Move to Canada?

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Terrible credit card signup offers...non starter!

who cares?

this topic became useless. I guess Canada sucks.

The CFL is lame compared to the NFL.

lonestarguy said:   The CFL is lame compared to the NFL.
What is really lame is using a yahoo article/ranking seriously enough to move to another country.

olvrtw said:   Today yahoo had an article with a list of the happiest countries. Norway was #1 Canada was #6, the US was #12. Maybe we can make a list of the Pros/Cons of moving to Canada from the US?

Why be #6 when you can be #1? Move to Norway. Take a coat.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Now the Canadian dollar is as much or more than the USD and Asian investors have driven the RE prices into the stratosphere in desirable cities like Vancouver and TorontoMy in-laws just bought a 4 floor 3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom townhouse in North York (not downtown but inside Toronto city limits) for $350,000. That's similar to where I live (north-NJ)

lonestarguy said:   The CFL is lame compared to the NFL.

What? I think EVERY 9-team sports league should have two teams with the same name.

Too bad the new team won't be able to carry on the tradition.

If the climate change is a reality, which it may well be, then Canada is better positioned than any other nation to reap benefits from global warming. Farmland in Canada's vast interior would be an obvious buy.

But as others have said, the cost of living is higher. People don't realize how good we have it in America, being a huge market with good transportation. Ever notice how on books and magazines that list one price for USA and one for Canada, the Canadian price is always higher? That used to be explained by exchange rate differences, but no longer. Canadian dollar is now worth more the U.S. dollar, yet they still get socked with the higher price.

Costa Rica maybe. Canada? Are you crazy?

At least tripleB got some class.

I don't know why all the red on this topic, aside from some people on FWF having an attitude that I try to avoid.

Too cold? Well, after global warming gets done with things, Texas will be uninhabitable leaving Canada with the only climate fit for human occupation.

Prices too high? I was in Vancouver recently and the prices aren't that out of line.

Taxes too high? The U.S. is falling off a fiscal cliff, with nobody seeming to care. The U.S. dollar will eventually tumble some more, which will affect us more than a higher tax rate.

Political stability? Just look where the U.S. is heading.

For these reasons, and others, I've maintained a checking, savings, ATM/debit card and credit card with one of the major Canadian banks for the longest time. I have to spread things around. There is a risk in thinking the U.S. will always be fine and dandy.

ChumChurum said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   5-10 years ago there were definite pros of a better exchange rate and lower RE prices. I was considering buying there

Now the Canadian dollar is as much or more than the USD and Asian investors have driven the RE prices into the stratosphere in desirable cities like Vancouver and Toronto


Well, let me ask you this. How can we benefit from the blooming (or existing) real estate bubble, say, in Toronto.

Too bad you can't short-sell RE like you can short-sell stocks. Maybe short-sell Canadian homebuilders and Canadian Banks?


Ok, SIS, with due respect. Is your information anecdotal, or statistically sound?

E.g., what percentage of the Toronto downtown condos are financed vs bought by cash?

olvrtw said:   Today yahoo had an article with a list of the happiest countries. Norway was #1 Canada was #6, the US was #12. Maybe we can make a list of the Pros/Cons of moving to Canada from the US?

Why would you choose to go to happy country #6? If you are going to be an ex-pat, go balls to the wall and just head out to happy country #1.

It is not hyperbole to say that Norway is littered with hot blondes. Probably one of the better reasons it is #1.

i like brunettes. blondes are overrated.

actually: nothing matters besides your outlook for oil and gas. If you believe that energy prices will hold up, then opt for Canada, Norway or even Russia. If you don't, then forget about it. Countries with more vibrant population will come out on top

I've been moving a significant part of my cash to Canada for years.

One 80 proof case of liquid at a time.

BEEFjerKAY said:   I've been moving a significant part of my cash to Canada for years.

One 80 proof case of liquid at a time.


Then you have obviously missed out on the best things about Kentucky...

1. Very hard to get citizenship without a job, and very hard to get a job without citizenship.
2. Moving ain't free.
3. Yahoo traditionally is *ahem* less than newsworthy or reliable.

If you can find a job, you can apply for the TN1 visa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TN_status

yes,TN1. global warming is arriving one year at a time

If someone really wants to immigrate, they should go through the process. It may be easy for some, and impossible for others. I wouldn't rely on what I read on FWF as the final answer.

is exodus from the US taking hold?

Here is the take from someone that has lived both in US and Canada

US Pros:
1. Everything is DIRT cheap. We dont realize that till we go live somewhere else. In Canada - Basic needs such as milk costs $4.8 a gallon, Gas is over $5/gallon, bread is $3 a loaf, you get the picture. Car insurance was $100 a month
2. Taxes, what taxes? We pay next to nothing compared to other countries
3. Infrastructure

Canada Pros.
1. Healthcare. People have a misconception that you have to wait hours to see a doctor. Thats not the case.
2. Banking industry. No housing bubble due to very selective lending policies and people paying huge downpayments
3. People are nicer there.
4. Education is much cheaper due to lower availablity of loans.

Edit - Clarify prices in Canada, added education

mind u that visitors from rapidly developing spots such as China marvel at backwardness of our infrastructure, especially NYC/boroughs.

BEEFjerKAY said:   lonestarguy said:   The CFL is lame compared to the NFL.

What? I think EVERY 9-team sports league should have two teams with the same name.

Too bad the new team won't be able to carry on the tradition.


No, no. The space makes all the difference!

SinglePapa said:   mind u that visitors from rapidly developing spots such as China marvel at backwardness of our infrastructure, especially NYC/boroughs.

I have to agree with you there. I live in the L.A. area but have been to many foreign countries. The transportation infrastructure can't even be compared. Fortunately I live two miles from work, so it's easy for me to deal with.

I don't think I am going to live 10,000 years. I can deal with global warming. Global warming argument tops OP's post.

people are too comfortable these days. you do know that the earths climate can change wildly at any moment. there are millions of variables that can throw everything out of wack and we'd be in deep doo doo.

I'm ethnically chinese and while SIS probably can't provide exact stats, EVERY single person that I know from china(a lot hong kong) in canada bought their home with cash.

Most chinese try to get away from china and they go to Canada since their immigration is fairly lax. If it was easier to come to the USA, they would all come to the usa. The ones that do go to Canada are scared of the Chinese gov taking their cash or fortune somehow (communism paranoia but not totally false) . You will not only find a fairly large percentage of chinese in vancouver and toronto, you will see a TON of spoiled kids driving 50k+ cars cruising around. I have one property I did buy in Edmonton about 7 years ago which has worked out well. Although there are lot of asians there as well prices in some parts of Canada are still affordable.

The real estate market in Canada is a lot more stable since their lending is tighter than it was in the USA.

I personally love Vancouver but the weather is a bit chilly. I am in chicago so it isn't exactly that much warmer. If the cost of living was lower, I would be there in a heartbeat. Granville Island, outdoor activities, and driving distance to Seattle are huge pluses for me.

Once you travel to europe, asia, and rest of the world it is amazing how awesome the USA is. Perfect balance of cost of living, cleanliness, opportunity, and fun. Poor people who complain in this country are still "first world problems?


ChumChurum said:   ChumChurum said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   5-10 years ago there were definite pros of a better exchange rate and lower RE prices. I was considering buying there

Now the Canadian dollar is as much or more than the USD and Asian investors have driven the RE prices into the stratosphere in desirable cities like Vancouver and Toronto


Well, let me ask you this. How can we benefit from the blooming (or existing) real estate bubble, say, in Toronto.

Too bad you can't short-sell RE like you can short-sell stocks. Maybe short-sell Canadian homebuilders and Canadian Banks?


Ok, SIS, with due respect. Is your information anecdotal, or statistically sound?

E.g., what percentage of the Toronto downtown condos are financed vs bought by cash?

Too cold to consider seriously.

olvrtw said:   people are too comfortable these days. you do know that the earths climate can change wildly at any moment. there are millions of variables that can throw everything out of wack and we'd be in deep doo doo.

I know, right? You should be with me when I say that we should be planning for the threat of an alien invasion. There are millions of uncharted planets and one jerk of an alien population could throw everything here on earth out of whack.

You and me are a lot alike, olvrtw. Irrationally fearing the unexpected, one FWF post at a time.

Compared to US people , how good is Canadian people?

I'm kinda offended

this was funny

actually, the whole topic is. Again: if the energy prices hold up, then Canada may outperform. But keep in mind: the historical norm would be $30-40 oil at best vs. current $95. So a few spikes notwithstanding, the immigrants will eventually be re-emigrating

acroBios said:   Too cold to consider seriously.

For the southern states yes. People living in Northern states have the same weather as Canada. Chicago is as cold as Toronto and windier than Toronto

DesiVibe said:   Chicago is as cold as Toronto and windier than Toronto

And the CPD is colder and windier than the OPP, too.

lotusgardener said:   No, no. The space makes all the difference!

See. THAT's the test they should have posed to the hostages in Argo, "So what's with 2 teams having the same name?"

North of the border you get a range of opinions, some ardently advocating the legitimacy of one versus the other. Some culturally belittling those holding opposing opinions as either elitists or prairie farmers, etc etc

South of the border you just get silence and slack-jawed shocked reactions to the very thought. Once you take the time to explain it to them, of course.

IMO, there really is no better test to tell who is really Canadian and the Roots-wearing pretenders who slapped a maple leaf on their bag in attempts to avoid sticking out as Americans.

BradisBrad said:   olvrtw said:   people are too comfortable these days. you do know that the earths climate can change wildly at any moment. there are millions of variables that can throw everything out of wack and we'd be in deep doo doo.

I know, right? You should be with me when I say that we should be planning for the threat of an alien invasion. There are millions of uncharted planets and one jerk of an alien population could throw everything here on earth out of whack.

You and me are a lot alike, olvrtw. Irrationally fearing the unexpected, one FWF post at a time.
As he comes in from making his latest alien crop circle, lol.

DesiVibe said:   Here is the take from someone that has lived both in US and Canada

US Pros:
1. Everything is DIRT cheap. We dont realize that till we go live somewhere else. Basic needs such as milk costs $4.8 a gallon, Gas is over $5/gallon, bread is $3 a loaf, you get the picture. Car insurance was $100 a month
2. Taxes, what taxes? We pay next to nothing compared to other countries
3. Infrastructure

Canada Pros.
1. Healthcare. People have a misconception that you have to wait hours to see a doctor. Thats not the case.
2. Banking industry. No housing bubble due to very selective lending policies and people paying huge downpayments
3. People are nicer there.


Don't know where you are getting your info. As for US prices, I am paying $3.19/gal for milk, gas is $3.09 and bread is $1.99 loaf for 100% whole wheat. Car insurance varies too much to compare. As to people being nicer in Canada, I can say the people in Montreal are no where near as friendly as San Antonio or Austin having been to Canada and living here in Texas for 15 years - previously in New England.

lonestarguy said:   DesiVibe said:   1. Everything is DIRT cheap. We dont realize that till we go live somewhere else. Basic needs such as milk costs $4.8 a gallon, Gas is over $5/gallon, bread is $3 a loaf, you get the picture. Car insurance was $100 a month

Don't know where you are getting your info. As for US prices, I am paying $3.19/gal for milk, gas is $3.09 and bread is $1.99 loaf for 100% whole wheat. Car insurance varies too much to compare.

I think DesiVibe was giving Canadian prices (not US prices).



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014