Open a personal checking account,
use direct deposit or bill pay,
get $125!1
Plus, you'll get all of these great features for free:
Debit card with cash rewards
Online banking and bill payment
Mobile banking and alerts2
Mobile check deposit2

1Eligibility: This special limited time offer is available for personal checking accounts only that are opened between 1/01/2013 and 5/31/2013. Offer is subject to change or be withdrawn at any time without notice and cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer is limited to one incentive per household, and does not apply to second or multiple personal accounts. In order to receive the $125 incentive, clients must open a checking account and do at least one of the following. 1) Use BB&T online bill payment service to initiate 3 online bill payments (minimum payment of $25) from your new checking account within 90 days of account opening; OR 2) Enroll in and receive 2 direct deposits (minimum of $100 each) to the new personal checking account within 90 days of account opening. Any account not in good standing, closed, and/or with a balance less than or equal to zero at the time we review account eligibility (between 90-120 days of account opening) will not receive the $125 incentive. Normal minimum balance requirements apply. Some BB&T checking account options accrue interest. For example, an Elite Gold account earns 0.01% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) for balances $0 - $2,499, 0.01% APY on balances of $2500 - $24,999 and 0.01% APY on all balances $25,000 - $99,999,999,999 in North Carolina; rates good as of 11/5/2012 and are subject to change. The $125 incentive will be deposited directly to your account within 120 days of account opening if qualifiers above are met; and will be reported to the IRS as required by law.

2Fees from your mobile or data carrier may apply.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Offer is limited to one incentive per household, and does not apply to second or multiple personal accounts.
Thanks for posting.

I wonder if having any account, including one of their VA 529 accounts that were discussed recently, disqualifies you for the bonus.

Zaos said:   
Hard pull (eq?)
No CC funding

Not Hot

worst bank ever.... on line banking is always down, payments pending forever and they remain in your available balance until payee cashes.
Customer Service impossible and email contact never works
I plan on closing all my accounts and moving them. Was happy with Bank Atlantic but BBT is horrible

Good find OP, but no thank you on the bank.

Zaos said:   
From previous threads:
Hard pull (eq?)
No CC funding

No hard pull and credit card up to 1500 per application. As lorymills1 mentioned, this bank is very bad. It was two days before I could even get on their website once. I went into a branch and they almost signed me up for mobile deposit, without telling me that it was not a free service. If I had not been the type of person who researches things, I would have been charged. I have never had a bank try to trick me like that.

I got the Last BBT Bonus, but it took months of emailing back and forth with them. I closed the account after I got the bonus and may apply again for this one. There are several branches close to me so its not that big of a hassle.

lorymills1 said:   worst bank ever.... on line banking is always down, payments pending forever and they remain in your available balance until payee cashes.
I plan on closing all my accounts and moving them. Was happy with Bank Atlantic but BBT is horrible

Agree with this poster. I had my grandmother switch from them after I noticed they held back smaller charges and pushed larger charges so she would go into a negative balance, then they tacked on all the small ones for NSF fees.

She should be better with her money, but shes 80, she can do what she wants at this point I suppose.

mjoply said:   Zaos said:   
From previous threads:
Hard pull (eq?)
No CC funding

No hard pull and credit card up to 1500 per application. As lorymills1 mentioned, this bank is very bad. It was two days before I could even get on their website once. I went into a branch and they almost signed me up for mobile deposit, without telling me that it was not a free service. If I had not been the type of person who researches things, I would have been charged. I have never had a bank try to trick me like that.

You are contradicting the OP here. So who is right? Does ACH transfer count as DD?

They also cover part of Texas: Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth but not Houston nor Amarillo nor El Paso.

I'm having trouble finding my account number in order to transfer funds in. Is there an easy way to find it before the first statement cuts? Thanks

set up online banking

Thanks for answering, but I don't see how that helps. I already have online banking set up, and I don't see where it shows my checking number, only last 4 digits.

lorymills1 said:   worst bank ever.... on line banking is always down, payments pending forever and they remain in your available balance until payee cashes.

Actually, one of the reasons I hate Wells Fargo is because they take the money out when you send it (up to 5 days before), and there is no easy way to determine that the Bill Pay was cashed, unless you go through 1001 clicks to find out. I guess it all depends on the point of view.

OT: Anyone else knows of other banks that keep online bill payments in your account until they are cashed?

Come to think of it... I did one similar to this already.
It was for a business account.

Did 3 billpays and was out.
That was over 2 years ago I'm sure.
They checked status with SOS and things like that but it was easy.

Has anyone been able to find out more about the Cash Rewards program? https://www.bbt.com/bbtdotcom/banking/cards/cash-rewards.page? It says you earn up to 25% at select merchants when you shop online, or for other merchants, when you pay using your debit card in store.

The web page doesn't have much information. Logging in just goes to the Account Overview page, and it doesn't seem like there is a Cash Rewards section after being logged in.

bharatiya said:   mjoply said:   Zaos said:   
From previous threads:
Hard pull (eq?)
No CC funding

You are contradicting the OP here. So who is right? Does ACH transfer count as DD?

Is it a Hard pull? Thanks

I created BB&T Collegewealth Savings Account online and funded $4K just few days back. I heard the deadline to fund any VA 529 account to get the tax deduction for 2012 is Dec 31 2012 (end of the calendar year), but not Apr 15, 2013 (unlike IRA/401K). Can I draw $4K from the bank account now and refund them before Dec 31 2013 to get the tax deduction for 2013? Will this process avoid penalty? Experts, please advise.

ANYBODY GOT BONUS YET

Can you get a bonus from BB&T each year similar to Chase?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014