• 1 234519
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
GradSave is offering a $50 contribution to a 529 College Savings Plan for only $24 via the Living Social network through January 22, 2013.

GradSave is an online college savings registry that helps friends and family give contributions directly to a child’s college savings plan.

Funds that are contributed to GradSave can be transferred to a linked 529 plan, or they will be held in a regular FDIC-insured savings account from Bank of America until you decide to withdraw them.

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/491862

Thanks to maximizing money dot com...

Member Summary

gradsave (92.59kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
These children will get far more through the 9/11 GI bill than gradsave.

elektronic (May. 30, 2013 @ 9:47a) |

Seems like GradSave tried spamming here about some sweepstakes. Luckily mods have removed the post

Sorry Grad save, most... (more)

invisible (Aug. 01, 2013 @ 9:27a) |

Yeah that post was pretty ridiculous.

BingBlangBlaow (Aug. 03, 2013 @ 10:09a) |

I have a feeling this is about to sell out...

Nice find! No brainer deal.

Thanks. Agree no brainer.

Any idea how these work? Can only one be applied per account? It gives the option of buying up to 5 additional cards as gifts - if you're a parent, why not 1 for yourself and 5 additional ones for "gifts." Probably too good to be true - anyone tried that?

Limit 1 per customer, up to 5 additional as gifts • Limit 1 voucher per customer, beneficiary, account, savings plan, or 529 plan • Limit 1 per transaction; cannot be combined • Entire value must be used in a single visit
I wonder about those 5 additional ones as gifts...Can they end up in the same GS account?

Has anyone been told on LS that their voucher is ready to be redeemed, and then get "invalid voucher code" on GS?

I put 3 in the same account. They give you a code when you select 'give to a friend' works the same as the one you get.
Please note it take about 10 mins after they say the code is ready for it to actually work.

Why only 3?...

edit: nevermind my original post here ... Shufflindoh answered my question (re: error code). It's been almost 20 minutes for me, but I'll be patient

I was testing to see if it would work.

civ2k1 said:   Anyone else been successful (or not)applying the voucher?I'm getting the same error.

Takes about 10 min... be patient. It'll work

Shufflindoh said:   I put 3 in the same account. They give you a code when you select 'give to a friend' works the same as the one you get.
Please note it take about 10 mins after they say the code is ready for it to actually work.

Thanks for the headsup on the delay .. going on 25 mins for me, but I'll wait it out.

The fineprint in the email I got from Living Social says: "The Fine Print: Limit 1 per customer, up to 5 additional as gifts • Limit 1 voucher per customer, beneficiary, account, savings plan, or 529 plan • Limit 1 per transaction; cannot be combined • Entire value must be used in a single visit"

(bold for emphasis) This fineprint seems to indicate that multiple vouchers per account would be invalid, no?

civ2k1 said:   Shufflindoh said:   I put 3 in the same account. They give you a code when you select 'give to a friend' works the same as the one you get.

Thanks for the headsup on the delay .. going on 25 mins for me, but I'll wait it out.

The fineprint in the email I got from Living Social says: "The Fine Print: Limit 1 per customer, up to 5 additional as gifts • Limit 1 voucher per customer, beneficiary, account, savings plan, or 529 plan • Limit 1 per transaction; cannot be combined • Entire value must be used in a single visit"

(bold for emphasis) This fineprint seems to indicate that multiple vouchers per account would be invalid, no?

Yeah, that's the way I interpret it. I wanted to buy additional for my daughter, but doesn't appear it would work. My code is still saying invalid as well. I'll wait it a bit and try again.

The company itself seems to be very young. I wonder if we've slowed them down. Or if they weren't expecting to sell so many...

I wonder if someone figured out the voucher sequence and it just applying everyones codes to their account.

Can one open a 529 if they don't have kids yet?

Yes. Use yourself.

BingBlangBlaow said:   I wonder if someone figured out the voucher sequence and it just applying everyones codes to their account.

That's a possibility. Why don't you post yours and I'll tell you if mine is similar

I'm nearing an hour and still have "invalid code" error. If it's not resolved by tomorrow, I'll be requesting a refund from Living Social. Not worth the risk with GradSave being fairly small/new.

I still haven't either. Goodnight. I guess I'll go back to hating LS now.

BingBlangBlaow said:   I still haven't either. Goodnight. I guess I'll go back to hating LS now.

Yeah, my first experience with them was not so hot either. And this is only my second try.

My first purchase was a Christmas gift in 2011, for a magazine subscription. I purchased on the 23rd, expecting to get the code so I could purchase the actual subscription and provide a printout of such purchase to the gift recipient on XMas day. I ended up having to mock up my own certificate to present to the gift recipient to show what she was getting. I didn't get a code and actually convert to the magazine subscription until the 26th or 27th.

When I called Living Social to inquire, they told me I should just print out the notification that I purchased the Living Social certificate and present that as the gift, eventually forwarding the code directly to the recipient. Do I really need the gift recipient to know I cheaped out and bought the subscription via Living Social?

On the plus side, FatWallet just notified me that Living Social reported my $0.48 Cash Back from this purchase

How is the 7-day return policy with LivingSocial, is it pretty hassle-free? You know... just in case this doesn't work out.

Just challenge with your CC if it doesn't work out.

i sent email to Living Social first they told me to read the directions, after i explained i followed directions they said to give it 24-48 hours even though it states redeem now

Notice you can gift on the grad save site with cc...

Notice the part about fees...
Edit: Still up, and still "invalid".

So between a couple you can purchase 6 each for a total of 12 and contribute towards same account for a total profit of 312? Is that right?

BingBlangBlaow said:   Notice the part about fees... . as in they are not charging them right now?

Gradsave.com seems interesting. You can contribute to a 529 plan using a credit card (and earn CashBack!). Currently I contribute towards my kid's 529 via my checking account, so time to stop that and use my credit card?
Gradsave is also giving a $100 bonus for the first $1000 you contribute. Wondering what the catch is. Any hidden fees? How is the company making money?

I don't know if they can survive you Venturion, considering they can't even afford a decent web designer.

According to the fine print, only 1 voucher per GradSave account / per linked 529. I wonder if multiple GradSave accounts can link to the same 529.

civ2k1 said:   BingBlangBlaow said:   I still haven't either. Goodnight. I guess I'll go back to hating LS now.

Yeah, my first experience with them was not so hot either. And this is only my second try.

My first purchase was a Christmas gift in 2011, for a magazine subscription. I purchased on the 23rd, expecting to get the code so I could purchase the actual subscription and provide a printout of such purchase to the gift recipient on XMas day. I ended up having to mock up my own certificate to present to the gift recipient to show what she was getting. I didn't get a code and actually convert to the magazine subscription until the 26th or 27th.

When I called Living Social to inquire, they told me I should just print out the notification that I purchased the Living Social certificate and present that as the gift, eventually forwarding the code directly to the recipient. Do I really need the gift recipient to know I cheaped out and bought the subscription via Living Social?

On the plus side, FatWallet just notified me that Living Social reported my $0.48 Cash Back from this purchase

discover CashBack for Living Social is 5%

OliverQuackenbush said:   civ2k1 said:   

discover CashBack for Living Social is 5%
I forgot to use anything But BC looks like 7%.

Venturion said:   BingBlangBlaow said:   Notice the part about fees... . as in they are not charging them right now?That's what I meant. That was actually part of the reason I posted the first reply. Although, with my voucher still not being valid, I'm not sure how much I trust them. At the very least, now that this thread's here, it won't last very long. Have you been able to determine any limits?

Yep, just tried to apply my code again and still invalid. Not impressed.

I realize that student loans are not qualified expenses, but don't you only pay tax on the earnings in a 529 if it's a non qualifying expense? Technically couldn't I buy the $50 for $24, and immediately make a payment to my student loans, without incurring any tax liability since I had no earnings? So technically if I could keep stacking these (getting family to buy them for me), I could pay off my student loans at 48% of their principle balance?

Don't forget that if you refer 3 "friends", you can get the deal for free.

my code is not working either, do I need to sign up first?

Got it to work - as posted earlier just had to be patient!

Skipping 705 Messages...
Yeah that post was pretty ridiculous.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014