Should I rent-out or sell my house?

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
JTausTX said:   startupdad said:   Update:

Here's what I did:

I payed down the principal to get rid of PMI and I also re-amortized to get the payment even lower. Current Payment which includes property taxes and insurance is $1750. I hired a property management company for 8% and they immediately got swamped with applications. Got a renter for $2150.

Income: $2150
Costs: $1750 + $50 (lawn care) + $172 (management fee)

Result: $178 cash flow positive per month, which I figure will easily cover any maintenance.

Green for update! Does the management company take care of everything for you? 8% sounds high.

Yeah they take care of everything to the point that I don't have to think about it, just receive reports & money from them. The fee is 8% and they don't charge for the turnover of finding renters, or anything else for that matter.

What state is it and who are you using that you get 8% with if you don't mind sharing? I've found a couple that are both 10% and have a bazillion fees.

startupdad said:   Update:

Here's what I did:

I payed down the principal to get rid of PMI and I also re-amortized to get the payment even lower. Current Payment which includes property taxes and insurance is $1750. I hired a property management company for 8% and they immediately got swamped with applications. Got a renter for $2150.

Income: $2150
Costs: $1750 + $50 (lawn care) + $172 (management fee)

Result: $178 cash flow positive per month, which I figure will easily cover any maintenance.

Wow. Is it really this thin of a margin that LL have on their property - renting. If the house is not rented for even a month in a year, the cash flow is negative. Of course the property will appreciate, but the capital gains will be taxable since its not a primary residence.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014