Hard Credit Inquiries

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was under the impression that applying for multiple mortages during a 30 day period would not count as hard multiple hard credit pulls on my reports. I use credit karma as one way to keep an eye on my credit and I have 3 new hard credit pulls since I applied for 3 mortgages. I think I may have lost a credit pull from a year ago and I actually have 4 new pulls since I applied for the 3 mortgages.

Is this supposed to happen? Any way to correct this?

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Yes, they don't count towards FICO. In other words, they don't hurt your FICO score.

But, the hard inquiries are there for anyone to see and use against you if they so choose to. There's no requirement for a bank to use FICO as opposed to their own internal criteria. A bank can also use a combination of FICO and their own internal criteria (one which may be to automatically reject applicants with too many inquiries no matter if they're mortgage or auto loan inquiries all taking place in a short period of time).

Most of the time the lender will give you a sheet of your hard pulls and make you write a description for each. For example, we just closed on a home and I had to make a note that we did not add more credit with inquires while loan shopping.

tennis8363 said:   Most of the time the lender will give you a sheet of your hard pulls and make you write a description for each. For example, we just closed on a home and I had to make a note that we did not add more credit with inquires while loan shopping.

This is a common practice? I've done a fair few mortgages - though not with many different lenders - and have never run into anything like this.

jfat10 said:   Yes, they don't count towards FICO. In other words, they don't hurt your FICO score.

But, the hard inquiries are there for anyone to see and use against you if they so choose to. There's no requirement for a bank to use FICO as opposed to their own internal criteria. A bank can also use a combination of FICO and their own internal criteria (one which may be to automatically reject applicants with too many inquiries no matter if they're mortgage or auto loan inquiries all taking place in a short period of time).

Not necessarily, it will not count towards FICO only if the FICO algorithm can identify these as mortgage queries. Sometimes the hard pull may not be differentiable from a regular credit inquiry in which case your FICO may get dinged.

steve1jr said:   tennis8363 said:   Most of the time the lender will give you a sheet of your hard pulls and make you write a description for each. For example, we just closed on a home and I had to make a note that we did not add more credit with inquires while loan shopping.

This is a common practice? I've done a fair few mortgages - though not with many different lenders - and have never run into anything like this.

Yes, this is common. I had to do this for my last three mortgages (1 purchase, 2 refinance.)
One was just three months after a big AOR, so I had two pages of "The Inquiry from XXX dated YY/YY/YY was from an application for a XYZ visa card. This card was opened because of a 500$ bonus offer. The current balance on the card is zero. No credit obligations were acquired as a result of this inquiry. " x15.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014