Vanilla reload issues

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
deleted

don't have BCP, but my Hilton AMEX has same statement and I get Hilton miles for VR purchases

hebron1427 said:   Am ex TOS say cash equivalents are outside of BCP. anyone have any issues with this?
**sigh**

if anyone would ever answer a PM, maybe this stuff wouldn't have to be posted publicly...

hebron1427 said:   if anyone would ever answer a PM, maybe this stuff wouldn't have to be posted publicly...

Answer to what..."deleted"?

any resolution on this?

Visited my local Atlanta CVS earlier this evening. The manager kindly asked that I scratch to reveal the pin before she rang them up. She said she had 14, yes FOURTEEN, in a row, that were all missing some of the digits earlier in the day. Luckily she caught them all before anyone bought them, but yes, 14 vanilla reload cards missing digits.

I asked if she could tell that they had been tampered with, and she said they definitely had NOT been tampered with. No evidence of any tampering she told me, implying it had to be some sort of manufacturing error.

jacisme said:   Visited my local Atlanta CVS earlier this evening. The manager kindly asked that I scratch to reveal the pin before she rang them up. She said she had 14, yes FOURTEEN, in a row, that were all missing some of the digits earlier in the day. Luckily she caught them all before anyone bought them, but yes, 14 vanilla reload cards missing digits.

I asked if she could tell that they had been tampered with, and she said they definitely had NOT been tampered with. No evidence of any tampering she told me, implying it had to be some sort of manufacturing error.

Wait ah minute...
We must have been at the same store today because I went in and they were all gone except for one.

When I looked at it, it was scratched off and there were some numbers missing (as in not printed).
Didn't bother asking the manager about them.
Went to another location.

That's pretty unsettling.
So are they recommending that we scratch them off at the register before we buy them?

What happens if you unwittingly buy some.
Do you go back for a refund?

The employees aren't too savy about these cards in the first place so convincing them that something is wrong with them and to either give you a refund or exchange for another seems like a reall fat chance.

KYBOSH said:   

When I looked at it, it was scratched off and there were some numbers missing (as in not printed).
Didn't bother asking the manager about them.
Went to another location.

That's pretty unsettling.
So are they recommending that we scratch them off at the register before we buy them?

What happens if you unwittingly buy some.
Do you go back for a refund?

The employees aren't too savy about these cards in the first place so convincing them that something is wrong with them and to either give you a refund or exchange for another seems like a reall fat chance.

scratch them off at the register counter after asking the clerk if it's ok, but before you swipe your card.
If you buy some you're wasting your time if you go back to ask for a refund. Their policy is not not refund gift card purchases, and why would they believe you if you walked back in with the numbers scratched off. If I work there, I say "how do I know you didn't just use the money, scratch them off yourself and bring it back?"
Call the number on the back of the card if you buy some.

jacisme said:   She said she had 14, yes FOURTEEN, in a row, that were all missing some of the digits earlier in the day. Luckily she caught them all before anyone bought them, but yes, 14 vanilla reload cards missing digits.

Could you go more into detail about what the manager said???
I dont understand how she caught on to this without several customers coming back complaining that the cards were defective.
I can't believe she took it upon herself to randomly scratch and reveal the codes herself on a whim.

Perhaps an internal memo was sent out the the management and she pulled them all.

KYBOSH said:   jacisme said:   She said she had 14, yes FOURTEEN, in a row, that were all missing some of the digits earlier in the day. Luckily she caught them all before anyone bought them, but yes, 14 vanilla reload cards missing digits.

I dont understand how she caught on to this without several customers coming back complaining that the cards were defective.
I can believe she took it upon herself to randomly scratch and reveal the codes herself on a whim.

Perhaps an internal memo was sent out the the management and she pulled them all.

I read that as she has everyone check before buying them, and in the morning someone went through 14 before finding one that was correct. I'm still not buying this though, if this was in fact an issue they'd all be recalled immediately. There is no way CVS or Incomm would rely on store personnel to ensure the validity of the PIN at the register, nor would they just wait to deal with the issues after people start calling.

KYBOSH said:   jacisme said:   She said she had 14, yes FOURTEEN, in a row, that were all missing some of the digits earlier in the day. Luckily she caught them all before anyone bought them, but yes, 14 vanilla reload cards missing digits.

I can believe she took it upon herself to randomly scratch and reveal the codes herself on a whim.

if so, that might be the reason that supply was seeming to go down...ie, not FWF-type activity. just saying...

Two weeks ago had an issue. Tried to buy two VR. One of the two wouldn't ring up so left with only one. When I got home I went to web site to xref to BB & it said card was disabled. Since the web site occasionally has issues I waited & tried again in the morning. Still no luck. Now thinking that the cashier mixed up the cards & started to worry. Checked the receipt and the digits on the receipt didn't match the card. Went back to CVS. Thankfully the cashier put a post-it on the failed VR (but actually the good one) and gave it to the mgr. They were able to find it; digits on it matched the receipt; they gave it to me, were apologetic. It transferred to BB successfully.

So lessons learned:
1) check card against receipt
2) do BB transfer ASAP. Now do it on phone in car outside CVS so that I can go in immediately & deal with problem.

speedbird71 said:   Two weeks ago had an issue. Tried to buy two VR. One of the two wouldn't ring up so left with only one. When I got home I went to web site to xref to BB & it said card was disabled. Since the web site occasionally has issues I waited & tried again in the morning. Still no luck. Now thinking that the cashier mixed up the cards & started to worry. Checked the receipt and the digits on the receipt didn't match the card. Went back to CVS. Thankfully the cashier put a post-it on the failed VR (but actually the good one) and gave it to the mgr. They were able to find it; digits on it matched the receipt; they gave it to me, were apologetic. It transferred to BB successfully.

So lessons learned:
2) do BB transfer ASAP. Now do it on phone in car outside CVS so that I can go in immediately & deal with problem.

I have a reoccurring daymare that some beady-eyed casheir with vegas-dealer hands switches out my cards with another they have stashed near the till.
Needless to say, my eyes NEVER leave those cards while they are in the cashier's hands during checkout.

With all the problems these cards have, I can't imagine what this would be like if you were in the disenfranchised group of people that can't get bank accounts that these cards claim to be for. I mean, let's say you make $500/week and put it on these cards and that's all you have. What the hell do you do if you get a blank card, or a card that won't load, etc. That would be a disaster.

KYBOSH said:   speedbird71 said:   Two weeks ago had an issue. Tried to buy two VR. One of the two wouldn't ring up so left with only one. When I got home I went to web site to xref to BB & it said card was disabled. Since the web site occasionally has issues I waited & tried again in the morning. Still no luck. Now thinking that the cashier mixed up the cards & started to worry. Checked the receipt and the digits on the receipt didn't match the card. Went back to CVS. Thankfully the cashier put a post-it on the failed VR (but actually the good one) and gave it to the mgr. They were able to find it; digits on it matched the receipt; they gave it to me, were apologetic. It transferred to BB successfully.

So lessons learned:

I have a reoccurring daymare that some beady-eyed casheir with vegas-dealer hands switches out my cards with another they have stashed near the till.
Needless to say, my eyes NEVER leave those cards while they are in the cashier's hands during checkout.

Good advice. In the future if a problem comes up scanning a card I'd ask for the so-called dud.

Another point to make: if you are thinking about getting a mortgage or doing a refi I'd put a hold on anything to do with VR and BB. When I did my refi last year BOA wanted an explanation for an $8 deposit to my checking account. The effort to explain BB/VR activity would negate the benefit received from doing this.

KYBOSH said:   speedbird71 said:   Two weeks ago had an issue. Tried to buy two VR. One of the two wouldn't ring up so left with only one. When I got home I went to web site to xref to BB & it said card was disabled. Since the web site occasionally has issues I waited & tried again in the morning. Still no luck. Now thinking that the cashier mixed up the cards & started to worry. Checked the receipt and the digits on the receipt didn't match the card. Went back to CVS. Thankfully the cashier put a post-it on the failed VR (but actually the good one) and gave it to the mgr. They were able to find it; digits on it matched the receipt; they gave it to me, were apologetic. It transferred to BB successfully.

So lessons learned:

Where are you buying these things? I'm lucky to get a cashier who knows how to load/activate one (and isnt completely baffled by the number of zeros they need to enter), let alone have a stash hidden under the counter to secretly swap out....

speedbird71 said:   Two weeks ago had an issue. Tried to buy two VR. One of the two wouldn't ring up so left with only one. When I got home I went to web site to xref to BB & it said card was disabled. Since the web site occasionally has issues I waited & tried again in the morning. Still no luck. Now thinking that the cashier mixed up the cards & started to worry. Checked the receipt and the digits on the receipt didn't match the card. Went back to CVS. Thankfully the cashier put a post-it on the failed VR (but actually the good one) and gave it to the mgr. They were able to find it; digits on it matched the receipt; they gave it to me, were apologetic. It transferred to BB successfully.

So lessons learned:

I went through a situation where I was handed the wrong one and they didn't keep the other nearby. Took a few weeks, but Vanilla folks were able to sort it out, and I ultimately got my money. Just have to be patient with these strategies and know that sometimes, this may mess up a little. I think it's all about the odds and risks presented - given the money that has been made from these, it's not even a bad outcome if 1 of them goes bad, because I probably still came out ahead, especially knowing that most of the "issues" get resolved given time.

speedbird71 said:   KYBOSH said:   speedbird71 said:   Two weeks ago had an issue. Tried to buy two VR. One of the two wouldn't ring up so left with only one. When I got home I went to web site to xref to BB & it said card was disabled. Since the web site occasionally has issues I waited & tried again in the morning. Still no luck. Now thinking that the cashier mixed up the cards & started to worry. Checked the receipt and the digits on the receipt didn't match the card. Went back to CVS. Thankfully the cashier put a post-it on the failed VR (but actually the good one) and gave it to the mgr. They were able to find it; digits on it matched the receipt; they gave it to me, were apologetic. It transferred to BB successfully.

So lessons learned:

Good advice. In the future if a problem comes up scanning a card I'd ask for the so-called dud.

Another point to make: if you are thinking about getting a mortgage or doing a refi I'd put a hold on anything to do with VR and BB. When I did my refi last year BOA wanted an explanation for an $8 deposit to my checking account. The effort to explain BB/VR activity would negate the benefit received from doing this.

I keep my churn money (pleasure) in a seperate account/bank from my legitimate accounts (business). And i rarely mix the two.
Personally i wouldnt mention the pleasure checking when apping for a mortgage ... yes i know, I KNOW! ..

I knew this guy who had close to a dozen checking and/or savings accounts scattered all over the place.
Most were from account opening promos and the like. The only account(s) he mentioned was at his main bank where his Paychecks went in and his bill came out of. And honestly i think those are the ones that matter the most to the bank. So there were noo issues whatsoever during closing. Some people will call that fraud, some people will shrug and say "whatever".
Im just telling you what i saw.

Glitch99 said:   
Where are you buying these things? I'm lucky to get a cashier who knows how to load/activate one (and isnt completely baffled by the number of zeros they need to enter), let alone have a stash hidden under the counter to secretly swap out....

Thats what they want you to think!
All that bumbling around just gives them extra time to activate your card (i mean their card) and switch it out on you,

KYBOSH said:   Glitch99 said:   

Thats what they want you to think!
All that bumbling around just gives them extra time to activate your card (i mean their card) and switch it out on you,

In my case I believe the cashier made an honest mistake. I give her kudos for saving what she thought was a dud card, labeling it, then giving it to the mgr. In her position I may have chucked it in the trash or done worse...

Glitch99 said:   KYBOSH said:   jacisme said:   She said she had 14, yes FOURTEEN, in a row, that were all missing some of the digits earlier in the day. Luckily she caught them all before anyone bought them, but yes, 14 vanilla reload cards missing digits.

I read that as she has everyone check before buying them, and in the morning someone went through 14 before finding one that was correct. I'm still not buying this though, if this was in fact an issue they'd all be recalled immediately. There is no way CVS or Incomm would rely on store personnel to ensure the validity of the PIN at the register, nor would they just wait to deal with the issues after people start calling.

A recall could still happen soon. Maybe people are just finding out recently that this is a widespread problem, not an isolated incident. All the more reason everyone should be vigilant in checking their cards and complaining loudly to all of the companies involved if something is amiss. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.

I've been buying these at CVS with credit cards. I have seen them at Shell gas stations, but they won't let you pay with a CC.

Defective VR
Disclaimer
Speaking of the devil I got a defective card today.

CS straightened it out for me so it wasn't a biggy but on the surface there was absolutely nothing wrong or peculiar looking about these cards (I check them before I buy). In the back of my mind I always thought you guys were scratching too hard or something.

I attached a pic for you guys to see.
It looks funny... I would say it was a printer malfunction but there is only a slight trace of the numbers that were supposed to be there.
Mostly a rigid blob (raised surface) where the numbers are supposed to be.

Help. I have been asked by a supposed 'lender' to purchase a VRC and call him with my 'receipt' number and then they will deposit the loan amount into my account. Does this mean he is likely to sweep my card? Also, does the VRC have a way to be turned back into cash i.e. ATM use or deposit at my bank??

lisacoleff2 said:   Help. I have been asked by a supposed 'lender' to purchase a VRC and call him with my 'receipt' number and then they will deposit the loan amount into my account. Does this mean he is likely to sweep my card? Also, does the VRC have a way to be turned back into cash i.e. ATM use or deposit at my bank??

What kind of lender is this? They hang out at street corners?

Are you sure the lender didn't mean "their" account? Why you do need help to deposit it?

Let's rephrase what the lender wants so maybe you will see the scam...

Give me $50 cash today and I will let you borrow $100 tomorrow.

Now, given that. What do you think the chances are you'll be able to find me tomorrow?

lisacoleff2 said:   Help. I have been asked by a supposed 'lender' to purchase a VRC and call him with my 'receipt' number and then they will deposit the loan amount into my account. Does this mean he is likely to sweep my card? Also, does the VRC have a way to be turned back into cash i.e. ATM use or deposit at my bank??

How does this even make sense? Go buy something for $500...arrange for lender to get the money...then lender puts $500 into your account. Even if this is straight dealing, how could it be considered a loan to you?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014