• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Here is the story:

I live in suburb near Dallas, Texas. I purchased a house home an year before and got security service from a local company who provides service to most of the houses in the community. He is preferred service provider by my HOA. I decided to cancel the service 4 months ago. I tried multiple times to contact their service department but no one picking the phone. I called the monitoring services. They paged multiple times and then finally a guy from the company called me. He first said I need to return the Wireless equipment. I remember well that I purchased it from him and did not lease or rent it. I told him that I purchased it. He responded saying that I signed a 3 year contract and so I need return the equipment. I told him I have not signed any agreement and if so he can submit it and I will honor the contract. He checked and could not find any such contract. I know well that I did not sign any contract. He said he will cancel the service and asked me email and provided an email address(crooks@...).

I did on Nov 30 but the service was not cancelled and my credit card is still being charged. I tried to reach out to him again and he is not picking the phone. I called the monitoring services to page him. Still no one contacted me. I went to their website and took their email address and emailed them. I doubt crooks@.. email id is bogus. I also filed BBB complaint yesterday. Their rating is already F and they have not responded to couple complaints.

I am trying to find what are my options. 1. Call my credit card company and block these guys. I am worried it may go to collection and then screw my credit report. 2. Send a certified letter to the company and then use that as evidence if I have to deal with Collection company.

Are there any other options available? I am new to this website and one of my friend referred me to fatwallet and asked me to post in finance forum. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
They know your address and that you have no security now and they would send someone to break in....hehehe....

dontcare4myname (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 7:58p) |

Wow, some set of balls on the security company guy. First he claimed you signed a 3yr contract, then when he couldn't l... (more)

TheDiggler (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 8:29p) |

Along with all options Suggested by others I like this post,
Here are the primary security precautions for safety and se... (more)

rosstaylor (Jan. 17, 2013 @ 12:29a) |

  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

can't you challenge the charge since you have documentation that you cancelled the service on Nov 30?

Nov 30 email was to crooks@... I doubt if this correct email address. Yesterday, I emailed again to the email address available in their website. I did not received any confirmation from them to any of my emails yet. I think I can still use that.

also they never sent any bills either email or regular mail..

1) start a johnny cash cover band
2) when wearing your johnny cash outfit (all black) enter your home by climbing into your window
3) crooks@ will enter your home to investigate the "breakin"
4) shoot crooks@, claiming you thought he was a home invader and you were scared for your life.
5) ?????
6) profit

Call your credit card and dispute the charges, that's all you need to do.

A security service that doesn't answer the phone is no service at all. I'd sue in small claims for the past year's fees, and use that as documentation to challenge credit card charges.

Complain to the HOA too. Any vendor that is on the preferred vendor list wants to stay on that list and a call from a board member or management company should get this cleared up quickly.

Why not just cancel your card and get another one?

My father ran into a similar problem shortly after purchasing a home that was ~2yrs into the 3yr contract. He got fed up quickly trying to get it cancelled the usual route so he called and acted like he was interested in new service for his business and wanted to speak to someone "in charge" and not just a regular phone rep.

Pretty quickly he got a senior person on the phone and only then did he tell them the real reason for his call. Things were handled efficiently at that point. But I guess this won't work if no one ever answers the phone....

I'd just dispute 3-4 mos with your credit card and be done with it.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Only thing that I worried was about they going to collection and screwing my credit. I will use my email on Nov 30Jan 8th as evidence if they go to collection. I will contact my credit card company and take the necessary steps.

Security guard companies are likely regulated by a state regulatory board. File a complaint with your state agency. Do send a certified mail cancellation letter with deliver confirmation, or you might end up in a he-said/she-said credibility contest over whether or not you actually cancelled.

Did he offer you "protection"?

one word. Chargeback.

send your cc company an email with your complaint and list the dates of the false charges. they will reverse them. you can usually ban them from charges forever for a fee like 30 bucks but better yet is to tell your cc company you are concerned about other fraudulent charges and want a new number. they will issue you new cards with new numbers. the company wont have this number and wont be able to charge it.

Alarm monitoring companies are notorious for this.

lousygolfer said:   Security guard companies are likely regulated by a state regulatory board. File a complaint with your state agency. Do send a certified mail cancellation letter with deliver confirmation, or you might end up in a he-said/she-said credibility contest over whether or not you actually cancelled.

Would it count as a private security company? They're regulated by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

I agree that the card number needs to be changed and you should notify all other authorized billers of the new number. Depending on the card issuer, it may be futile. When our card was misused, the card issuer indicated they would notify the authorized monthly billers of the new card number to bill.
YMMV - do talk to your card issuer.

Follow up on this. I transferred all my points to another card and cancelled the card on 10.

The funny thing is today some one knocked my door an hour ago. Surprise!!! A guy from security services was standing outside. He needed me to sign bunch of papers for insurance purpose. Seems they misplaced the originals that I signed. I took it to see what is in there. Guess what!!! It was a pre-dated 5 year contract and mentioning that the equipment is leased. He assured me it is the same as the one I signed an year before. I think it is because of my BBB complaint and they are trying to get me sign something.

I simply told him that I cannot sign anything. He is the same guy who gave me crooks@.... email address. It appears the email address is correct. Finally, he sent an email to his billing department to cancel the service and reimburse the last two month fee. I will wait and see what is going to happen.

vettipayal said:   Follow up on this. I transferred all my points to another card and cancelled the card on 10.

The funny thing is today some one knocked my door an hour ago. Surprise!!! A guy from security services was standing outside. He needed me to sign bunch of papers for insurance purpose. Seems they misplaced the originals that I signed. I took it to see what is in there. Guess what!!! It was a pre-dated 5 year contract and mentioning that the equipment is leased. He assured me it is the same as the one I signed an year before. I think it is because of my BBB complaint and they are trying to get me sign something.

I simply told him that I cannot sign anything. He is the same guy who gave me crooks@.... email address. It appears the email address is correct. Finally, he sent an email to his billing department to cancel the service and reimburse the last two month fee. I will wait and see what is going to happen.


They know your address and that you have no security now and they would send someone to break in....hehehe....

vettipayal said:   I called the monitoring services. They paged multiple times and then finally a guy from the company called me. He first said I need to return the Wireless equipment. I remember well that I purchased it from him and did not lease or rent it. I told him that I purchased it. He responded saying that I signed a 3 year contract and so I need return the equipment. I told him I have not signed any agreement and if so he can submit it and I will honor the contract. He checked and could not find any such contract. I know well that I did not sign any contract. He said he will cancel the service and asked me email and provided an email address(crooks@...).

vettipayal said:   The funny thing is today some one knocked my door an hour ago. Surprise!!! A guy from security services was standing outside. He needed me to sign bunch of papers for insurance purpose. Seems they misplaced the originals that I signed. I took it to see what is in there. Guess what!!! It was a pre-dated 5 year contract and mentioning that the equipment is leased. He assured me it is the same as the one I signed an year before. I think it is because of my BBB complaint and they are trying to get me sign something.
Wow, some set of balls on the security company guy. First he claimed you signed a 3yr contract, then when he couldn't locate one, he tried to get you to sign a pre-dated (back-dated?) 5 year contract!

For future reference, get yourself a Citi, Bank of America, or some other CC which supports Virtual Credit Card (VCC) numbers.

With either program above, you can close out a Virtual CC # at any time. You can also set a maximum credit limit and expiration date (2-12 months from the time the VCC gets generated) on VCC's to further limit potential charges/damage.

Along with all options Suggested by others I like this post, TheDiggler said:   vettipayal said:   I called the monitoring services. They paged multiple times and then finally a guy from the company called me. He first said I need to return the Wireless equipment. I remember well that I purchased it from him and did not lease or rent it. I told him that I purchased it. He responded saying that I signed a 3 year contract and so I need return the equipment. I told him I have not signed any agreement and if so he can submit it and I will honor the contract. He checked and could not find any such contract. I know well that I did not sign any contract. He said he will cancel the service and asked me email and provided an email address(crooks@...).

vettipayal said:   The funny thing is today some one knocked my door an hour ago. Surprise!!! A guy from security services was standing outside. He needed me to sign bunch of papers for insurance purpose. Seems they misplaced the originals that I signed. I took it to see what is in there. Guess what!!! It was a pre-dated 5 year contract and mentioning that the equipment is leased. He assured me it is the same as the one I signed an year before. I think it is because of my BBB complaint and they are trying to get me sign something.
Wow, some set of balls on the security company guy. First he claimed you signed a 3yr contract, then when he couldn't locate one, he tried to get you to sign a pre-dated (back-dated?) 5 year contract!

For future reference, get yourself a Citi, Bank of America, or some other CC which supports Virtual Credit Card (VCC) numbers.

With either program above, you can close out a Virtual CC # at any time. You can also set a maximum credit limit and expiration date (2-12 months from the time the VCC gets generated) on VCC's to further limit potential charges/damage.

Here are the primary security precautions for safety and security that should followed by all card holders for avoiding future trouble...



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.