• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
From Moneyhustler I lean that Trade King has a very attractive bonus at http://content.tradeking.com/trading/stocks-options/200-cash.php... 

It is for $200 after depositing $3,000 and doing 3 trades (each at $4.95) within 90 days, and keeping money there for six months. You can do only three trades by buying twice and selling once the same stock. Of course you could make three purchases, and then pay a fourth commission when you liquidate, or possibly transfer the position out later. I opened the account and am ACHing  money over (slightly more than $3000, so I can not be left with univested funds that I cannot withdraw without falling below $3,000).

They also are offering referral bonuses of $50 for you and $50 for a friend, but it is likely the friend cannot get the $200 offer.

The dollar value of this offer is small, but after commissions it pays 12.2%, plus (or minus), the results of the trading you do, which is far higher than most offers out there. They also in another ad, offer to reimburse up to $150 in transfer fees charged by the other broker. Since you have to do at least three trades, many will not want to bother with transferring positions in, but there may be cases where you were planning to liquidate positions, and this is an attractive way to fund the account, and then make your sales at their low commissions.

" New customers are eligible for this special offer after opening a TradeKing account with a minimum of $3,000. You must apply for cash credit by clicking through this page to our online application. To qualify for this offer, new accounts must be opened by 4/30/2015, funded with $3,000 or more within 30 days of account opening, and executed at least 3 trades within 90 days of account opening. New accounts receive cash credit within 10 business days of meeting promotion requirements. Offer is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other offer. Not valid for any retirement accounts. Open to US residents only and excludes employees of TradeKing Group, Inc. or its affiliates, current TradeKing, LLC account holders and new account holders who have maintained an account with TradeKing, LLC during the last 30 days. TradeKing can modify or discontinue this offer at anytime without notice. The minimum funds of $3,000 must remain in the account (minus any trading losses) for a minimum of 6 months or TradeKing may charge the account for the cost of the cash awarded to the account. Offer is valid for only one account per customer. Other restrictions may apply. This is not an offer or solicitation in any jurisdiction where we are not authorized to do business."

rated:
I didn't see an account closing fee.   There are fees for inactive accounts and outgoing ACAT transfers.  Cash deposit / no margin looks like the best choice.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   From Moneyhustler I lean that Trade King has a very attractive bonus at http://content.tradeking.com/trading/stocks-options/200-cash.php... 

Thanks for sharing.

I used Tradeking for about a year during/after the Zecco merger/acquisition and found their interface pretty lackluster, although not nearly as bulky/unintuitive as Zecco. I had to call Tradeking quite a few times for random things, and they were generally quite good about compromising on fees or resolving my concerns.

I eventually ACAT'ed out and closed my account to take advantage of another bonus offer and was only assessed the transfer out fee, for which the subsequent broker reimbursed

rated:
I just talked to Sharebuilder. Once they had a no new bonuses if you had already received one. This they did it by type of account, I was able to get a small bonus by opening a joint account, since my previous one had been individual.

The current policy is to go back only six months.

They now have a $600 for $125,000 offer (hold for 9 months I think), which is one of the more attractive offers out there for that size of funds moved. Their offers are at http://content.sharebuilder.com/mgdcon/jump/Web/welcome/allwt/LS...

An interesting feature of their schedule is that the bonus as a percentage of the new money goes up as the size goes down, with say $100 gotten for $10,000, which makes their offers more attractive for smaller sums.  While maximizing bonuses is a problem, they may be useful for  smaller sums left over after going with others firms.

In some cases, a given sum would bring bigger bonuses if divided into two accounts (thing spouses). The six month limit would prevent opening two at one time.

She said it was fairly easy to combine accounts (my experience a few years ago was that it did take a notarized document in some cases).

They said they had a limit of three individual accounts per person, possibly aimed at preventing you from  taking advantage of them by opening multiple small accounts, say one every six months.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   I just talked to Sharebuilder. Once they had a no new bonuses if you had already received one. This they did it by type of account, I was able to get a small bonus by opening a joint account, since my previous one had been individual.

The current policy is to go back only six months.

Thanks for sharing -- amazing change in policy indeed. Would you know if this is documented anywhere? That is, the change from once per "lifetime" of the account to once per 6 months? I just re-read the Sharebuilder promo and it just has the standard language about duration the funds have to remain.

If this holds true, it really changes the whole playing field, as I've been strategically transferring from one broker to the next, waiting patiently until the max offer pops up, before capitalizing. If Sharebuilder (and hopefully other firms) have moved to just a 6 month, or even 2 year, requirement, it'd really open up the flood gates for churning like a credit card -- e.g. Chase cards specify that applicants only qualify for the promotion/points/bonus every 24 months.

rated:
Ameritrade has a targeted offer, expires 4/13/2015.  
To receive commission-free Internet equity, option, or ETF trades and $100 bonus, account must be funded with $25,000-$49,999 by 4/13/15. To receive $200 bonus, account must be funded with $50,000-$99,999 by 4/13/15. To receive $500 bonus, account must be funded with $100,000-$249,999 by 4/13/15. To receive $1,000 bonus, account must be funded with $250,000 or more by 4/13/15.

rated:

SBpromo (228.46kB)
Disclaimer
monto888 said:   ...amazing change in policy indeed. Would you know if this is documented anywhere? That is, the change from once per "lifetime" of the account to once per 6 months? I just re-read the Sharebuilder promo and it just has the standard language about duration the funds have to remain.
The “6 month” policy has been in effect since at least 2012. I can confirm by personal experience. I’ve attached one of the many offers I’ve received from Sharebuilder that has the “documentation” you requested. 

By the way, as the letter states, the bonus is good for existing Sharebuilder customers as well by using promo code AG15GET600*Q1D (expires 04.01.2015).

rated:
mh83 said:   
monto888 said:   ...amazing change in policy indeed. Would you know if this is documented anywhere? That is, the change from once per "lifetime" of the account to once per 6 months? I just re-read the Sharebuilder promo and it just has the standard language about duration the funds have to remain.
The “6 month” policy has been in effect since at least 2012. I can confirm by personal experience. I’ve attached one of the many offers I’ve received from Sharebuilder that has the “documentation” you requested. 

By the way, as the letter states, the bonus is good for existing Sharebuilder customers as well by using promo code AG15GET600*Q1D (expires 04.01.2015).

The image of terms doesn't mention any restrictions about the bonus, except "ShareBuilder can end this promotion at any time, and refuse or recover any bonus, if it determines you violated ShareBuilder’s Account Agreement." In the past, I've only heard of once per lifetime bonus for the ING or Capital 1 360 Savings and Checking; not with ShareBuilder.
Their Terms seem to assume that you're going to open up an IRA. For regular, individual accounts (non IRA), ShareBuilder normally reports these bonuses on 1099-MISC.

rated:
Looks like Fidelity has put me on their bonus blacklist.  I'm going for the targeted Ameritrade offer and maybe Sharebuilder as well (for existing accounts): AG15GET600*Q1M -- EXPIRES 4/1/15.     

rated:
lokimoki said:   Looks like Fidelity has put me on their bonus blacklist.  I'm going for the targeted Ameritrade offer and maybe Sharebuilder as well (for existing accounts): AG15GET600*Q1M -- EXPIRES 4/1/15.     

Thought this happened to me too a few months ago. When I went to their bonus page and logged in, the website stated I did not qualify for cash bonuses.

Opened an online chat, they gave me a phone number to call, and was able to open an account and receive the bonus without a problem. The bonus actually hit sooner (within days of funding) than in the past when I got the bonus through the website (would take weeks). So you might want to give it a try.

rated:
wxl31 said:   
lokimoki said:   Looks like Fidelity has put me on their bonus blacklist.  I'm going for the targeted Ameritrade offer and maybe Sharebuilder as well (for existing accounts): AG15GET600*Q1M -- EXPIRES 4/1/15.     

Thought this happened to me too a few months ago. When I went to their bonus page and logged in, the website stated I did not qualify for cash bonuses.

Opened an online chat, they gave me a phone number to call, and was able to open an account and receive the bonus without a problem. The bonus actually hit sooner (within days of funding) than in the past when I got the bonus through the website (would take weeks). So you might want to give it a try.

No bonuses for me when adding money to an existing account.  Fidelity said these are now "invitation only" which doesn't seem accurate.  My last bonus was in May 2013.

rated:
  What did you do to get on their blacklist.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   
  What did you do to get on their blacklist.

No clue. Fidelity said everything was OK with my account and that I didn't "abuse" the bonuses over the years.  Then they said all bonuses are now "invitation only."  I'm hoping this is a two-year look-back since my last bonus was May 2013.  Either way I'm moving some Fidelity positions to Ameritrade and ETrade (who said they'd match the Ameritrade offer).

rated:
Sharebuilder has a working code for 50 dollars by making 1 trade. There is no minimum to trigger the bonus. I received it within a week of making a small trade. The funds are investable, but not transferable for 4 months. MC50FT is the code on account creation. it expires 1/29/16

http://content.sharebuilder.com/MgdCon/jump/Web/welcome/allWT/ma...

rated:
By the way Zions Direct is free stock and bond trades for accounts $250K +. 

rated:
Ameritrade bonuses post same-day.  Sharebuilder: no TOD accounts.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015