Move to Canada?

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
boarder <> border

ZenNUTS said:   BenH said:   ZenNUTS said:   I used to go across the boarder every other weekend and the only two times I got harassed was by the Canadians.

That's because the Canadians have zero tolerance for bad spellers.
eH?

SinglePapa said:   so the reason Norway is #2 in the world in gun ownership (an objective figure) is because it is #1 in citizens' (stated) satisfaction??

What in the world are you talking about?? First, Norway is 11th in the world in gun ownership (not 2nd). The relatively high rate of gun ownership is obviously due to hunting. The gun homicide rate in the US is exactly 90 times that of Norway, btw.

I've spent a few months in Norway and it would be a great place to live.

almost talked me into Norway...To make emigration worthwhile, however, one needs the fortune of Jimmy Rogers and tax advantages of Singapoure

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/gallup-american-optimi...

WASHINGTON (CBS DC) – Fewer than four-in-10 Americans (39 percent) rate the US in a positive manner – the most negative feedback the country has produced since 1979.

A new Gallup poll finds that Americans are as negative about the country’s prospects as they have been in more than three decades. Americans are more upbeat in their predictions of where the U.S. will be in five years (48 percent positive), but this is the lowest rating since an August 1979 Gallup poll was conducted.

The negativity about the current state of the US has a politically partisan split – Republicans stated that the country’s best days have already passed and Democrats say the best days have not happened yet. Seventy-five percent of Democrats gave positive reviews of how the nation will be five years from now, but only 15 percent of Republicans were positive – a 60 percent partisan gap.

As a whole, fifty-five percent of Americans say the state of the nation five years ago was positive.

Great topic. Shouldn't qualify for FWF though. I see it's already been covered but Canada's expensive. That includes housing, food, taxes, gas, entertainment; just about everything. In 2 1/2 years the only deals I've found were health insurance (literally $0 copay), $2 swimming sessions and $.74 toothpaste at safeway. That's it. Tax-wise Alberta is the best (only a 5% GST sales-type tax, no provincial equivalent). The rest range from 10-15%. If you're not in one of the major cities cell service is quite steep. And get used to paying 12-15% tax on things like accounting or paying a guy to install a floor.

From a non-financial standpoint it's a fantastic place to live as long as you're used to winter weather. If you have a means of generating adequate income it's great (and some professions that have been decimated in the US such as architecture or law are still ticking along). The focus on quality of life over working every possible minute is healthy. It takes some getting used to things like being required to take a statutory holiday every single month even if you'd rather work. There are quite a few ways to qualify to immigrate though the rules are currently in flux as the government seeks to align the economic needs of various industries with current immigration practices. You might get more points as a welder or horse shoer than with a BA in economics.

My carpet guy moved to high-cost San Diego CA USA from Vancouver BC Canada. Because he can get more value out of his work here, even medically despite the crazy prices, taxes, and politicos here. San Diegans refer to the "climate tax" as a worthwhile cost of avoiding snow, ice, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Earthquakes are ignored; my house trembled for a few seconds in each and nothing fell down and everybody went ahead with scheduled activity.

OK. I was holding off on telling my favorite two-line Canadian joke. But it's likely to be offensive to some.

So I will just provide the punch line ...

"So they can both both watch Hockey Night in Canada."

Ruff Ruff

Yea, for my trips to Niagara Falls, it was always pleasant going into Canada. But getting back home was a B%*(&$#. It seemed like the cars that were going into Canada were always better cars, BMW, Merc, Audi, VW, etc. The cars going into the US were always Honda, Pathfinder, Durangos, ricers, toyotas, etc... Always traffic to get back into the US, and the border stop always sucks with weird questions, invasion of privacy, etc etc.

Having to add an "eh" at the end of every sentence kills the deal, eh?

olvrtw said:   Yea, for my trips to Niagara Falls, it was always pleasant going into Canada. But getting back home was a B%*(&$#. It seemed like the cars that were going into Canada were always better cars, BMW, Merc, Audi, VW, etc. The cars going into the US were always Honda, Pathfinder, Durangos, ricers, toyotas, etc... Always traffic to get back into the US, and the border stop always sucks with weird questions, invasion of privacy, etc etc.

Maybe Canada is unsafe. People go in with expensive cars, get robbed and come back with beaters?

TempName21 said:   on april 15 2011, the us government unsealed the indictment "united states v. scheinberg", and online poker companies stopped taking business from US customers. this scattered many professional poker players, as they pursued the ability to play poker on the internet by leaving the united states. i have spent roughly 90% of my time in 9 countries outside the US since april 15, 2011, and a significant amount of this time was spent in cities across ontario and quebec on tourist visas.

Same here. I've been to 11 countries since poker's Black Friday. I'm in Ontario now, and there are quite a few USA poker players in the city I'm living in.

USA aka "The Land of the Free" - such a joke.

Great "How I Met Your Mother" tonight.

Can/USA banking question:

If I have a Money Order in USD drawn from a Canadian bank, and then deposited into the USA at like BOA or Chase, will there be any fees, holds, or problems with depositing it?

ungar2000 said:   Can/USA banking question:

If I have a Money Order in USD drawn from a Canadian bank, and then deposited into the USA at like BOA or Chase, will there be any fees, holds, or problems with depositing it?
If the check is already in USD, there will be no fees when you deposit it in the US. Whether or not you'll have a hold will have to do with the amount of the check, your account type in the US and your US bank. It's just like any other out of state check that you deposit.

As for "problems," there is a good chance that you won't be able to feed it into an ATM (although it depends on the check and the ATM). Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014