• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi I am in the process of comparing insurance rates.

Looking at past threads on insurance(2010 and 2006 from SIS), i notice most people like SIS vouch for Wawanesa Insurance. Similarly, i have the same Wawanesa insurance for many years. I always assume Wawanesa insurance to be the cheapest since they are pretty strict in terms of acceptance of those insured.

Lately, i been shopping around for insurance and got a price quotes that is about 100 dollar cheaper than Wawanesa(and better coverage(50,000-100,000 for Amperise uninsured bodily vs 30,000-60,000 for Wanwanesa) with free roadside assistance(costco member executive) for 6 months or about 200 dollars cheaper per year(Wawanesa policy is yearly renweal). Even E-Surance gave us a price quote cheaper than Wawanesa. We currently have persistent discount for Wawanesa(i am told it about 10%).

I note that Amerprise is giving me a discount for no accident for 6 years. Which is odd because driving record only covers 3 years in California.

Is it worth it to switch from Wawanesa to Amerprise? In the process i probably lose the pesistent discount if i ever decides to go back to Wawanesa. How are the rates for Amerpirse..do they increase after 6 months with no accidents?

Any advice is welcome.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Worked on insurance regulation among other financials for decades. Like with mortgages, here's where individual quotes a... (more)

snork615 (Mar. 31, 2013 @ 1:58p) |

In the past four years, your rates for auto insurance did not increase, correct(assuming no accidents/tickets/points)? S... (more)

mrgamers (Apr. 01, 2013 @ 2:39p) |

This is super helpful for California. You can compare how many issues people have had with the various insurance compani... (more)

WhiteGuy (Apr. 09, 2013 @ 10:48a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ameriprise gave me rates no one could touch...no one. That was maybe two years ago? Now I'm up as high as all the other companies, they blamed the hurricane in 2011 and superstorm in 2012. Its time to move on. So I'd say Ameriprise was a good option, but they still cause me to shop every two years.

It sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal with Ameriprise and Esurance - the only thing I check for is to ensure that they don't have too many complaints with the DOI. Check if your state has something similar to what you see here on Page 5: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/auto/rank/auto2011.pdf

My google search for this document was: "new york insurance complaint counts"

Note: With documents like that, make sure to use the complaint ratio - the number of complaints will be higher for a more popular insurer simply because they insure more people. The ratio is what matters.

I just switched from Progressive to Geico literally yesterday. My rates for 2 cars (each over 10 years old) dropped from $700/6 month policy period to about $375.

Even so, I'm always interested in finding other quotes so I looked to Ameriprise since I didn't know about them before. They are quoting me over $1000 / 6 month term and that is with a $250 comp deductible (they won't let you choose lower than that - I'm at $50 everywhere else).

Esurance quoted me a bit higher than my current was with Progressive. Wawanesa is not instant quote - so waiting to hear what they get back.

What I am surprised about is the huge discrepancy where someone is saying Ameriprise is cheaper than Wawanesa and I am finding Ameriprise to be way over the top of anyone else out there quoting me.

I called Ameriprise for auto and home. they were 2 or 3 grand more per year than I am paying now. Safeco all the way baby!!

Amerprise will starts you low and then inch their way UP, UP and all the way UPPPPPPPP.

Maybe the Ameriprise insurance rate is the "introductory" rates? @ tgif777, i assume that you had Ameriprise before. When did Ameriprise increase your premium( after 6 months or years?) And how much did it increase?

BenH said:   I just switched from Progressive to Geico literally yesterday. My rates for 2 cars (each over 10 years old) dropped from $700/6 month policy period to about $375.

Even so, I'm always interested in finding other quotes so I looked to Ameriprise since I didn't know about them before. They are quoting me over $1000 / 6 month term and that is with a $250 comp deductible (they won't let you choose lower than that - I'm at $50 everywhere else).

Esurance quoted me a bit higher than my current was with Progressive. Wawanesa is not instant quote - so waiting to hear what they get back.

What I am surprised about is the huge discrepancy where someone is saying Ameriprise is cheaper than Wawanesa and I am finding Ameriprise to be way over the top of anyone else out there quoting me.

hence the op worried question. It odd that Amerprise can beat Wawanesa Insurance. What the reason?

ankitgu said:   It sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal with Ameriprise and Esurance - the only thing I check for is to ensure that they don't have too many complaints with the DOI. Check if your state has something similar to what you see here on Page 5: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/auto/rank/auto2011.pdf

My google search for this document was: "new york insurance complaint counts"

Note: With documents like that, make sure to use the complaint ratio - the number of complaints will be higher for a more popular insurer simply because they insure more people. The ratio is what matters.

Good to know. I see that Ameriprise have ) ratio...... and it is near the top(means it good).

Does anyone know if Wawanesa will "quote match" another insurance company?

mrgamers said:   Does anyone know if Wawanesa will "quote match" another insurance company?

I don't think any insurance company will "quote match"

What they will do is reconsider your coverages, apply any possible discounts, and *possibly* reprocess your credit score (if used) to get you to a better rate with them.

After all that if they still turn out even $10 cheaper than who you say you are switching to they will likely say "well it is only $10 difference" rather than "let us match that $10".

I have ameriprise insurance and they do increase rate every 6 months. I saw as long as the other company does not increase the rate then its good to move otherwise why would you move and after year end up at the same price as ameriprise.

As noted in this thread(safeco) usually local insurance companies give good deal. I had safeco insurance in the past and was satisfied with hit.

i am going with esurance . They beat even Geico by almost 20% . 2 cars for less than $600 in CA . I think esurance is not everywhere yet.

i am going with esurance . They beat even Geico by almost 20% . 2 cars for less than $600 in CA . I think esurance is not in all the states.

thiaphou said:   We currently have persistent discount for Wawanesa(i am told it about 10%).sooo... you don't have the Good Driver discount?

Safeco, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Safeco!

The insuarce from Safeco is very cheap. That means you will get their very "cheap" service. My wife had a minor car accidentent two months ago and reported to them immediagely. No single call back to us. we left more than 10 voice messages to them and no call back.

Finally we got a person but no help in one months. The representative just told you she would call me back and after then no calls at all.

The accident happened two months ago but the claim is still not starting to process yet.

PLEASE GET RID OF SAFECO, the "VERY CHEAP" insuarce company!

fastt said:   I have ameriprise insurance and they do increase rate every 6 months. I saw as long as the other company does not increase the rate then its good to move otherwise why would you move and after year end up at the same price as ameriprise.

As noted in this thread(safeco) usually local insurance companies give good deal. I had safeco insurance in the past and was satisfied with hit.

any reason for the increase and by how much? Did you use Costco discount?

I've never been able to get a good rate from Ameriprise for car insurance, but for homeowners I've never found anyone even remotely close.

Kidda said:   Safeco, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Safeco!

The insuarce from Safeco is very cheap. That means you will get their very "cheap" service. My wife had a minor car accidentent two months ago and reported to them immediagely. No single call back to us. we left more than 10 voice messages to them and no call back.

Finally we got a person but no help in one months. The representative just told you she would call me back and after then no calls at all.

The accident happened two months ago but the claim is still not starting to process yet.

you do realize they probably broke insurance law for taking so long. In Ca, insurance must notify you in WRITING every 30 days of delay in processing your claim. Complain to your insurance commissioner.

In MN, Geico beat all other quotes by hundreds of dollars.

fastt said:   I saw as long as the other company does not increase the rateWawanesa has increased rates each of the past 2 years, but still competitive

but i do not get into accidents. i do not make claims. i view paying insurance premiums as giving free money to a company. i would prefer to choose the company that requires me to give it the least amount of money.

I had ameriprise for 3 years. During this time my insurance went up from ~$500/6mo to $930/6mo... I had an accident but I was not at fault, just fixed the car through ameriprise. Probably they did not like that.

When I inquired why the rate is going up every term I got some BS stories such as everybody is raising their rates, state laws etc. When I decided to move on suddenly they applies "discounts" to lower the rates to $600/6mo ... Crazy.

Girmantas said:   I had ameriprise for 3 years. During this time my insurance went up from ~$500/6mo to $930/6mo... I had an accident but I was not at fault, just fixed the car through ameriprise. Probably they did not like that.

When I inquired why the rate is going up every term I got some BS stories such as everybody is raising their rates, state laws etc. When I decided to move on suddenly they applies "discounts" to lower the rates to $600/6mo ... Crazy.

maybe one day there will be a website that organizes customers to make mass departures --- every customer signs up for alerts and everyone goes at once

nothing would be more pleasant to watch than see a company get slapped with a 20% cancellation rate because of one stupid move

Girmantas said:   I had ameriprise for 3 years. During this time my insurance went up from ~$500/6mo to $930/6mo... I had an accident but I was not at fault, just fixed the car through ameriprise. Probably they did not like that.

Why didn't you had the other insurance who driver at fault paid for the repair? In either case, your insurance should have recover the damages.I assume the other person didnt have enough insurance?

Just 1 accident and it went up that much?

xoneinax said:   fastt said:   I saw as long as the other company does not increase the rateWawanesa has increased rates each of the past 2 years, but still competitiveNot unilaterally -- my rates went down.

If you live in Southern California, try getting a quote from Mercury. Their rates are pretty competitive. I recently switched from Wawanesa to Mercury.

Years ago, I had them as well. They are cheap on rates, but if you ever have a claim, forget it.

ETA: Was hit by an uninsured driver and after contacting the state insurance commissioner, SafeCo did finally pay less my deductible.

mrgamers said:   Girmantas said:   I had ameriprise for 3 years. During this time my insurance went up from ~$500/6mo to $930/6mo... I had an accident but I was not at fault, just fixed the car through ameriprise. Probably they did not like that.

Why didn't you had the other insurance who driver at fault paid for the repair? In either case, your insurance should have recover the damages.I assume the other person didnt have enough insurance?

Just 1 accident and it went up that much?

Ameriprise fixes with OEM parts and you can go to any Body Shop if your car is newer that 2 years. The other party had one of those state minimum insurances and I did not feel like dealing with them.

In SoCal, have had insurance with Amerprise for 7 years. Never had any rate increase. My current multiple car policy is cheaper than my 2006 single car policy. Overall happy

How good is Wawanesa with claims?

I used to be with Ameriprise. After I got another car, Geico gave me a little lower rate than Ameri. I also got really tired of 30 page paper mails from ameriprise any time they do a minor change for my insurance. When I financed a car they sent in their 30 pages to dealership, sales man said he has never seen company sending whole policy to them. Also with Geico I can check and change everything online. I have a car dealer living upstairs and he's been dealing with Geico alot and he is very happy with them.

Other than that. I've never had a claims with them. I had good experience with their customer service.

I've always found it strange. I see these threads from time to time and inevitably people always say ameriprise raised their rates. I've had them for home and auto for years and never had any comparison quotes beat them. Usaa and NJ manufacturers included. Go figure. I've never had a claim with them but I am happy.

Wawanesa increased my premiums 50% last year. Jumped ship for Mercury... although Mercury is essentially a Satanic company.

LA County
2 Adults (Clean Records)
2 Newish/Niceish Cars
250/500
Mercury $1,316
Ameriprise $1,975

I've been dealing with an auto total loss claim with Mercury and they've been pretty good. N=1, I know.

Every time I renew, it raise $50-$75 and give me a BS reason (all companies raise their rate, everyone premium was raised, etc.)

mrgamers said:   Maybe the Ameriprise insurance rate is the "introductory" rates? @ tgif777, i assume that you had Ameriprise before. When did Ameriprise increase your premium( after 6 months or years?) And how much did it increase?

That is what the insurance do. You never know what will happen to you.

I don't have any claims for the past 15 years as you and I had the same thought as you too. But you never know someone will hit you back or your family members have accident. As long as you have claim, you will be pain with the company.

Crazytree said:   LA County
2 Adults (Clean Records)
2 Newish/Niceish Cars
250/500
Mercury $1,316
Ameriprise $1,975

Impressive. How many years of driving and number of mileage? When you mention clean records i assume you mean no accidents and no "points" visible on your driving record. Op low insurance rates seems a bit odd then.

How much was Wawanesa that makes you switch( on same/similar coverage).

Skipping 21 Messages...
This is super helpful for California. You can compare how many issues people have had with the various insurance companies:

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0100-consumers/0040-studies-reports/0020-complaint-study/AutomobileComposite.cfm

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014