• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
nwrain said:   Another note on USAA:

I had a substantial homeowner's claim with them about 15 years ago. My flat roof's drains became partially clogged and torrential rains caused the standing water on the roof to overflow into the house. Drywall had to be replaced, the roof was no longer serviceable and had to be replaced because water had gotten under the waterproof membrane, wood floors buckled, etc. USAA worked with my contractor and I and adjusted the claim amount when they didn't allow enough to repair the damage. For instance my face nailed hardwood floors all had to be replaced because the old section of the floor couldn't be refinished to match the new section.

In addition they paid for six months of unbelievably high hotel costs because at the time there was a economic boom and there were simply no apartments available in the area.

It wasn't an easy time or repair process, but I never felt I was being cheated by them and in the end I felt they had fairly honored my claim even though it was horribly expensive and complex.

I can give no higher recommendation than that.

Farmers denied the exact same clogged gutter fact pattern

BenH said:   No reason to ever wait. They will refund your remaining balance. What I got back from Progressive with 3 months on my policy is enough to pay my first 6 months with Geico.

Joesh said:   matthewk said:   is it better to wait until the policy expiration/billing date to do the switch? i don't know if the existing insurance company would do a prorate return or what's common.

Wondering this as well, I'm half way through policy with Progressive, and wanting to switch to Geico.

So what's the best way to do it? I can just call to cancel Progressive then just call Geico up and set it up same day?

Set up your new policy first. Tell them you want to start tomorrow. Then call your old insurance and tell them your new policy starts tomorrow.

Joesh said:   BenH said:   No reason to ever wait. They will refund your remaining balance. What I got back from Progressive with 3 months on my policy is enough to pay my first 6 months with Geico.

Joesh said:   matthewk said:   is it better to wait until the policy expiration/billing date to do the switch? i don't know if the existing insurance company would do a prorate return or what's common.

Wondering this as well, I'm half way through policy with Progressive, and wanting to switch to Geico.

So what's the best way to do it? I can just call to cancel Progressive then just call Geico up and set it up same day?

BenH said:   Set up your new policy first. Tell them you want to start tomorrow. Then call your old insurance and tell them your new policy starts tomorrow.

No

Set up your new policy.

Tell them you want it to start TODAY.

Get proof of insurance in your hands, whether that be an insurance card or an email confirming your insurance policy and coverages.

Then AND ONLY THEN call up your old insurance and tell them you want to cancel as of the effective date of your new policy. Provide them with the information on your new policy, including its effective date. Yes, in some cases they will accept a date that is in the past so long as you have proof.

You NEVER EVER want to try to do what BenH suggests for risk of possibly having a gap in your coverage.

No - I'm sorry you are incorrect - or have misinterpreted what I wrote.

You can cancel your current policy at ANY time as long as your new policy will take effect at that time.

I state to start the new policy tomorrow (as in one day from whenever you call). This allows them the time to get you the e-mail and for you to login to your account to get your policy documents and make sure everything is in order.

If I tell them I want to start in 2 weeks from today, it doesn't matter - they don't wait 2 weeks to get you your documents - they still send them out right away.

You are correct in that you want to ensure your new policy has started before you cancel your old one - which will pretty much happen 15 minutes after your call is ended - they will e-mail you the info. But the actual timeline - whether you start today, tomorrow, or a week from now is completely irrelevant.

I have done it this way every time I have changed insurance. I have never had a gap in my coverage.

BEEFjerKAY said:   BenH said:   Set up your new policy first. Tell them you want to start tomorrow. Then call your old insurance and tell them your new policy starts tomorrow.

No

Set up your new policy.

Tell them you want it to start TODAY.

Get proof of insurance in your hands, whether that be an insurance card or an email confirming your insurance policy and coverages.

Then AND ONLY THEN call up your old insurance and tell them you want to cancel as of the effective date of your new policy. Provide them with the information on your new policy, including its effective date. Yes, in some cases they will accept a date that is in the past so long as you have proof.

You NEVER EVER want to try to do what BenH suggests for risk of possibly having a gap in your coverage.

BenH said:   You can cancel your current policy at ANY time as long as your new policy will take effect at that time.

Yes. Yes you can. Legally, yes. Theoretically, yes. On days when the planets are aligned, even practically yes.

But from a practical perspective is a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible.

There really is not time in the day to go thru each of the ways your technique can end up failing.

Yes, it has worked for you. There are may people for which not wearing a condom did not result in pregnancy. But that doesn't mean that avoiding condoms is an effective birth control method.

when dealing with incompetent insurance companies -- and aren't they all -- better to take the prudent approach and cancel the old if and only if the new is demonstrably in force.

I know from other threads I won't convince you. Doesn't matter. I've seen it screwed up. It's not worth the grief.

In my professional opinion, anyone considering following your advice needs to know that.

I am with Travelers on home and 3 cars now.
I have priced some others about 5 months ago, including Geico, progressive, Esurance, Allstate, and State Farm.

I'd like to get a quote from USAA, but they wont without being a member.
My dad was in the army back in the 60s.

He will NOT switch insurances as he is grandfathered in and they cannot cancel his policy with State Farm.
So, can I get him to become a member, without him actually taking out any insurance? Just so I can become a member?

Thanks

I just got a quote against USAA vs Safeco vs Farmers (my current). USAA being the most expensive while Safeco is the cheapest. I have seen many people have excellent rates with them, but I can't seem to generate the same. Anyone can tell me why?

When I switched from Allstate to USAA, Allstate sent me checks for my unused balance, so I even got to keep the credit card points too.

Also, Allstate backdated the unused policy costs to the date my USAA policy started, even though that was like a week earlier.

Some insurers will give you a discount of you switch to them more than a few weeks prior to expiration.

I don't think you are understanding me. I agree with you and have never advised not to wait until the new policy is "demonstrably in force."

When you call your new insurance company to start a new policy - whether you start it today, tomorrow, or next week - the first thing they want is payment...right now.
You give them payment (generally CC over the phone or computer) and then they send your out your documents. If you are doing this with the assistance of the Internet you can establish your new policy and have your new documents in hand in as little as 15-30 minutes.

Again - it doesn't matter if I am starting today, tomorrow, or next week - your new insurance company will deliver this information to you almost immediately via the Internet.

When you have this in hand you have enough "demonstrable" documentation to show that your new policy will be in effect on the date you specified.

Then, you can call up your old insurance company and cancel it for anytime on or after the date your new policy has begun.

Nothing you are saying contradicts anything I have said with the exception that you are stating to start the new policy TODAY. Not that there is anything wrong with your advice - it is IDENTICAL to mine - with the exception that I am stating to start the following day (which, to stress again, doesn't mean you have to wait an extra day for your proof of insurance). I only recommend this because it gives you time to receive your e-mail from your new place (in case it is late in the day) and or to give you a few hours of breathing room. You can certainly enact/cancel both on the initial day you call, but there is virtually no additional benefit to doing that.

I honestly can't believe we have to have a back and forth about this or how you interpret anything I have stated is incorrect. It seems the only thing you can call out on my method is that I don't have proof of new insurance - but you are not correct as I have state above the proof is in your inbox in minutes.

Arguably, I didn't specifically state on that first recommendation to ensure that your new policy documents were in hand (or in e-mail) before cancelling your existing - but something like that seems such common sense that I didn't think it needed to be said. Any adult that has dealt with insurance of any kind knows that they should be consistently covered and not to let their coverage lapse at all.

So, I apologize if I didn't hand hold around the obvious so you interpreted my method with the error of omission.

BEEFjerKAY said:   BenH said:   You can cancel your current policy at ANY time as long as your new policy will take effect at that time.

Yes. Yes you can. Legally, yes. Theoretically, yes. On days when the planets are aligned, even practically yes.

But from a practical perspective is a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible.

There really is not time in the day to go thru each of the ways your technique can end up failing.

Yes, it has worked for you. There are may people for which not wearing a condom did not result in pregnancy. But that doesn't mean that avoiding condoms is an effective birth control method.

when dealing with incompetent insurance companies -- and aren't they all -- better to take the prudent approach and cancel the old if and only if the new is demonstrably in force.

I know from other threads I won't convince you. Doesn't matter. I've seen it screwed up. It's not worth the grief.

In my professional opinion, anyone considering following your advice needs to know that.

Oregon USAA CIC member here for over 15 years. No tickets or accidents within the last 5 years.

Finally, for the first time in all of those years, I have run some competitor quotes -- from Geico, Amica, Wawanesa, State Farm, Ameriprise, Progressive, Liberty Mutual, and Esurance.

For similar coverage, only Geico and Esurance were cheaper -- both by about 40% less. The others were all more expensive by up to 24% more.

Looks like I will be making no changes at this time. Maybe I'll run some quotes again after another 15 years have passed.

I have usually ended up moving my car insurance every year or so. Anytime my rate goes over $500/6 months I do a reprice on all the major insurance companies. I have found that my range is 380-500 per 6 months. (I carry quite a bit over the minimums)

All of the companies have some sort of "discount" that they apply for the first period or two so that is part of the reason its always cheaper on renewals somewhere else. Then when the rate goes up to normal its time to look around. My last renewal was with Esurance and they raised my rate $65/6mos but its still below the threshold so most likely its not worth repricing yet.

I highly recommend Amica yet again. I had a total loss incident with them about 8 years ago and they paid full value for the car within one week. We have all our policies with them and i recommend them at any opportunity

I switched from Amica to Geico and it's $600 cheaper for the whole year, same coverage!

You can't make generic statements about who is cheaper because there are too many variables. Moving into a new zip code changes rates. Sometimes quite dramatically.

Amica isn't even available where I live.

OliverQuackenbush said:   I have usaa insurance, but am not a vet. Its easy to get USAA insurance, just say you are in the military they don't actually check. it is a better deal so go for it!

So you are falsifying being a military member? That's illegal there buddy. Good job. I've spent 13yrs in the military (7 till I retire) so I have earned the right to speak my mind

OliverQuackenbush said:   I have usaa insurance, but am not a vet. Its easy to get USAA insurance, just say you are in the military they don't actually check. it is a better deal so go for it!

They check when you try to make a claim and then you're going to jail for FRAUD as well as saying good bye to your license for driving without insurance. Have fun!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014