• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Posted in another thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1335073

Limited time ML offer 

Nominally targeted to BofA CC holders.  Enroll and open by 9/10/14.  Fund within 30 days, keep balance for 6 months.

20k $100
$50k $250
$100k $500
$200k $1000

rated:
psychtobe said:   
smileshadow said:   
psychtobe said:   Anyone who has done the Fidelity/AmericanAirline s offer - how long after your initial deposit until the miles showed up in your account?

We're at 7 weeks now. I was hoping to have some miles to use for the holidays.

I did it on 4/13 and got a note stating "Thank you for funding your Fidelity Account.® Your American Airline s® AAdvantage® miles will be credited to your AAdvantage account within the next eight weeks."
The miles showed up on 5/15.

Thanks for this data point. I called Fido and they said there had been an error during processing (funny, they didn't let me know that in the 2 months that have elapsed). Anyway after 25 minutes on the phone they said they straightened it out and will call tomorrow to confirm.

I wasn't stressing the miles, moreso the lack of any indication whatsoever that I had registered/qualified for the promo.

I was thinking about doing this, but wanted to know ahead of time is there a specific amount of time someone has to wait in order to try again or can you do it again.  If I can't do it again I'll have to rethink the process.

rated:

bottomforming said:
I was thinking about doing this, but wanted to know ahead of time is there a specific amount of time someone has to wait in order to try again or can you do it again.  If I can't do it again I'll have to rethink the process.

That question is answered on the website's offer page: https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/":aa 
"Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months."

rated:
neophyte said:   Posted in another thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1335073 

Limited time ML offer 

Nominally targeted to BofA CC holders.  Enroll and open by 9/10/14.  Fund within 30 days, keep balance for 6 months.

20k $100
$50k $250
$100k $500
$200k $1000

Nice deal. Keep in mind in some states $100k of assets in MerrillEdge also bumps you to BofA's Platinum Honors Preferred Reward status that gives you 100 free trades a month. That's worth $695/month. There are a bunch of other goodie that came with it too, like ATM fee rebates on any ATM using BoA debit card (ala Fidelity or Ally Bank style) and a 75% increase on BoA rewards credit cards making it very attractive (> 5% Cash Back on gas, everyday), to name a few.

rated:
I'm going for the Merrill Edge bonus (expires Sept. 10), and reps say you get a 1099 for any amount.  Did anyone actually get a 1099 from Merrill?  Thanks

rated:
lokimoki said:   I'm going for the Merrill Edge bonus (expires Sept. 10), and reps say you get a 1099 for any amount.  Did anyone actually get a 1099 from Merrill?  Thanks
  I thought that if the bonus was added to a ROTH IRA it was treated as interest rather than income. Too bad if that's not the case. 

rated:
DrForce said:   
lokimoki said:   I'm going for the Merrill Edge bonus (expires Sept. 10), and reps say you get a 1099 for any amount.  Did anyone actually get a 1099 from Merrill?  Thanks
  I thought that if the bonus was added to a ROTH IRA it was treated as interest rather than income. Too bad if that's not the case. 

Talking about an individual account not an IRA.

rated:
neophyte said:   Posted in another thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1335073 

Limited time ML offer 

20k $100
$50k $250
$100k $500
$200k $1000

Thanks for the heads up, I was planning on doing this but now the reward just got sweeter.

rated:

Limited time ML offer 

20k $100
$50k $250
$100k $500
$200k $1000

Thanks for posting this.  Wish I could tap into this deal, but all my easy-to-move assets are tied up at ShareBuilder and E*Trade until next year due to signup and retention bonusses.  Maybe they will run the same special again next year. 
One thing to note is that this new $1k offer requires you keep the funds with them for > 180 days, the old $600 bonus only required the funds stay with them for > 90 days.

rated:
Dumb question... what happens if market value of the securities that I move over dip below the bonus levels? i.e. Let's say that I move 100,000.01 in stock and the market goes down.

rated:
SaulHudson said:   Dumb question... what happens if market value of the securities that I move over dip below the bonus levels? i.e. Let's say that I move 100,000.01 in stock and the market goes down.
  Read the fine print. Usually, market losses by themselves are not a problem.

rated:

Limited time ML offer 

20k $100
$50k $250
$100k $500
$200k $1000

extended to November 6 via the same link

rated:
Does cost basis get carried over, especially if there are splits etc. I like the idea of moving some money around, but don't want to hate the tax time.

rated:
jeeves said:   Does cost basis get carried over, especially if there are splits etc. I like the idea of moving some money around, but don't want to hate the tax time.

Yes, the basis is carried over. I think it is better to transfer relatively simple cases and not to do dividend reinvestment with shares that you use for the transfer bonus game.

rated:
I'm planning to send funds to Merrill Edge for the $1k bonus. I'll need to convert Vanguard mutual funds to ETFs. Some of the fund shares are "non-covered", meaning that Vanguard does not track cost basis for shares purchased before Jan 2012. I asked Vanguard what happens to cost basis in this case.

Their response: "The cost basis for all non-covered shares will carry over as average cost. When the shares are converted to ETF shares, each individual lot will be listed and will be locked. Clients will not have the option to edit these lots."

Does this change the cost basis to average cost officially and forever for these shares? Or am I still able to use my own records and sell specific lots for maximum tax advantage?

rated:
Pipboy said:   I'm planning to send funds to Merrill Edge for the $1k bonus. I'll need to convert Vanguard mutual funds to ETFs. Some of the fund shares are "non-covered", meaning that Vanguard does not track cost basis for shares purchased before Jan 2012. I asked Vanguard what happens to cost basis in this case.

Their response: "The cost basis for all non-covered shares will carry over as average cost. When the shares are converted to ETF shares, each individual lot will be listed and will be locked. Clients will not have the option to edit these lots."

Does this change the cost basis to average cost officially and forever for these shares? Or am I still able to use my own records and sell specific lots for maximum tax advantage?

What happens to Capital Gains when you sell your Mutual Funds? Is it worth to convert funds for the sake of sign on bonus ?

rated:
Conversion to ETF isn't a taxable event. Vanguard considers it a conversion to a different share class, like going from Investor to Admiral shares.

rated:
all this assumes you have unrealized gains on those funds. If they're losers, you might want to sell for tax losses now and buy something similar but not identical in the new account. I'll leave wash sales and 'substantially identical" up to someone else.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014