Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

Smoke em' if you got em', at least till January 1st, 2014

First page
1 of 33
depalma13
1/25/13 4:43 AM
Not a smoker, but for any of you that are, you had better start the process of quitting now. You are going to get penalized heavily in 2014 by the new health care law.

Text

The law allows for what looks like age discrimination as insurance companies will be allowed to charge more for older smokers than younger ones. Also, those that do not belong to a company sponsored insurance plan, might not have the benefit of taking a cessation program.

The Affordable Care Act "Obamacare" to its detractors allows health insurers to charge smokers buying individual policies up to 50 percent higher premiums starting next Jan. 1.

For a 55-year-old smoker, the penalty could reach nearly $4,250 a year. A 60-year-old could wind up paying nearly $5,100 on top of premiums.

Younger smokers could be charged lower penalties under rules proposed last fall by the Obama administration. But older smokers could face a heavy hit on their household budgets at a time in life when smoking-related illnesses tend to emerge.
WikiPost
1/25/13 4:43 AM
avalon6
1/25/13 5:03 AM
God forbid we starting charging people responsible for driving up healthcare costs.
sharky1985
1/25/13 5:05 AM
Interesting. I vaguely recall receiving an email from my employer a few weeks ago stating they would no longer be hiring smokers at all soon.
soundtechie
1/25/13 5:05 AM
Step 1: government is given a new power
step 2: governement uses that power for a purpose other than what it was intended for.
avalon6
1/25/13 5:24 AM
soundtechie said:   

Step 1: government is given a new power
step 2: governement uses that power for a purpose other than what it was intended for.

You do realize smoking was considered a pre-existing condition before the healthcare law? They would have just refused to cover you or drop you from their coverage once you became a burden.
JonnyRock
1/25/13 5:41 AM
I am curious as to how they will define smoker
I know people who might smoke one now and then when they drink but do not make a regular thing of it
BamBam0099
1/25/13 6:02 AM
avalon6 said:   

God forbid we starting charging people responsible for driving up healthcare costs.

So, what about people that are overweight according to the medical weight charts? Do you have any idea how many would fall into that category? What about people that partake in "deemed" dangerous activities like sky diving, riding a motorcycle, snow boarding, etc. etc.?

And as far as age discrimination, at least once a week (if not more), senior citizens get 10+% discounts...is that not an "accepted" age discrimination? What about car insurance? Don't those under 25 (at least in NY) get hammered by excessive insurance costs?

If smoking is so bad then outlaw it, don't penalize those that use a LEGAL product just to finance other social programs or to make insurance companies richer.
caterpillar123
1/25/13 6:38 AM
BamBam0099 said:   

If smoking is so bad then outlaw it, don't penalize those that use a LEGAL product just to finance other social programs or to make insurance companies richer.

The law allows insurers to charge higher rates for smokers. It's not a mandate. Insurers have always charged more based on risk so I don't see a problem with this.
fwall
1/25/13 6:41 AM
This only applies to tobacco smokers
First page
1 of 33
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.