• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi all,

We are looking to do a in-depth article for our blog on what steps the average joe needs to know/do to reach financial freedom in retirement. You all know a heck of a lot more about this subject, than we do, so we figured we would ask you first. If anyone is interested, and has a knack for writing feel free to shoot me a PM for more details. *puts on protective suit*

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I don't have to have someone from FWF write it, but it thought it would be a neat thing to have someone from our communi... (more)

MarsdenFubar (Jan. 28, 2013 @ 2:01p) |

A super ultra rare FW Schwag box, and if you have a blog, we'll mention it, and link to it from the article.

MarsdenFubar (Jan. 28, 2013 @ 2:03p) |

Meh, I have been around long enough to know that in FWF you may get your butt handed to you, and if you are not a know i... (more)

MarsdenFubar (Jan. 28, 2013 @ 2:06p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Fatwallet has a blog?

I'd offer to write it, but it would be inferior to something that Dave Hanson or someone like him would write.

First, pay off all high-interest debt. Live below your means. If and only if you can do these first two things, invest in low cost, non-managed index funds. Choose an asset allocation that is suitable for your ability and need to take risk. Max out your IRA, and put as much money as possible in your 401(k) (there is a thread about how maxing your 401(k) leads to a middle-class retirement). Read literature and research so you can come to your own conclusions rather than merely following the advice of others (I'd recommend the Bogleheads' Guide to Investing as a good starting point).

Hellavu protective suit! Your wrist is exposed!

Hmm well first piece of advice is to give the thread a more descriptive title

Just plagarize from Dave Ramsay

chantspel said:   Hmm well first piece of advice is to give the thread a more descriptive title

Better?

Make some $. Spend less than that.

MarsdenFubar said:   Hi all,

We are looking to do a in-depth article for our blog on what steps the average joe needs to know/do to reach financial freedom in retirement. You all know a heck of a lot more about this subject, than we do, so we figured we would ask you first. If anyone is interested, and has a knack for writing feel free to shoot me a PM for more details. *puts on protective suit*

earn more, spend less. If your company has a 401k (especially one with a matching %), put what you can up to matching, then put the rest into a ROTH IRA, then put more into the 401k. If you still have $ left over, look into other options such as dividend investing, rental properties, etc.

I don't think you have the intestinal fortitude to mention some of the tactics advised here.

In addition to the what to do a how to do what is right investment wise for your situation.
Stuff I would add (falling back to some stuff from boogleheads)

1. Forming an investment policy statement that you review annually or at an interval where you spell out short mid and long term financial goals and expand on how you can attain them. Keep your investments clear and not riddled with expense, management tax, or

2. Create a personalized formula to determine your risk tolerance. After you have your accounts formed one option is a simple strategy of age in quality intermediate bonds as a percent of portfolio (less for more volatility more for less volatility, generally not to exceed 70% bonds) then split the remainder 50/50ish into domestic and international blended equity funds.

3. Invest efficiently

Setup passive core funds from low cost mutual or ETFs that follow the benchmarks. Places like Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab(in house ETF's)

You want to keep bonds and tax harsh investments in shielded retirement account and stocks/equities outside for less tax exposure. http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Principles_of_Tax-Efficient_Fund_...

4. Understand the value of compounded interest or return, a percent delta may not sound like much but compounded over time it can be tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Just a few I would add, I abstained from a PM to keep this discussion flowing.

You probably should have made an alt to ask this.

I'll do it if I'm asked nicely.

^^ that might work.

the whole point of a blog (vs a forum) is for the blog's owner to express some ideas/opinion then invite others to comment on it. The blog owner have control over the feedback as well. So unless FW is willing to give higher authority to the writer of the piece, I'm not sure anyone would be willing to step forward.

This is FWF

What are you paying?

How much Cash Back will the blog writer get from the referrals?

We are looking to do a in-depth article for our blog on what steps the average joe needs to know/do to reach financial freedom in retirement.

Like ltcm says, FW has a blog?

Point being, if we could see what this blog looks like, learn more about its context/objectives, we'd be in a better position to comment on this interesting idea.

RedCelicaGT said:   I'd offer to write it, but it would be inferior to something that Dave Hanson or someone like him would write.

Thank you for the kind words. I would consider writing up something, as I'm sure others would. But I'd like to know more about your objectives; have a draft vetted by many of the good people here; and have editorial control over what was said.

Mine would be more entertaining.

You could always make it a wiki and let the collective wisdom of the crowd write it. Not sure how the result would look like though with the tough crowd here .

If someone does write it, they should surely be paid. Why should a loyal member who brings eyeballs to FW - eyeballs attached to people who often end up using FatCash to give FW a nice CashBack fee - write something for free? Obviously, the piece is intended to attract more eyes to the site and more money to FW; FW should certainly pay for that privilege. IMO (FWIW), this sounds like such a ridiculous puff piece a la bankrate; I'd be surprised if someone on here would write it. Not to mention the fact that the question itself is ridiculously broad and the answer varies significantly from individual to individual. (Also, OP - take a lesson on comma usage.)

I found it everyone. Took me hours, but I found it.

http://www.fatwallet.com/blog/

Go figure it'd have such a cryptic URL and all that.

..Wait a second. Could this have just been an elaborate rouse to draw FWF's attention to the FW blog?!?

No.. They wouldn't have..

GermanExpat said:   You could always make it a wiki and let the collective wisdom of the crowd write it. Not sure how the result would look like though with the tough crowd here .I think they just want a fluffy piece. The average FW reader doesn't want to watch finance nerds and lawyers swordfighting over isoteric points.

He wants us to do his homework?

Crazytree said:   GermanExpat said:   You could always make it a wiki and let the collective wisdom of the crowd write it. Not sure how the result would look like though with the tough crowd here .I think they just want a fluffy piece. The average FW reader doesn't want to watch finance nerds and lawyers swordfighting over isoteric points.

It is something that can be posted on Facebook for the average person to take a look at for 10 seconds. KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

while the intentions are good, the wisdom of FWF can't be put in a bottle or summarized in a blog

true learning comes from active participation in many discussions over many years

the blog should simply tell people to tighten up their chin straps and jump in the fray

Crazytree said:   I think they just want a fluffy piece.

I'm not sure I'd want to be fluffing anyone's piece.

Didn't realize it was that kind of blog.

Crazytree said:   Mine would be more entertaining. I would like to see CT rewrite his famous guide to gents club.

I thought this forum was a blog. /shrugs/

Also, make a plan for how much you want to save and what you total savings/investments will be by year. Adjust this plan annually based on where you are relative to those goals.

ZenNUTS said:   Crazytree said:   Mine would be more entertaining. I would like to see CT rewrite his famous guide to gents club.

Just so long as he does not parse the entire text of The Aristocrats into the quick tags.

That would be wrong.

germanpope said:   while the intentions are good, the wisdom of FWF can't be put in a bottle

Agreed.

The process is almost exactly the opposite.

In general, the wisdom of FWF seems to have come out of some bottle.

maxfleischer said:   If someone does write it, they should surely be paid. Why should a loyal member who brings eyeballs to FW - eyeballs attached to people who often end up using FatCash to give FW a nice CashBack fee - write something for free?

Something, BTW, that part of what was pitched to Tim et al in 2005-2007, IIRC. And went nowhere. Causing the content generators to go elsewhere.

Buy low, sell high, repeat.

Pics or GTFO.

save more, pay less and avoid getting ripped-off

Here's a tip: Make sure you're paid fairly for services performed - you know, like writing a blog for a company that wants to use the content YOU provide for FREE to make money for themselves. (Kind of a new spin on "pay your bills, deadbeat.")

ltcm said:   Fatwallet has a blog?

I'll write an article about which links to put in your page footer vs page header.

Skipping 7 Messages...
LordB said:   You probably should have made an alt to ask this.

Meh, I have been around long enough to know that in FWF you may get your butt handed to you, and if you are not a know it all, and respect the wisdom here, you will pull some of the best information on the intrawebs out of it. An alt would not stop either of those scenarios.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014