• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Another way to look at it...My mechanic's recommendations, as far as ease of claims process:

Tier 1 (best to work with):
USAA
AAA
Ameriprise
State Farm

Tier 2:
Farmers
Amica

Tier 3:
Geico

YMMV. I recently had a bumper hit/run claim with Geico and got everything fixed, but had to fight for OEM, extended rental car coverage.

Changed to Farmer's with OEM endorsement, though price is slightly more than Geico (20%). The peace of mind is worth it for me to insure a 4 year old luxury car, though I know this isn't a FWF-friendly way of going about it.

Actually I'd kick farmers down to tier 3
I'd kick amica up to tier 1
And Ameriprise down to tier 2 or 3

xxx

citifan said:   I've always found it strange. I see these threads from time to time and inevitably people always say ameriprise raised their rates. I've had them for home and auto for years and never had any comparison quotes beat them. Usaa and NJ manufacturers included. Go figure. I've never had a claim with them but I am happy.

Envious, had them two years. First year my house went up $25/yr and cars went up $5/6mos...no biggie. This year house went up $200/yr, and cars $100/6mos. No claims, no late payments, heck I never even called them to say hey! Thought maybe my credit rating went down so I checked...nope.

From my understanding your existing insurance shouldn't change if your credit changes. Some companies use the credit scores initially, but don't adjust - for better or for worse under normal circumstances.

CheapFish said:   citifan said:   I've always found it strange. I see these threads from time to time and inevitably people always say ameriprise raised their rates. I've had them for home and auto for years and never had any comparison quotes beat them. Usaa and NJ manufacturers included. Go figure. I've never had a claim with them but I am happy.

Envious, had them two years. First year my house went up $25/yr and cars went up $5/6mos...no biggie. This year house went up $200/yr, and cars $100/6mos. No claims, no late payments, heck I never even called them to say hey! Thought maybe my credit rating went down so I checked...nope.

mrgamers said:   Crazytree said:   LA County
2 Adults (Clean Records)
2 Newish/Niceish Cars
250/500
Mercury $1,316
Ameriprise $1,975


Impressive. How many years of driving and number of mileage? When you mention clean records i assume you mean no accidents and no "points" visible on your driving record. Op low insurance rates seems a bit odd then.

How much was Wawanesa that makes you switch( on same/similar coverage).
14-17 years licensed... 12-15k annual miles. No accidents/points/convictions. Average across all carriers would be in the $2,300-2,800 range.

Wawanese quoted me about the same as Ameriprise... went up from what I am paying to Mercury now about 18mos ago.

*edit*

Also, these are relatively high-value vehicles.

CheapFish said:   citifan said:   I've always found it strange. I see these threads from time to time and inevitably people always say ameriprise raised their rates. I've had them for home and auto for years and never had any comparison quotes beat them. Usaa and NJ manufacturers included. Go figure. I've never had a claim with them but I am happy.

Envious, had them two years. First year my house went up $25/yr and cars went up $5/6mos...no biggie. This year house went up $200/yr, and cars $100/6mos. No claims, no late payments, heck I never even called them to say hey! Thought maybe my credit rating went down so I checked...nope.


maybe "points" on your driving records?

Just got the bill for Ameriprise auto insurance. Almost increased $200 for two cars for six months. I will get a quote from Wawanesa. Any others?

BenH said:   Esurance quoted me a bit higher than my current was with Progressive. Wawanesa is not instant quote - so waiting to hear what they get back.

What I am surprised about is the huge discrepancy where someone is saying Ameriprise is cheaper than Wawanesa and I am finding Ameriprise to be way over the top of anyone else out there quoting me.
People keep making the same mistake over and over again in thinking that the fact that an insurance company has offered a competitive quote to a person suggests that they should be competitive for them as well. It does not work like that and never has.

This is not to say that it's impossible to make some general observations regarding some of the companies and their business models. For instance, Esurance is a company that generally targets younger and less affluent clientele. Some of the other insurance companies that have been mentioned in this thread, such as Geico and Progressive, while being SUBSTANTIALLY larger, generally target higher risk non-standard drivers: young drivers, old drivers, drivers with a history of DUI's, accidents, etc... This generally means that their pricing structure is geared towards offering more advantageous terms to those. On the other hand, they tend not to handle the ultra-preferred market particularly well, which tends to be reflected by their pricing and product offerings (Esurance does not offer homeowners' insurance or umbrella -- they broker all homeowners' insurance quotes to Safeco and Security First and all umbrella insurance business goes elsewhere; Geico is an auto insurance company and also does not offer homeowners' policies -- they broker that business on to other companies).

If you fall in the ultra-preferred category, rather than the non-standard category that companies like Esurance, Geico and Progressive generally target, there tend to be much better companies both in terms of pricing and policy offerings. Liberty Mutual, for instance, tends to be very attractive to multi-car households with married drivers, homeowners, college education, high credit scores and excellent driving records (in some states some of this criteria doesn't apply or has limited applicability). Travelers is another carrier that tends to fall in this category -- there is a reason that it has captured a gigantic share of the umbrella insurance market out there. SafeCo, a Liberty Mutual owned company, tends to also appeal to this market segment. Esurance actually sends its homeowner's insurance business to SafeCo (and to Security First), which is kind of funny considering the fact that Esurance is owned by Allstate but SafeCo is owned by Liberty Mutual.

Then there's a company like Chubb, which tends to target the high end market (they offer policy provisions and features that other companies don't, which tend to be attractive for high end cars, expensive houses, etc...). Chubb's philosophy is that they'll never win if price is the only consideration but if you require a higher level of protection (at least in terms of their contractual features) than what can be offered by other companies, they can offer very attractive policies... they won't be cheap though.

Even the above generalizations, while accurate, tend to have lots and lots of exceptions. Some insurance companies are a lot more competitive in some states but not in others. It tends to get even more granular than that, as some companies are much more competitive in certain zip codes, tend to offer better pricing on certain types of cars, and just generally tend to emphasize certain specific factors.

Hence, the reason that all these posts saying "hey, I've got a great quote from company X; give them a try," while certainly well intentioned, are not going to do people any good.

krschee said:   Another way to look at it...My mechanic's recommendations, as far as ease of claims process:The "ease of claims process" can also be a tricky concept. For instance, because of the enormous lawsuit that State Farm previously fought and lost over its use of after-marked parts, it can be easier to get them to use OEM parts, at least in some states.

Also, because it is the largest auto insurance carrier in the US (at least based on the market share), they have the most leverage with their vendors, so, for instance, if you are given a certain daily allowance for a rental car while yours is in the shop, your money will go farther with State Farm, as it will have the lowest negotiated daily rates with rental car companies, like Enterprise. At the same time, at least in our state if you are insured with them and claim through them, they will only pay 80% of the daily rental fee up to a preset amount. This sounds very minor but if you ever find yourself in an accident, you'll see that it's quite common for body shops to take forever to get your car fixed, so that 20% of the daily rental fee that you have to pay out of pocket can very quickly turn into a pretty sizeable amount.

mrgamers said:   Why didn't you had the other insurance who driver at fault paid for the repair?In a number of states, state law categorically prohibits insurance companies from raising your rates for accidents that are deemed not to be your fault and in connection with which your insurance company successfully subrogates the claim and recovers all its payouts. If you are in such a state, it makes sense to check and see whether you'd be better off going through your own insurance company or the at-fault driver's company, as the decision will not affect your insurance rates.

This thread is a bit old but...
Got a renewal Wawanesa letter stating that due to "increase number of claims" this year from other people insured with them, that Wawanesa Insurace had to increase premiums for certain items like bodily injury, collision, insured motorist. Also, that the loyalty discount starts at year 1 instead of year 3. Overall there is increase of premium despite the cars being a year older now and no accidents/tickets

milkandcookies said:   Just got the bill for Ameriprise auto insurance. Almost increased $200 for two cars for six months. I will get a quote from Wawanesa. Any others?

milkandcookies how long have you had the ameriprise auto insurance before the increase?

Did they give you any reason as to why the increase? Did you have any accident?

mrgamers said:   milkandcookies said:   Just got the bill for Ameriprise auto insurance. Almost increased $200 for two cars for six months. I will get a quote from Wawanesa. Any others?

milkandcookies how long have you had the ameriprise auto insurance before the increase?

Did they give you any reason as to why the increase? Did you have any accident?


Good questions. I have been with them for at least 4 years (at work now) and no accidents or tickets.

milkandcookies said:   mrgamers said:   milkandcookies said:   Just got the bill for Ameriprise auto insurance. Almost increased $200 for two cars for six months. I will get a quote from Wawanesa. Any others?

milkandcookies how long have you had the ameriprise auto insurance before the increase?

Did they give you any reason as to why the increase? Did you have any accident?


Good questions. I have been with them for at least 4 years (at work now) and no accidents or tickets.

how did your quotes from wawanesa went? Is it cheaper?

Since you're in California, check out the Dept. of Insurance Auto Insurance Survey:
Link

vinster said:   Since you're in California, check out the Dept. of Insurance Auto Insurance Survey:
Link


hmm i just check it out. Something i just don't understand.....

I find that Wawanesa and USAA and a very little known company "California Capital" (only 1 bad review-but very small company)had the lowest BASE premium.

Playing around with the profile, Ameriprise underwriter is IDS have base premium of 1485 vs Wawanesa 1094 and yet Ameriprise still offer original poster a lower insurance. odd. IDS is higher than Wawanesa.

To the poster, vinster, how did your insurance premium compare to those in the survey?

geo123 said:   BenH said:   Esurance quoted me a bit higher than my current was with Progressive. Wawanesa is not instant quote - so waiting to hear what they get back.

What I am surprised about is the huge discrepancy where someone is saying Ameriprise is cheaper than Wawanesa and I am finding Ameriprise to be way over the top of anyone else out there quoting me.
People keep making the same mistake over and over again in thinking that the fact that an insurance company has offered a competitive quote to a person suggests that they should be competitive for them as well. It does not work like that and never has.

This is not to say that it's impossible to make some general observations regarding some of the companies and their business models. For instance, Esurance is a company that generally targets younger and less affluent clientele. Some of the other insurance companies that have been mentioned in this thread, such as Geico and Progressive, while being SUBSTANTIALLY larger, generally target higher risk non-standard drivers: young drivers, old drivers, drivers with a history of DUI's, accidents, etc... This generally means that their pricing structure is geared towards offering more advantageous terms to those. On the other hand, they tend not to handle the ultra-preferred market particularly well, which tends to be reflected by their pricing and product offerings (Esurance does not offer homeowners' insurance or umbrella -- they broker all homeowners' insurance quotes to Safeco and Security First and all umbrella insurance business goes elsewhere; Geico is an auto insurance company and also does not offer homeowners' policies -- they broker that business on to other companies).

If you fall in the ultra-preferred category, rather than the non-standard category that companies like Esurance, Geico and Progressive generally target, there tend to be much better companies both in terms of pricing and policy offerings. Liberty Mutual, for instance, tends to be very attractive to multi-car households with married drivers, homeowners, college education, high credit scores and excellent driving records (in some states some of this criteria doesn't apply or has limited applicability). Travelers is another carrier that tends to fall in this category -- there is a reason that it has captured a gigantic share of the umbrella insurance market out there. SafeCo, a Liberty Mutual owned company, tends to also appeal to this market segment. Esurance actually sends its homeowner's insurance business to SafeCo (and to Security First), which is kind of funny considering the fact that Esurance is owned by Allstate but SafeCo is owned by Liberty Mutual.

Then there's a company like Chubb, which tends to target the high end market (they offer policy provisions and features that other companies don't, which tend to be attractive for high end cars, expensive houses, etc...). Chubb's philosophy is that they'll never win if price is the only consideration but if you require a higher level of protection (at least in terms of their contractual features) than what can be offered by other companies, they can offer very attractive policies... they won't be cheap though.

Even the above generalizations, while accurate, tend to have lots and lots of exceptions. Some insurance companies are a lot more competitive in some states but not in others. It tends to get even more granular than that, as some companies are much more competitive in certain zip codes, tend to offer better pricing on certain types of cars, and just generally tend to emphasize certain specific factors.

Hence, the reason that all these posts saying "hey, I've got a great quote from company X; give them a try," while certainly well intentioned, are not going to do people any good.


Liberty was about the same as Ameriprise for me. Geico beat both by $350 for six months!!!! Waiting for Wawanesa. Progressive was not competitive.

Worked on insurance regulation among other financials for decades. Like with mortgages, here's where individual quotes at points in time and across geographies vary all over the place for inscrutable reasons. Get quotes from at least 5 of the "better" choices--it doesn't cost to ask. Preferably by e-mail so there is documentation, and if reneged upon, you move on.

milkandcookies said:   mrgamers said:   milkandcookies said:   Just got the bill for Ameriprise auto insurance. Almost increased $200 for two cars for six months. I will get a quote from Wawanesa. Any others?

milkandcookies how long have you had the ameriprise auto insurance before the increase?

Did they give you any reason as to why the increase? Did you have any accident?


Good questions. I have been with them for at least 4 years (at work now) and no accidents or tickets.


In the past four years, your rates for auto insurance did not increase, correct(assuming no accidents/tickets/points)? Some people claims Ameriprise did a bait and switch on them by rising rates on the first renewal.

This is super helpful for California. You can compare how many issues people have had with the various insurance companies:


http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0100-consumers/0040-studies-reports/0020-complaint-study/AutomobileComposite.cfm



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014