• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
debtblag said:   If you've got thoughts or advice, I'd be happy to hear it.

As your asserts increase, specifically retirement accounts and other long investments, the corrections hurt even more in some ways.

I'm invested in likely a similar way: aggressive, long-horizon, mostly low cost index funds. I lost almost a year's pay during the recent correct. I stopped looking...

What's the word?

Dus10 said:   What's the word?
Another ugly month.

Here's my: October 2015 net worth update

Debt: I paid off $1,300 bringing my total to -$89,000
Retirement: My investments decreased $100 bringing my total to $84,300
Net worth: This went up by $1,100 to -$4,700

Of course, a $100 drop to an investment portfolio isn't too terrible, but what makes this troublesome is that I actually contributed $2,900 to my retirement accounts (including employer match).

My portfolio is aggressively allocated at 50-40-10, domestic stock-international stock-domestic bonds. The steeply sloping attached chart shows just the 10 percent drop these combined funds have seen over the last couple months.

October 2015 personal finance goals

Just to make sure I've still got the fire, I'm going to set some very aggressive goals for October in hopes of getting past $0.

Goal #1: Contribute $4,700 in total (again, including employer match) to debt and retirement. If the market's gonna be a jerk, I'm going to do my best to out-muscle it.

Goal #2: In order to make sure I have $4,700 left over to contribute, I'll do a "no-spend" month. Obviously, I'll spend money on things like rent and groceries, but no:

• Eating out
  • Drinking at bars
  • Getting coffee at cafes
  • Taking cabs or Ubers
  • Buying new toiletries, clothes

Goal #3: Sell, give away, or otherwise rid myself of 100 things. Maybe I'll make a little more cash to send to debt and retirement. At the very least, I won't trip over so much stuff.

And that's that. See you all at zero!

I challenge you to a race!

I'm at 105k loans and 100k retirement/ 35k cash. First one to 100k net worth wins?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015