• 15678 9
  • Page
  • Text Only
I like it. First of all, I thought that it was stupid to single out smokers. Secondly, based upon this article, it is evident that paying smoker rates would be based upon stupidity as opposed to being a smoker. "I smoke 4 packs a day three times a week" would qualify the person as a non smoker. Why would anyone be honest about this?

BrodyInsurance said:   I like it. First of all, I thought that it was stupid to single out smokers. Secondly, based upon this article, it is evident that paying smoker rates would be based upon stupidity as opposed to being a smoker. "I smoke 4 packs a day three times a week" would qualify the person as a non smoker. Why would anyone be honest about this?

we have people who

confess to crimes

file legitimate tax returns

show up for jury duty

stand in line to vote

and

create threads about a "moral dilemma" over a trivial eBay item

so...

biglittle said:   I want to pay for health insurance for life altering catastrophic events (cancer, bad injury, etc).

I do not want to pay for insurance that covers me going to the doctor for a common cold, yearly physical, etc.

Let's have "a la carte" insurance where you buy for what you want covered (like auto insurance). I want to be covered for cancer, but I don't want to pay insurance for pregnancy, etc.

I do understand that some people need to pay for pre existing "health care"... not insurance. You don't pay for car insurance after an accident, and if you do you pay more.

Some people's health care is going to cost more than others, that is just a fact of life, and unfortunately those people should pay more than the healthy.

I use to also believe that health insurance should only cover serious life changing illnesses (just like how car insurance only cover major accidents). I have changed my opinion on this after seeing the lack of personal responsibility of your average Americans. A lot of people will never go see a doctor if they have to pay out of pocket for it. They don't even want to pay a small co-pay for office visits or medicines. People will ignore any health issues until it becomes serious and they end up in the ER. Then it will really cost the government and us. I think prevention, early detection of health problems, and annual (maybe even bi-annual) checkups are the key to lowering long term healthcare costs.

Theboogeyman,

Why has your belief changed? The evidence does not support the notion that preventive medical care decreases medical costs.,

BrodyInsurance said:   I like it. First of all, I thought that it was stupid to single out smokers. Secondly, based upon this article, it is evident that paying smoker rates would be based upon stupidity as opposed to being a smoker. "I smoke 4 packs a day three times a week" would qualify the person as a non smoker. Why would anyone be honest about this?

Because if they're not honest about it they will be traded to Bubba for a pack of smokes.

tomjef said:   BrodyInsurance said:   I like it. First of all, I thought that it was stupid to single out smokers. Secondly, based upon this article, it is evident that paying smoker rates would be based upon stupidity as opposed to being a smoker. "I smoke 4 packs a day three times a week" would qualify the person as a non smoker. Why would anyone be honest about this?

Because if they're not honest about it they will be traded to Bubba for a pack of smokes.

What page of Obamacare has the criminal penalties for making a mistake in one's smoking status?

BrodyInsurance said:   tomjef said:   BrodyInsurance said:   I like it. First of all, I thought that it was stupid to single out smokers. Secondly, based upon this article, it is evident that paying smoker rates would be based upon stupidity as opposed to being a smoker. "I smoke 4 packs a day three times a week" would qualify the person as a non smoker. Why would anyone be honest about this?

What page of Obamacare has the criminal penalties for making a mistake in one's smoking status?

If they ask about tobacco use in the last twelves months, and you lie about your tobacco use, then you have committed insurance fraud. Additionally, if you applied through a government-run exchange or other government channel, then you have also made a false statement to a government agency, which is also a crime.

tomjef said:   BrodyInsurance said:   tomjef said:   BrodyInsurance said:   I like it. First of all, I thought that it was stupid to single out smokers. Secondly, based upon this article, it is evident that paying smoker rates would be based upon stupidity as opposed to being a smoker. "I smoke 4 packs a day three times a week" would qualify the person as a non smoker. Why would anyone be honest about this?

If they ask about tobacco use in the last twelves months, and you lie about your tobacco use, then you have committed insurance fraud. Additionally, if you applied through a government-run exchange or other government channel, then you have also made a false statement to a government agency, which is also a crime.

From the article, tobacco use is 4 or more times a week for the past 6 months. With no medical underwriting, the only smokers will be people who self report as smokers. Even if they can take blood and/or urine, under this definition one can test positive for nicotine and still be a non-smoker.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.