• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
BBVA Compass is offering free Kindle Fire HD if you open new checking account with them.Link below :

http://www.bbvacompass.com/special/201301/kindle/

Applicable only for residents of Alabama[min 19 yrs] & AZ, CA, CO, FL, TX ,NM [min 18 yrs]

Consumer checking accounts opened from January 14, 2013 to March 31, 2013, may be eligible for a Kindle Fire HD. Checking accounts are subject to approval, which may include credit approval. $25 minimum opening deposit required. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions (account disclosure) for complete details. Products, features, and benefits offered with accounts are subject to change. Miscellaneous fees and service charges may apply. Please review the following information to understand how to qualify for the bonus.

Within ninety (90) days of account opening, the accountholder must meet both of the following requirements: (A) have at least one qualifying direct deposit of at least $300 from an unrelated third party post to the account; AND (B) three (3) online bill payments of at least $50 each to unrelated third parties through the BBVA Compass Online Banking with Online Bill Pay service must post to the account. Transfers made from PayPal, ING Direct, or from accounts owned by the accountholder (or related parties) at other financial institutions do not qualify. Online bill payments must be processed electronically and completed by the deadline. Payments made by check or person-to-person (P2P) payments do not qualify. Payments made by a third party debiting your account do not qualify.

The Kindle Fire HD will be shipped via UPS or FedEx to the statement address associated with the checking account. Signature will be required at time of delivery. Bonus will be mailed within 90 days of meeting the eligibility requirements. Account must be open and in good standing at the time bonus is mailed.

Offer valid only for new consumer checking accountholders who have not had an existing BBVA Compass consumer checking account within the last 90 days. NBA Checking Accounts are not eligible. BBVA Compass employees and household members are not eligible. Maximum of one(1) bonus per household. Offer not valid with any other offer and subject to change without notice. BBVA Compass may report the value of the bonus to the IRS as required by law. Kindle, Kindle Fire, Amazon, and the Amazon Kindle logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Kindle devices are given away on behalf of BBVA Compass. Amazon is not a sponsor of this promotion. Other limitations may apply.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Wow, mine just came today. I wasn't even sure if I completed requirements. Now I gotta figure out how to install a custo... (more)

crovax4444 (Jul. 01, 2013 @ 8:12p) |

Qualified for promotion months ago. Had to file BBB to get the Kindle. After about 2 weeks of filing the complaint, the ... (more)

fatbill (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 9:38a) |

Received Kindle yesterday via Fedex only 8 months after completing requirements.

fatbill (Sep. 19, 2013 @ 9:04a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Here are a few of the branches in the Bay Area.

Fremont
Livermore
Walnut Creek
San Carlos
Burlingame

Wonder if tax refund via DD will satisfy the DD requirement?

what amount 1099 for Kindle they send at year end? I got this promo flyer few times but dont want to pay taxes on inflated kindle price.

Planning on a new mortgage soon, so not going to ding the credit score over this, but they do seem to be going for about 230 on fleabay

Geez, wish I could participate. Gonna tell my extended family.

Think this is dead? Website won't load for me.

edit:

Probably not worth the hassle:

Kindle Fire HD. $200 on AMZN.
7" HD Display, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Dual-Antenna Wi-Fi, 16GB or 32GB

-taxes, then this is at best a $130 bonus sign up for a bank account...

won't load for me. Will try to open at a branch.

cr3s said:   Think this is dead? Website won't load for me.

edit:

Probably not worth the hassle:

Kindle Fire HD. $200 on AMZN.
7" HD Display, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Dual-Antenna Wi-Fi, 16GB or 32GB

-taxes, then this is at best a $130 bonus sign up for a bank account...

It was working before. I think it's either under maintenance or overloaded by the "FW effect".
It's very tempting to me as we have Amazon Prime.
Similar value like the $200 checking bonuses offered by Chase. If I buy Kindle Fire HD from AMZN it's gonna cost $216 due to state taxes.
It may cost most FWers $50-$56 on taxes with a cost saving of 166 or 160. Not bad if you need/want a Kindle Fire HD.

My dilemma is that I don't really "need" a tablet having two laptops at home but it certainly is a nice to have to Amazon Prime members.

Schwab Kindle fire HD offer is for 50K of stock or assets (ie cash) transferred to a new or existing account with no 1099 for promotions less than $600 per year.

I finally decided the deal is not for me because I have to wait a month for direct deposit to take effect and up to 3 months to get the Kindle, which is going to be mainly a device for consuming Amazon videos and books. That I can already do with my laptops that have much bigger screens. It would be far better to get a $200 cash bonus like Chase and BOA sometimes offer. Also the fee schedule is not good. You either have to keep a direct deposit or a daily average of 1500 or 5000 to avoid the fees. The BTO checking account which has a lower requirement(only $1500 balance) even charges $3 for having paper statements. That is said. You can close the account after 6 months(which by the time you should already have the Amazon Kindle) or combine the deal with this deal http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1225443/ to maximize your benefits.

In comparsion, I had a $200 cash bonus offer in 2011 with another local bank by opening a truely free checking account with no any catch or hidden fees. It was a better deal IMO.

Update: I actually still went for it and received the Kindle today. Kids were fighting to use the one tablet we have. Having two tablets do help a bit....

what are the tax implications?

my error

berkeleyman said:   what are the tax implications?

You will likely get a form, and will pay tax on the value of it.

Do you think people with smartypig accounts can take advantage of this deal? I think I remember bbva compass being the bank that backs up smartypig accounts...

rpi1967 said:   Schwab Kindle fire HD offer is for 50K of stock or assets (ie cash) transferred to a new or existing account with no 1099 for promotions less than $600 per year.

hard credit check?

"Transfers made from PayPal, ING Direct, or from accounts owned by the accountholder (or related parties) at other financial institutions do not qualify."... any way to get around this?

TheDealMaker said:   "Transfers made from PayPal, ING Direct, or from accounts owned by the accountholder (or related parties) at other financial institutions do not qualify."... any way to get around this?
DD from your employer usually does the trick!

I can't because I am already using that dd for another promotion. Now what?

uutxs said:   TheDealMaker said:   "Transfers made from PayPal, ING Direct, or from accounts owned by the accountholder (or related parties) at other financial institutions do not qualify."... any way to get around this?

Haven't you guys ever heard of a business account from BofA? Not hard to keep those accounts free, then you can set up payroll from qb for like 1.25 a trans. A bit more complicated, but if you already have a business, its just another step.

TheDealMaker said:   I can't because I am already using that dd for another promotion. Now what?

uutxs said:   TheDealMaker said:   "Transfers made from PayPal, ING Direct, or from accounts owned by the accountholder (or related parties) at other financial institutions do not qualify."... any way to get around this?

There is an easy way around this. You can switch your DD to them for one month to qualify for the deal and then switch back to your other bank. As long as you keep at least $1500 in the account(I assume you choose the BTO checking) you will not be charged. Of course if your employer allow DD to multiple accounts then it's even easier. Some of my previous employers would do multiple DDs.

View said:   TheDealMaker said:   I can't because I am already using that dd for another promotion. Now what?

There is an easy way around this. You can switch your DD to them for one month to qualify for the deal and then switch back to your other bank. As long as you keep at least $1500 in the account(I assume you choose the BTO checking) you will not be charged. Of course if your employer allow DD to multiple accounts then it's even easier. Some of my previous employers would do multiple DDs.

The $300 monthly DD also exempts you from fees in CA.

Dang. I don't think I can do this deal. As a condition of getting our free checking and bi-monthly mortgage payments through WF, I have to keep my DD w/ them.

My employer allows DD up to 5 accounts in any amount above either 1% or $1. Even if your employer doesn't mention it specifically, it's possible that yours does as well.

Edit: I know it's possible to return gifts received from Amazon, you just need the order number which is typically on the slip in the box. But is it possible to do the same in this case?

ablang said:   Dang. I don't think I can do this deal. As a condition of getting our free checking and bi-monthly mortgage payments through WF, I have to keep my DD w/ them.
Do you have any FSA or other reimbursement accounts that allow direct deposit? That might work, too.

JTausTX said:   
Edit: I know it's possible to return gifts received from Amazon, you just need the order number which is typically on the slip in the box. But is it possible to do the same in this case?

I know what you are thinking. I've read someone was able to do that with a different bank's promotion and got a refund.(less some minor fees) However in some cases you do not get the order
number. Personally I think Nexus 7 would fit my usage pattern better as Kindle Fire HD is mainly a content consumption device. I'm sure it can be hacked to work like Nexus 7 but that would probably
be too much work to most normal people.

JTausTX said:   My employer allows DD up to 5 accounts in any amount above either 1% or $1. Even if your employer doesn't mention it specifically, it's possible that yours does as well.

I could, but there's no way I could maintain $1500+ a month in that account (to avoid incurring fees) w/o xfer-ing money from other banks.

View said:   ablang said:   Dang. I don't think I can do this deal. As a condition of getting our free checking and bi-monthly mortgage payments through WF, I have to keep my DD w/ them.
Do you have any FSA or other reimbursement accounts that allow direct deposit? That might work, too.

I have a Wells Fargo HSA account that receives DD contributions from my WF checking acct but I don't know if I could do what you say.

Can't spend a precious hard pull on this deal even though I am in the area.. Can someone who has done this recently confirm if its hard or soft pull? They seem ambiguous about it on the promo deal "Checking accounts are subject to approval, which may include credit approval."

The opening deposit, up to $250, can be funded by credit card. Is that treated as a purchase or a cash advance?

I'm doing this deal in combination with the Savings Builder deal (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1225443/)

Took a few hours to get approved, got an error message when trying to fund with my Capital One Venture card (? guess it's not supported ?). Ended up funding with a debit card instead, showing up as a purchase but still in "pending".

It hasn't shown up on my Credit Karma account, but that's only TransUnion, not sure if they pulled somewhere else.

So I am 77 Miles away from the closest branch (as the crow flies) 108 miles by car so they are turning down my application. Anyone know any tricks to avoid this? I was told by the branch (108 miles away) that they would not turn me down in person.

MacKenzieIII said:   So I am 77 Miles away from the closest branch (as the crow flies) 108 miles by car so they are turning down my application. Anyone know any tricks to avoid this? I was told by the branch (108 miles away) that they would not turn me down in person.

So go in person?

I am considering going in person but the deal starts to go down when you start spending lots of gas/time to get it. Wondering if anyone had luck doing it over the phone or getting the distance requirement waived.

MacKenzieIII said:   So I am 77 Miles away from the closest branch (as the crow flies) 108 miles by car so they are turning down my application. Anyone know any tricks to avoid this? I was told by the branch (108 miles away) that they would not turn me down in person.

If it is in the reach of 108 miles away, and $250/per year profit on savings for 3 yrs(x2).. better go in person and open all the accounts needed..

To: rebelx <xxxx@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013
Subject: RE: New Customer - Have questions

rebelx,

The credit check that is performed for online applications is a soft hit for identity purposes, so it should not lower your Credit Score.

We do use Telecheck along with the credit check, which is a company like ChexSystems.

Unfortunately, we would not be able to bypass the credit check if you brought in your Credit Report, Sorry!

Thanks,

xxxxx

rebelx said:   From: "xxxx, xxxx" <xxxx@bbvacompass.com>
To: rebelx <xxxx@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013
Subject: RE: New Customer - Have questions

rebelx,

The credit check that is performed for online applications is a soft hit for identity purposes, so it should not lower your Credit Score.

We do use Telecheck along with the credit check, which is a company like ChexSystems.

Unfortunately, we would not be able to bypass the credit check if you brought in your Credit Report, Sorry!

Thanks,

xxxxx

Now I am very confused on this
"Unfortunately, we would not be able to bypass the credit check if you brought in your Credit Report, Sorry!"

I called today to confirm that I met the requirements ($300 direct deposit, and 3 bill pays). And I was told the account had to be open for 90 days before they would send the Kindle.

Bump
Has anyone figured out a simple DD that wasn't an employer DD?

Would a bill pay from someone else count ?

Skipping 52 Messages...
Received Kindle yesterday via Fedex only 8 months after completing requirements.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014