Vanilla reload issues

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I purchased vanilla reload card for 400$ at CVS (using CC) but when i tried to load bluebird, reload card had only 8 digit PIN and cant fund blue bird online since it expects 10 digit PIN. I called vanilla customer service to report this - they say the funds has been transferred but bluebird shows zero. I reached out to a supervisor and created a dispute.They say it should be resolved with in 60 days.

what if vanilla network later says they cant refund the amount.....Any other way to handle this issue......

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What kind of lender is this? They hang out at street corners?

Are you sure the lender didn't mean "their" account? Why y... (more)

speedbird71 (Apr. 12, 2013 @ 12:17p) |

Let's rephrase what the lender wants so maybe you will see the scam...

Give me $50 cash today and I will let you borrow $... (more)

peste386 (Apr. 12, 2013 @ 12:20p) |

How does this even make sense? Go buy something for $500...arrange for lender to get the money...then lender puts $500 ... (more)

steve1jr (Apr. 12, 2013 @ 1:01p) |


Save your receipt!

I have the receipts and have sent it in email -card,PIN, receipt to the vanilla dispute dept. Not sure how they will resolve it

Paid cash for a Vanilla Reload?

This happened to me on December 26 in the amount of $140.00. I called customer service and they advised me to do the same thing. I do not believe they are going to refund me the money. Therefore, I stopped buying any reloadable vanilla cards. I also reported Vanilla Reloadable to the BBB. I strongly encourage you to do the same to encourage them to stop stealing money.

Is everyone having these problems or are people still successfully loading Vanilla into their bluebird accts?

i just loaded $1000 yesterday, and another $1000 today using vanilla reloads

Where are you?

A FlyerTalk poster in the Atlanta area reported the same problem. There is belief that this is an inside job.

It sounds like there is value to scratching off the PIN before purchasing to ensure 10 digits. I know I will in the future.

qwerty12345otron said:   It sounds like there is value to scratching off the PIN before purchasing to ensure 10 digits. I know I will in the future.
Do that secretly and you might get escorted out of the store in handcuffs . Be sure to do it in front of the store clerk.

There is significant prepaid card fraud going on involving scanning scratching or repackaging cards and placing them back on the store display rack for An innocent customer to buy. Don't scratch off anything in the store unless you are at the register or customer service counter

Good call. The store I buy them at has the gift cards at the counter.

Are you sure you are looking for the pin in the right place?

I can see someone scratching/recoating the pin to steal the funds...but I don't see how/why someone would actually replace the pin with a shorter one. What would they gain?

sechs said:   Where are you?

A FlyerTalk poster in the Atlanta area reported the same problem. There is belief that this is an inside job.


I believe that poster had four digits scratched out, not two. Assuming they are different people, it would be helpful to know the OP's general location.

steve1jr said:   Are you sure you are looking for the pin in the right place?

I can see someone scratching/recoating the pin to steal the funds...but I don't see how/why someone would actually replace the pin with a shorter one. What would they gain?


This has been a "common" fraud technique with gift cards. Why would they do this? The fraudster is "squatting" on the gift card number and checking the balance to see when the card is loaded so they can empty it (calling the phone number on the back of the card requires 10 digits to check balance). Removing numbers makes it more difficult/impossible for the original purchaser to use the funds/takes longer for the fraud to be reported.

My guess is that OP probably purchased the card and it sat for some time before he checked the number. Hence giving plenty of time for the fraud to take place.

maddybeagle said:   steve1jr said:   Are you sure you are looking for the pin in the right place?

I can see someone scratching/recoating the pin to steal the funds...but I don't see how/why someone would actually replace the pin with a shorter one. What would they gain?


This has been a "common" fraud technique with gift cards. Why would they do this? The fraudster is "squatting" on the gift card number and checking the balance to see when the card is loaded so they can empty it (calling the phone number on the back of the card requires 10 digits to check balance). Removing numbers makes it more difficult/impossible for the original purchaser to use the funds/takes longer for the fraud to be reported.

My guess is that OP probably purchased the card and it sat for some time before he checked the number. Hence giving plenty of time for the fraud to take place.


This sounds logical. I never thought of that. I am squatting on a VR card myself just to check if I can buy using a CC. I am still waiting for my MM card.

sechs said:   
A FlyerTalk poster in the Atlanta area reported the same problem. There is belief that this is an inside job.

ITCFL is located in GA.

ITCFL?

A Choc Van Straw teller pointed out that you should always check the serial numbers on the cards against the last 4 digits printed on the receipt, which I have started doing with each purchase. i understand this situation is a bit different, but it's one thing to make sure of to avoid the quick-wristed teller. Seems like the advice is to buy and then load as quickly as possible.

i can also see that if these had consistent serial numbers (i.e., the first 8 digits were all alike for one store), someone could continually cycle through the numbers, essentially fishing for ones that had been activated. not sure if that is the case, though.

umcsom said:   ITCFL?
Producer and distributor

maddybeagle said:   steve1jr said:   Are you sure you are looking for the pin in the right place?

I can see someone scratching/recoating the pin to steal the funds...but I don't see how/why someone would actually replace the pin with a shorter one. What would they gain?


This has been a "common" fraud technique with gift cards. Why would they do this? The fraudster is "squatting" on the gift card number and checking the balance to see when the card is loaded so they can empty it (calling the phone number on the back of the card requires 10 digits to check balance). Removing numbers makes it more difficult/impossible for the original purchaser to use the funds/takes longer for the fraud to be reported.

My guess is that OP probably purchased the card and it sat for some time before he checked the number. Hence giving plenty of time for the fraud to take place.


One thing to do is to ALWAYS check the scratch off area before buying. Every one of my VR cards has a very clear all-caps wording on the coating saying:
(line 1) SCRATCH OFF FOR
(line 2) PIN NUMBER

If I don't see that, I'm not buying it. If theives are able to duplicate this exactly, then they'd have some serious equipment. Certainly minimizing the time your $ is accessible via just a 10 digit PIN is probably the best advice overall too.

Op, any updates?

Caryite said:   maddybeagle said:   steve1jr said:   Are you sure you are looking for the pin in the right place?

I can see someone scratching/recoating the pin to steal the funds...but I don't see how/why someone would actually replace the pin with a shorter one. What would they gain?


This has been a "common" fraud technique with gift cards. Why would they do this? The fraudster is "squatting" on the gift card number and checking the balance to see when the card is loaded so they can empty it (calling the phone number on the back of the card requires 10 digits to check balance). Removing numbers makes it more difficult/impossible for the original purchaser to use the funds/takes longer for the fraud to be reported.

My guess is that OP probably purchased the card and it sat for some time before he checked the number. Hence giving plenty of time for the fraud to take place.


One thing to do is to ALWAYS check the scratch off area before buying. Every one of my VR cards has a very clear all-caps wording on the coating saying:
(line 1) SCRATCH OFF FOR
(line 2) PIN NUMBER

If I don't see that, I'm not buying it. If theives are able to duplicate this exactly, then they'd have some serious equipment. Certainly minimizing the time your $ is accessible via just a 10 digit PIN is probably the best advice overall too.
Did you read SIS' post above about the danger of scratching off the PIN before purchase?

kjgco said:   Caryite said:   maddybeagle said:   steve1jr said:   Are you sure you are looking for the pin in the right place?

I can see someone scratching/recoating the pin to steal the funds...but I don't see how/why someone would actually replace the pin with a shorter one. What would they gain?


This has been a "common" fraud technique with gift cards. Why would they do this? The fraudster is "squatting" on the gift card number and checking the balance to see when the card is loaded so they can empty it (calling the phone number on the back of the card requires 10 digits to check balance). Removing numbers makes it more difficult/impossible for the original purchaser to use the funds/takes longer for the fraud to be reported.

My guess is that OP probably purchased the card and it sat for some time before he checked the number. Hence giving plenty of time for the fraud to take place.


One thing to do is to ALWAYS check the scratch off area before buying. Every one of my VR cards has a very clear all-caps wording on the coating saying:
(line 1) SCRATCH OFF FOR
(line 2) PIN NUMBER

If I don't see that, I'm not buying it. If theives are able to duplicate this exactly, then they'd have some serious equipment. Certainly minimizing the time your $ is accessible via just a 10 digit PIN is probably the best advice overall too.
Did you read SIS' post above about the danger of scratching off the PIN before purchase?
he said he checks the scratch-off area to ensure it doesn't appear tampered with, SIS was warning about actually scratching it off in-store.

^^Sorry, my mistake; getting too old to multitask!

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   qwerty12345otron said:   It sounds like there is value to scratching off the PIN before purchasing to ensure 10 digits. I know I will in the future.
Do that secretly and you might get escorted out of the store in handcuffs . Be sure to do it in front of the store clerk.

There is significant prepaid card fraud going on involving scanning scratching or repackaging cards and placing them back on the store display rack for An innocent customer to buy. Don't scratch off anything in the store unless you are at the register or customer service counter


But in order for that to work you would have to have a program attempt to use/load that number every few minutes or so to ensure you get the funds as soon as its purchased/loaded. On the scale you need for the profits to outweigh the risks you will need hundreds/thousands of compromised cards floating out there.
Wouldn't having a computer run each number every few minutes be equivalent to a DOS attack?

Has anyone taken cards from one store to another bc first one doesn't take CC and second one is out of stock?

Probably shoplifting to do so, and different stores carry different cards. I know OD's VR cards were different than the ones from Walgreens. Walgreens and CVS VR cards are different (if I recall correctly), and I even think there's another kind you can find at Dollar General.

I went to my local CVS yesterday and they now have a big sign above the GC's saying you can only use cash or debit to buy one. They must have caught on to the Chase CB promo.

bobfather said:   Probably shoplifting to do so, and different stores carry different cards. I know OD's VR cards were different than the ones from Walgreens. Walgreens and CVS VR cards are different (if I recall correctly), and I even think there's another kind you can find at Dollar General.i was planning to go to same type of store (CVS). the cards have no intrinsic value and im planning to pay for them legitimately.

foeplay said:   I went to my local CVS yesterday and they now have a big sign above the GC's saying you can only use cash or credit to buy one. They must have caught on to the Chase CB promo.

So they don't take debit? Or other GC's?

How does that block the Chase CB promo if they take credit?

zgenerale said:   foeplay said:   I went to my local CVS yesterday and they now have a big sign above the GC's saying you can only use cash or credit to buy one. They must have caught on to the Chase CB promo.

So they don't take debit? Or other GC's?

How does that block the Chase CB promo if they take credit?


I'm guessing he meant to say "cash or debit only"

oops, sorry i meant cash or debit. Also, there's a Chase branch next door so I wonder if that's what did it...

foeplay said:   oops, sorry i meant cash or debit. Also, there's a Chase branch next door so I wonder if that's what did it...
That's funny. It's still alive and well at others, especially if you are willing to go to the bad part of town. I bought a few K today from the store manager. Hey was nice enough to ring it up as separate transactions due to the 1k limit.

SegaRob said:   bobfather said:   Probably shoplifting to do so, and different stores carry different cards. I know OD's VR cards were different than the ones from Walgreens. Walgreens and CVS VR cards are different (if I recall correctly), and I even think there's another kind you can find at Dollar General.i was planning to go to same type of store (CVS). the cards have no intrinsic value and im planning to pay for them legitimately.

Except that they are tracked for inventory and you will probably end up causing an issue for ordering / re-ordering for those two stores. I would think taking something that they track for inventory and removing it from there inventory is a classic case of shoplifting. May look bad if you get caught as well.

It has a $3.95 value, don't walk out of the store without paying for it. It has a serial number that may be linked to store's inventory and may cause an alarm when purchased at other store. If you really really really want to do this, just ask the manager. Tell them a sob story that you don't have any cash or can't use a debit card cuz your bank account is empty and you need to hit up your credit card for thousands so you can buy some baby formula and diapers for a baby, and only the other CVS store will allow CC....

No issues buying them either. Over the past week have purchased from 4 different CVS's.

Also, if you are going to buy a VR you should go for the max, $500.

KYBOSH said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   qwerty12345otron said:   It sounds like there is value to scratching off the PIN before purchasing to ensure 10 digits. I know I will in the future.
Do that secretly and you might get escorted out of the store in handcuffs . Be sure to do it in front of the store clerk.

There is significant prepaid card fraud going on involving scanning scratching or repackaging cards and placing them back on the store display rack for An innocent customer to buy. Don't scratch off anything in the store unless you are at the register or customer service counter


But in order for that to work you would have to have a program attempt to use/load that number every few minutes or so to ensure you get the funds as soon as its purchased/loaded. On the scale you need for the profits to outweigh the risks you will need hundreds/thousands of compromised cards floating out there.
Wouldn't having a computer run each number every few minutes be equivalent to a DOS attack?


kybosh buys his vanilla reload cards from precious roy
suckersssssssssss

Speedbird, Any reason why you going to 4 different stores to reload? Is it for appearances sake (the store, the CC company) or is it due to supply of the beans?

KYBOSH said:   Speedbird, Any reason why you going to 4 different stores to reload? Is it for appearances sake (the store, the CC company) or is it due to supply of the beans?

No reason, just happened to be around different CVS's. They actually remember me at the one I usually go to, so much so that the cashier knows the last 4 digits of my credit card as they have to enter that manually.

Skipping 28 Messages...
lisacoleff2 said:   Help. I have been asked by a supposed 'lender' to purchase a VRC and call him with my 'receipt' number and then they will deposit the loan amount into my account. Does this mean he is likely to sweep my card? Also, does the VRC have a way to be turned back into cash i.e. ATM use or deposit at my bank??

How does this even make sense? Go buy something for $500...arrange for lender to get the money...then lender puts $500 into your account. Even if this is straight dealing, how could it be considered a loan to you?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014