account and I was eligible.

I have my doubts, but I'll give it a try and see what happens. Anyone else gotten this offer?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014