• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I seem to have a case that falls through the cracks and I wondered if anyone knew if there is any way to modify / refi my present mortgage , which is 108k at 5.875-either reduction in payment, rate, or principal. I lost my job in the 2008 meltdown and

*our HH income went from 94k to 20k.

*we are current on our mortgage payments

*our LTV of our house is in the 30-40 pct range.

* our mortgage owner is Fannie Mae

we have too much credit card debt to qualify for tradition refi , probably around 80k in CC debt.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You have a lot of equity in your house why would the bank give a principal reduction?

With 80k in cc debt i think you should be asking how to BK and still keep your house since the interest on those cards will eat you alive. A few percent less interest on your mortgage wont make you any better off....

Agree there's not likely to be any principal reduction when your ltv is just 30-40%

Try applying for a mod

I think you need a credit counseling service more than a mortgage modification. I used one of those services about 15 years ago and it helped.

You should qualify for a FNMA HARP Refi to reduce your rate/payment. Contact your mortgage service company! You can also reference this FW thread

Because of your high debt/income ratio and low income, you may not be able to find a lender to approve you for a traditional refi. Your best bet is probably to do a HARP refi with your current lender. You probably won't get the very best rate available, but you will get a better rate than what you have now and you will also restretch your loan to 30y which will also serve to lower your monthly payment.

A friend is closing on a HARP streamlined refi on his house next week. He had 24y left on his mortgage with a 5.8% rate, $2350 monthly. His new loan will be 30y @ 4.125%, ~$1900 monthly. He didn't get the very best rate available because he had very little demonstrable income (he gets most of his money under the table) and ~ 100% LTV, so no lender would give him traditional refi. He was limited to doing a HARP refi with his current lender.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014