• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.businessinsider.com/student-sends-great-cover-letter-...

The fact that so many banks want this kid for simply being honest or "blunt" should say a lot about how screwed up that whole process is. Not to be one of those people who criticizes the industry on a general level, but more specifically the culture surrounding recruitment. The kid was clever and props to him, but it just feels like something is wrong when we shit our pants for some kid who simply wrote the truth, and by his measure an average case of it too. Good on the kid, good on the banks for calling him up, bad on all of us for kissing asses I suppose.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
classic. Thanks for sharing.

tajar96 (Jan. 17, 2013 @ 3:50p) |

Maybe to avoid some sort of filter catching or blocking the email.

billrubin (Jan. 17, 2013 @ 10:28p) |

I am thinking this an east coast thiing. I don't get it either.

germanpope (Jan. 18, 2013 @ 7:20a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm sorry, but I smell hoax.

Disappointed..I thought it was going to be a real rant.
'You are part of an industry that embraces excessive risk knowing taxpayers will bail you out if things go wrong, now please take me on an an intern!'

Now that everybody knows about this, you're gonna see hundreds if not thousands of copycats sending out similar cover letters, and this tactic will not work again in the near future.

This only likely worked because an important person thought it was creative. That one comment spurred the next one, and the next. There is nothing new about blunt cover letters. This is all about someone important taking a liking and everyone falling in line.

Glitch99 said:   I'm sorry, but I smell hoax.

Agreed it was poorly written and overly self deprecating. People send crap letters like this all the time, nothing special. Certainly no one with a near perfect GPA should be trashing that accomplishment or calling their school mediocre. I wouldn't be surprised if some HR subhuman did like it though, such is my level of disregard for them.

Glitch99 said:   I'm sorry, but I smell hoax.

Yes most of them turn out to be hoaxes now a days.

I've received blunt cover letters before, so there is nothing particularly impressive about writing one. This is well written and has a good balance between being blunt and providing some good information that recruiters cared about. You have to be careful as to not come across as too casual, since successful people in the business world must frequently navigate in-office politics with finesse. Straight shooters typically only make it if they have a decisive technical advantage.

I work in investment banking, so I was forwarded this letter earlier this week when it was first going around. Just because he is getting called by banks, its only for a phone screen and to see how the kid stacks up to other prospective candidates. Everyone seems to be making such a big deal (not only here, but on other websites as well) about how this means how stupid hiring is or the people on wall street don't know whats going on, etc. Most of you don't know how the recruiting process works within financial services, nor do you understand that this letter is being forwarded around by junior level employees (analyst, associate, VP) who find it amusing more than anything else. The kid knew he was a long shot, so thought he would try something different, and he was able to get someone's attention. At this point, more than he had hoped, but at least he didn't submit the same, boring cover letter that everyone else did. I liked it.

I'm a bitter banker, so not defending my colleagues, but its annoying when people comment about stuff they know nothing about.

Promising letter, then he misspelled crap. You can't hire someone who misspells crap.

v023985 said:   I work in investment banking, so I was forwarded this letter earlier this week when it was first going around. Just because he is getting called by banks, its only for a phone screen and to see how the kid stacks up to other prospective candidates. Everyone seems to be making such a big deal (not only here, but on other websites as well) about how this means how stupid hiring is or the people on wall street don't know whats going on, etc. Most of you don't know how the recruiting process works within financial services, nor do you understand that this letter is being forwarded around by junior level employees (analyst, associate, VP) who find it amusing more than anything else. The kid knew he was a long shot, so thought he would try something different, and he was able to get someone's attention. At this point, more than he had hoped, but at least he didn't submit the same, boring cover letter that everyone else did. I liked it.

I'm a bitter banker, so not defending my colleagues, but its annoying when people comment about stuff they know nothing about.

Uhhh.. it's the internet. And this is a forum. We(I speak collectively for all human beings) are allowed to comment on stuff we know nothing about.

I used to be a banker at a BB firm and this is exactly the crap that the hiring manager would like. Don't get me wrong, it's a great grind career with a lot of money but don't pretend people in banking need perfect applicants and require the typical rounds and rounds of interviews/butt sucking.

The kid is in school with a near perfect GPA so that's a reason for not having a lot of experience. Honest and candid. I don't see why. Yes I'm familiar with the rounds and rounds of interviews super saturday and stuff like that but there is ALWAYS exceptions. Sometimes it's refreshing to see something new hoax or not. v023985 said:   I work in investment banking, so I was forwarded this letter earlier this week when it was first going around. Just because he is getting called by banks, its only for a phone screen and to see how the kid stacks up to other prospective candidates. Everyone seems to be making such a big deal (not only here, but on other websites as well) about how this means how stupid hiring is or the people on wall street don't know whats going on, etc. Most of you don't know how the recruiting process works within financial services, nor do you understand that this letter is being forwarded around by junior level employees (analyst, associate, VP) who find it amusing more than anything else. The kid knew he was a long shot, so thought he would try something different, and he was able to get someone's attention. At this point, more than he had hoped, but at least he didn't submit the same, boring cover letter that everyone else did. I liked it.

motuwallet said:   Agreed it was poorly written and overly self deprecating. People send crap letters like this all the time, nothing special. Certainly no one with a near perfect GPA should be trashing that accomplishment or calling their school mediocre. I wouldn't be surprised if some HR subhuman did like it though, such is my level of disregard for them.I'm sure that my son (who is graduating from an above-average state university next May) was putting stuff like this in his letters, but he had figured out that the jobs at the top firms go to the kids graduating from the top schools. However, I guess he wrote a good enough letter since he ended up with offers from two banks and now has a good paying job (not 6 figures, but good) for when he graduates in the spring. But he had given up trying to get something from an investment bank because he saw they were all just recruiting from the Ivy League schools. This kid obviously noticed the same thing.

Certainly getting an internship was very difficult for my son. There's a lot of competition out there and the companies can choose to take from the better schools.

v023985 said:   I work in investment banking, so I was forwarded this letter earlier this week when it was first going around. Just because he is getting called by banks, its only for a phone screen and to see how the kid stacks up to other prospective candidates. Everyone seems to be making such a big deal (not only here, but on other websites as well) about how this means how stupid hiring is or the people on wall street don't know whats going on, etc. Most of you don't know how the recruiting process works within financial services, nor do you understand that this letter is being forwarded around by junior level employees (analyst, associate, VP) who find it amusing more than anything else. The kid knew he was a long shot, so thought he would try something different, and he was able to get someone's attention. At this point, more than he had hoped, but at least he didn't submit the same, boring cover letter that everyone else did. I liked it.

and it's annoying when people FEEL as though they are elite.

I got this when it first made it around, maybe 7 hops before it got to me. I'm about 80% sure its legit. The email headers checked out (I work in computer security).

I don't think its special though, just funny. Its hilarious to me that chain emails are now news.

I tried something similar in an interview once:

CFO: What motivates you?

Me: Money. I can tell you all the candy coated reasons that most people give you. But at the end of the day, it's all about money.

CFO: I appreciate your candor.

Didn't get the job. Weird.

I can't understand why this is news.

chibimike said:   Promising letter, then he misspelled crap. You can't hire someone who misspells crap.

It appears crapp is in blue, which means it was edited in Outlook as part of a forward/reply. I think the person who gave this to someone, edited it and took out the word "shit" and purposely misspelled crap. That is my theory. I really think this guy put the word "shit" in his cover letter, lol.

steve1jr said:   Disappointed..I thought it was going to be a real rant.
'You are part of an industry that embraces excessive risk knowing taxpayers will bail you out if things go wrong, now please take me on an an intern!'

Agree. I don't see anything so special about this letter - a bit more direct or honest than an average cover letter, but nothing worth "wow" about it. And i wouldn't call it "hilarious!"

kloakndaggers said:   

The kid is in school with a near perfect GPA so that's a reason for not having a lot of experience. Honest and candid.

The high GPA doesn't mean much if it comes from a no name, less selective school.

He should get a pat on his back for thinking outside the box. At a minimum, atleast get him an interview or a foot inside the door.

LongDongSilver said:   Glitch99 said:   I'm sorry, but I smell hoax.

Just like the 25 years old beauty seeking Wall St sugar daddy on CL a couple of years ago.

classic. Thanks for sharing.

jnheinz said:   chibimike said:   Promising letter, then he misspelled crap. You can't hire someone who misspells crap.
It appears crapp is in blue, which means it was edited in Outlook as part of a forward/reply. I think the person who gave this to someone, edited it and took out the word "shit" and purposely misspelled crap. That is my theory. I really think this guy put the word "shit" in his cover letter, lol.
Maybe to avoid some sort of filter catching or blocking the email.

Crazytree said:   I can't understand why this is news.

I am thinking this an east coast thiing. I don't get it either.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.