• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Not rocket science but very effective. Especially works with SPG AMEX and Chase Sapphire.

For example, I had a ~$1000 purchase to make. I just called Chase, Citi and AMEX. I told them that I have a largish expense coming up and trying to decide which CC to put it on; and if they would give me a promo based on a spending requirement, it would help me decide.

A lot of the time, one of them ends up giving me something. E.g., just now, Chase and Citi said sorry but the AMEX SPG rep gave me 3000 points for $1000 spend. Worked perfect for me. Since I value SPG at about 2-3x cents per point, this is an easy 6-9% cash-back for me.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks for the tip. Wish I would have thought of this before I put my dad's new roof on my CSP.

Good tip. A little birdie told me that I'll be making 5 1000+ purchases every month for the forseeable future.

Fantastic idea - thanks OP!

OP, where were you about 2 months ago when I also had a new roof put on which I put on CC. Never thought about calling the credit card company.

Well, to be fair, I don't think the incentive would necessarily be a percentage of the spend. I doubt I can snag 10k or 20k points even if I had $5-6k spend coming up.
The best I have ever scored is a 5k bonus (I forget which card, most likely CSP) for 2k spend. I wonder if anyone else has tried this and been successful.

In general, I have found that one can get innovative and "suggest" promos to CCs and sometimes they will accept. The last time my United MileagePlus card was up for a $95 renewal, I called and asked for promos to offset it. CSR says 5k. I asked for 10k and he said 5k is limit for United. I asked if he can put 5k miles on United and another 5k points on my Freedom or CSP if I agree to a spend requirement. Silence for 30 seconds and then he says yes to CSP, and no spend requirement.

Of course, a month later, I still canceled my United card

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014